magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tech Support, Hmmmm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyTK
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Tech Support, Hmmmm Reply with quote

Ok, so I forgot my password but look at this runaround I got from MJ "Tech Support Chat-line" Not only are they totally worthless, they have a major problem with the english language

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Geraldine'
Geraldine: Hello, how may I help you?
User Name: System will not function without password for some reason. I don't remember it and multiple request to your system have gone unanswered
Geraldine: My apologies for the inconvenience however can I have the email address being used to check this?
User Name: Sure, [email protected]
Geraldine: I see
Geraldine: Have you gone to my.magicjack.com yet?
User Name: Yes, it was there that I requested the passcode be sent to my email
Geraldine: Have you double checked your email yet?
Geraldine: You can open another internet browser to double check User
User Name: checked multiple times but I will look again now
Geraldine: Thank you
User Name: still nothing
Geraldine: Okay
Geraldine: May I know the reason why you want to access the account User?
User Name: as I stated earlier, the Magic Jack does not work and is asking for a password. I don't have one and this is my account.
Geraldine: Please unplug the magicJack for 2 minutes then plug it back again
User Name: Already done but will do it one more time
Geraldine: Thank you
User Name: Still the same. ALL I NEED IS MY PASSCODE SENT TO MY E-MAIL
Geraldine: Okay
Geraldine: User, the reason why I cannot provide you the password is for security purposes. For you to have the password, you may ask for it and since it still wasn't sent to you, my apologies. The thing that I can do on our end is to resend the password to your email address which was done a few minutes ago. I believe there have been a problem with the internet as of the moment why it wasn't yet received. Can I ask you to please try to check this again after a few minutes still or even an hour or so?
User Name: I guess I have no other choice. Unfortunately I was depending on the system to work.
Geraldine: My apologies for the inconvenience User
User Name: I don't blame you but the Majic Jack system certainly has problems if it needs a passcode to activate everytime. Good thing I got this on a trial basis only. Kinda answers the question as to whether or not it is worth the hassle
Geraldine: Yes, you do have the option User and that is the purpose of the trial period.
User Name: Yep. but of even more concern, it will not allow calls to my own home phone.. I can call just about anywhere else but ny home phone cannot be called. Weird
SECOND ATTEMPT FOR ASSISTANCE
Mandy: Hello, how may I help you?
Mandy: Good day to you User..
Mandy: How are you?
User Name: Mandy, I've been trying all morning to get your system to send my passcode to my E-Mail address. Apparently the system will not log on to the proxy until uI put in the passcode and I don';t remember it
Mandy: Okay. Can I have your email eddress User?
Mandy: *address
User Name: sure, it's "[email protected]"
Mandy: Can I also have your full name?
User Name: My Name
User Name: don't know if you need it but middle initial is X.
Mandy: Thank you for that User.
Mandy: I will send to your email the email address with your password.
Mandy: Okay.
Mandy: Please confirm User if you have received the email address and password.
User Name: Thank you. Not sure that it matters but I've had this conversation before
User Name: Yes please
Mandy: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!
User Name: no I have not received it
Mandy: Okay.
Mandy: Please wait for 2 hours User.
Mandy: I believe you will receive that at the email address also that you have given me.
User Name: already been waiting for 4 hours]
Mandy: I have sent it to you again.
User Name: This is the second time I’ve contacted the chat help. TO no avail
Mandy: Open your email address from time to time User.
Mandy: I do apologize but I will keep on sending your email address and password User so that you will receive not just one notification regarding your password.
Mandy: Would that be okay?
User Name: Yes but really need the system.
Mandy: Yes I understand your concern.
User Name: Problem is that I went thru all of this a few hours ago with another chat rep.
Mandy: I would like to know if this account is active: [email protected]...
User Name: that is my account
Mandy: I am sure you will get it this time.
Mandy: Yes you open your email address and the confirmation was sent there.
User Name: just checked, still not heree
Mandy: Please wait for 2 hours User.
Mandy: We use Tech Chat to better assist you. By using Tech Chat, we can send you instant upgrade links and run several diagnostic tests, that cannot be done over the telephone. We are also able to see where you are located, what OS and Internet browser you are using. Lastly we can see that your Internet connection is working too.This will provide the best Customer care experience and keep you most satified.
Mandy: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.
Chat InformationPlease wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Bucky'
Bucky: Hello.
Bucky: Please allow me to check and read your previous chat so that I can assist you further, thank you
Bucky: Do you still remember the code of this address [email protected]?
User Name: what kind of code
Bucky: The password I mean.
User Name: If youre speaking passcode, no, that's what I'm trying to get sent to me.
Bucky: Okay
Bucky: An Email has been sent to [email protected], please check it in the next 30 minutes.
User Name: I've been told that since about 4 hours ago and still no passcode. I'm getting plenty of mail from other locations, what is the problem with your service?
Bucky: Please try to use the passcode that you use in opening your email account.
User Name: Have tried that and all others that I can think of. Can you just not verify who I am and reset the code to something new
Bucky: I apologize but in order to renew the password it also need a new email address.
User Name: You mean for me to get this darned thing working I have to change my E-Mail address?? unacceptable. Please provide a telephone number I can call to speak to supervisory personnel.
Bucky: I am the Supervisor.
User Name: Need to go higher apparently. This should not be a difficult problem to solve
Bucky: May I know who registered the device?

User Name: I did. Name is User Name, address is XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Bucky: Okay
Bucky: You did not save your password incase you have forgotten it?
User Name: As I'm requesting it that should be apparent. Your system states that it will supply it to me and it has not.
Bucky: Yes, I am sending you the passcode, please do wait
THIRD ATTEMPT FIVE HOURS TRYING
Luke: Hello, how may I help you?
User Name: This is the third request for assistance
Luke: May I know the exact nature of your problem with full details please?
User Name: Chat reps have said that they are going to send me an e-mail with my passcode but none have done so yet and it has now been 5.5 hours since first request
User Name: would you like a transcript of the previous chats
Luke: Is this your Email Address: [email protected] ?
User Name: yes it is
Luke: May i clarify is that a password or passcode?
User Name: what ever it is that the Magic Jack system is asking for so that it can verify itself on the internet
User Name: request consists of My E-mail address and password?
Luke: Okay, i will resend your email and password please check it on this Email Address: [email protected] .
User Name: checking
Luke: Thanks for using magicJack!
Luke: Email has been sent to [email protected]
Luke: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
User Name: no receipt
Luke: Please double check it again.

User Name: one moment
User Name: No receipt. I am receiving e-mail from multiple other locations but none from Magic Jack. Is your system functional?
Luke: Please try to check on you spam, bulk or trash mail.
User Name: Not there either
User Name: Please provide me an e-mail address that I can write you and you can respond with my code.
Luke: Please try to check it after an hour User for you to receive your email address and password.
User Name: I have been thru this multiple times today each time I'm told to check mail in one to two hours. It has been 5.5 hours and no response. Please provide real help
Luke: Is it okay with you if i will transfer you to our higher level of support?
User Name: I have already talked to higher level but go ahead
Luke: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.
Chat InformationPlease wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Therese'
Therese: Hi
User Name: Hi
User Name: Multiple requests for assistance have simply provided frustration. I simply want you to send my password to my e-mail address. Your organization does not seem to be able to use e-mail.
User Name: This has been going on now for almost 6 hours
Therese: Let me check .
Therese: May I have your magicJack phone number?
User Name: sure xxx-xxx-xxxx
Therese: thanks.
Therese: Please hold.
Therese: Email Address: [email protected]
Therese: That is your email
Therese: Can you still remember the password?
User Name: No, that is why I am requesting it
User Name: and yes that is my e-mail address
Therese: Please click the link below and click the "Remind me By Email" button. An email with your password will be sent to your registered email address.
Therese: http://my.magicjack.com
User Name: I have done that somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 times in the last 6 hours
User Name: and yes, my email works fine, I have received approximately 15 messages in the last two hours
Therese: Please wait for it within 24 hours. That is the range of time .
User Name: Thaat is not acceptable. The context of this as well as all previous conversations will be forwarded to all advertising television stations that carry the Magic Jack add
User Name: Either provide me a real telephone number to call for resolution or provide an e-mail address so that I can mail you and you can respond with the needed passcode.
Therese: Please understand that all transactions through email will take at least 24 hours. If you want , i will be the one who will send it .
Therese: I noted your issue here as PRiority.
User Name: So you refuse to send a real contact point?
Therese: Not at this time. Since all information , you will receive it through email .
User Name: Then I have no other choice but to make our complete conversation public record with those advertising stations carrying the Magic Jack adds. You lack of assistance is amazing considering the fact that I assume you're actually being paid
User Name: Good bye
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check your spam folder?

I just did "remind me" and the email arrived in 1 second. If it's not doing it for you, the email must be getting caught by spam filters. Or, you forgot the address you used to register(?).

Mark
MagicHack
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyTK: Do you have the file: <MJ_DRIVE_LETTER>:\magicJack\profile.db?
JohnnyFreightTRAIN
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she cant tell you your password because of security purposes, my ass!
One time my magicjack kept asking me for my email and password over and over again so I went to chat and asked about it and the tech support woman said:

"did you use this password: xxxxx"

They have access to all your info.
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly DO have access to passwords. As a matter of fact, they can CHANGE your password. I spent upwards of 3 hours with support on 3 occasions and after one chat finally agreed to send a replacement, they ended the chat by changing my password to a profane comment (F U) and cancelled the replacement (thanks Quinlan).
We'll be talking to Magicjack AND the FCC very soon.
BTW, I DO love the service, but don't tolerate being MF'd like this.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, let us know how that works out for you. Sounds like you really showed them!
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowride wrote:
they ended the chat by changing my password to a profane comment (F U) and cancelled the replacement (thanks Quinlan).

Smile Something tells me there's more to this story. Like, that your part of the conversation wasn't as pure as the driven snow either.

Personally, I think Quinlan deserves a promotion. I'd like to see more independence and creativeness from the dead chat folks.

Mark
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, let us know how that works out for you. Sounds like you really showed them!

I never said I was pure as the driven snow, but after 3 hours of updates, registry changes, file deletions, formats, over and over again, I said enough is enough and demanded a replacement. Quinlan deserves something for the initiative she showed, I want to make sure she gets it. What she did is WAY outa line, and if MJ HAD a privacy policy posted, common sense tells you unauthorized changes to one's account are just wrong.
I didn't mention about them charging my CC for an international card without my authorization did I? If you tolerate this kind of abuse, it'll only continue to get worse. As I said, I love the product, but I don't tolerate people accessing my account and changing passwords to profane comments, and making unauthorized charges to my CC.
You wouldn't tolerate me say FU to you on this board, but you're amused by it as a password change? Must be a MJ employee....
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowride wrote:
I didn't mention about them charging my CC for an international card

What "international card" is that? I wasn't aware of MJ selling one.

Mark
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:
slowride wrote:
I didn't mention about them charging my CC for an international card

What "international card" is that? I wasn't aware of MJ selling one.

Mark

They call it the IPP minutes card- $40
It was never even mentioned at any time during the chats. Then chat said they couldn't refund my money. There's something REALLY wrong at MJ if this behavior is acceptable there.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowride wrote:
They call it the IPP minutes card- $40.

Never heard of it. You can buy international minutes through your my.magicjack.com account portal. But, never heard of a $40 card.

Personally, I'm calling BS on your entire story.

But, it was entertaining.

Mark
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of it either until I received the email confirmation of the order. THAT'S my point.
Don't believe me? Send me your email and I'll send the text copies of the chats, and the email with my password change. Don't call BS if you're not willing to see the truth.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowride wrote:
Don't believe me? Send me your email and I'll send t....

[email protected]

I'll consider whatever you send. I'm not a cheerleader for MJ. But, your story sounds like BS.

Mark
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent what I said I would. I assume you will be objective and not post the information here.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowride wrote:
I've sent what I said I would. I assume you will be objective and not post the information here.

I read through it. (This will be the last time I ask anyone to send me their dead chat transcripts. If I want to shoot myself in the head, I'll just open my own chat session.).

What you depicted seems largely true (assuming you didn't edit the transcript beyond deleting personal info).

Here's my analysis:

1. I didn't see anything about an "international calling card." I suspect you saw a charge/authorization hit your card. Could this be due to the replacement they are sending you? Like, you have 30 days to return the original or they'll charge you for a new unit? Part of that process is to do an authorization to reserve those funds?

If that's the case, I agree that they should explain the deal to you. And, the description could be clearer. I'm critical of MJ's immature business processes, which seem to be implemented with complete disregard for the affect they'll have on customers (and therefore generate tons of ill will which could be *easily* avoided.).

2. I didn't see anything to justify "Quinlan's" password choice. I was expecting to see some derogatory comments on your side. But, nothing bad. A little impatience.

However, I would cut "Quinlan" some slack.

... 2a. Who hasn't wanted to tell a customer to screw themselves? I almost admire someone who actually does it. I agree you didn't do anything to deserve it (assuming the transcript is accurate). But, "Quinlan's" job has to be as unpleasant as your experience with him. Reading scripts (that he didn't write). Required to go through all the steps before he can escalate. Users who don't respect him, get frustrated.

... 2b. I would be even more inclined to overlook it because he's Indian. I'd rather encourage Indian helpdesk folks be more independent and assertive. If he went overboard, so what? I'd rather them err in that direction (instead of timidity).

The reason he changed your password could be that it's standard practice when someone reports their MJ is broken, and it is being replaced? Maybe "scrambling" the password is standard practice, part of disabling the account? Maybe he expressed himself when he scrambled your password, not thinking you would attempt to use your account any more, or retrieve your password.

3. I would be more concerned with how your replacement was canceled, without notice or explanation.

I've seen other people report the same thing. I bet that "chat" folks aren't authorized to make these commitments. I bet the "order" goes to another group who reject it based upon how long you've used the device, how much use you've gotten out of it (total minutes).

I think that's fair. If I got six months out of my MJ (with a 1-year plan), I could accept that things break, and I might have to buy a replacement. Ex. Should I get a free replacement after 11-1/2 months of service? If not, where should the line be drawn?

But, such criteria should be clearly defined. And, MJ's business processes should handle it better. Dead chat should be able to obtain definite approval or rejection.

I also think MJ should allow people to buy just the device (as a replacement), and transfer minutes (and phone number) to the new unit. That would make it more tolerable if a person is denied a free replacement, or wants to get a newer revision of hardware.

I've heard that it is possible to transfer minutes (and phone number). But, it sounds like it's dependent upon which chat person you talk to. It would be nice if it could be an official process. And, without buying the year that comes with a device. I bet that even if you reach someone who can transfer minutes, it will replace the one year that comes with a new unit. Not extend it.

Mark
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it was such a boring read. I didn't include the confirmation email about the IPP card, it wasn't mentioned at all in chat, it just showed up in a confirmation email.
I guess other than the obvious message in the new password, it is worrisome that there are NO OTHER ways to resolve a problem, and as I asked, chat is the only way to get a replacement. This will come back to bite MJ in the ass I'm sure.
I would give Quinlan some slack except for a couple things. One, it's just NOT how to do business and diffuse a problem. Second, it's obvious to me that being Quinlan's English is rather good, she has picked up a few American bad habits that she should drop immediately.
I didn't come here to bash MJ, I came here to see if there was another way to resolve this issue. I was wrong, so to those that called BS, keep cheering this kind of sleezy business model, I'm gone.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowride wrote:
it is worrisome that there are NO OTHER ways to resolve a problem

I'm sympathetic of MJ's requirement to keep costs low to provide a service for $1.70 per month. I don't expect premier tech support. I don't expect to be able to speak to a live person. (Heck, I'd even let them call me a vulgar name once a month in return for me saving $25 a month.).

But, I think MJ has a greater responsibility to conduct business in a way that reduces the potential for customers to need special care. I agree with you that MJ's processes seem to be designed with complete disregard for how they affect customers. It contributes to all the bad reports on the web.

IMO, that's what will come back to bite Dan. I don't see how he can keep his prices low, and have poor business processes, and no organization to handle the resulting complaints. It's unsustainable. He has to raise prices. Or, develop a permanent reputation (which will preclude reputable retailers from carrying his product). Or, mature his processes, with an eye on perception rather than being a carnival barker.

Mark
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my REALLY last post.
I don't now how they hit a $29.95 price point, but if they were to offer better (and more transparent) customer service, I would have no problem paying more. Even $100/year is more than acceptable, and would easily fund better business practices.
I still want to know, though. Where is:
Their privacy policy
Their stated warranty
and has been covered here previously..... the "abuse" policy. These are not niceties, they are the basis of a business model and as much to THEIR advantage to post as the consumer's.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowride wrote:
but if they were to offer better (and more transparent) customer service, I would have no problem paying more. Even $100/year is more than acceptable, and would easily fund better business practices.

I think most MJ users aren't having problems, and would prefer the $20/year price. (Or, $12/yr if five years are purchased in advance.).

There are plenty of $100/yr services out there. Liberate yourself and be happy.

To me, MJ just needs to define internal business processes with a goal to minimize customer complaints *about those processes.* Most complaints (the ones that make people vindictive) are a result of MJ's business processes. Disconnects between what the customer understands, and how MJ (often arbitrarily) handles things. Everything from five years meaning four. To "redemption codes" lost in spam filters, or simply ignored by the customer who didn't understand its importance.

That kind of stuff is low-hanging fruit. It's not like server breakdowns, or delayed capital expenditures. Just stop doing things in a way that's almost guaranteed to cause people to feel they need to escalate to a number that doesn't exist.

slowride wrote:
I still want to know, though. Where is:
- Their privacy policy
- Their stated warranty
- and has been covered here previously..... the "abuse" policy.

If you click on the "menu" of your softphone (which you probably can't, because you are having trouble getting it to work) you'll see the Terms of Service. It goes here:

http://www.magicjack.com/tos/

It contains everything you asked for. It may not be specific enough for your requirements. I might agree with you in some regards (for example the lack of definition for "excessive use").

But, it does exist. And it says there is no warranty. Which raises an interesting quandary because retailers like Best Buy are presenting it as having a 1-year warranty. Unless a warranty is mentioned elsewhere, it sounds like MJ is being generous by replacing 6-month old devices.

Mark
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I lied, I'm back. I can't check if what you said is available in the softphone menu, but I'll take your word for it. That however, is my point. This information SHOULD be available BEFORE the sale, not after. These are minor points to me, I brought them out because they are an annoyance at this point, not a "deal breaker".
The website should have information more readily available instead of focusing on the "inventor's" chest beating. I'm sure this is nothing new to any of you though. It just wreaks of amateur, and while the price is attractive, low cost and amateur merely reinforce each other. Upgrade the website and the perceived value is higher, and there will less scrutiny.
I don't know how many people have problems and have to access chat, but even the path to live chat is a convoluted mess. I hope others don't have the problem I've had and have to use live chat...... nobody deserves that.
One thing though. Everyone says chat is based in India, and the first tier support I believe is. I don't know about other's experience, but at elevated support, the grammar and "tone" changes. Is advanced support also in India?
BuffaloChuck
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: I am amazed... Reply with quote

I'm a 3-day user of MagicJack, testing it out for a 6,000 employee company. It works fine, seems great, la de da da...

Those are my initial impressions. But WOE be to those that have problems! Wow...

MJ COM looks like a Scam Company's website. Then going to YMAXCORP COM reinforces that and the only thing better than one scam website is another one that claims the other isn't! And then looping back to the original, over and over.

It's unfortunate that I've learned far more here, reading just a handful of threads, than I've wasted in my 3 chat-sessions with MJ "live chat" types. The "if I want to shoot myself in the head, I'll open a chat session myself" comment is EXACTLY correct.

I am VERY concerned that this product's inherent good features are undone by (1) some VERY banal, simple-minded programming, and (2) an idiot guide's to Chat-Support written BY idiots for perhaps even less intelligent people is being used.

The problems the software presents are incredibly inane. The Live-Chat is even worse. These make recommending this product SO difficult because, surely, out of 6,000 installs, there WILL be problems. I wish this forum was called Official Support site instead...
BuffaloChuck
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow's Dec 16th post are full of negative comments I'd echo as well - the klutzy, hacked-up website that appears to go nowhere... and his comments about "low price" and "amateur" - dead on. Scam sites use this, too.

I can't wait to try a RETURN process and see how this gets screwed up, too. I won't slit my throat over one unit's return. But 1,000? 2,000? Oh, someone else's throat will be on the guillotine by then...
BuffaloChuck
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ, your concerns about 'bad business practices' are mine as well. The FEW issues I've seen referred to, over and over, as I've spent two days reading various 'review sites' and complaint forums - they all seem fairly minor EXCEPT MJ apparently doesn't fix them. Then may screw up RETURN processing.

I'd love to see this product work, and I really think software and the install process is a BIG problem. I've only gone thru one Update cycle, but comments on here and elsewhere refer to those with eyes rolling and barely-disquised warnings.

I've been amazed at the broken links on their Product Reviews, even. They shouldn't have ONE, and there are more than one. Wow. That should be someone's first-job-of-the-day - to find and fix. Or remove. A lot of poor biz practices and sloppy programming.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowride wrote:
This information SHOULD be available BEFORE the sale, not after. These are minor points to me, I brought them out because they are an annoyance at this point, not a "deal breaker".

I agree. That's part of what I characterize as their business practices (and processes) adding to disappointed users. The "either love it, or hate it" camps. I think most people can live with poor support, service/network instability, etc. for the price they pay. It's the fast/loose treatment of customers that creates people who are really angry, and motivated to let others know.

It's that kind of drama that makes the people who love MJ reluctant to recommend it to others. Every time I start to recommend it to someone, I think how I just don't want to have that conversation ("It's a terrific value, but...").

Mark
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloChuck wrote:
reading various 'review sites' and complaint forums

Some will rightfully point out that incumbent VOIP and landline operators have a significant motive to spread FUD about MJ. It wouldn't surprise me if the Old Guard doesn't have a hand in some of the negative comments, complaints, etc.

But, MJ's business practices makes their job very easy.

There was one dingaling who filed a "ripoff report" because her service was terminated for excessive use. She was using MJ for telemarketing, making 200 calls per day.

I don't think too many people would be sympathetic for her. (She could have bought 10 MJs and spread her daily usage across them, and still been 70% cheaper than using a competing service, paying for minutes above what the plan provides.). But, when Dan doesn't publish what acceptable use is, he invites the most ludicrous complaints like this.

And then there are all the not-so-ludicrous claims where, when people do a search for complaints, and find a hundred, they're not going to stop and consider the legitimacy of a telemarketer's claims.

Mark
slowride
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

az2008 wrote:
Some will rightfully point out that incumbent VOIP and landline operators have a significant motive to spread FUD about MJ. It wouldn't surprise me if the Old Guard doesn't have a hand in some of the negative comments, complaints, etc.

I frequent a few message boards and I knew coming in here people would be skeptical. I know I am when I see someone with a low post count. That's why I sent you the documentation I have. Not to bore you to tears, but to show not all newbies are tools for "the Old Guard".
I took one last shot at straightening things out, and have gotten my MJ back up and functioning. Not because of help from chat... actually in spite of it. I'm thankful my primary system is XP, as it took a system restore, format (of one MJ drive), and upgrade to get it back. I received the replacement MJ last night and will be returning it.
I worked out the MJ functionality problems... I will now concentrate on the DYSfunctional part now. Oddly enough, I haven't heard back from chat......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: