magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best Phone to use with MJ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duffmon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: What is the best Phone to use with MJ? Reply with quote

I work installing in the Telco Central Offices and because of that I wanted to go corded with the slimes phone possible.
But most do not have headset compatibility. I must have a headset, but if I go cordless the radio signal like cell phones too are not allowed in their buildings. Radio waves can interfere with the equipment.

If I do have to go cordless, what is the best for MJ; 900Mhz or 2.4, 8.5?
Any suggestions?

P.S. Why I want the slimes phone is for carrying (packing into my laptop case).
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use any phone with an RJ11 connector
Tim Me
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laserjobs wrote:
Use any phone with an RJ11 connector

How does that answer his question?
duffmon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, is 900 Mhz or 2.4Mhz or 8.5Mhz better?
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one mentioned the DECT 6.0. Here's an excerpt I pulled up:

What is DECT 6.0?
DECT 6.0 is a new protocol and frequency for cordless phones to operate on, and it provides several benefits over 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz systems:

No More Interference - unlike 2.4 Ghz cordless, DECT 6.0 phones are virtually immune to household interference, and vice versa. If you have a wireless computer network in your home, DECT 6.0 won't disrupt your internet use.
Security - Encryption is a layer of security that standard cordless phones just don't have. As information and identity theft is on the rise, DECT encryption helps keep your personal communications safe.
Call Quality - Extra security isn't just for safety, it gives you clearer calls without crossover traffic.
Easy Expansion - Extra handsets are easy to bring into a DECT system, and you can even make internal calls to other handsets in the house!
Battery Life - A DECT phone will last as much as 30% longer than a 5.8 GHz phone.

But if a phone with a radio signal is dissallowed in your building, the discussion seems moot.
lonestarmagic
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first set up my MJ, I connected my unit using a Uniden DECT 6.0.....no issues whatsoever and the sound quality is excellent. I purchased the model with two handsets. The base is connected to my MJ and I placed the other handset in another room of my house.

The base is very lightweight and compact, so If I was to travel somehwere, I'd pack the unit in my laptop case and bring it with me to use in a hotel, etc. with my MJ. You can purchase additional handsets and pgm them to work with the base. This would be something easier to do than to try to wire your house to have phones in all rooms.

So, anyone that is looking into buying a new phone to work with MJ, I give this phone type a 5 star rating.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DECT 6.0 is generally considered to the be most interference-free and secure cordless in today's market.

Now many here have commented about specific phone models in other threads ... DECT 6.0 should probably be the type of cordless at the top of your list.

Reference: wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT_6.0
duffmon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I will look into DECT 6.0. I may have to go cordless and find a place in the building or outside to comply with building codes. Some lunchrooms are used for contractors to work in and may let me use a cordless or I'll have to use voice mail and call back, but anyone that runs a business knows that isn't a good way to conduct business.
norml jack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am testing a new type of phone for a major electronics manufacturer that uses infrared. A quicK rundown of features:

1) Built in voip hardware and software, the phone can connect to pots landline or voip provider, or to another base. Also full pbx capable.
2) Intel network processor @533Mhz, 512MB Ram, 128MB Flash running Montevista Linux, the base can serve as a router, or plug behind existing router in bridge mode, and can connect to other bases via internet.
3) The handsets do everything an Iphone does and a LOT more. Up to 16 handsets are supported by one base.
4) The battery life is fanatstic, and the voice quility is as perfect as it can be.
5) It's infrared, so that means line of site. However, because of it's patented lens design and a few very inconspicuous passive repeaters, it works thoughout the house with no dead-spots. And I have a big-ass house!
6) This is by far the coolest phone I have ever used!!!

I can't say who makes it because of the signed agreement I made with the Manufacturer, but it should be in the stores by Christmas if all goes well.
duffmon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norml jack wrote:
I am testing a new type of phone for a major electronics manufacturer that uses infrared.

I can't say who makes it because of the signed agreement I made with the Manufacturer, but it should be in the stores by Christmas if all goes well.

Let me know when it comes out and what it's called, I would like to hear more about this phone. Do you have any idea how much it will cost?

Anyway thanks for the post.
norml jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duffmon wrote:
norml jack wrote:
I am testing a new type of phone for a major electronics manufacturer that uses infrared.

Let me know when it comes out and what it's called, I would like to hear more about this phone. Do you have any idea how much it will cost?

Anyway thanks for the post.

I'll I know is that it is made by SOme manufacturer I can't name, and that its price will be competitive.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a bluetooth headset?
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
msiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good little cheap dect 6.0 can be found here A few months ago this was in the forum and was sold at Walgreens for $15 with a $15 rebate, I got one for shitz and giggles, and it has turned out to be a very convenient little carry along phone, It is equipped with speaker ph, headphone jack and has great volume and clarity. The one I have is the model that was promoting the calling card use. I don't use this as a whole house phone, I use the Panasonic KX-TGA1015 6.0 with four handset system. but this ain't a bad little toy..Also, check here if you would like a two handset version .. the first is $8 and and second is $9..They are great for the hotel room.. I haven't given them the distance test, Just immediate area .. Its sort of comical that the phone is "American".. look on the bottom. Shocked . "Made In China".Are there any of the phones now that are actually made in USA?? Rolling Eyes The "blue tooth" that Kumar suggests..?? Aren't they all, or most all, 2.4ghz? That would be the same problem by interfering with a lot of other signals..I know I cant use my BT and run the Microwave..But it works fine in all other situations in the house, even with the use of the wireless router and who knows what other interferences there are around here with all my toys
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ughh walgreens had it for Free After rebate? Missed that one. When was it. I haven't gotten a cordless phone in a while for free... but i did get the older one from staples for a $9.99 if i remember right. I ended up returning it because I didn't get my rebate:-p.
Long time no see... Msiam

Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
msiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, haven't seen you either.. hope all's well, yeah, the sale was last summer, it was in all Walgreens and they were flyin off the shelves.. I had to get a rain check for one for the sale, but went to another store and found 3, bought one, didn't know if Id actually like it, then the sale was over.. they ain't bad little toys.., but, I got mine
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msiam wrote:
A very good little cheap dect 6.0 can be found here A few months ago this was in the forum and was sold at Walgreens for $15 with a $15 rebate, I got one for shitz and giggles, and it has turned out to be a very convenient little carry along phone, It is equipped with speaker ph, headphone jack and has great volume and clarity. The one I have is the model that was promoting the calling card use. I don't use this as a whole house phone, I use the Panasonic KX-TGA1015 6.0 with four handset system. but this ain't a bad little toy..Also, check here if you would like a two handset version .. the first is $8 and and second is $9..They are great for the hotel room.. I haven't given them the distance test, Just immediate area .. Its sort of comical that the phone is "American".. look on the bottom. Shocked . "Made In China".Are there any of the phones now that are actually made in USA?? Rolling Eyes The "blue tooth" that Kumar suggests..?? Aren't they all, or most all, 2.4ghz? That would be the same problem by interfering with a lot of other signals..I know I cant use my BT and run the Microwave..But it works fine in all other situations in the house, even with the use of the wireless router and who knows what other interferences there are around here with all my toys

I have that drug store calling card promo version of the American also and it works as good as my vTechs and Panasonics! Nice find on the price!
duffmon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
msiam wrote:

I have that drug store calling card promo version of the American also and it works as good as my vTechs and Panasonics! Nice find on the price!

Yea, nice find msiam! The only one I could find was on ebay and it had almost $10.00 shipping. I will see if I can find cheaper one. Thanks for the post.
Mudgemania
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey msiam,

Great signature... very funny!

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: