magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Automated Call Screening blocking all calls from landlines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Automated Call Screening blocking all calls from landlines Reply with quote

We have been using Automated Call Screening on our MagicJack GO for a long time.

Lately (unsure of when it started), when called from at least certain landlines (and maybe all), instead of getting the recording saying to press a number, callers get a recording advertising the MagicJack service and stating that the MagicJack number they called is not assigned to a MagicJack customer (not sure of exact wording).

This issue does not occur when calling our MJ phone number from any of the cell phone numbers we have tried, on multiple carrier networks.

All landline numbers we have tried are on CenturyLink (formerly Qwest).

Turning off Automated Call Screening immediately resolves the issue, and all affected landlines can call our MJ number without a problem. Turning it on immediately causes the problem again. I could be wrong, but this suggests that my issue is a service issue, not a hardware problem.

MJ technical support chat was as useful as an inflatable dartboard. After a 35-minute wait, when I explained the situation detail, the agent tried to restate the problem as "I understand that you can't receive calls?", and their helpfulness went downhill from there. It was clear they were trying to fit my problem into one of their basic scripts, and they failed miserably, but I attempted to play along.

The agent had me unplug/replug the MJ device (Troubleshooting 101 much?). They even did something on their end that ended up sending me an email "Thank you for your magicJack purchase!" order confirmation that showed a $0.00 "FREE magicJack Number Change" and a $0.00 "magicNumber - Free", but (thankfully) our MJ phone number did not change.

Then the tech support person had me upgrade the device firmware by plugging it into the computer (it is normally plugged via Ethernet into our router). This process disconnected me from the chat, after which the program told me the firmware was up to date already. So, that 20-minute process was a waste of time. And then the chat told me it would be 45 minutes before I could get further help. I gave up when I was stuck at "you are 14th in line" for 20 minutes.

Previously (unsure of when this stopped), the Automated Call Screening feature gave us the ability to add a list of "approved" phone numbers that would bypass the call screening and go straight to our phone, but that feature appears to have disappeared off their website at about the same time this issue began. At least, it disappeared from the How-To pages, and is no longer in an obvious place to access, so I can't use it if it is there.

Why would activating Automated Call Screening prevent all (tested) landline phone numbers from calling our MagicJack?

Before we activated the call screening, we were getting a few calls per hour from telemarketing robocallers (even though the number is listed on the DoNotCall list), so we would prefer to be able to use the call screening.

A family member with a disability relies on calling us at this number in urgent/emergency situations, so we can't enable the Automated Call Screening because it is blocking all of their calls with the recording trying to sell them MJ service and saying the phone number is unassigned.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'd be better off trying to sell shoes to a snake than attempting to chat with those people again.[/i]
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

lonestar
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning today I'm having a similar problem. My issue is with calls from Verizon Wireless. To my knowledge, all other landline and wireless carrier calls are coming through.

When an incoming call is from a Verizon phone I'm getting the same MagicJack commercial and then it is stated that "the number being called has not been assigned to a customer".

I have not tried turning off the Automated Call Screening like the OP did, but I'm not willing to do that.

Any ideas?????
toga2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Automated call screening problem! Reply with quote

Sparhawk
I am having the exact problem you had yesterday. I had the same response with tec help, only with a 15 min wait. She had me do all the firmware, reseting, just like your tec. Now the wait time for tec is over an hour@#%$# I called the sales # to see if they had any idea what was going on, but she acted like this was the only call she had. Strangely she offered some help describing the problem, SHE WAS LYING! I hate a company that has a good service but treats customers like this. To make things worse, the day before the problem i signed up for the 3 year discount price!I heard from reading reviews MJ does not GIVE back money for any reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, this problem is happening on all of the cell phones that I have tried!
toga2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day later, automated call screening system still blocking all incoming calls.service the same. Tried to chat, the system said it was overloaded. was overloaded!
H2OO
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Same problem all linelines get MJ Advertisement and told MJ# Reply with quote

All local landlines get the msg above Long Distance and cell calls get call screening. 1-1/2 hours to get to chat with support and if you turn off call screening all is good. Got 5 robo calls in minutes. They need to fix this.
Suddenlink..Arkansas and ATT landlines.
Please post if solution is found. Support escalation did nothing but reset my # problem still there.
H2OO
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: I think a lot of people probably don't know this issue exist Reply with quote

But they will when the doctor or local friend tells them they been trying to calls for days
sparhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I'm not the only one, and it sounds like I am correct about it being related to Automated Call Screening. Still no resolution yet, though, and I've had to leave ACS off as I mentioned before.

I just tried chatting into tech support:
Quote:
SYSTEM MESSAGE: Please wait while we connect you with the next available representative. You are currently number 32 in line with an estimated wait time of 55 minutes.

Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I guess I really shouldn't expect more for less than $20/year, but still, people, SL/DB.

edit
Only 10 minutes later Confused and:
Quote:
SYSTEM MESSAGE: Thank you for your patience. You are currently number 21 in line.

edit
Only another 5 minutes later Confused and:
Quote:
SYSTEM MESSAGE: Thank you for your patience. You are currently number 17 in line.

edit
Total of 35 minutes waiting and:
Quote:
SYSTEM MESSAGE: Thank you for your patience. You are currently number 9 in line.

edit
Almost exactly an hour later and:
Quote:
SYSTEM MESSAGE: You are next in line. Please confirm that you are ready for the next available representative by typing in YES and pressing the Enter key.
sparhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, per MJ chat agent (bold is my emphasis:
Quote:
Thank you for that clarification and I'm sorry also that you are having an issue with the Automated Call Screening, however to set your expectation this is an on going issue.

But we will be performing some trouble shooting steps that could possibly resolve the issue.

For now we are still fixing the issue however for us to resolve the issue we need to do some trouble shooting steps and also to get a call samples for us to determine what causes the issue.

Clearly, they are still following a Troubleshooting 101 script, because:

Quote:
I'm sorry for the experience, I need to check all the possible trouble shooting steps that could possibly resolve the issue.

Wish me luck!
sparhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Fixed! (for me, maybe not you unless Reply with quote

The agent has resolved the issue (after only 2 hours Confused , of which 1 hour was waiting). She says she:
Quote:
I refresh the magicJack signal of your device.

Not sure what that means, and it appears to still require you to chat into tech support.

She did say, as noted before, they are aware of the issue, and she supposedly is escalating using the timestamps and phone numbers of the 6 incoming test calls (3 from mom's landline that got the error, 3 from wife's cell phone that didn't), to try to resolve the whole issue on their end.

So, fixed for me, maybe not for thee. Rolling Eyes
But, maybe for thee later. Cool
H2OO
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: They refreshed me twice...call screening still doesn't work Reply with quote

Refresh and still didn't work..I believe.
I left call screening on with in minutes with it off I get robo calls.
Will check today if local calls are coming in?
H2OO
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Nope 2 refreshes and call screening doesn't work Reply with quote

I have to turn it off to recieve local calls even after 2 refreshes
H2OO
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Waited another hour in the queue for support... Reply with quote

The gentlemen did a few of the same things and said he would escalate but did not receive any updates via email yet..12 hours later?
sparhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it isn't fixed. Although the ACS is showing as ON on the website, no one that calls us is getting the recording requesting to press a specific number.

So, it appears their fix for the problem is to pretend that it is on.

Oddly, though, we haven't received any more spam calls since yesterday.
They may have enabled some other form of ACS without the recording, but I can't speak for exactly what happened or what their solution is. But, no robocalls have happened, and Mom (and other test calls) can call us, so I'm hoping that they fixed whatever was going on and didn't just disable ACS while pretending it's on.
sparhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. It is fully functional for all incoming phone numbers we have tested (cell, landline, VOIP).
dproff
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Same problem all linelines get MJ Advertisement and told Reply with quote

H2OO wrote:
All local landlines get the msg above Long Distance and cell calls get call screening. 1-1/2 hours to get to chat with support and if you turn off call screening all is good. Got 5 robo calls in minutes. They need to fix this.
Suddenlink..Arkansas and ATT landlines.
Please post if solution is found. Support escalation did nothing but reset my # problem still there.

This describes my experiences exactly in North Carolina. Does not happen on incoming cell calls or incoming long distance; only affects incoming local calls and only when Call Screening is on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: