magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why Magic Jack Sucks
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramjet555
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Why Magic Jack Sucks Reply with quote

Magic Jack has a number of serious problems that show utter contempt for the user.
Firstly, its misrepresented. Its not a "magic Jack". The USB jack is a USB memory stick that loads
software into your computer without your permission. When you start up your computer you will have to
endure one minute or longer of viewing a very large advertisement for Magic jack "Tell your friends".
You have no option, you cannot turn this pop up off on start up.

The Magic Jack is basically a headset adapter that allows you to use a phone line instead of a headset. It is basically no difference to SKYPE at all. Skype is a lot easier to use with less popups and invasive software than MagicJack. MagicJack is nothing less than a SKYPE dial out dial in service but you have to put up with a lot of advertizing.

Next. You cannot operate MagicJack without the USB stick in an operating computer. It needs a computer to INFECT its software int order to operate its "softphone". Remember Net2Phone? same sort of software but, horribly invasive.

MagicJack tends to take over control of your headset from SKYPE, yes, Magic jack removes your volume control from Skype and puts it on Magic Jack. When you have problems with SKYPE, go check the settings on Magic Jack and put it back to handset.

POPUPS. There is some free software that will stop MagicJack popups during calls. That works well.

LIVE CHAT, live chat can take a very long time to find and actually reach.
Make a note of the link, and don't expect any high quality of service. Agents use micky mouse selections, from a menu instead of typing. You might as well be ordering a hamburger at McDonalds.

The owner claims to respond to emails but he did not answer mine.

The MagicJack USB cannot operate without installing itself in a computer.
I'm not familiar with the Vonage USB stick but suspect that vonage probably do the same thing.

I would much prefer to have a small box that plugs into an eiternet connection OR a usb slot.

The call quality can be terrible especially to Canada.
Expect a 300 ms to 400ms delay on all calls.
You get used to it on a long call but its very annoying.
Volume, often the other party sounds extremely loud, and distorted.
I' have had similar problems with other voip services in the past and
its again, very annoying.

MagicPhone will not work with a VOIP Phone, obviously, they are doing DIDS or whatever so
they can assign numbers, it would be nice to have the same service available via
a VOIP phone like a lynksys wip330.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can you make phone calls or not?
Delavan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like it, then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it. Jeez, we're talking $20 (or less) per YEAR for unlimited phone calls! MagicJack works just fine for many users, myself included, and we're very happy with it. Sure we've had problems at one time or another, but it works flawlessly for me. You can't please all of the people all of the time and some of the people none of the time.
caangel
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I read what you have to say and I have to say i love my MJ it works great am not having any of the problems you are
I dont mind the ad's for 20.00 a year I dont mind them I have used Skype and alot of the time got broken call's I dont get that with MJ I get a very clear sound am sorry your having so many problems but I like mine.
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No serious problems here....actually no problems at all. It's amazing all the BS some people dream up about MJ because they prob have a POS computer setup.

Those who come here in need of help, I'm willing to help anyway I can.....those who come here to just bitch and put down MJ.....well, they just need to throw the thing away or send it back if within the 30 days.

I've shut down my landline since MJ has worked just as good if not better and I'm saving a bundle on monthly phone bills.
sligg
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarmagic wrote:
No serious problems here....actually no problems at all. It's amazing all the BS some people dream up about MJ because they prob have a POS computer setup.

Those who come here in need of help, I'm willing to help anyway I can.....those who come here to just bitch and put down MJ.....well, they just need to throw the thing away or send it back if within the 30 days.

I've shut down my landline since MJ has worked just as good if not better and I'm saving a bundle on monthly phone bills.

For those of us where MJ doesn't work, why is our computer at fault. I have had no problems with three VOIP services but MJ has been a major problem. There are two versions of MJ and the version that works on my system is the old one that goes back a year. The three new version MJ's that I tried, the problem was the same: screech and voice distortion. No one at MJ has been able to solve the problem. I don't have a land line.
mark4090
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Works for me Reply with quote

I've had the MJ for 2 weeks now and think it's great. Most people I speak to do not know I'm not using a land line. I've had many lengthy long distance calls and have not had a problem with it yet. As for the annoying pop-up, search for magicblock pop-up blocker. It's a tiny program that keeps the softphone from appearing all the time. Works great.

mark
joevv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicjack has worked for more than a month with out a glitch.

Infact I've decided to become a reseller.

Joe
Magicjack Reseller,
joevv_ma at yahoo.com
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us where MJ doesn't work, why is our computer at fault. I have had no problems with three VOIP services but MJ has been a major problem. There are two versions of MJ and the version that works on my system is the old one that goes back a year. The three new version MJ's that I tried, the problem was the same: screech and voice distortion. No one at MJ has been able to solve the problem. I don't have a land line.

Have you tried taking those other MJ's to a friends house to see if they work on their system? If they don't, then you know they are defective, if they do, you'll know something in your set-up is messed up.

The folks at MJ know only the basic stuff to try to help with issues. They don't know all the hardware/software people have on their systems or how it's all wired.

As far as my setup.....I'm using an 8 yr old laptop (Windows XP Service Pack 2), a Uniden phone and connected wireless to my Uverse router thru AT&T as my ISP & Cable provider. I connected my MJ up, let it load it's software and didn't have to mess with anything else to get it to work perfectly.

I've heard some PC's and Laptops don't work well with MJ. It's possible this may be your issue as well. Other Voip's may have worked fine, but there could be a conflict while trying to use MJ if everything else was the same as before. But, you did say your older version MJ worked ok, just not the newer ones.

I'd still have them checked on someones else's system to narrow down what the prob is.
ramjet555
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarmagic I agree with you. I notice a distorted level of audio inbound while at the other end of the PSTN
they complain they can't hear me.

I'd like to know how to extract the SIP, password , all the info to use with my Linksys 330WIP WiFi phone.
I'm sure someone has done this, it sounds feasible? Is anyone using a phone like that with MJ?

Thanks

Ramjet555
bigboffo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramjet555 wrote:
lonestarmagic I agree with you. I notice a distorted level of audio inbound while at the other end of the PSTN

I'd like to know how to extract the SIP, password , all the info to use with my Linksys 330WIP WiFi phone.
I'm sure someone has done this, it sounds feasible? Is anyone using a phone like that with MJ?

Thanks

Ramjet555

Ramjet555 you join the forum 2 days ago, most of your posts are to complain or negative in some way and now you expect someone to just give you the info that you want.
F-off and read the forum for the information you seek, it is there. I lucked out and got some tips on what to look for PM'd to me by some nice members.
Try being nice and positive for a few posts and maybe someone will reach out and offer to help you.

PS Welcome to the forum...bigboffo Smile
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigboffo wrote:
ramjet555 wrote:

Thanks

Ramjet555

Ramjet555 you join the forum 2 days ago, most of your posts are to complain or negative in some way and now you expect someone to just give you the info that you want.
F-off and read the forum for the information you seek, it is there. I lucked out and got some tips on what to look for PM'd to me by some nice members.
Try being nice and positive for a few posts and maybe someone will reach out and offer to help you.

PS Welcome to the forum...bigboffo Smile

I just have one word to add... violation of TOS
Blackhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Magic Jack Internet Phone Service. Reply with quote

At $40 for the first year and $20 thereafter it is a good deal – but beware, it is not “the VOIP solution”. It is a great additional resource to those that will continue their traditional phone service and are looking to reduce the long distance charges. Expect to receive adequate voice quality – adequate, but not great. Expect that MJ will successfully call most phone numbers – but not all. Calls to several businesses could not be completed. Also, many cell phone numbers also cause MJ to fail. Online technical support is staffed with dedicated people. However, some of the glitches of the Magic Jack simply cannot be solved. For some customers, it is possible that they may never have a glitch depending upon their calling requirements. For most of us, Magic Jack is not yet the answer. Another note, I tested the endurance of the tech support staff. The glitches that I experienced simply were not solvable and I wanted to take the support to the logical end that it could not be fixed. After 8 to 9 hours on one day with no solution, I was prepared to continue the next day. I made one call. The techie, after reviewing my call history, told me that because of my Operating system (XP with SP3) MagicJack was not compatible. I have 3 computers in the house – one with XP SP2 – and it did not work on that one either. The interesting point here is: WHEN THEY NO LONGER WANT TO CHAT WITH YOU – THEY REMOVE THE ONLY LINK TO TECHNICAL SUPPORT FROM YOUR “MY.MAGICJACK.COM” PAGE – EFFECTIVELY SHUTTING YOU UP. Workaround is http://www.magicjack.com/4/magicfix.asp
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackhawk.... I would agree with almost everything you say. However, I would also like to add my own editorial. IMO, most of the folks complaining about their MJ have unrealistic expectations. In fact, I think some of them are down right silly. Twenty bucks a year for phone service is laughably cheap. I'm actually surprised the darn thing works at all!

And yet, I sit here at my computer with one MJ connected to a desktop taking incoming calls being forwarded from my cell phone while it's charging and another connected to a second desktop computer with a wireless connection so I can make outgoing calls. Both working flawlessly. So, if it doesn't block incoming calls or if I have to refill my coffee cup while the splash screen comes up when I plug it in, who cares?

Now to the point of customer service. Customer service with Verizon Wireless has been pretty good. It should be; I'm paying them over $250 a month! My landline, however, not so much. In fact, bad customer service predates Verizon, going back to when they were General Telephone.

So, for twenty bucks a year, I can forgive MJ & Dan Borislow for being weak in customer service. Which, BTW, during the two occasions I had to use them, they were great. But even with low overseas labor rates, tech support could go through whatever the unit profit is on a single MJ in short order, especially after eight or nine hours. I may not like it, but I can understand why they would do as little as possible after the initial session wasn't successful.

I don't intend to come across as disagreeable; I agree with you. As you said, MJ "is not the VoIP solution". I do, however, take issue with the naysayers who expect it to have all the bells and whistles, and more, than the premium voice services.
gashliquor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Why majicJack does'nt suck Reply with quote

For those of you that ssay MJ sucks is because 80% of the problem is you on your end. I know TV ad's etc show plugin play but MJ is far from crap. Im using Vista Preminum and MJ for 5 months with 3 AT&T wireless phones and one wired old time push button phone making 4 phones on one line. Yes some of my operating system values have been changed and yes im using extra hardware to improve MJ. But i will tell you this my audio and receive will blow away aregular land line or cell phone but at min 30% quality. Think im full of it then private message me your land line im as loud as a speaker phone and clear as a bell. My MJ unlike others because my phone has been modified has a out going amp which means i can increase or decrease the out going volume. You can't do that on a regular land line because the good old FCC controls out going sound levels. Of course im using more then the MJ alone to perfect it like this but for 20.00 a yr and the way my system sounds MJ is great!. One thing i'd like to see is that the caller ID display the callers name in the future otherwise everything works. Im also on a T2 connection from RR. Again im LOUD with quality clear audio in both send and receive. And i don't have a old MJ i have the ones that came out 3-5 months ago. Just my 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: