magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official BEEPING troubleshooting thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mel1daa;
Good job. NOW if everyone else who is having this problem did the same and even called all the major outlets who sell the MJ MAYBE, MAYBE it might get MJ's attention. When one gets hit in the pocketbook then one takes notice. If enough people call Walmart and Radio Shack and all the rest and maybe they in turn call MJ, hey who knows...
I agree with you I hate having to give a statement to everyone I call via my MJ about the beeps.
My work around prevents that but it is not the same as picking up my MJ to call.. YET it works just fine.....for now..

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a google search on annoying beep tones on VOIP. All I can say is WOW........ Vonage and other VOIP's have been having this problem FOR YEARS ( I saw one as far back as 2004).. Seems as though the latest MJ update just made an existing problem worse.
Everything from what I read points to a persons voice causing most of the problems, especially females ( thanks Murphy). If this is the case I really don't see much help coming our way....

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tdeppa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: beeping problem Reply with quote

I also have noticed that the problem has gotten much worse over the last few weeks. Did not have any beeping one month ago. Glad I didn't cancel my landline.
fulcrum
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's friends began complaining the last couple days, however, I haven't heard any beeps myself when I call from my cell phone or work phone. So my wife decided to email Magic Jack, and below is the response she recieved. She however has not tried this fix, and I'm afraid too as everyone says the beeping has gotten worse after they have upgraded.

Has anyone tried this? Is this the same solution Magic Jack has provided previously?

==============

Please click on the link to download and run the upgrade with the magicJack plugged in.
http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe When done, perform the following.

Right click on "My Computer" then select "Properties".

Click the "Advanced" tab and you will see something called "Performance" and click on the "Settings" button there.

Now click the "Advanced" tab in there as well and you will see something called "Processor Scheduling".

Check the round button called "Background Services" then click “Apply” then “OK”.

Please restart your magicJack by clicking on the dialpad “Menu” then “Advance Users” then “Restart”. Try a couple of calls to see if the quality improves.

==========

Fulcrum
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there done that via "Arnold" who replied to my email to Dan.
Doesnt work, NONE of what they suggest works.
If you email him back and say it doesnt work the next step will either be to run the update from their web page or format the MJ. Again neither will work.
The only work around I have found is to forward your MJ calls to your landline ( I have naked DSl and can only receive calls not make them on my landline) If you need to make a call I use dukadial ( free) http://labs.jaduka.com/dukadial. From there I enter any # I want to call and it calls me back ( again on my landline) for free. Have not had a single beep this way. Sucks I can't just pick up my MJ to make a call or receive one, but those beeps are getting worse and more annoying.
Of course if you do not have a land line this wont work. If you have a cell and use Verizon and have a 10 list you can add your MJ# to your 10 and when someone calls you MJ and it goes to your cell, you cell sees the MJ# as one of your 10 ( if you add it of course) and then you won't use up any of your min.
Until MJ fixes the beep problem this is the ONLY fix that works for me

Joe Sica
fulcrum
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it is possible to change the tone. Since It appears that the beeping may due to a function. Perhaps a less irritating tone, or a softer tone, or maybe even MUTE.

The only issue that I foresee could happen is when "muted" is that when you dial a phone number you won't hear any push button tones at all.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone suggested ( Murphy) it is in fact the built in Touchtone decoder in the MJ dongle itself which is picking up the voices ( mostly female) and interpreting it as a tone.. IF this is the case I would think some dongles are more sensitive to this that others.
So I am not sure how one would change or mute the tone in the MJ itself. IF you figure out a way please share with the rest of us "TONE DEAF" MJ users Smile

Just my 2 cents....

Joe Sica
washpci
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Intermittent Beeps! Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I have tried ALL of the MJ fixes, without success.

My particular set of symptoms are that those I speak with hear many beeps, I hear them, but very rarely. When I hear them, the other party does not. On a very rare occasion, we will both hear them.

I have friends helping me with this problem. We have noted that the tones come nearly everytime I speak, but never when they speak.

No I am not a woman. I actually have a reasonably deep male voice. So I don't think it is a voice frequency issue. Maybe it has something to do with MJ interpreting a volume level on the source end (my end) and doing something funky with programming which may actually generate the tone by programming.

I would be very interested to know, from other MJ users, if the tones are heard by the "other party" while the other party is speaking

Go figure!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes they hear them when they are speaking and sometimes when I am speaking. PLUS just yesterday they heard one beep when neither one of us was speaking!! So really go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I mentioned since I started using my work around late yesterday there ahve been NO BEEPS. Sucks as that is not the reason I bought my MJ, but it does work and I will continue using it this way till MAYBE they fox it.
Remember, complain complain complain to them. Go into a Wal-Mart? Mention it to the store manager, I did. Same goes for wherever they are selling MJ. Eventually someone will get the message, I hope so anyway.

Joe Sica
washpci
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Beeps! Reply with quote

Some interesting observations...

1)Not all Magic Jack owners exhibit this symptom
2) Among those of us that do have the problem, our symptom seems to be occuring under a variety of different conditions.
3) The nature of this error suggests weak (faulty) components used within the MJ unit. This happens way too often, whenever a manufacturer is more concerned about price than quality. With poor quality control (hence weak, marginal quality components), users should expect to have a variety of intermittent problems manifested.

I have spent my entire adult life troubleshooting electronics equipment. In the old days, we had the ability to take a device, reproduce the error, attach test equipment and troubleshoot right down to a defective gate within a chip. I am no expert on Mj, but it cannot be complicated. I am quite sure that the engineer(s) at MJ have this ability as well.

I suspect that we have been looking at this from the wrong approach all together.

We all know that business decisions are based too many times on the bottom line only. If MJ has cuts corners with the quality of their product components (this appears to be true), it is also reasonable to assume that MJ DOES KNOW what is happening and has weighed the cost of replacing thousands of MJ's against the bad reputation they are now facing.

They say in their advertising that they are adding 250,000 customers per month. If that is true, and if the cost to fix these problems is too high, they might just let it go and simply say.... We don't know.

From what I see, this seems to be what has happened here.

If so, this is just another case of the consumer paying the price for a manufacturer who operates by ensuring that the product goes out before the quality goes it. It is a real shame that they won'y step up to the plate and do what is needed to fix it.
sierrahh
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Experiencing involuntary beeptones during every conversation Reply with quote

Virtually every phone call I make or receive involves the intermittent beeptones, which I cannot hear, but the person I am talking to can hear.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoying isnt it? Makes one look like a 3yr using a phone for the first time. Imagine using the MJ for business and making a call to a potential client!!
Different phones, all the things MJ support has one do does NOTHING to fix a problem THEY CAUSED on the June 9th downgrade.
All I can say is what I have said before complain complain complain.
[email protected] and don't have them make you jump through hoops trying to fix it. Tell THEM to fix it on their end.

Joe Sica
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agress washpci, IF this problem didn't explode after the June 9th downgrade....
It is possible whatever they changed in their software made SOME of the marginal hardware out there exibit this problem. So buying a new one would be just the luck of the draw to get one that works.

Have a feeling this is something well will have to live with for a very long time..

Joe Sica
sierrahh
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ANY UPDATE ON THE BEEPING FIX? Reply with quote

WayneStation wrote:
OK, I went to live chat support and he had me open Mozilla Firefox, click "Tools", then "Option" then go to the "Content" Tab. Then he had me go to the "Exceptions" button beside the "Block pop up Window" and put in "reg.talk4free.com" and click "Allow" button. Then add "my.magicjack.com" and click "Allow" button. Then he had me go to the Security tab, click Exceptions button besides "Warn me when site try to install add-ons" and add the same two websites there.

Then he had me run the upgrade at http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe. I tried a call and had no beep for five minutes.

Perhaps the issue is that Firefox is preventing something from taking place during the upgrade. I will have to make a few more calls to know for sure if the problem is really fixed because it is intermittent.

Wayne

Vista - USB Powered Hub

I am using Windows XP, with Internet Explorer, so I don't think this is a Firefox issue.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the upgrade has made my MJ more responsive it has caused the beeping to get much worse.

In a 20 min. conversation with my daughter in Virgina it beeped a total of 9 times,normally it beeps two or three times during a call.

Sounds like the person you are talking to is hitting a touch tone number key with their chin, and yes it's very loud and annoying. Sad
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it beep 9 times or more in a 3 min convo with my mom!! So yes WAY WAY worse. People who hear the beep now never heard one before the downgrade on 6/9. Myself yes I always heard a beep since day one ( Aug 2008) but I got used to them and since no one else heard them I didn't care. Sure they were anoying at times but I have had 2 hrs conversation and maybe I heard them a total of 10 times, maybe a little less. NOTHING like what is happening now. not even close.
So whatever they did on 6/9 really mucked things up. Now getting them to admit this? HA good luck...
250,000 a month sold ( so they say) so lets say 1/2 of 1% ( 1250 units or so) are having this problem, like an ant stepping on an elephant's toes, no one cares.

Joe Sica
mel1daa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kills me is the amount of time that is being wasted on this by all of us. I have spent time returning phones (thinking that was the culprit), troubleshooting, and talking with tech support. Not to mention the distraction it is when having a conversation! ("it just beeped again!") So far my emails to [email protected] have resulted in two replies 1) Make sure your default sound device is not USB TigerJet blah blah.. and 2) try bypassing your router.

Obviously tech suppt has no clue with this problem and the only thing I'm glad about right now is that I didn't purchase the 5-year plan. At some point I'm going to have to give up on MJ and as much as I'd hate to, switch to Comcast.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep all scripted answers and then after that? You don't hear back. One would think if MANY people are emailing about this problem the script DOESN'T work!!
And yes the "it beeped again" comment is JUST as annoying as the beeps are to the person we are calling!!
As I mentioned the work around DOES work with no beeps but not everyone can use it ( no landline and no Verizon 10).
I think the best we can hope for is when they push through another "Lucky You" on us they will fix this ( but break something else!)

Time will tell, till then it is Duka Dial for me and forwarding my MJ calls to my landline

Joe Sica
chile.man
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Magicjack Beeps Reply with quote

This is the reply I got:

I am Arnold and was asked by Dan to address you and help out with your issue. Please try this.

Go to start in windows and then click on "Control Panel". Once in there double click on "Sounds and Audio Devices" in there click on the "Audio" Tab. In there make sure that the Sound Playback and Sound recording are set to the Internal card on the computer, make sure it does not say "USB Internet Phone by Tigerjet". Once you have made sure of that, click the little checkmark at the bottom that says "Use Only Default Devices". Now click Apply and ok. Try a couple of calls to see if that helps. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Arnold

Did not work BTW
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya think ?? Smile
NOTHING they ask you to do will fix it since it is something they caused with the 6/9 downgrade.
I am not sure how long it will take for them to get that!! One can only hope...

Joe Sica
fulcrum
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading through other posts I came upon 2 other suggestions that may or may not help.

A) Use a powered 2.0 USB hub.
As mentioned in the thread "I need suggestions on the beeping noises using magic jack": http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/i-need-suggestions-on-the-beeping-noises-using-magicjack-t5894.html. Further down the 1st page another thread address is given that talks about a powered hub called "Buy Powered USB Hub???": http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/buy-powered-usb-hub-t4822.html which then gives the website for the on-line store (WindMill) that sells them and spouts about how Magic Jack Techs recommend this powered hub: http://www.windmilltrading.com/USBProds/4_Port_AC_Powered_USB_Hub_2000mA_HUB-4U2ABK.htm

B) Reduce the Volume and Speaker Levels of your head set, as allowed on the MJ pop-up window.
Go to the thread "I need suggestions on the beeping noises using magic jack": http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/i-need-suggestions-on-the-beeping-noises-using-magicjack-t5894.html. The 8th post in this thread is from newtoncd, who states... "the people we call have noticed it has happened much less often when I turned back the volume on the magicJack GUI, have you tried that (via the Menu -> Volume/Headset control)? I have the slider all the way to the left on both speaker/microphone.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither works...................

Joe Sica
chile.man
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest reply from Arnold:

Protocol (TCP/IP) and click it>click on Properties. In there check the little circle that says ”use the following DNS Server address”. In Preferred DNS address, type in: 67.90.152.122, click OK and OK .Now restart your magicJack by going to Menu>Advanced user> Restart.

Sincerely,

Arnold

Does this work for anybody out there?
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, since the June 9 upgrade my MJ service has gotten only better. As I stated on another thread, I didn't even know I had been upgraded - this one apparently happened invisibly when the machine was rebooted after Microsoft Patch Tuesday. Now that I look back, the call quality has gotten better since the upgrade and no one has complained about hearing touch tones or beeps.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you are one lucky MJ user hsweiss.
Seems as though a LOT of people are now having the beep problem after the update. It is so bad for me now I have disconnected my MJ and use Dukadial to make calls and have the MJ foward it's calls to my landline ( receive calls only). Right now it is the only way I will use my MJ, to forward my calls and no beeps. I am not even sure if I will renew come this Aug. Shame as I LOVE(d) my MJ and it has worked perfectly since day 1 till June 9th.

Joe Sica
CLUSTERBUCK
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: I am also having problems with the beeping others hear. Reply with quote

I emailed dan the man [email protected] to see what I could get from them. below is what I emailed to him. You will notice I have been doing some trouble shooting with my mj and here is what I have found. Please let me know if anyone knows what to do with it.

I have had my Magic Jack for a little over a year now. I love it to death, but I seem to be having problems with the people I'm talking to hearing beeps, like I'm hitting the buttons on the phone. I have tried 3 Different phone and still the same result. I am using my magic jack on a stand alone computer. I have nothing on the computer except the XP pro operating system. Here is a link to a forum that shows many people have the same issues. http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/any-update-on-the-beeping-fix-t6439.html

Here is a test I ran myself. Maybe it will shine some light on the problem. If I call my cell phone using my phone plugged into the magic jack I hear the beeps on my cell phone,(like the person I call hears) and the soft phone shows a number being pushed when I didn't push one. But I don't hear the beeps on the phone plugged into the magic jack. (the beeps are only heard by the receiving party) If I push a button on my phone plugged into the magic jack I hear the beeps on both phones and the soft phones shows that a button has been pushed. (this is normal with all phones) but if I hit a key on the soft phone I don't hear the beeps on the phone plugged into the magic jack phone but I hear it on my cell phone. (the person I'm talking to hears the beeps) So in other words, when I'm talking with someone they hear beeps on their end but I don't hear them. I can only hear the beeps on both phones if I actually push a button on the phone plugged into the magic jack. This leads me to think its an issue with the soft phone. It seems the soft phone just dials a number now and again that the receiving party hears, but I don't hear. And the digit dialed shows on the soft phone. Another way of looking at it is this. If I'm talking with someone and I keep hitting a button on the soft phone they can hear the beeps but I cant, (reproduction of the problem) but if I keep hitting a button on the phone plugged into the magic jack we both hear the beeps. Either way the soft phone shows the number being hit. This is why I believe its the soft phone

I have had the beeping problem since I first bought the mj. The reason Im just now looking for a fix is that is just got worse than ever. And I also have went through all the fixes that mj told me to with no result.

Last edited by CLUSTERBUCK on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
newtoncd
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fulcrum wrote:
Just reading through other posts I came upon 2 other suggestions that may or may not help.

A) Use a powered 2.0 USB hub.
As mentioned in the thread "I need suggestions on the beeping noises using magic jack": http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/i-need-suggestions-on-the-beeping-noises-using-magicjack-t5894.html. Further down the 1st page another thread address is given that talks about a powered hub called "Buy Powered USB Hub???": http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/buy-powered-usb-hub-t4822.html which then gives the website for the on-line store (WindMill) that sells them and spouts about how Magic Jack Techs recommend this powered hub: http://www.windmilltrading.com/USBProds/4_Port_AC_Powered_USB_Hub_2000mA_HUB-4U2ABK.htm

B) Reduce the Volume and Speaker Levels of your head set, as allowed on the MJ pop-up window.
Go to the thread "I need suggestions on the beeping noises using magic jack": http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/i-need-suggestions-on-the-beeping-noises-using-magicjack-t5894.html. The 8th post in this thread is from newtoncd, who states... "the people we call have noticed it has happened much less often when I turned back the volume on the magicJack GUI, have you tried that (via the Menu -> Volume/Headset control)? I have the slider all the way to the left on both speaker/microphone.

I have done both A and B .... beeps still happen. The reduction in the sliders helped a bit, but with the recent upgrade, it is worse than ever.
chile.man
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magicjack went from Hero to Goat in one upgrade. The MJ now officially sucks.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and as of Tuesday I stopped recommending it to ANYONE. So many people have bought it because of me and they in turn got others to buy it. No more not again..

Joe Sica
mel1daa
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait! Maybe it's the dns settings, or sound card settings, or router, or processor performance...

All WONDERFUL suggestions by tech suppt... Confused
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe JUST maybe it was their update?? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can't be that....

I am waiting to hear them say it is to much dust in the power suppy, yeah that's it, that's the ticket.. It's Morgan Fairchild's fault. Yeah......

Idiots.......................

Joe Sica
Cali4236
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: I am having the same annoying problem Reply with quote

I use my phone for work and it stinks when I am reminded of the beeping noise from the caller. I used to hear the beeping on my end and it is now on the receiver's end. I read all the messages on this forum and hoping MJ people will soon send a fix. I use my MJ for conference calls so you can just imagine. I am also going to send an email to [email protected] shortly.

I have called them and they gave me all the fixes posted here but I tried them and nothing works. I even connected MJ on my home pc and still does it.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as if that "update" reversed the beeping problem for me and you. Mine did the same thing since day one, I heard the beeps, no one else did. I learned to live with it. NOW I can't live with it and my MJ is now unplugged from my PC and in a drawer. I will continue to read here and HOPE someone will say, WOW THEY FIXED IT. Then I will plug it back in and stop using my work around.
Trust me emailing Dan is good but will be of NO HELP. I wish someone had Dan's REAL email address and we could all just send him this link. MAYBE then, who knows..

Joe Sica
chile.man
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read from the bottom - up.

From Arnold the MJ bullshitter,

Please try this.

Go to Control Panel and click System
Click Advanced tab
Under Performance, click Settings
Under Visual Effects Tab, click the round button Adjust for best performance
Click Apply then OK then OK then COMMIT.

If that doesn't work:

Please go to menu on your magicJack, click headset/volume control and lower the volume for both microphone and speakers to about 1/3 of max. Please update us the result. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Arnold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Arnold,

At my wit's end. Have tried everything you suggested. Just got off a 20 minute call full of beeps and now clicks on the other end. Clear on my side but quite noisy on the other side. Please help if possible. Thanks

Chile
----- Original Message -----
To: ChileMan
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:29 AM
Subject: RE: Magicjack

Hi

Go to Control Panel>Network Connections>right click on your active Internet connection> select Properties>scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click it>click on Properties. In there check the little circle that says ”use the following DNS Server address”. In Preferred DNS address, type in: 67.90.152.122, click OK and OK .Now restart your magicJack by going to Menu>Advanced user> Restart.

Sincerely,

Arnold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:27 AM
To: Dan Borislow
Subject: Re: Magicjack

Have done everything you suggested. Still not fixed. Now what? Please advise. My livelyhood depends on my phone use. Please hurry.
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:51 AM

Hi,

Please click on the link to download and run the upgrade:

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe Thank you.

Sincerely,

Arnold

Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:46 AM

Now I get an Error 401 message on startup, why?
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:02 AM

Hi,

Let us try this.

Click Start tab and open your control panel... Go to internet options.. under privacy tab.. Slide the bar down to "allow all cookies" under security tab click on "trusted sites" then click the "sites" button.. Type the following address into the text bar.. reg.talk4free.com click the "add" button.. Now type in the following address.. my.magicjack.com and click "add". Uncheck the box at bottom left of window that says "require server verification..." click "ok" then click "apply" close the internet options.

Unplug the magic jack and plug it back into a different usb port. Hope this helps. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Arnold

Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:55 PM

Thanks. Tried it. Did an upgrade. Still the same problem. Please advise. Just purchased your 5 year plan a month ago.
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:22 PM

I am Arnold and was asked by Dan to address you and help out with your issue. Please try this.

Go to start in windows and then click on "Control Panel". Once in there double click on "Sounds and Audio Devices" in there click on the "Audio" Tab. In there make sure that the Sound Playback and Sound recording are set to the Internal card on the computer, make sure it does not say "USB Internet Phone by Tigerjet". Once you have made sure of that, click the little checkmark at the bottom that says "Use Only Default Devices". Now click Apply and ok. Try a couple of calls to see if that helps. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Arnold

Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:21 PM
Subject: Magicjack

Person on the other end of my call hears beeps, like I'm pressing the number keys. Why?
fulcrum
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the MJ servers were hit with a virus, and now all calls going through them get the beeping noise.
x0r0
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i been getting this to wan im on the phone with my girl i thought she was messing around with me hitting the button on me from time to time i ask her to stop not knowing it was mj lol damn mj getting me in a fight with my girl and shit but it dont happen a lot maybe 1 or 2 times a call and from time to time i get a blue screen and the pc reboots on me anyone else get this? i know its mj cuz wan i unplug it it works fine with no reboots
Cali4236
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what they had me do couple of days ago and still hearing the beeps. I just made a call and noticed on the sofphone pad the numbers 882 after the phone number I dailed. I never noticed that before. I hope they fix this soon.

Paul: 1. On your desktop screen, please click on START button then open Control Panel.

Paul: 2. On Control panel, please open the "Internet Options" icon.

Paul: 3. In Internet Options window, please click on "Privacy" then slide down the bar to "Accept All Cookies".

Paul: 4. Click the "Security" tab.

Paul: 5. Select "Trusted Sites" then click the "Sites" button.

Paul: 6. On Trusted Sites window, Uncheck the box beside "Require Server Verification (https:) for all sites in this zone".

Paul: 7. Please type "https://reg.talk4free.com " on the box below "Add this Web site to the zone".

Paul: 8. Click the "Add" button.

Paul: 9. After adding, Add this site also: https://my.magicjack.com then click Add.

Paul: 10. Click on close.

Paul: 11. Click the OK button on Internet Options window.

Paul: 1. Please click Start button on your desktop.

Paul: 2. Please select Control Panel then open on "Network Connections".

Paul: 3. In there, please right-click on your active Internet connection (Local Area Connection) and select "Properties".

Paul: 4. Scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click it.

Paul: 5. click on "Properties" button.

Paul: 6. In there, check the little circle that says "Use the following DNS Server Address".

Paul: 7. In "Preffered DNS Address" type in: 67.90.152.122

Paul: 8. in "Alternate DNS Server" type in: 67.107.71.186

Paul: 9. Please click OK button and OK button again.
Cali4236
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the email I just sent:

Good morning,

I have contacted your company many times regarding the issue with the keypads beeping noise that the caller hears. It used to be on my end but now it is on the caller's end. This is very annoying. And few days ago, I had someone from your co telling me to do all kinds of fixing but still did not work.

There are a bunch of us having the same problem. You can go to the following blog and see how many of your customers are having this problem and how many of us will not be renewing because your product stinks.

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/search.php?mode=results

The beeping issue is due to an upgrade did with MJ back on 06/09/09. The issue is on your end, not ours, so please fix it.

Thank you.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't get it is their fault. MAYBE if we had Dan's actual email or a way to contact him. I have a feeling it has to be a different person we get when we email [email protected]. I mean IF it was the same person you would think BY NOW he would see nothing he tells us to do works. And MANY many people are having the same problem. Either that or they are REALLY dumb there.

I have not used my MJ since Monday of this week because of the beeps I cant have a conversation with anyone anymore without them pointing out EVERY beep. So into a drawer it went till they fix it. If you look back I have a work around that will work for some, but not all.
Hopefully the right person at MJ will get wind of this problem and do something about it, till then we are S.O.L.

Joe Sica
jcc2z
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: I still haven't got mine to work Reply with quote

Well, just to add another user to this topic, mine still doesn't work either.

They had me to download that upgrade yesterday, and I thought it fixed it but nope. I wish I wouldn't have downloaded the upgrade now, because it seems worse.

They make a crap load of money off of people buying magicjack, surely to god they can afford for someone to write a software fix for it, or atleast find out what the problem is and post it for independent users to try and fix.

I am like most, this MJ is my personal phone service, and I don't have anything else, so if they don't fix it .. and I mean quick .. I will never buy the service again.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Then you are one lucky MJ user hsweiss.
Seems as though a LOT of people are now having the beep problem after the update. It is so bad for me now I have disconnected my MJ and use Dukadial to make calls and have the MJ foward it's calls to my landline ( receive calls only). Right now it is the only way I will use my MJ, to forward my calls and no beeps. I am not even sure if I will renew come this Aug. Shame as I LOVE(d) my MJ and it has worked perfectly since day 1 till June 9th.

Joe Sica

Just curious - have you tried figuring out what your local MJ proxy server is and tried blocking it? I am wondering if there is a problem with one (or a few) proxies since this is NOT a universal problem - me being the shining example of not having the beeps/tones. I used to have a LOT of echo on calls to my local area code. But a while back, I blocked access to some of the most oversubscribed MJ servers (e.g., NYC, Miami, LA) and my service quality went up many fold and the echo problem went away. I still have those servers blocked even though its been many, many months and maybe they've increased their server capacity.

Just as a test try to block your proxy (see the wiki for info) and then see if your mileage varies. It's obviously their problem but you may be able to work around them.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that done that.. NOTHING helps. Where I live in PA have never had echo or any problems ay all with my MJ till the downgrade Tuesday June 9th.
In fact I stopped using it all together. Till I read in this forum they fixed it I will continue to use my work around. No beeps clear calls and zero problems. Just a bit cumbersome to use but it gets the job done, for now anyway. Also I have stopped recomending it to people. And I did that A LOT.. Of course not even a ding in what MJ sells but at least I feel I am doing something to MAYBE get their attention on the bottom line ( I know I know, dream on)

Joe Sica
fulcrum
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they KNOW about the problem, and they are working to fix it as quickly as possible, but "prove out / testing" takes a while (I'm sure all programmers out there would agree). I don't think MJ wants make a quick fix and end up making more problems.

I also don't expect them to come out with a statement to the general public or to their customer base admitting the problem, as this could cost them ca$h flow from sales, which they need since they have to pay for all the advertising they have been doing lately. Any admission of a problem, would not only slow sales, but give their customer base ammunition to request a refund.

Instead, they are working on it silently, and providing ineffective replies.

Since I purchased my MJ 2wks ago, I've only known of one upgrade, which was on 6/9/2009. However, I would like to know how often MJ provides updates. Does anyone know the MJ history for software updates?
Cali4236
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Response from MJ today 06-18-09 Reply with quote

Here is the reply I received today.

Has anyone tried this? I do have a router but before I start disconecting the 2 pc's I have plus work laptop from wireless router, I want to know if someone has tried their suggestion and if it worked. Thanks.

My name is Arnold and was asked by Dan to address you and help out with your issue. We apologize for the inconvenience. Do you have a router that you use to connect to the Internet through. If you do, please try to bypass the router and instead plug the modem straight into the computer and then try some calls to see if that solves the issue. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Arnold
fulcrum
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous members have posted about the frequency of the voice causing the touch tones to occur. From what I've read, it occurs with both Male and Female voices, but the Female voice experience it more.

That made me think that there might be a phone filter out there that could either (a) filter out the touch tone sounds, or (b) keep the voices from hitting the specific frequenicies that cause the touch tone sound to be emitted.

In my brief research, I stumbled upon how DSL fiters work: http://www.ehow.com/about_5057661_dsl-phone-filters.html. The website states "DSL filters work by, essentially, acting as a filter to keep voice and data conversations from encroaching into one another's frequency ranges". Since our voice data is being carried through a cable line carrying other data, I wonder if the last MJ update causes the MJ filter to work less efficient.

If that is the case, I wonder if it is possible to purchase an additional filter to attached to MJ to make the internal filter more effective... prescreening voices, so that the MJ filter has less to manage. Another link I found describes how to make your own DSL filter. http://www.ehow.com/how_4828695_build-dsl-filter.html.

I realize that the "How to Build a DSL Filter" information is for a DSL system. But for brain storming purposes, anyone who is gifted circuitry might be able to design one for use with MJ.

Or Perhaps there are other phone filters already on the market just waiting to be stumbled upon.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another scripted answer they gave you Cali4236 that does NOTHING to solve a problem THEY caused...........

Joe Sica
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea Fulcrum but I THINK someone in this here topic ( 95 messages and growing!) tried a DSL filter but I could be wrong. However your idea of maybe tweaking a DSL filer or making one from scratch to filter out the beeps might be a viable way to combat this problem. I will leave it to the smart ones on here, and you know who you are, to confirm or deny.

Joe Sica
svguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack....glad I am not alone! I too have tried many work arounds to no avail. The last "tech" gal had me change my firewall settings...to add magic jack as an exception. I thought that had fixed the problem but NOPE. Sound quality on my end is good and the beeps don't usually start for 3-5 minutes in, but after that they start picking up in intensity. Freaking weird!!

As for going around a router, that wont work...tried it. My guess is there are a lot of MJ users who do not use it much or make very short phone calls and hence do not know of this issue....and/or they do not know how to use google and find this forum to see that there are others in pain.

I use my MJ for my small biz.....really helps my overhead, but looks like I will have to cave in and get other phone service. Evil or Very Mad
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fulcrum wrote:
My guess is that they KNOW about the problem, and they are working to fix it as quickly as possible, but "prove out / testing" takes a while (I'm sure all programmers out there would agree). I don't think MJ wants make a quick fix and end up making more problems.

I also don't expect them to come out with a statement to the general public or to their customer base admitting the problem, as this could cost them ca$h flow from sales, which they need since they have to pay for all the advertising they have been doing lately. Any admission of a problem, would not only slow sales, but give their customer base ammunition to request a refund.

Instead, they are working on it silently, and providing ineffective replies.

Since I purchased my MJ 2wks ago, I've only known of one upgrade, which was on 6/9/2009. However, I would like to know how often MJ provides updates. Does anyone know the MJ history for software updates?

This is the major problem I have with MJ - they do everything silently - other than the infomercials. Their "tech" support is totally out of step with engineering. They are totally uninformed and are working entirely from scripts. They will tell you anything you want to know whether it be the truth or not. They will always tell you - after you've jumped thru several dozen hoops and spent countless hours with them to no avail - that the problem will be reported to the "engineers" and it should be cleared up in 24 hours, or 48 hours, or within the week, etc. None of what they say ever comes to pass and the "engineers" never announce anything. Its very frustrating for everyone.

Right now, my MJ is still working fine but I know, based on the traffic on this thread, that I'm very lucky. Tech support tried to push the burden of the problem onto the user when they should be informed that the problem is with MJ and provide what the "real" status is of the fix.
FedUpWithMagicJack
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: REAL CONTACT INFO AND COMPLAINT FORM AVAILABLE Reply with quote

If you really want to complain about Magic Jack, here is how:

http://www.seflorida.bbb.org/ComplaintDetail.aspx?CompanyID=92003333

That is their actual physical address, name of the person in charge, and the Better Business form to fill out an official complaint against them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: