magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VCR Motor Uncertainties and Related Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bartholomew Diogenes
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: VCR Motor Uncertainties and Related Discussion Reply with quote

I have an RCA four-headed vcr, model VR546 (made in South Korea), the last one RCA made. After using some Fuji videocassettes which were defectively difficult to rewind, the vcr motor was weakened so it would not rewind readily in general. After I got some old videocassettes of miscellaneous brands, the motor was further weakened. Now just about all cassettes will not readily rewind. The only way I get around this is by putting a cassette into the play mode and rewinding it thereby so the video goes backwards until the beginning. In most cases a cassette will rewind to within 1:30 min of the start of the 6-hour cassette (without resort to the play mode), then slow to a crawl and eventually stop completely before rewinding fully by use of the play mode. Questions below.
1. First, I'm concerned that by regularly rewinding cassettes in the play mode for long stretches of tape I am misusing that feature and stressing the vcr and someday that feature will no longer work or the unit will give out altogether. Second. I'm concerned I am prematurely dirtying the vcr heads by having so much of that oxide-coated tape pass quickly over the heads and/or aging the tapes by having the oxide possibly come off for the same reason though there's no sign either has occurred. Please comment on my two concerns.
2. Why would a cassette rewind in the play mode when it won't rewind readily or at all in the off mode?
3. I've tried adjusting the cassettes by loosening the fives screws to relieve the "tightness" of the spools (if that indeed is what's wrong with them), but it made no or negligible difference in the Fuji or miscellaneous videocassettes, although sometimes this measure would work with the odd tight cassette in a healthy machine, certainly with audiocassettes. Sometimes I think the problem in the vcr-cassette interaction is not strictly mechanical because the speed or progress I can make backwards on a tape varies occasionally with whether I'm using the index search on rewind or just rewinding, which might go much faster, though a difference in the two should not prevail. What do you think is wrong with the cassettes and/or the vcr?
4. Could I or a serviceperson conceivably do anything to the motor to rehab or boost it? If you've had experience in vcr repair, please mention that.
5. If all that isn't enough, in buying Maxell videocassettes since Sep. 2011, I notice the plastic shell of them is that of a Fuji as opposed to how it was previously. This concerns me in terms of those cassettes sticking and I mean to ring Maxell. Any light on the status of Maxell which you could shed would be appreciated.
6. I am considering buying a Samsung dvd-recorder vcr combo if I can get a good price. Kmart used to sell the model in question. Have you had any experience with that unit or other Samsung products? I won't touch many foreign brands of electronics due to bad experiences.
computergaga69
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: