magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tomato Version of MJMD5 (aka mjproxy)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Tomato Version of MJMD5 (aka mjproxy) Reply with quote

Now that I've got MJMD5 working on my Tomato flashed Linksys WRT54GL router, I thought I'd consolidate all of the information I found in this forum and from PMs to help other newb's.

Thanks to jeffnyc, qwer1304, and Taken83oveR's post on the following thread for guiding me- http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/ddwrt-version-of-mjmd5-t6913.html

Since I was totally new to this, it took me about 6 hours to figure everything out. The biggest hurdle being I am not familiar with linux commands that were available once telneted to my router. The following link lists all commands available for Busy Box which is what my router uses and is an excellent resource - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox

Summary of steps that need to be completed:
1. Enable jffs in Tomato via the Administration section
2. Enable ssh in Tomato via the Administration section
3. Install putty on PC (download the 'Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel' version)
4. Download the Tomato version of mjproxy from teddy_b's post
5. Upload mjproxy to Tomato (jffs) with putty using Windows command prompt with -scp option
6. Telnet into your router via putty (login as 'root' and enter Tomato password)
7. Execute the following command while connected to your router via putty - 'Chmod mjproxy to 755'
8. Put command line in Tomato Administration/Scripts/Init tab
9. Change the proxy IP in your ATA Line 1 tab to that of your Tomato router
10. Verify that mjproxy is working using the top command

Detailed instructions with screenshots below:

1. Enable jffs in Tomato via the Administration section
I also clicked the 'Format/Erase' button so that I have a clean slate to work with.
I wasn't worried about deleting anything since I just enabled it.

2. Enable ssh in Tomato via the Administration section

3. Install putty on PC (download the 'Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel' version)
Link to PuTTY download page-
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

4. Download the Tomato version of mjproxy from teddy_b's post
Extract mjproxy to Program Files/Putty folder.
NOTE: I needed to unzip the file twice.
teddy_b wrote:
I don't have a DD-WRT router either, but here are a couple binaries compiled using Tomato toolchain.
1. The first one is what I'm running on my Tomato router:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/twkmijnm3mz/mjproxy-tomato.tar.gz
It might work on DD-WRT - I have no way to check myself.
2. If the 1st one doesn't work, try the other one:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n2zzlmkiyyv/mjproxy-tomato-static.tar.gz
This one is statically linked with uclibc - the executable is larger but doesn't depend on the libc version - has better chances to run on dd-wrt (only on mipsel routers of course).

5. Upload mjproxy to Tomato (jffs) with putty using Windows command prompt with -scp option
Open a Windows command window (via Start/Run/Cmd) and navigate to the putty directory. Notice in the screenshot below I executed the command from the following directory- C:\Program Files\PuTTY
Then type in the following command-
"pscp -scp mjproxy root@192.168.1.1:/jffs" (assuming 192.168.1.1 is your router IP)

6. Telnet into your router via putty (login as 'root' and enter Tomato password)
Open putty and enter the IP address of your Tomato router in the 'Host Name' textbox and then click open

A telnet session window is created and log in as root and enter your Tomato password when prompted
(Note: when you enter your password the cursor doesn't move)

7. Execute the following command while connected to your router via putty - 'chmod mjproxy to 755'
In my screenshot below I first looked for mjproxy to verify that I successfully uploaded it.
After I executed the chmod command I noticed that mjproxy changed to a green color.

For those not familiar with linux- I used the following commands to look for mjproxy
pwd = present working directory
ls = list files in this directory
cd = change directory

8. Put the following command line in the Tomato Administration/Scripts/Init tab
sleep 30
/jffs/mjproxy 0.0.0.0 5070 proxy01.chicago.talk4free.com 5070 your_MJ_password

9. Change the proxy IP in your ATA Line 1 tab to that of your Tomato router
I also enabled NAT Keepalive because I was having issues with incoming calls.

10. Verify that mjproxy is working by using the 'top' command while connected to your router via putty. (Type ctrl-c to stop the top command)
This was really helpful for me in debugging because it turned out that mjproxy wasn't running on my router so I had to manually execute mjproxy.

Just enter 'top' at the telnet command prompt and ctrl-c to stop.

If mjproxy is running you should see a line similar to the one below in yellow-

That should be all to it. Log into your ATA and confirm that your registration status is 'Online'. One thing I did notice is that it took about 3-5 minutes before my ATA registration status changed to 'Online' after manualy executing the mjproxy command.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

tdave00
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good detailed writeup. Had another user PM me asking how I did it and my instructions to him were a bit vague. Glad you took the time to do it in detail. Been working fine for me for almost a week.
nakamoniel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: MANNYYYYYY THANKSSSSS Reply with quote

Oki, this is the perfact guide i have came across ever. For some reason with DD-wrt even after enabling JFFS2, I was unable to put mjproxy file in there. That made me switch to TOMATO and now i Absolutely love it. I am not familiar with linux either so i just simply followed wut you did and it all worked. Now only if I can figure ( AGAIN ) what my password for MJ is. In my router it shows as asterisk. do you know how to reveal it? i tried different softs for it but no go. otherwise i will go thru getting the password from dumped memory all over again. anyways Thank you and Two Thumbs UP for that perfact guide.
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakamoniel
Try Stroths utility. Works for everyone who read the directions.

OTC
noetic1
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakamoniel-
I second OTC's recommendation since I use Stroths utility to get my MJ SIP information.

Below is a link to Stroths post which has with a link to download his utility-
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/stroths-mj-utilities-suite-sip-grabber-upgrader-and-more-t4230.html
wang_12533
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tomato Version of MJMD5 (aka mjproxy) Reply with quote

Thanks noetic1. Are you able to take the ATA out of network?
Guide_timothy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: HELP Reply with quote

#5Upload mjproxy to Tomato (jffs) with putty using Windows command prompt with -scp option
Open a Windows command window (via Start/Run/Cmd) and navigate to the putty directory. Notice in the screenshot below I executed the command from the following directory- C:\Program Files\PuTTY
Then type in the following command-
"pscp -scp mjproxy root@192.168.1.1:/jffs" (assuming 192.168.1.1 is your router IP)

HELP im having trouble with step 5 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad what ever i enter into CMD thingy it says ts not recognised as an internal or external command or operable program or batch file.. i know it has something to do with pscp file on that puTTY thingy can someone help me plz Crying or Very sad
maybe you can do it with remote desktop connection on messenger or something anyways I got DDWRT version working perfectly but everyone says tomato firmware is best
ssudarshan75
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noetic1 wrote:
nakamoniel-
I second OTC's recommendation since I use Stroths utility to get my MJ SIP information.

Below is a link to Stroths post which has with a link to download his utility-
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/stroths-mj-utilities-suite-sip-grabber-upgrader-and-more-t4230.html

V1.6 is no longer able to retrieve SIP info.how do we get it?
ssudarshan75
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Last step help plzzz Reply with quote

So i got hold of my password from password retriever, I have Innomedia MTA6238Re. I entered the password there. Now after i connect this ATA, i still see as not registered, when i run top i cannot find mjproxy running?What is missing.

# mjproxy listen-ip|0.0.0.0 5070 proxy01.dallas.talk4free.com 5070 mypassword
-sh: 0.0.0.0: not found
fastrthnu
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'ved followed everything and it is perfectly laid out. However, I am a noob at this and cannot figure out how to get my Linsys pap2t to work with this.
The last step is to log into the ata and confirm that is is on line.
I think this is the crucial step I am missing and cannot figure out.
I assume with mjproxy i no longer need to have magic jack plugged into the cpu. but without it in I dont get a dial tone.
Can someone steer me in the right direction
Thanks
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastrthnu wrote:
I'ved followed everything and it is perfectly laid out. However, I am a noob at this and cannot figure out how to get my Linsys pap2t to work with this.
I assume with mjproxy i no longer need to have magic jack plugged into the cpu. but without it in I dont get a dial tone.
Thanks

ATA is a device like ur linksys router... Do you have that device it is of the same size as a wireless router
steve_togo
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Last step help plzzz Reply with quote

ssudarshan75 wrote:
So i got hold of my password from password retriever, I have Innomedia MTA6238Re. I entered the password there. Now after i connect this ATA, i still see as not registered, when i run top i cannot find mjproxy running?What is missing.

You should find it... Where are u running it from? From a telnet session or have u saved it as a command?
fastrthnu
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
fastrthnu wrote:
Thanks

ATA is a device like ur linksys router... Do you have that device it is of the same size as a wireless router

Steve-
Thanks for helping.
I have a linksys pap2t that i recently purchased. I have this hooked into one of the ports of my Tomato router.
ssudarshan75
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Last step help plzzz Reply with quote

steve_togo wrote:
ssudarshan75 wrote:

You should find it... Where are u running it from? From a telnet session or have u saved it as a command?

Running from a telnet session...
sarsipius
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Last step help plzzz Reply with quote

ssudarshan75 wrote:
steve_togo wrote:
ssudarshan75 wrote:

Running from a telnet session...

ssudarshan75, take out the listen-ip| part. run:
Code:
 mjproxy 0.0.0.0 5070 proxy01.dallas.talk4free.com 5070 mypassword
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: