magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Google Voice With Droid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Using Google Voice With Droid Reply with quote

I recently switched from a Samsung Omnia to the Motorola Droid so I could more easily use Google Voice with my Verizon account. While it works wonderfully, I was dismayed to see I have gone over my minutes this month.

I have my GV number set up in my Friends & Family, so it should be a free call, both incoming and outgoing.

However, i also make a lot of calls via the Google Voice dashboard. This is where I think I'm having my problem. It appears connect to my GV number from an out-of-area number not in my plan. So, while I thought I was making calls that were essentially free, in fact, they are being counted against my monthly minutes.

Thought this might help someone. Certainly comments are welcome. [/i][/b]
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I didn't have a problem with going over our cell minutes Verizon called me recently to tell me about our texting plan. We had 250 texts per line I thought 8 texts a day would easily fit into our plan boy was I wrong. The verizon rep called me and told me my wife's line was at 440 or so texts and we were not even halfway through our billing cycle. The rep was great and switched both of our lines to unlimited texting. It will cost a little more a month but it's better to know what your gonna pay than to argue to death with my wife over a few dollars. Very Happy
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, texting can be a little crazy. My daughter had Verizon's "Unlimited" texting and went over! WTH??? Turns out unlimited doesn't include numbers outside the network. So, for another $10 or $15 a month, I forget which, she now has true unlimited texting.

My only question is, with all that texting, when does she have time for a life?
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should still be able to make all the outgoing calls you wish for free, its just a little more of a pain. Simply dial your Google voice number, and through the menu you can make an outgoing call.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo619.... you're right on both counts. However, I think I solved my issue by adding the Google Voice callback number to my Friends and Family. The little app I was running on my Omnia effectively did what you suggest, i.e. dial out to my GV number first and then put through the call, so I never had to be concerned.

Now I only have to pay attention in the event GV changes the number they use to complete the call so I don't start racking up minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: