magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
When can MagicJack support Number Porting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlpmpls
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Link to MJ Porting Date Reply with quote

rawthang wrote:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-inventor-plans-linux-support-improved-customer-service-and-more

Dan Borislow Inventor Says:

May 9th, 2008 at 5:25 pm
Larry:Porting will be available around July 4th on a limited basis. We are not to eager to jump into porting, as some things are beyond our control and in the control of the Bell company who is supposed to cooperate.They often do not and make us look bad

Unless your good at holding your breath I would advise not doing it for porting anytime soon.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

hecktic
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I guess we wont be seeing this anytime soon then...
InTheSky74
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I e-mailed Dan and he said they are all set to turn it on, and it will be announced in Q4 2008.
murdock
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any alternative to the Phone Number Bank? I would transfer my number, but they don't seem to support number in 812 area code.
Mightybyte
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Voicestick Reply with quote

Try Voicestick Next to Nothing Plan: www.voicestick.com. For $1 per month they will forward all your calls to your Magicjack number. You must first port your number to Voicestick. When Magicjack porting becomes available, you then port from Voicestick to Magicjack and cancel your Voicestick account.
murdock
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into VoiceStick just yesterday.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with Voicestick is this: they treat forwarded calls as outgoing calls.
This means on the Next to Nothing plan, all my transferred calls will still cost 2 cents per minute.

Can someone confirm/deny this? I hope I'm wrong ..If so I would switch to it immediately.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murdock wrote:
I looked into VoiceStick just yesterday.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with Voicestick is this: they treat forwarded calls as outgoing calls.
This means on the Next to Nothing plan, all my transferred calls will still cost 2 cents per minute.

Can someone confirm/deny this? I hope I'm wrong ..If so I would switch to it immediately.

I can assure you will get a response direct from the horses mouth. Mosey on over to http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20978502-voicestick-questions-about-new-switch and ask your question to BruceN.

He is chief cook and bottlewasher at Voicestick.

HTH

Crack

CrackerJack

MagicJack Customer #73
MagicJack user since May 2007
MagicJack abuser since June 2007
"I gots mo' numbers than a Lotto machine!!!"
Mightybyte
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Voicestick per-call charges Reply with quote

I emailed Voicestick before I opened an account with them. They assured me there were no per-call charges if I used the Next-to-Nothing plan for call forwarding. They also indicated that I did not have to purchase any new equipment.
murdock
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed up for VoiceStick and had my VoiceStick number forwarded to my current number...made two calls, and no charges at all!! This is absolutely fantastic. So here's my setup: $20 per year for MagicJack and $12 per year for VoiceStick (in order to keep my existing phone number) = $32 per year. Can't wait to get my number ported!

Thanks a bunch for the info guys!!!
Mightybyte
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Next to Nothing charges Reply with quote

I have just succeeded in porting my home number to Voicestick. I have some additional information about per-call charges. There are some charges for each call. Here is a history of my call forwarding via Voicestick:

1. Before I ported my home number to Voicestick, I tried some test calls from my cell phone to the Voicestick assigned number. The calls were forwarded with no charges.

2. After I ported my home number to Voicestick, I tried some test calls from my cell phone to my newly ported number. The calls were forwarded with no charges.

3. After I ported my home number to Voicestick, I have been charged for 2 calls to my ported number. What is worse,
they charged me twice, once for the call to the ported number and once for forwarding the call to my Magicjack number. However the good news is that the charges were minimal, around $.03 per minute total for both the call to Voicestick and forwarding the call to Magicjack.

I just talked to a customer service representative who confirmed that there is a double charge on each incoming call. He also indicated that they only charge you for the total of all calls made to you on the ported number. Thus if you have $.95 worth of calls in a month, your total charge is $.95, not $1.95. The $1.00 per month charge applies only if you have no charges over a one month period.

I do not know why they did not charge me for the cell phone calls. It may be that the calls were short, and they don't charge for short duration calls.

While this situation is worse than anticipated, I believe that Magicjack plans to offer number porting shortly. Until they do there may be some work arounds you can use:

1. If you have tons of calls to your ported number, Voicestick has an unlimited calling plan to the U.S. and Canada for $19.95 per month. While a bit expensive, it might be acceptable for a few months.

2. If there are a few people who call you a lot, give them your Magicjack number and ask them to call you on your Magicjack number.

3. If someone calls you on your ported number and you want to chat for a while, ask if you can call them back. Magicjack offers unlimited free calling to the U.S. and Canada.

I hope this clears up a confusing situation. As I mentioned, I believe Magicjack will allow number porting by the end of the year, at the latest. At that point the whole problem will disappear.
Jibu
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now that voicestick is pretty much out of the question, are there any alternative providers? Even ones that may cost a bit more than $1/month would suffice until a porting solution for MJ is conceived...
JohnnyFreightTRAIN
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubberchicken wrote:
well danny boy told me himself not his lying ass tech support within 45 days number porting will be here also they are getting a lot more prefixes and area codes so just hang in there people its gettin better slowly

Well, then danny boy is a lying sack of shit.
(pardon my french)
billinjax
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ported my home number to VoiceStick and later realized that there would be about a 3 cent charge per minute for forwarded calls. What I did was stop the forwarding and activate the voicemail feature. My message says that I'm not available right now and to leave a message. I also told callers that they could reach me quicker on my Grandcentral number. So now I might get charged 2 cents for a two minute message. You get an email notification of the message and can listen to it there.
jsherk
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a possible temporary option for porting your number in the meantime:
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/local-number-portability-option-for-canada-us-numbers-t8395.html
Aaron Dhiman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Still No Number Porting yet. Reply with quote

I was informed by magigjack a while back that Number Porting would be supported 1st week of August. Well, the first week of August has come to an end, but still no porting. Here's the outcome of my Chat session with their support:

---------------------------------------------------------

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Crissa'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4190123395459X

Crissa: Hello, how may I help you?
Aaron Dhiman: Hi, I'd like to sign up for MagicJack, but I need to port my current number to MajicJack. Is that supported yet?
Crissa: We are working to give you the option to transfer or "port" your existing local phone number to magicJack however Number porting will be available first week of August 2010.
Crissa: We do not have a date yet, but we will post it on our website as soon as it is available.
Aaron Dhiman: OK. The first week of August 2010 is up, which is why I am asking...
Crissa: Yes. Rest assured that we will be releasing information and requirements the soonest time possible. We are working to give you the option to transfer or "port" your existing local phone number to magicJack, for a nominal fee. We will be posting updates to our website so please visit www.magicJack.com from time to time.
Aaron Dhiman: Ok. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------

Still can't port to Google Voice either...What's the best option these days?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: