magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why Magic Jack Sucks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMB145
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I purchased MagicJack about 2 years or maybe even three years back. Right after it first came out. Anyway, When I first received it, I was not happy with it at all. Really bad reception.

A friend and I were talking the other day and he told me that he turned off his home phone service and use MJ for his home service. He said that it worked perfectly for him.

I dug mine back out and went and picked up two cordless phones and plugged mine back in. It updated and I have been using it without any issues what-so-ever for the last week. I plan on going for another week and then getting rid of my landline and using MJ for good. Heck, I can buy a backup for what $30.00. I just dont see how you can loose on a deal like that.

A great product.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMB145 wrote:
Hi Everyone, I purchased MagicJack about 2 years or maybe even three years back. Right after it first came out. Anyway, When I first received it, I was not happy with it at all. Really bad reception.

A friend and I were talking the other day and he told me that he turned off his home phone service and use MJ for his home service. He said that it worked perfectly for him.

I dug mine back out and went and picked up two cordless phones and plugged mine back in. It updated and I have been using it without any issues what-so-ever for the last week. I plan on going for another week and then getting rid of my landline and using MJ for good. Heck, I can buy a backup for what $30.00. I just dont see how you can loose on a deal like that.

A great product.

Did you have to re-register and buy another year's worth of service before it came back to life???

Please provide full details about the resurrection process. My experience with 'vintage' MJ dongles which were out of service for years is quite different than what you have described.

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjack... don't know how old your vintage MJ is but I bought my first one in February of '08 and it works fine, although I never let the service expire. I haven't used the newer one (post-April 2008) for a while; I should plug it in, just to see if I can notice a difference.

What was your experience? Do you think it was the hardware or something else?

Last edited by Darkman90808 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
crackerjack... don't know how old your vintage MJ is but I bought my first one in February of '08 and it works fine, although I never let the service expire. I haven't used the newer one (post-April '0Cool for a while; I should plug it in, just to see if I can notice a difference.

What was your experience? Do you think it was the hardware or something else?

I was hoping for response from OP.......

Have 3 purchased in June-July 2007 which are among first units sold. Invoice shows customer # 00073.
These have been collecting dust almost 2 years and I wonder if

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
kwiggs66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Love my MJ Reply with quote

I dont know about all the complainers on this forum, but I absolutely love my MJ. I dont have any ongoing quality issues with it. Occasionally I dial the number and dont get a connection and do have to redial but other than that, it works almost flawlessly and for $20.00 a year I have no complaints. My wife did have a lot of complaints at first, but once I showed the the difference between our landline phone bill and the MJ "phone bill" she loves it too. If you think about it this way, my landline phone bill was costing me about $60-70 a month. For one of those months I could get FIVE years on my MJ. Now I dont have to feel raped by the phone company and still have a pretty darn good quality phone. Since most people have cell phones these days anyway, why pay the local phone company prices when you dont have to?? Another comment I wanted to make is this. This Forum is great! Lots of Great info, and while I am not the quickest browser out there ( I can spend hours looking for some help I need) it is actually cheaper than the MJ per year (FREE) and so it is even BETTER than the MJ! Thanks to all the wonderful peeps on this forum, thanks for your hard work writing docs to help dummies like me make my MJ work even better! Love to you all...and Happy Holidays!
n30fr05t
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear things up for those people that think it's the computer or ISP or the way the wind is blowing.. MagicJack DOES in fact suck. I am in India from the same location, same computer, same time I tired magicjack in headset mode and skpye out. Magicjack was awful. When I used Skype out to dail US numbers, people couldn't tell that I was on the other side of the planet. So, with all things being the same, magicjack is crap and skype works excellent. To go further, skype works better than the BSNL landline, ooma, and my vodaphone India cellphone.
bigbearcards
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: MJ DOES work good Reply with quote

I have been having problems since the latest "upgrade" HOWEVER, MJ DOES work, and it DOES work well. I have used it on several computers in different locations, and it almost always works VERY well. After over 20 months of continuous use, I personally think it is the best deal for the money I have ever seen.

In these days of "if it seems too good to be true it usually is" I think MJ is the exception.

Though I haven't been a user on this forum very long, and have only read a few dozen posts, I think I can offer one bit of advise from 20 months of good MJ service - if you have many windows up on your computer and not much memory, you WILL get somewhat poor service. If people are complaining that your voice is breaking up , close some windows and your call quality will improve. If you always seem to get complaints that your voice is breaking up, then add more ram to your computer. You need a minimum of 2 Gigs of ram, and 4 or more is better. Ram is cheap and it will improve your computer experience as well as your MJ experience.
Llamaman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Jack does in fact work and work well. I can't think of any other item I've bought that has saved me as much money as this little jewel has. So far, I've been free from my $70.00 - $78.00 per month phone bill for almost 10 months.

That's about $700.00 I've saved for an investment of about $100.00. (The original $40.00 + $5.00 for the extra warranty + a powered USB Hub + tax + one year renewal. The computer I use was already being run 24/7, so only a trifle in energy costs.)

Sure, there have been a couple of hiccups along the way and some inconvenience when it wasn't working perfectly. Those problems were solved using info from the users here on this forum. Every month nets me more savings and it's paid up for another 14 months.

While there are features that I'd like to add, I can't complain for such a low price.

It's not for everyone. I'd think that the happiest user is the tinkerer that can accept the "some assembly required" aspect of ownership. Personally, I like tweaking on stuff a little here and there. When it's fixed, there's a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction thrown in.

So go ahead. Tweak it a little. Search these forums, make some acquaintances and take the advice you glean. Overcome the little problems and save a bundle of money.
joannem
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: My Canadian MJ Reply with quote

I have heard the odd person mention an echo on the phone, and with some people, I sense a delay, but I can hear them perfectly. Sometimes the phone cuts in and out. There is no rhyme or reason to it. But, in general, after a living hell VOIP experience with Primus, I am pretty dang tickled pink with my magicjack. I call the US and Canada every day and nooo problemo. Very Happy
Jed54
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has his own shared, opinion... we don't need an ombudsman.
webpirate@hotmail.com
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: $0.08 Per Day Reply with quote

The way I see it Magic Jack costs me 8 cents a day. I can live with little glitches here and there. My only glitch with Magic Jack is sometimes incoming calls get a fast busy signal and callers have to try 2 or 3 times before they get through. But if its a major emergency we have 2 cell phones in the house.
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: My 8 cents worth Reply with quote

I have had MJ for only a few weeks now and have had no issues with it. With all the negative reviews on the net, I am kind of waiting for the problems to show up and rain on my parade. No problems have shown up and everyone I talk to can't tell that I am not on a regular phone. My kids can even be online using xbox and I can be downloading utorrents and I still have good quality audio. My $200 computer that I bought refurbished is over six years old too. I canceled my long distance plan that only gave me unlimited long distance in Canada so that saves me about $130/year. The next step will be canceling my home phone and going with a dry loop system for about $7.00/month. That will save me over 200/year. The computer is on 24/7 anyway because it is also my server for SageTV (PVR). So far, and I say so far because I still think it is too good to be true, I am a happy MJ customer.

I hope MJ is around for a long time.
Sumrall
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 8 cents worth Reply with quote

BrentOwen wrote:
The next step will be canceling my home phone ...

I hope MJ is around for a long time.

Glad you are liking the MJ. Have had mine going on 10 months with no problems. Dropped landline back in July. I have never looked back.

Been using Nettalk as well but only for one month. No problems with it either.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get a pleasant surprise when you try to cancel your home phone with Bell Canada. I called just to ask about cancelling and they went into panic mode and discounted my phone, internet and satellite TV so much it worked out to be cheaper to keep it.
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but I am not sure I would keep Bell no matter how much they reduce their bill. I am a little upset that I will have to pay them $7 per month for a dry loop so that I can keep my internet service with Acanac. Bell has been ripping my mother and father in-law off for so many years I have been waiting for the day to say good bye to them. I looked at their bill one day and couldn't believe what they were paying. I called Bell to ask what all the extra charges were. The services that were added to their bill six years ago were never even used once. They would not return the money, even though I proved that they didn't order the services. Remember when they use to add "free" services for a month and then you had to call them to cancel them if you didn't want them. My mother and father in-law do not speak English so they didn't know why the bills were higher. So to keep on topic here, I don't think Magicjack sucks, I think the phone companies suck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: