magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is it possible to get info from Unknown MJ Dongle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olamoree
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to get info from Unknown MJ Dongle? Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I had a MJ dongle go south and bought another one... MJ wouldn't replace the dead one. And was telling a guy of my experience and he handed me a MJ dongle and said to enjoy it as he had given up on MJ. So now I have this unknown device and when I plug it in, it asks for User and PW, which of course, I don't have. My question: Is there a way to get the information like Log In, device #, etc. from the dongle so that I could keep it as a spare in case #2 goes bad?

As an aside: I skimmed the 19 pages about using MJ Dongle-less and it appears that MJ slipped in a watchdog to make sure the dongle was inserted before connecting... but there seem to be hopes for other ways to go dongle-less down the road. So now I am interested in being able to get info off of the dongle itself. Any info will be interesting.

PSS: Is there some significance to the fact that my #1 now dead dongle has an all white sticker on the back, #2 dongle is white with the red warning on an orange background and the #3 dongle sticker is all orange. Any significance? Odd that nothing has any exposed numbers but inside #1 on the PC board says "A921(Rev 2.0) 1.1" and on the chip says A9211 1320.... Thanks
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No suggestions except to download and try out the GVJackApp for magicJack for a few days and see if you are happier using Google Voice.

It will work with the MJ dongle your buddy gave you and won't remove the possibility of you continuing to try to revive some sort of calling from the magicJack network with it like you are describing you want to do if you finally figure out a creative way to do that.
stevereno
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Question for Redpepper Reply with quote

Recently Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014 and affect OBi device users. Will GVJackApp be affected by this change?
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GVJackApp for magicJack (and the GVMate Phone / Adapter product line) will not be adversely affected by Google's 2014 plan to retire XMPP signalling.

Reference: http://www.pcphonesoft.com/gvjackapp-unaffected-by-xmpp-retirement-may-2014.html

According to recent announcements, Google has positioned their new advanced WebRTC oriented Google Hangouts platform as the future of Google Voice. In moving forward, Google intend to fully retire the use of the legacy XMPP signalling platform that is still supported in the Google Voice network in May 2014.

We can definitively confirm that the GVJackApp for magicJack is a next generation application that is completely signalling independent. It was also originally designed specifically with future WebRTC web based communication applications in mind that are now becoming a reality like the Google Hangouts platform. As a result, the GVJackApp for magicJack will not be adversely affected by Google's plans to retire XMPP signalling or by their decision to transition Google Voice over to the Google Hangouts platform. The same is true for our GVMate Phone Adapter and GVMate Phone products.

The GVJackApp for magicjack will continue to extend the VoIP based Google Voice calling capabilities that are built into a user's Gmail account to his/her phone and its keypad as it does today. A slightly modified version of the GVJackApp for magicJack that works with the Google Hangouts facility enabled in Gmail has in fact been working in our development lab for several months.

Prior to May 2014 and as soon as it is clear from Google that the Google Hangouts platform integration with existing Google Voice features has been completed, we will be releasing a free upgrade of the GVJackApp for magicJack that makes use of the new Google Hangouts facility in Gmail. From our internal assessment, the transition should to be fairly seamless to end users.
stevereno
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Redpepper! That's great to know, and a real plus for GVJackApp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: