magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help using MagicJack with HP TC t5700 1G 192/256

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chedg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Help using MagicJack with HP TC t5700 1G 192/256 Reply with quote

Hello,

I bought the above Thin client early this year and got frustrated that it didn't work with the MJ after days of trying, needless to say other things came up and I lost interest. I'm trying to get this working with MJ again, and there's just so much info out there, it's hard to keep track.

A couple questions, is it possible to run MJ on this setup without upgrades and is does anyone know where I can find a step by step post out there to get this specific TC working with the MagicJack?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

chedg
ret27m
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can squeak by with the 256mb of ram altho 512 is ideal, but the flash drive being 192mb wont cut it, you need atleast a 512mb flash drive but a 1gb would be ideal. I have a few 1gb transcend flash drives (brand new) I'd be willing to sell you one and save you a few dollars (as the price seems to have gone up on these drives) if you are interested. Let me know, if you have paypal I could get it to you within a few days.

Or you can get one here http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?itemid=TS1GDOM44H-S

As far as step by step I could call you on my magicjack and talk you thru your setup, someone on this site did the same for me my first time....
chedg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ret27m.
I'm interested in the transcend flash drive, how much is it?
Thanks for offering to walk me through it, I'll probably need it.
newtoncd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XPe takes up approx 310MB on my 512MB flash drive, so the 192MB for sure won't cut it.

Also, I noticed the system was much more responsive with 512MB RAM (vs 256MB).

Once you get the upgraded module, these instructions are very easy to follow:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/dummies-guide-configure-an-hp-t5700-for-mj-using-xpe-w-sp2-t3605.html?sid=a1488e765c6b43b4ea18ecff44683182
chedg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the dummies guide, that looks like exactly what I'll need.
I also ran across the below guide, but the dummies guide seems much more detailed.
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/thin-client-installation-t3759.html
Thanks,
chedg
ret27m

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chedg

I paid $17.10 for it and I believe they are up to $19.60, I'll charge just what I paid $17.10 plus handling/shipping and that should'nt be more that about $3.00, let me know.
chedg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll buy it. I have used Paypal before but it's been years. How can I contact you for the details?
chedg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy is it to upgrade the RAM to 512mb? Any places you would recommend buying this from and which ones exactly?
Thanks for all the help.
chedg
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chedg wrote:
How easy is it to upgrade the RAM to 512mb? Any places you would recommend buying this from and which ones exactly?
Thanks for all the help.
chedg

Its very simple to upgrade the ram. You just open the case up, pop the old ram out and plug in the new ram.

I bought my ram off ebay and got lucky it worked, but not everyone was so lucky. This has been suggested by others for price and reliability

http://www.pcmemorystore.com/HP_Compaq-Thin_Client_Series-T5710-ram.htm
chedg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot that I have a TigerDirect by me so now we'll know what kind of ram works with the TC.
Thanks.
chedg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, my kids sometimes use this TC to browse the internet, do you think the 512mb of ram and the 1gb Flash drive would be enough for occasional internet browsing and the MJ?
Thanks, chedg
ret27m

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chedg you have a PM
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chedg wrote:
Another question, my kids sometimes use this TC to browse the internet, do you think the 512mb of ram and the 1gb Flash drive would be enough for occasional internet browsing and the MJ?
Thanks, chedg

That will be fine as the system has plenty of horsepower. Just don't install any p2p apps or anything that will run in the background and be CPU or network intensive as your MJ quality will suffer.

To clarify on the RAM, you want 512MB pc2700 (333MHz) SODIMM. It's also DDR (not DDR2). It's the same stuff you use on older laptops. As long as you get those specs, it should work. Some brands might not work, but since you are buying it local you can always exchange it for another brand if you happen to get one that your TC doesn't like.
chedg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I'll make sure to pick up exactly what you described and hopefully we'll be up and running this weekend.

I picked up a GE dect 6.0 cordless phone with a couple standalone chargers/phones. The base unit and mobile ones should all work once this is up and running, correct?

Thanks.
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:

To clarify on the RAM, you want 512MB pc2700 (333MHz) SODIMM. It's also DDR (not DDR2). It's the same stuff you use on older laptops. As long as you get those specs, it should work. Some brands might not work

Hi Stroths,
Thanks for clarifying the specs on the RAM. I wasn't sure if 266 or 333 speed made a difference (apparently not). I ordered RAM from memory.com in Texas and their look-up system came up with this Transend item"512M DDR333 SO-DIMM CL2.5 234199-0852" stick. However, when I put it in the TC, the TC won't boot. It freezes at the white HP logo on bootup. No amount of pressing on F10 or any other key will get it unfrozen.

Could I have bad RAM?. I don't have any other RAM to test. The TC works with the stock 256 MB RAM, but there isn't much freeboard left in free RAM.

Can someone confirm if they have the same Transcend 512 RAM, whether it works in your T5700? If so maybe I have a case to send it back for replacement and hopefully not have to pay shipping again ($18 to Canada).

thanks.
stroths

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony wrote:
stroths wrote:

To clarify on the RAM, you want 512MB pc2700 (333MHz) SODIMM. It's also DDR (not DDR2). It's the same stuff you use on older laptops. As long as you get those specs, it should work. Some brands might not work

Hi Stroths,
Thanks for clarifying the specs on the RAM. I wasn't sure if 266 or 333 speed made a difference (apparently not). I ordered RAM from memory.com in Texas and their look-up system came up with this Transend item"512M DDR333 SO-DIMM CL2.5 234199-0852" stick. However, when I put it in the TC, the TC won't boot. It freezes at the white HP logo on bootup. No amount of pressing on F10 or any other key will get it unfrozen.

Could I have bad RAM?. I don't have any other RAM to test. The TC works with the stock 256 MB RAM, but there isn't much freeboard left in free RAM.

Can someone confirm if they have the same Transcend 512 RAM, whether it works in your T5700? If so maybe I have a case to send it back for replacement and hopefully not have to pay shipping again ($18 to Canada).

thanks.

The t5700 comes with pc2100 ram by default. However, most pc2700 is backwards compatible. These thin clients can be picky about RAM so you might have a bad stick or you just have one your TC doesn't like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: