magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using a DOK to run XP full up??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimisbell
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Using a DOK to run XP full up?? Reply with quote

Since the TC can be made to boot from the USB with a DOK plugged in, is there any reason that a full up version of XP could not be installed on a 16 gb DOK and then have the TC always boot from the DOK?

I am running one TC with full up XP on a 10gb laptop HD in place of the Flash memory so the TC doesnt care about the operating system, full up XP IS compatable with the hardware...... if it can be directed to use the D: drive on a USB port for boot.
Alpman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOK (Disk On Key - a USB flash drive) or DOM (Disk On Module)??? XP will not boot from a DOK, even if you change the boot order in BIOS to boot from USB, at least without extensive modification to the OS. You would also have to install the EWF filter to prevent disk writes to the flash. Google "install XP on USB flash". You'll find tutorials on how to do it, if you're up for the challenge...Good Luck!!!
jimisbell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the google you suggested and found many methods to do the job. I decided on PEBuilder3110a by Bert Lagerweij.

I spent 4 hours late last night and finally gave up in frustration.

This morning with a clear head, I started from scratch and in 20 minutes had a full up bootable memory stick that comes up in a Windows XP compatable environment.

So its not too hard, if you are thinking clearly, but at midnight with a wife bugging you to come to bed, its impossible.

I have not yet tested it with MagicJack, but will soon. It does however boot on my laptop and I have no reason to doubt that it will boot on the TC...just dont want to test it yet as the wife is still pissed about the lack of telephone all day yesterday. I dont want to take a chance on screwing it up again for another 24 hours!!!

Thanks for the suggested Google.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to testing the DOK I made. It works perfectly. I set the TC to first try booting from the USB and then try booting from the ATA. This doesnt have to be changed at any time because if my XP DOK or my "Re Flash" DOK is not there it just goes to the ATA flash disk and boots.

On the other hand if either of the DOKs is installed it boots from them. Slick as owl sh*t
kulumbaa
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, what tc did u have and what are the specs on your TC and could u share which DOk u used thnx
jimisbell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a T5710 with 512/512 @ 1.2ghz. I used a PNY 1gb memory stick. Next time I will use a larger stick as there is very little room left on a 1gb stick to save any programs. But this was done just to be able to run a MJ and so far I dont know if it will do that as I dont want to shut down my phone line to see if it works but it does boot on the TC so that hurdle is covered. Setting it up to run MJ would require setting up the LAN and installing a browser and I dont have time for that right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: