magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use magicJack without an internet connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mp3Gamer00
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Use magicJack without an internet connection Reply with quote

I've been keeping this a secret for a while but it's time to let it out. When I first bought magicJack I was using it through Time Warner Cable Road Runner Internet service. I stopped paying my cable bill and the shut my internet down, however my magicJack still worked. Strange I know. So long as you don't unplug your cable modem or router you will still be able to use the magicJack without internet.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. Apparently, your modem or router still has an IP address even though your account has been cancelled. Once you reboot your modem or router I am sure you will lose the IP and everything will quit working.
Mp3Gamer00
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely correct. But until you reset the modem you can use the magicJack without internet for as long as you like. I've been using mine for 4 months without paying a single cent to time warner cable. I wish i knew why it still works.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you can still surf the web as well. Even though your account was cancelled, you still have an Internet connection. Otherwise, MJ wouldn't work. Time Warner just forgot to turn off your access.
Mp3Gamer00
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet does not work. I can't explain it. I wish I could. But for some reason magicJack still works so long as I don't resert the cable modem. I don't know if it works with DSL or anything else though.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is physically impossible for the magicJack to work without an internet service. The most likely possibility is that Time Warner Cable has blocked TCP packets, but has not blocked UDP packets.
capheind
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds like they've just blocked your service, as opposed to outright disconnecting you. Eventually it'll stop working altogether as you watch a cable truck driving away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eesamo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what he is saying is correct and happened to me!
But with ATT dsl connection:
I entered the router setting and choose disconnect while my wife was making a call, but she continued in her call without interruption.
I checked the internet, there was no internet! and then I choose connect again and obtained new IP and my wife still making a call!
MaxxFordham
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Use magicJack without an internet connection Reply with quote

Mp3Gamer00 wrote:
So long as you don't unplug your cable modem or router you will still be able to use the magicJack without internet.

Umm, no... that wouldn't be without internet. That'd be WITH internet, but without the continuation of the subscription for it.
MaxxFordham
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mp3Gamer00 wrote:
The internet does not work.

The internet in your situation was still working. If it was that you just couldn't get web pages and e-mail to load up, then that's just PART of it, not "the internet in general."
MaxxFordham
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eesamo wrote:
Actually what he is saying is correct and happened to me!
I checked the internet, there was no internet!

Actually, there HAD to have still been internet access--at least some part of it, and only some parts of your service were stopped at that moment.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very similar to what I see when I'm in a hotel. When I plug in my computer, I have some services that are allowed *before* I open my browser and "log in" to the hotel network. Until I login, their proxy/router will intercept all of my http traffic and block some other ports (e.g. POP, IMAP). But they don't block everything. After I login, then they open up all the services.
krakus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you man, I used to work for those arrogant !
edboyy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modem is going to reset itself sooner or later, I wouldn't get too excited about it.
majorskold
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Free internet Reply with quote

Actually even if the modem is reset it will still work. When they shut your service off they are just blocking most ports. The mj is using a proxy that is allowing it to connect. You can use the same "trick" to browse the net with a proxy on a non standard port. I don't pay for internet service Wink and haven't for some time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: