magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why Magic Jack Sucks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulcf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: MJ getting worse and worse Reply with quote

I had mid size expectations when I plunked down $69 for this unit. It said I can call anyone anywhere in North America for free. Ok, $69...it's a rip off since I'm in Canada but what the heck...
Well now not only is the voice quality pathetic, the volume is low (I have to boost to max and of course this boosts the static too). I NEVER get a dialtone, I have to disconnect the handset 2 times before it gets one.

Then it does NOT work for area codes 867 and 801. 801 is Orem, Utah and 867 is most of Northern Canada. So, what a rip off. I contact tech support "sorry, we're looking into that" and that's all.

So FALSE advertising, poor QOS and nonexistent support (chat!). All they care about it selling more devices. I certainitly won't be renewing it, I'll use some of the other MODERN VoIP offerings coming out. Ooma looks interesting with no need to have my PC on.

MJ SUCKS.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return it within their 30 day guarantee and get your money back.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ getting worse and worse Reply with quote

paulcf wrote:
I had mid size expectations when I plunked down $69 for this unit. It said I can call anyone anywhere in North America for free. Ok, $69...it's a rip off since I'm in Canada but what the heck...
Well now not only is the voice quality pathetic, the volume is low (I have to boost to max and of course this boosts the static too). I NEVER get a dialtone, I have to disconnect the handset 2 times before it gets one.

Then it does NOT work for area codes 867 and 801. 801 is Orem, Utah and 867 is most of Northern Canada. So, what a rip off. I contact tech support "sorry, we're looking into that" and that's all.

So FALSE advertising, poor QOS and nonexistent support (chat!). All they care about it selling more devices. I certainitly won't be renewing it, I'll use some of the other MODERN VoIP offerings coming out. Ooma looks interesting with no need to have my PC on.

MJ SUCKS.

The operational complaints you allude to speak to internet connectivity issues which will have a major impact on ANY VOIP service you may engage Look in this forum for links to VOIP quality tests that will give you an idea if your underlying internet service is stable enough to handle VOIP of any flavor.
Look before you leap and apply due diligence before you come here to b!tch.

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
rusureuwant2know
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarmagic wrote:
No serious problems here....actually no problems at all. It's amazing all the BS some people dream up about MJ because they prob have a POS computer setup.

Those who come here in need of help, I'm willing to help anyway I can.....those who come here to just bitch and put down MJ.....well, they just need to throw the thing away or send it back if within the 30 days.

I've shut down my landline since MJ has worked just as good if not better and I'm saving a bundle on monthly phone bills.

It's not BS when you are getting a message that says they have no agreement with the phone company in that area. They should be warning people some US areas are not covered.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusureuwant2know wrote:
They should be warning people some US areas are not covered.

They are. It's now in the TOS and their FAQ that:

"Some restrictions in cost prohibitive areas may apply."

It's pretty easy to find in the TOS under "Outgoing Calls". Not so easy to find in the FAQ, but type in "call won't complete" in the search, and the first FAQ has it in there.

Of course "some restrictions" is pretty vague, but could certainly lead one to do more inquiries if you were so inclined to read the TOS in the first place, which most of us aren't.
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes we all know the magicjack not perfect but for 20.00 a year it work good for most of us for me as well infarct better then skyp i have had way more trouble with skyp
so i love my magicjack Smile
netTALK duo rocks
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Yes mj does suck Reply with quote

Delavan wrote:
If you don't like it, then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it. Jeez, we're talking $20 (or less) per YEAR for unlimited phone calls! MagicJack works just fine for many users, myself included, and we're very happy with it. Sure we've had problems at one time or another, but it works flawlessly for me. You can't please all of the people all of the time and some of the people none of the time.

Why would anyone use something like magicJack that requires your computer be online running at all times? Whats it cost to keep your pc (with at least a 200 watt power supply, but could be a lot bigger) running, day and night. Believe me their are a lot of computer geeks that have good systems and know computers, but think like I do that magicjack sucks. You never hear how much the lite bill goes up on these sites, because a lot of people (just like you) love to grab their ankles and take a few for the mj team, so enjoy
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Yes mj does suck Reply with quote

netTALK duo rocks wrote:

Why would anyone use something like magicJack that requires your computer be online running at all times? Whats it cost to keep your pc (with at least a 200 watt power supply, but could be a lot bigger) running, day and night. Believe me their are a lot of computer geeks that have good systems and know computers, but think like I do that magicjack sucks. You never hear how much the lite bill goes up on these sites, because a lot of people (just like you) love to grab their ankles and take a few for the mj team, so enjoy

Well perhaps they are like me and their "lite" bill doesn't increase a penny because of MagicJack. For at least the last 5 years I have kept my computer running all day. In the almost 2 years since I've had MJ when I turn my computer off at night I just forward my calls to my cell. Thus no increase in my "light" bill.

I'm only a semi computer geek with a decent understanding of computers, and with a real cheap Acer system, who somehow has managed to get my MagicJack working just fine without any ankle grabbing involved. Sorry you and your fellow computer geeks with your good systems and computer knowledge couldn't apparently get MJ to work good and think it sucks.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, Nailgunner, that cute little blue LED has to be costing you SOMEthing. Wink

-One shot Magic Jack
-One shot TK6000
-One shot NetTalk Duo
-Two shots Ooma (it's bigger)

Shaken, not stirred.

Google Voice is the chaser.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
Come on, Nailgunner, that cute little blue LED has to be costing you SOMEthing. Wink

One would think so, but it's actually just the opposite. A few months ago I downloaded a program that measures the electric use of your computer. So I ran it one week with the MagicJack plugged in. And then ran it the next week with the MagicJack unplugged, of course I had to forward my calls for the whole week to my cell, but my used up plan minutes was well worth the experiment.

At the end of the two weeks I compared the 2 numbers and I actually used LESS electricity with the MJ plugged in than with it unplugged. Seeing as how I tried to do the exact same computer activities for the 2 weeks at exactly the same time of day, I came to the only conclusion possible. The MJ must be some kind of a "perpetual motion" device that actually pays you to use it. I give MJ permission to use my endorsement in any future advertising, for a small fee.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we know why it's "Magic" Jack. That would certainly be a good marketing point. You are wise to charge a licensing fee for your idea. Wink

-One shot Magic Jack
-One shot TK6000
-One shot NetTalk Duo
-Two shots Ooma (it's bigger)

Shaken, not stirred.

Google Voice is the chaser.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
Now we know why it's "Magic" Jack. That would certainly be a good marketing point. You are wise to charge a licensing fee for your idea. Wink

I was thinking of the fee being a new Plus or two, but I think I'm going to have to insist on cash at this point. Cool
rmeys
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am just wondering why is magic jack so great if you cannot call all numbers like vonage extension number 213 289 0649 if it could before? and why i can call that number from any phone except magic jack?? did you guys block it because you dont want people to save more money?? that is where it is all about right?? I love vonage and i love magic jack but sneaky magic jack blocks phone numbers...
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i love magic jack but sneaky magic jack blocks phone numbers...

I don't know all the particulars but I think you might find some information if you do a search on termination fees.

I've only had this happen maybe once or twice with Ooma/Skype/Google Voice when calling an 800# for a conference call.

Here's a thread on the Google Voice Support forum you may find enlightening:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=7fd24f8e03c376d2
C&DJay
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Let's be realistic and civil! Reply with quote

MJ works for SOME people....NOT ALL! That's just the plain truth!
I'm certain everyone (even dyed-in-the-wool MJ suporters) agrees that MJ's CS is garbage. (one CSR even tried to have me make changes to my PC THAT WOULD HAVE PERMENENTLY DISABLED MY INTERNET CONNECTION!) How's that for shutting me up?!?!?!
But for those who are convinced that MJ is NEVER at fault for connection issues: Stop saying that someone has issues because their PC is a POS or their ISP is not up to snuff! You cannot possibly know what kind of equipment they are running, and the truth is MJ will run on some old hardware that you would not even use for e-mail! You do not need the latest and greatest gaming rig to run MJ. In fact, it is best to find some old PC you left in the closet and dedicate it to MJ service, it will probably run fine.

That being said, the OTHER truth is that MJ DOES NOT have agreements with ALL telcos. That is why I will not and cannot use MJ! Two of the telcos I MUST call into DO NOT! This was verified by a call to the telco. (One even stated they will NEVER have an agreement wth MJ!) However, any complaint to MJ will never inform you of that fact!
So, rusureuwant2know and pulcf...you are both correct! MJ should specifically state what areas they do not cover, not some vapous statement that "some restrictions apply" MJ KNOWS what telcos do not accept them and should publish that info in the spirit of honesty, but we all know how far honesty gets you in today's business world!

Bottom line...if MJ works for you GREAT! But if it doesn't and you post a complaint here.....you should not have to tolerate being told your hardware, ISP, or intelligence is junk! Simply understand that it isn't your cup of tea and perhaps try Vonage, Ooma, NetTalk, etc.

And other posters.....BE CIVIL!! And try to HELP...not belittle!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: