magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wireless modem gurus ... question ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

can you piggy back one wireless modem to another and have all ports usable?

Or

I have two 5 port wireless modems and want both to work at the same time ...

hope i explained this correctly ... thanks
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
can you piggy back one wireless modem to another and have all ports usable?

Or

I have two 5 port wireless modems and want both to work at the same time ...

hope i explained this correctly ... thanks

Although I never have I see no reason why you can not piggy back your routers, of course you do lose 1 port in the process. I am sure others will chime in and kick my a$$ if I am wrong..

EDIT: I just called my friend Mr. Google and this is what he told me. http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/forum/thread/23813/piggyback-routers/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

Crap... I google and get nothing and you google and find something ... lol

this may be the answer I need:
No problems, just make sure to disable DHCP on the second router as a network can only have one DHCP

thank Joe and any other that wish to reply ...

bitstopjoe wrote:

Although I never have I see no reason why you can not piggy back your routers, of course you do lose 1 port in the process. I am sure others will chime in and kick my a$$ if I am wrong..

EDIT: I just called my friend Mr. Google and this is what he told me. http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/forum/thread/23813/piggyback-routers/
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:

No problems, just make sure to disable DHCP on the second router as a network can only have one DHCP

bitstopjoe wrote:

Magic fingers with Google??????????????? Smile
Yep I read that too about the DHCP...But it sounds like it will work out just fine for you. I had a feeling it would work, almost like piggy backing a one USB hub to another.. I did NOT know about the DHCP thing though. Live and learn huh?
I guess my ass is safe THIS TIME! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

I will report back when I can try it ...

bitstopjoe wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:

bitstopjoe wrote:

Magic fingers with Google??????????????? Smile
Yep I read that too about the DHCP...But it sounds like it will work out just fine for you. I had a feeling it would work, almost like piggy backing a one USB hub to another.. I did NOT know about the DHCP thing though. Live and learn huh?
I guess my ass is safe THIS TIME! Smile
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:

OK, turned off the DHCP and restarted the router while being plugged into my other router and so far SUCESS!!!

8 useable ports and two wireless router to pick from ...

so far so sweet ...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:

OK, turned off the DHCP and restarted the router while being plugged into my other router and so far SUCESS!!!

so far so sweet ...

EXCELLENT!!! I guess Google truly is our friend Smile

Good job, glad it all worked out for you!!
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

well crap joe ...

only the wireless kinds of owrks ... no wired sucess ...

so i spoke to soon ... lol

working on it but being clueless does not help ...

bitstopjoe wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:

so far so sweet ...

bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be something simple... A setting or even the way you are connecting them together ( port wise).
Dont give up, I am sure you will figure it out.....
davrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
even the way you are connecting them together
Yeah, don't you need a cross-over cable when linking two routers together (unless one has an "uplink" port)?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davrow wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
even the way you are connecting them together
Yeah, don't you need a cross-over cable when linking two routers together (unless one has an "uplink" port)?

Can you try it both ways??? Straight and x-over?
davrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, she says 8 useable ports. That means one 5 port router and one 4 port router. The 5 port "should" have an uplink port. The 4 port one almost certainly will not. Although, if they are new enough, I guess they could have auto-negotiation.

If they are both 5 port routers she is plugging them into each other! Embarassed

(edited to add: I hope "she", with Connie in the user name...)
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
well crap joe ...

only the wireless kinds of owrks ... no wired sucess ...

so i spoke to soon ... lol

working on it but being clueless does not help ...

bitstopjoe wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:

so far so sweet ...

Your wired devices on 2nd router will need static IP addresses that are in the same subnet but outside of the range being provided by router #1's DHCP.
For ex, look at mgmt console of router #1 and see what range of addresses it is using for DHCP, maybe 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.55

hardcode your wired devices on router 2 to all have a beginning of 192.168.1.something between 56 and 254 as a last value of.
reboot all devices and all pc's and let'er rip
report back.

I have a feeling your 2nd wireless may be conflicted by the wireless security. You may get away with no wireless security on 2nd router but limit access by the mac addresses you specify, should be doable
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davrow wrote:
Hmm, she says 8 useable ports. That means one 5 port router and one 4 port router. The 5 port "should" have an uplink port. The 4 port one almost certainly will not. Although, if they are new enough, I guess they could have auto-negotiation.

If they are both 5 port routers she is plugging them into each other! Embarassed

(edited to add: I hope "she", with Connie in the user name...)

hahahaahahaha is a he ... I miss spelled the name on purpose ... the real Connie was a tought SOB hockey player many years ago whem I was younger ... and I mean tough ... lol
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: wireless modem gurus ... question ... Reply with quote

crackerjack wrote:

Your wired devices on 2nd router will need static IP addresses that are in the same subnet but outside of the range being provided by router #1's DHCP.

For ex, look at mgmt console of router #1 and see what range of addresses it is using for DHCP, maybe 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.55

hardcode your wired devices on router 2 to all have a beginning of 192.168.1.something between 56 and 254 as a last value of.
reboot all devices and all pc's and let'er rip
report back.

I have a feeling your 2nd wireless may be conflicted by the wireless security. You may get away with no wireless security on 2nd router but limit access by the mac addresses you specify, should be doable

this sound good!!! I did change the 2nd to stactic but did not change the range so conflicts were most likey there ...

fyi, the 5 port is an older netgear and 4 port is a new vizio ...

THANKS and will get back on it tomorrow mornging !!!
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ...

router 1 netgear:
Use Router as DHCP Server
Starting IP Address ... 192.168.0.2
Ending IP Address ... 192.168.0.51

router 2 vizio:
IP Address Range: 192.168.1.100 to 149

since the vizio uses a different IP range I am hoping no conflect ...
also I turned off DCHP Server on the vizio and set it to static IP so it would start at 192.168.0.51 and according to netgear the vizio is now 192.168.0.51 ...

All I can do now is plug stuff into the vizio and let you know if it worked ...

last time no luck ... lol

if you see something wrong please let me know ... thanks all

PS: I am working w/vizio wireless now on my laptop ... so that part is working ...
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success on the first wired device after a manual enter of the IP address as it could not find it by itself ...

now tying the vizio (router 2) with the DHCP Server turned back on as it uses a different IP range ...

at least now so far so good ...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
Success on the first wired device after a manual enter of the IP address as it could not find it by itself ...

now tying the vizio (router 2) with the DHCP Server turned back on as it uses a different IP range ...

at least now so far so good ...

Good job!!! Never had any doubt you could not do it..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: