magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When can MagicJack support Number Porting?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: When can MagicJack support Number Porting? Reply with quote

Any MJ insider knows when MagicJack would support number porting from another service carrier? The FAQs said soon, but how soon is soon?
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear it is coming soon, just like the FAQs say
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "Soon" eh?
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
digitalnomad
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon now...soon is "soon". It's all relative to a lot of things. Like your perception of time.

Your socio-ethnic upbringing. Your age and life expectancy. Your income level and spending habits.

What part of the country or world you live in. How much you work and how much free time you have.

Whether you are employed, work for yourself, own a business, or are retired.

So, you see...stuff like that. It's just a matter of time and it should be soon.

Let's just hope that it is sooner than later.
drjekyl
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2250246,00.asp

Says it is already available for a $10 surcharge. Fisrt I have heard of it.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just port your number to "Phone number bank" and then theres a setting to forward that to any number...Thats wat i would do if i did need number out my landline/cellphone.
Kumar

EDIT, its a 60 day trial then $10 a month....Better off getting the 60 day now...then port it to magicjack when they can port numbers....but hopefully they will get number porting in the next 60 days.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Kumar's solution. But, I can never figure out why phone numbers are so important to people.

Just get a GrandCentral one-number.

Who wants to pay to port a number to an almost free service...not I.
Al
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I read something in this forum where someone was quoting Dan that it was due by end of 1Q08.

Wish I had made a note of that to give an exact quote... Smile
Rubberchicken
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well danny boy told me himself not his lying ass tech support within 45 days number porting will be here also they are getting a lot more prefixes and area codes so just hang in there people its gettin better slowly
Al
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubberchicken wrote:
well danny boy told me himself not his lying ass tech support within 45 days number porting will be here also they are getting a lot more prefixes and area codes so just hang in there people its gettin better slowly

That pretty much supports what I remember and said about 1Q08....

Have you considered that the support folks may not be sanctioned to give out dates or that they are not privvy to dates?
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to get better answers from blog comments and forums than from Tech Chat. A couple of times I have gone to TC just to see if they can verify something I have read via a search.

They usually have no clue, and the favorite answer by far is "we are working on it, and it should be soon".
Rubberchicken
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont even talk to them idiots on tech chat no more waste of time i just shoot dan borislow i go to head of the pimple LOL laying all jokes and comment asside dan has been helpfull replys to me quikly and gives me the help i need and i think him being who he is that says something about the man. he hasnt forgot were he came from he wasnt always a millionaire and him helping the small people like us means a lot to me like:

1. money is not everything!!

2.we are the people buying his product

3. he is willing to help his fellow man

i think that sums it up pretty good

everyone have a great day

Best Regard's
Jim
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubberchicken wrote:

I hope they will get 502 area code and a Louisville, KY prefix this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodstree
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Local Area Code and Number Porting linked? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the absence of a local area code will preclude number porting in that area? I'm in New Mexico and there are no serviced area codes in the state.
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not have area codes in NM? I am afraid that does not compute. You would need a 10 digit number for MJ.
rodstree
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Ambiguous post Reply with quote

Sorry my post left open the possibility to misunderstand. New Mexico has area codes (2) - MJ does not make either of them available for an MJ number. My question is will this fact prevent me from having my present landline number ported to MJ once MJ starts offering number porting service?
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. well...then the answer is still the same. You would have to have a 10 digit number that would include one of your (2) New Mexico area codes. How else could they terminate the call?
rodstree
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Duh?? Reply with quote

I guess one or the other of us doesn't understand English. Does anyone else understand my question?
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i understand what you are saying, No it will not affect you from porting your landline number just because it is in a diff area. I am pretty sure you can port just about any number....
Kumar
Al
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should go into chat with MJ and ask them the question... thus eliminating any interpretation issues in here...
Gerry_52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and let us all know what you found out. I would like to turn off my Vonage number and port it over to my MJ.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gerry_52

phonenumberbank.com

It would still be cheaper then vonage while you wait for number porting....60 day trial then $10 a month...
Peace
Kumar
Gerry_52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and then port the number over to MJ when they have porting available? Has anyone heard any potential dates for porting service from MJ? I think somewhere I heard maybe March, but I don't remember where I heard it. Must be that post 50's CRS I keep hearing about.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say May if they are saying March...you can't expect anything when they say so....but thats my opinion.
Kumar
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week ago I had a chat with the MJ tech support regarding when we will be able to port our numbers. I explained that I was incurring ongoing expense to have my numbers remain "live" and have been told since last August that I would be able to port my numbers "soon". After pressing them I was able to get a hold of a manager who was actually willing to call someone to check. I was told that they are in fact working on being able to port our numbers, but don't hold your breath. Here's a cut down piece of a very long chat. I was "on hold" for most of the hour long chat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chat start time Jan 29, 2008 6:10:00 PM EST
Chat end time Jan 29, 2008 7:18:18 PM EST
Duration (actual chatting time) 01:08:17
Operator Suzzane

Me: I chatted with someone a while back that told me that I could port my number at the end of 07 or beginning of 08. I've been waiting a long time. Can you please tell me the status?
Kelly: I am sorry ,May I know Which area code you want and what is your current Mj phone number?
Me: I'm not looking to get just a number in my area code. I'm wanting to port my 5xx number to my magicjack.
Kelly: Hi it is not possible to port the Mj# ,but it is possible to change number once you get
Me: I am not trying to port my magicjack number. I was told when I signed up last August that I would soon be able to port my home number TO my magicjack..
Kelly: I am sorry , (my name), our engineer are working on it , it will available soon in future.

Later . . . . . .

Suzzane: I understand your concern here
Suzzane: I was just getting an update from the engineers regarding number porting
Suzzane: (my name) we want to start number porting soon.
Suzzane: The reason it is being delayed is we need tie up with all the compaies for number porting.
Suzzane: We are in process with that, it just that we are facing some legal hassels
Suzzane: We are working on it
Suzzane: And i assure that number porting will be out pretty soon
Suzzane: Most likely in a months time
Me: Well thank you for taking the trouble to try to get me the information. If there are legal troubles I have to assume that no one really knows when or even if it will ever be practical for me to port my numbers. I will have to make other arrangements in the mean time so I don't loose my numbers. Thank you again for doing your best to assist me.
Suzzane: You are welcome
dmgriff33
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Available Porting Time table Reply with quote

Had the same conversation with Tech Chat last night that MagicHacker had. Was told by the tech that it would be available in a month. May be just a coincidence that we both got the same answer from different people but at least we did get the same answer.
dmgriff33
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Porting Reply with quote

Make that Magic Jake not Magic Hacker. Excuse please.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a clear explanation of porting rules from DSLR forum.
As much as I want to keep old phone number for convenience but porting could lead to all kinds of headaches so I'm beginning to have second thought Laughing Laughing
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be gun shy. It would probably be best to wait until you can be sure there are no glitches. Why not just use GrandCentral or a number forwarding service?

To me, number porting is not that big of a deal. I like the idea of one-number-access, and find a local access POTS number to be more limiting. Especially, if you move around a lot. Sort of the opposite approach to conventional thinking, I guess.
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic wrote:
Here's a clear explanation of porting rules from DSLR forum.
As much as I want to keep old phone number for convenience but porting could lead to all kinds of headaches so I'm beginning to have second thought Laughing Laughing

Although the law may not require certain companies to allow porting, it is still sometimes possible to do it. I took a number that I had with a local phone company for fifteen years and ported it to Packet8 four years ago. A year and a half ago I successfully ported the same number from Packet8 to Sunrocket. It took five months of wrestling with Sunrocket's incompetence but I eventually did get it ported. Unfortunately I was paying for two services during the five months it took to complete the porting. The actual porting only took around two weeks but Sunrocket kept canceling or loosing the order. Last August after Sunrocket went bellyup I ported the number from Sunrocket to another VoIP provider. I'm hoping soon to port my number to magicjack. I do agree that porting can be a lot of headaches but I was successful. I think that the law should be changed so that phone numbers are owned by the user,-- similar to domain names.
msiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry 52 I have better solution for you to port your number temporarily. Take a look at voipvoip.com and see if that would suffice for awhile. you could port your number to an ata, use it for incoming calls so you wouldn't miss any. There is no contract.. you can join and port when you are ready to. You can use their call out feature at 2c a minute, if you want, or not. just use it for incoming only..If you have your own ata it would cost$17 total to get started, $10 of that is prepaid minutes.. the $7 is the monthly charge for the service. If you need an ata they will supply one for $30 and you get to keep it. That is even better than the $10 a month for parking your number.. You still get to use it for incoming calls. Whaddayathank?? Works for me and it took just under 2 weeks to port the number..I'll just keep it there till MJ will port and Im grinnin!!!
frank10
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be some type of consumer right to a phone number.

I've had the same number for almost 6 years. It started with packet8, then sunrocket, a failed porting attempt back to packet8, and now vonage.
frank10
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msiam wrote:
Gerry 52 I have better solution for you to port your number temporarily. Take a look at voipvoip.com and see if that would suffice for awhile. you could port your number to an ata, use it for incoming calls so you wouldn't miss any. There is no contract.. you can join and port when you are ready to. You can use their call out feature at 2c a minute, if you want, or not. just use it for incoming only..If you have your own ata it would cost$17 total to get started, $10 of that is prepaid minutes.. the $7 is the monthly charge for the service. If you need an ata they will supply one for $30 and you get to keep it. That is even better than the $10 a month for parking your number.. You still get to use it for incoming calls. Whaddayathank?? Works for me and it took just under 2 weeks to port the number..I'll just keep it there till MJ will port and Im grinnin!!!

msiam, that's a good temporary solution. can I use an old sunrocket voip adapter I have laying around?
msiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can unlock that ata, as I did, you can use it.. I have the InnoMedia from SR and I also have the one my son had that I actually paid for, his is the spa2102 linksys. the better of the two is the spa2102, of course. But, the InnoMedia is fine to use. There are sites to go to that can tell you how to unlock the SR ata. You will be able to use that ata later when MJ lets us byod, as well. I do hope that you took that ata off the internet as soon as SR went down, if it was up with Teleblend for any length of time, I would suspect that it got locked by them.. If you changed voip companies immediately after the SR nosedive, then you should be ok with unlocking it. http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/how-to-unlock-all-sunrocket-devices-easy-instructions-t326.html is a good start.. there are a few ways.. If you get stuck Ill give you more.. These are probably the pointers you need tho..Also, there are more than one possible PWs to use when you run into a problem with that. PM me with the problems you run into and I will give you what info I have.. it ain't much, but it worked for me... Good luck.
MS
Gerry_52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dropped my Vonage service back to their $4.99 a month plan. I can keep my number and when someone calls it can go to my voicemail or I can answer it. All voicemails or incoming calls are free, but you are changed for outgoing calls. So, for the $4.99 a month I will hang onto the number, I don't have to change any services and if I need the Vonage phone it is there for me to use at something like $.02 a min. It may not be the most elegant solution, but for now it is the easiest.
rawthang
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: MJ Number porting hopefully July Reply with quote

I read a post by Dan the Inventor of MJ that they are currently expecting to allow Porting in July on a limited basis.
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: MJ Number porting hopefully July Reply with quote

rawthang wrote:
I read a post by Dan the Inventor of MJ that they are currently expecting to allow Porting in July on a limited basis.

What post and where? Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pdxpro
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ Number porting hopefully July Reply with quote

rawthang wrote:

Rolling Eyes Right....they've only been promising that, for what...6--7--8 months???
And what exactly does a "limited basis" mean?? Confused
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im tired of waiting for them. I know it is cheap but if I only spend only $1 a year on it is too much because it is useless to me. I have three home phone numbers and everything is on hold until they come out with porting. I have comcast digital voice, teleblend, and magicjack. No phone bank is not an option and I dont want to port my number twice.

You can purchase tomatto seeds but the money spent is a waste until that seed turns into a plant and bares fruit that you can eat.
dzex
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone bank is not an option because it is backed by RNK Communication. I just had terrible experience with the company.
They ABSOLUTELY don't care about small end customer. I just lost my number when Voxby (RNK inc agent) ceased their operation. Supposedly, my number and service was going to be transferred to HalfPrice Telecom that is RNK Inc dba.

I've spent countless number of hours on the phone (waiting on hold with Voxby - never answered, speaking to HalfPrice Telecom, to be told: "you have to contact Voxby with your questions". What the hell, I transferring my number and service to YOUR company from Voxby and you cannot/don't care to help???), sent several emails to their support and "Customer Excellence" department, 2 faxes and NOTHING. As a matter of fact, RNK was already the service provider, it was a matter of signing new billing agreement, that I sent 2 times by fax and got Ok confirmations both times.

My phone just was disconnected and nor Voxby nor HalfPrice Telecom nor anyone in RNK Inc even responded in any way!

So, I will stay away from any venture or agent of RNK Communication forever! If they can threw away customer who spent ~$400 on their phone service, I have nothing else to say...

Port your number to them? What a joke!

Last edited by dzex on Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
snafu2
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used their service, RNK "Phone Number Bank" for about two months. My only complaint was that incoming calls took about 6 or 7 seconds longer before the first ring , as compared to a call directly to the number being forwarded to. Many callers would just hang up, thinking the call didn't go through.
rawthang
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Link to MJ Porting Date Reply with quote

http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-inventor-plans-linux-support-improved-customer-service-and-more
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voicestick Next to Nothing plan is a great place to port your number to. Only $1 a month, can use ata with no issues and reasonable rates. I like magicjack but even if they do offer porting I'd rather keep Voicestick and have 2 lines. When I ported there was no fee, not sure now.
MagicBob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
Voicestick Next to Nothing plan is a great place to port your number to. Only $1 a month, can use ata with no issues and reasonable rates. I like magicjack but even if they do offer porting I'd rather keep Voicestick and have 2 lines. When I ported there was no fee, not sure now.

Looks interesting! As one that does not use the phone much, the 1.9 cent out, and 1.2 cent in rate looks favorable to me when compared to my $12/month no call ATT landline. And if I use the landline, it is 2 cent/min local, 25 cent/min long.

How good is the quality with this service? reliability? etc.

For me the real issue is the fact that I have been using ATT DSL since 1999. As a result going naked DSL will cost me $4/month more. So that $12/month landine is essentially a $8/month....not much and as I don't phone much proabably alot easier to maintain that anything internet related especially with DirecTV and alarm and faxing, etc. via landline. I will probably save the headaches and just keep the landline for now. Confused
Jibu
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Link to MJ Porting Date Reply with quote

rawthang wrote:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-inventor-plans-linux-support-improved-customer-service-and-more

In the comments section of that article, it says that porting should be available on July 4th? It's July 22 now and I haven't heard anything about it...
dlpmpls
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Link to MJ Porting Date Reply with quote

rawthang wrote:

Dan Borislow Inventor Says:

May 9th, 2008 at 5:25 pm
Larry:Porting will be available around July 4th on a limited basis. We are not to eager to jump into porting, as some things are beyond our control and in the control of the Bell company who is supposed to cooperate.They often do not and make us look bad

Unless your good at holding your breath I would advise not doing it for porting anytime soon.
hecktic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I guess we wont be seeing this anytime soon then...
InTheSky74
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I e-mailed Dan and he said they are all set to turn it on, and it will be announced in Q4 2008.
murdock
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any alternative to the Phone Number Bank? I would transfer my number, but they don't seem to support number in 812 area code.
Mightybyte
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Voicestick Reply with quote

Try Voicestick Next to Nothing Plan: www.voicestick.com. For $1 per month they will forward all your calls to your Magicjack number. You must first port your number to Voicestick. When Magicjack porting becomes available, you then port from Voicestick to Magicjack and cancel your Voicestick account.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: