magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where to get a replacement magicJack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: where to get a replacement magicJack Reply with quote

I bought a magicJack from a reseller, and so far it's working fine. Just in case, though, if it broke or stopped working, should I contact magicJack.com for a replacement? If I bought another one from a reseller (to save a few bucks), would the 1 year of phone service it comes with be added to the end of my existing unused time?
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, when you deal with a reseller, you go to them for any problems encountered. MagicJack would not have any responsibility to replace it. When you buy a PC installed with Windows from an OEM, Microsoft has no responsibility to fix any Windows problems. You deal with the OEM.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reseller's policy is that the product may be returned within 30 days only if it is defective, so if it fails after that I'll have to buy a new one. Assuming it comes with the 1-year license, and I already have an active magicJack account and license, is it possible to just use the existing account and add the 1 year to my existing license term, so as not to lose the remaining time on it?
VanguardLH
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've chatted with MJ about warranty on their device. They don't have one! Read their TOS. It says they don't warranty anything. At their option, they will replace the product if and only if they cannot resolve the problem via their chat line. However, if you didn't buy it from them, they won't replace it. They tell you to handle warranty claims through whomever you bought the product. Basically YMax is selling unwarranteed hardware with an unwarranteed service. They may replace it, they may not, and they won't do anything if you didn't get the product directly from them.

I did manage to get YMax to do an exchange warranty on the first unit. That was only because I bought it from them. It took 7-1/2 hours in chats with them over a week before they finally agreed to do the replacement. They claim the refund (once they received back the defective unit) was on Oct 9 but I'm still waiting for the refund to show up (it's not in my latest bills received this month after a month it was received by them).
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it breaks, I'd still prefer to buy another MJ from a reseller, since it sounds like it's not worth the time haggling to get a "free" replacement, and the thing is packaged in such a way that it's almost impossible for it to be damaged by shipping, so any flaws probably originated in the factory. Plus, the resellers tell you up front what the shipping charge is, so it's easy to comparison-shop. But about half of the cost is for the 1-year license, so I'm still curious what happens to the unused time on the broken MJ's license - whether it can be added to the 1 year on the new license, or if it's just gone. Since magicJack.com is behind the licenses, they ought to make it possible to use the unused time.
slicksam
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am living this situation! I am into about 5 months or so of service. Honestly getting ready to pay for an additional two more years. My MagicJack "unit" (dongle) suddenly died! My "unit" does not work on other computers, however their MajicJack unit does work on mine!
(2+2=4 ; Mine is dead.)

After numerous conversations with their so called tech support.. NOTHING! Have emailed them even offering to PAY for a new unit to complete my subscription.. Again, nothing.

I know it is only 20.00 but the principal is whether it is 2.00, 20.00 or 200.00 You purchased a service for a given time and should be entitled to it.

As far as I know and the dealings I've had with them, If your MagicJack "breaks" You are just screwed.. You have the Option of purchasing a complete new JagicJack package or using yours help fill the trash can.

No idea what happens to the unused time or your number.

If you find out, please let me know.
Thanks.
pmascarenas
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: best buy now has magicjack Reply with quote

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=QDMJYCWGALLGHKC4D3DFAHI?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=magicjack&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: best buy now has magicjack Reply with quote

pmascarenas wrote:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=QDMJYCWGALLGHKC4D3DFAHI?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=magicjack&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

That's $1 more expensive than getting it from magicJack.com directly, when including the $7.99 shipping, and without getting any of the guarantees that come with a direct purchase (for whatever they're worth). It's easy to get one from a reseller for less than $40, including shipping. Mine was just under $38 from an Amazon.com reseller. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think one reason it's possible to get it that much cheaper from a reseller is that MJ factors in the ability to stiff people on unused license time if the device breaks.

Edit: And there's also the issue of the old phone number. If someone gave out their old phone number to a lot of people, and then can't get access to their old license if the MJ breaks, presumably they can't use their old phone number either. Of course MJ can harvest the old phone number when the license expires.
trailblazer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to buy another magicJack. I'll probably buy it from BestBuy because they are local and the "specs" tab for the magicJack product on BestBuy's website says "Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year". I plan on printing this page and keeping it with my receipt in case I have any problems for the first year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: