magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why would anyone order the new one??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachinmoney
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Why would anyone order the new one?? Reply with quote

I can't believe it. First off no special price for existing customers who would not only give up time available that they still have on the regular MagicJack but also you loose your number. In addition to that. They can't tell you in thier chat anything about it other then that it plugs into your router and you can turn your computer off. There are other devices out there that do that and more for less money then the $69.95. And why would I want to give my credit card number out over a non secure connection phone when they monitor everything and spam my email.

I was pretty happy with magicjack and after a lot of research decided it didn't make sense to loose my number and get a different device. Just to order the MJPlus.... until I hear everything they didn't say. I don't think that this is a very smart marketing plan on how to release this item that we were told would do so many things and then to almost double the price and not give us our current numbers as well.

I would strongly suggest that we not buy it until they offer us a discount. How are they going to get the message if you all run right out and purchase it??? Twisted Evil
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi if u have a Magicjack then u can add the plus to it with the same number yes you wold give up time on the old mj but then u get to keep your number so that not so bad
for me most of the other voip are costly the mjplus i am hopefully getting soon was 10.00 less then the nettalk . but my still get NT too

have a good one
beachinmoney
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Not able to port number and cost is more then just $10... Reply with quote

This is according to two different CSR's at two totally different chat sessions. Actually on one of them I asked for a more senior level person so according to three of them, no you can not port your number and the price is $69.95. I just am not willing to do that. If I have to get a new number then I am going to do it with a different company. I just purchased the Nettalk Duo. I got it on P.C. Richard & son's. It was $58.00 free shipping. At least their customer service is a live person. The forum is helpful and I can fax with it as well. They are already getting ready to ad a TV application and they have the software to add your cell phone. Everything is right there for you to download and alot easier then dealing with Magicjack. Plus at least with them they haven't lied about a product and what it could do. I have seen some reports that have said the new MJP is a cheap plastic piece of junk. I also have a big problem with their user agreement. It gives them the right to just disconnect you anytime they want and not refund your money. Not to mention the spam in my email and the monitoring of my calls.

I'm sure I'll find something I don't like about the nettalk duo as well but at least I'm going into it without feeling lied to and I know that if I need support it is there.
scotty200

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bet NT monitors call too. I am happy u got it at a good price but the only thing that make NT good is that u can call there tech chat! faxing i hear wold still have trouble .For me NT cost more then the MJP but i will get NT to at some point and who know my be the new MJP well work with faxing now
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Not able to port number and cost is more then just $10.. Reply with quote

beachinmoney wrote:
This is according to two different CSR's at two totally different chat sessions. Actually on one of them I asked for a more senior level person so according to three of them, no you can not port your number and the price is $69.95. I just am not willing to do that. If I have to get a new number then I am going to do it with a different company.

For those who are able to make the distinction, you cannot port a number into the Plus. But if you have a current MJ number, you can add the Plus to your account and keep your old MJ number, so NO new number is needed. I hate customer service chat postings. But I just did my third with them, and will post the relevant part:

Nailgunner: I was thinking of buying a new Plus and wanted to know what options I have for a phone number
Jed: Please wait while I check that for you
Nailgunner: can I use my current regular MJ number?
Nailgunner: can I port a cell number to it?
Jed: Thank you for waiting.
Nailgunner: sure
Jed: I apologize but we do not have any updates for that yet,Nailgunner.
Jed: However, you can have the same number with your other magicjack and the magicJack plus.
Nailgunner: so what is there not an update on...the porting?
Jed: Yes,Nailgunner.
Nailgunner: so if I add the Plus to my current account I can use the same number on both..right?
Jed: Please wait while I check that for you
Jed: Thank you for waiting.
Nailgunner: sure
Jed: Yes you will have the same number if you will add magicJack plus in your existing account,Nailgunner.
Nailgunner: okay...thanks..that's all I needed to know

After 3 chats and 4 techs, the answer is clear to me. Obviously, time will tell after someone tries it soon. But the only question I have left is if they have moved their Customer Support to the deep South? I don't think I've seen the name Jed since the Beverly Hillbillies.
V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would anyone order the new one?? Reply with quote

beachinmoney wrote:
I can't believe it. First off no special price for existing customers who would not only give up time available that they still have on the regular MagicJack but also you loose your number. In addition to that. They can't tell you in thier chat anything about it other then that it plugs into your router and you can turn your computer off. There are other devices out there that do that and more for less money then the $69.95. And why would I want to give my credit card number out over a non secure connection phone when they monitor everything and spam my email.

I was pretty happy with magicjack and after a lot of research decided it didn't make sense to loose my number and get a different device. Just to order the MJPlus.... until I hear everything they didn't say. I don't think that this is a very smart marketing plan on how to release this item that we were told would do so many things and then to almost double the price and not give us our current numbers as well.

I would strongly suggest that we not buy it until they offer us a discount. How are they going to get the message if you all run right out and purchase it??? Twisted Evil

I agree with your decision to wait on the purchase beachin, regardless of whether or not they let you keep your existing number. My mj / thin client / magicfeatures combo has been so stable, I can't see trading that for a new unknown. In fact, after reading that mj is raising their prices come September 6th, I'm debating whether or not to buy the 5 year plan just prior to that date. I get five more years for the price of one if I were to buy the Plus. No contest! The only redeeming feature the plus has over the original that I can see is the monthly power usage.

If I assume the power requirements drops by an order of magnitude, then my monthly usage cost would drop to 12.5 cents a month instead of the $1.25. Taking into account the bug risks associated with the new hardware in addition to loosing the Magicfeatures....er....Features Smile , well, to me, it's just not worth it.....not yet anyways.

Now, If Dan makes good on his prediction of providing WiFi internet, subscription TV service AND phone service for under $90 bucks a year, I'll have to re-weigh my decisions. But given his past performances on his promises, I bet he never EVER makes that happen. If he does, NetTalk will have accomplished it long before MJ and Dan will be so far behind the marketing curve, I doubt he'll ever catch up.

Just my opinion(s) mind you.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would anyone order the new one?? Reply with quote

V-Man wrote:

My mj / thin client / magicfeatures combo has been so stable, I can't see trading that for a new unknown.

I agree. I don't use a thin client, but am happy with MJ combined with MagicFeatures. I wouldn't buy the Plus until others have reported how it works and certainly not before it's available at retail stores.

V-Man wrote:
Now, If Dan makes good on his prediction of providing WiFi internet, subscription TV service AND phone service for under $90 bucks a year, I'll have to re-weigh my decisions.

I wouldn't bet a dime on seeing it available before 2014.
Pablo123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did he mention TV? I read somewhere they are talking about providing $90 internet,But I don't remember reading about TV, I know netTALK is coming with a TV product.

Thx,
Pablo
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo123 wrote:
Where did he mention TV? I read somewhere they are talking about providing $90 internet,But I don't remember reading about TV, I know netTALK is coming with a TV product.

Thx,
Pablo

I don't want to answer for him, but they make mention of a "triple play" for the Plus. Which supposedly going to consist of the phone, wifi and video-on-demand. Could be the VOD he was referring to.
V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why would anyone order the new one?? Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

I wouldn't bet a dime on seeing it available before 2014.

If you did, I'd bet a dollar you'd loose your dime! Smile

nailgunner wrote:
Pablo123 wrote:

Thx,
Pablo

I don't want to answer for him, but they make mention of a "triple play" for the Plus. Which supposedly going to consist of the phone, wifi and video-on-demand. Could be the VOD he was referring to.

You are correct Nailgunner. I shoulda called it VOD instead of "subscription TV service".

Read about it here Pablo, http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=228903
Pablo123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx you!
surfzombie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the original poster. This new plus in my opinion is nothing more than a basic clone of the NT Duo. MJ is playing catch up with NT. This MJ company has such a bad track record of false promised and lying that it really am having a hard time wanting to do business with them or even recommending them to anyone. I own two magic Jacks and a netTALK TK 6000 which was there first model which I bought back in 2009 and it recently quit working. I called them and they told me to send it in for repair and they would fix it or replace it at no cost to me other than the postage to send it in. I am willing to BET real money that MJ would never in a million years do that. When it comes to consumer products. We vote with our dollars. I vote for netTALK for my future business. Now that the pricing is the same for either the MJP or the NT. It's a No-Brain er to go with NT for me.
Melman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Just to let you know I am a magicJack user since 2008 and had very little problems using the device with my computer. Most of the users that have issues are more related to their computer setup then the magicJack. Now to let everyone here know, I have ordered and received the new magicJack Plus. It is simple to setup, register and hook it up to your router and it works even better then through the computer. Also MJ allows anyone to port their existing telephone number, which the Net Duo does not. I have never owned or used a Net Duo and I am sure it works great too, but I am sticking with MJ+. Any of you that want to upgrade from your MJ to the MJ+, it is worth it. Also the MJ+ plus seems more responsive through the router, no issues in call quality talking to my mother in Hawaii and my wife visiting friends and family in China.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melman wrote:
Also MJ allows anyone to port their existing telephone number, which the Net Duo does not.

Let us know your number port works out Confused Confused
scotty200

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ crackerjack

i also got the MJP and i ported my old MJ number it was a snap it working good so far and both my mj's work i can call out on both at the same time not that i need to do that lol but i tryed it just to see but that will end after the old one year is all most up now

have a good one
docooo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm

You ported your number - this means that both MJ and MJ+ hve the same
number ? and both ring when someone is calling that number ?

I have had MJ knw for 4 yrs and it's been ok .. I also hve the Nettalk
and it wrks ok .. they both hve there good points and bad .. to me
the main thing is CS .. Nettalk kills MJ on this

Doc
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

docooo wrote:
Humm

You ported your number - this means that both MJ and MJ+ hve the same
number ? and both ring when someone is calling that number ?

Technically I don't think he "ported" the number. They just add the Plus to your existing MJ account and both are active with the same number.

They insisted to me weeks ago that you can have now have multiple devices with the same number, and was told then that they would both ring. It appears, in this case anyway, CS was correct.
surfzombie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong. We have herd the promise of number porting for years and they are still spewing the same dribble but in fact have not delivered. To called porting your old MJ to the new MJP is not porting. Has anyone actually ported a landlines or a cell phone to the MJ or MJP? It's all smoke and mirrors.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfzombie wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong. We have herd the promise of number porting for years and they are still spewing the same dribble but in fact have not delivered. To called porting your old MJ to the new MJP is not porting. Has anyone actually ported a landlines or a cell phone to the MJ or MJP? It's all smoke and mirrors.

You're wrong. It has worked for a while now. It may not be perfected yet, but here are two that a search showed it worked for in here:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack71424.html#71424

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack70520.html#70520

The website says they are still in beta, so who knows if they are having issues with it, but it has worked. They do make it pretty clear in chat that porting to the Plus is not available yet.

Edit: Here is a 3rd, where 2 ended up doing it:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/can-i-keep-my-old-home-number-and-transfer-it-to-majicjack-t10787.html
surfzombie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
surfzombie wrote:

You're wrong. It has worked for a while now. It may not be perfected yet, but here are two that a search showed it worked for in here:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack71424.html#71424

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack70520.html#70520

The website says they are still in beta, so who knows if they are having issues with it, but it has worked. They do make it pretty clear in chat that porting to the Plus is not available yet.

Edit: Here is a 3rd, where 2 ended up doing it:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/can-i-keep-my-old-home-number-and-transfer-it-to-majicjack-t10787.html

I stand corrected.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfzombie wrote:
I stand corrected.

MJ doesn't make it easy to keep up on what they are doing. If I had an important number I wanted to keep I'm not sure I would put it into the MJ porting system to see what happens.
ctbear
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

Refer to my thread: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/some-confirmed-facts-t11130.html

The rep I chatted with said porting is 100% available now for the MJ Plus.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctbear wrote:
nailgunner wrote:

Refer to my thread: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/some-confirmed-facts-t11130.html

The rep I chatted with said porting is 100% available now for the MJ Plus.

Hells bells. I stand corrected. The sad thing is that I now remember reading your post. I just chatted with them and was also told the same thing. I must have had 3 or 4 chats with the knuckleheads in the last few weeks regarding keeping the current MJ number with the Plus and brought up porting each time as well, and was told it wasn't available yet. Hopefully it goes smooth for you if you've ordered one and plan on the porting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: