magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the magicjack plus review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: the magicjack plus review Reply with quote

i just found a new magicjack plus review it looks different it black so thought that was interesting so just wanted to share with you guys here the link
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/voip/magicjack-plus-review.asp#more

have a good day
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: the magicjack plus review Reply with quote

scotty200 wrote:
i just found a new magicjack plus review it looks different it black so thought that was interesting so just wanted to share with you guys here the link
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/voip/magicjack-plus-review.asp#more

have a good day

Certainly looks much better than the previous models that had been shown. I believe that is the first, or at least a much better, look at the packaging as well. You would have thought the guy would have at least cleared the garbage off his desk in the background before snapping the pic though. Looks like a half eaten something lingering there. Geeze.

I know nothing about the technical workings of NetTalk, but he does give the Plus a couple of technical advantages over it.

And what is up with their "soon to be released" concept of users sharing a phone number? I would love to see the market research that showed them people will warm up to that idea in ANY way shape or form.

If you are having trouble getting to sleep, there is a video of the guy setting it up.

Don't you just love reviews of reviews? Sorry, but the video was too short to put me to sleep, almost had me though.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with one comment over there that debunks the technical "advantage" of the Plus over the Duo.

As the post says, it's called the "Duo," because it works via Ethernet or USB.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
I agree with one comment over there that debunks the technical "advantage" of the Plus over the Duo.

The odd thing is that in the paragraph before he mentions that advantage, he gives a link to an earlier review he did of the Duo, only about 3.5 months ago. Will be interesting to see if he responds to the comment.
scotty200

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: the mj plus will be here in 2 weeks hopefully! Reply with quote

hi all

i just went to chat with live support and he suggest to order it in 2 weeks from today from there website or phone number :1-800-649-1271

so let hope he right

i know i'm getting kinda excited now yet pessimistic at the same time hehe

have a good weekend everyone !

scott
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did add a correction to his review. He is putting most of the blame on information received from a conversation with Dan, which he includes in the correction.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust the leader of the competition without verification? That's really rich.

You can't miss the two set-up options in the documentation (USB or router). The guy is lazy at best, and on-the-take, at worst.

Basically, the reviewer is just another guy running his mouth on the internet, like the rest of us.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't miss the two set-up options in the documentation (USB or router). The guy is lazy at best, and on-the-take, at worst.

Basically, the reviewer is just another guy running his mouth on the internet, like the rest of us.

It does appear that way. Read like a pretty thin excuse to me.

I would love to run my mouth and be on-the-take, instead of doing it for free like I do now. Hell, I've been accused of being a shill for MJ so many times you would have thought they could have at least snuck me a Plus to play with. But nooooo. (There is still time btw Dan) Cool
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

It does appear that way. Read like a pretty thin excuse to me.

I would love to run my mouth and be on-the-take, instead of doing it for free like I do now. Hell, I've been accused of being a shill for MJ so many times you would have thought they could have at least snuck me a Plus to play with. But nooooo. (There is still time btw Dan) Cool

Laughing

The irony is the Plus would probably get legitimate good reviews (assuming they didn't screw the design up), without resorting to typical Dan shenanigans.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The irony is the Plus would probably get legitimate good reviews (assuming they didn't screw the design up), without resorting to typical Dan shenanigans.

Dan just loves those shenanigans. They are a part of his personal charm. Laughing
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shenanigans????? Thats Dan's cats name!!!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

Word is he just got his daughter a hybrid dog from a bull X dog hookup resulting in a puppy with a giant schlong.........
named it MagicJack +++++
Valiant
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

haha yippyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Valiant
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjack wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:

Word is he just got his daughter a hybrid dog from a bull X dog hookup resulting in a puppy with a giant schlong.........
named it MagicJack +++++

lmao
scotty200

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing lol
MrBeamer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: MagicJack PLUS Review � Now with No Computer Required Reply with quote

This review was Posted by Helena Stone in Reviews on July 8, 2011 at 12:29pm

http://www.chipchick.com/2011/07/magicjack-plus-review.html
Valiant
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which one is better to buy. MJPLUS or net talk. Thats the million dollar question.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valiant wrote:
So which one is better to buy. MJPLUS or net talk. Thats the million dollar question.

I think the OBi is much better than either since it offers more features, quality and is not locked to a specific voip provider.

Plus for now at least and perhaps forever Google Voice provides voip service for free.
ctbear
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
Valiant wrote:

I think the OBi is much better than either since it offers more features, quality and is not locked to a specific voip provider.

Plus for now at least and perhaps forever Google Voice provides voip service for free.

The only thing holding me back from OBi is the uncertainty of how much longer Google Voice will remain free. Also, you can NOT port a land line to Google Voice, which is a feature that I find essential.

Has anyone checked their local Walmart recently? I saw a TV ad this morning for the magic jack from walmart...could it be that they have slipped out the new models already? O_o!?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctbear wrote:
VaHam wrote:
Valiant wrote:

The only thing holding me back from OBi is the uncertainty of how much longer Google Voice will remain free. Also, you can NOT port a land line to Google Voice, which is a feature that I find essential.

Has anyone checked their local Walmart recently? I saw a TV ad this morning for the magic jack from walmart...could it be that they have slipped out the new models already? O_o!?

You do not need Google Voice to use the OBi there any many many voip providers out there including one of out members here. VoipMyWay and you can port your number to them as well as anyone of a number of others.

Google first said they would stop free service at the end of 2010 then they changed that to the end of 2011 now they don't give any end date so perhaps they have decided to keep it forever.

But the important point is that using the OBi your not at the mercy of any specific provider!
Pablo123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also VoipO, callcentric, VoIP.ms are all good providers for Obi.

netTALK requires a strong look at.
ctbear
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except none of those can best Magic Jack's price of $20/year?
Unless I am mistaken...please enlighten me.
Pablo123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nettalk comes close @ $29 USD.
Pablo123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also forgot to mention Nettalk has live us based tech support, and of course MJ you are chatting with somebody in India.

My opionion Nettalk is worth the extra $9.00 a year
RobQ
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
docooo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been useing Nettalk knw for 6 months and after using MJ
for 3 yrs ..

With MJ you can see who called on ur computer and what numbers
you have dialed ..BUT computer has to be on to use

Nettalk has been OK - hve to re-boot 2-4 times a month and NO busy ..
computer does not hve to be on

About same call Q as MJ

Talking to tech support is ok - but they have never fixed any of my
problems - so MJ and Nettalk teck support - Same

You get what you pay for bottom line ..

Doc
luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docooo wrote:
I have been useing Nettalk knw for 6 months and after using MJ
for 3 yrs ..

With MJ you can see who called on ur computer and what numbers
you have dialed ..BUT computer has to be on to use

Nettalk has been OK - hve to re-boot 2-4 times a month and NO busy ..
computer does not hve to be on

About same call Q as MJ

Talking to tech support is ok - but they have never fixed any of my
problems - so MJ and Nettalk teck support - Same

You get what you pay for bottom line ..

check your firmware version if you have 3.17 call tech support and get the latest 3.22 it fixes alot of router issues, rebooting issues and others as well

to check your firmware version dial *41 on your nettalk type the ip address that is read out to you into your internet address bar and you will get it
Doc
docooo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx - good info

Doc
scott-ohio
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: excited about mj+, but will it allow 7-digit local calls? Reply with quote

hi,

i am a brand new member and wonder if anyone else is frustrated by the need to dial area code in order to make outgoing local calls and also for neighbors to have to dial area code in order to call me.

i've had both the regular magic jack and nettalk, but even though i selected a 'local' number from the list of numbers offered to me within my area code, both companies require all ten digits to be dialed from local land-line phones. of course, if a neighbor or friend nearby wants to call me, but only have a 'local' phone service -- they are unable to do so.

since i'm still relatively new to the voip world, i'm wondering if this is even possible from any voip service or if i'm simply wasting my time trying to find this capabiity.

i've read through many different forums (like this one) but never have found comments about this concern.

first, with magic jack, i tried to resolve this by asking their online support if i could try a different 3-digit 'local' exchange number, but after spending a little over an hour chatting with mj support, all the person ever said is that i might have to wait a week or so for my number to 'magically' work with just 7-digits locally! WHAT?! either the number is on the 'local' exchange or it's not -- waiting it out won't change that!!!

so, before ordering nettalk over the phone, i asked the salesperson if their service allowed others in my dayton, ohio area, who only have a 'local' phone service, to call me by just dialing whatever new 7-digit phone number i choose for the dayton area and they assured me that as long as i chose one of the numbers from their dayton 937 area code list that neighbors would be able to simply dial my 7-digit phone number. so i ordered it and found out they were wrong. so, since nettalk allows you to pick a different number (free of charge) i tried all different 3-digit 'local' exchange numbers and tested them out. not a single one of them worked, so i just recently sent it back for a full refund, less $9.95 s/h charge. still waiting on that refund.

so, i am becoming doubtful that any voip service will be able to allow this or not. i recently re-established my at&t phone number (which i dropped a few months ago) since my old number was still available.

now that i have that old number back, i'm wondering if porting this number to mj+ or ooma or other voip service will allow a neighbor or local friend to be able to simply call me by dialing just 7-digits or is this just not possible for some reason with voip phone service.

any thoughts or insight into this is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: excited about mj+, but will it allow 7-digit local calls Reply with quote

scott-ohio wrote:
hi,

i am a brand new member and wonder if anyone else is frustrated by the need to dial area code in order to make outgoing local calls and also for neighbors to have to dial area code in order to call me.

i've had both the regular magic jack and nettalk, but even though i selected a 'local' number from the list of numbers offered to me within my area code, both companies require all ten digits to be dialed from local land-line phones. of course, if a neighbor or friend nearby wants to call me, but only have a 'local' phone service -- they are unable to do so.

since i'm still relatively new to the voip world, i'm wondering if this is even possible from any voip service or if i'm simply wasting my time trying to find this capabiity.

i've read through many different forums (like this one) but never have found comments about this concern.

first, with magic jack, i tried to resolve this by asking their online support if i could try a different 3-digit 'local' exchange number, but after spending a little over an hour chatting with mj support, all the person ever said is that i might have to wait a week or so for my number to 'magically' work with just 7-digits locally! WHAT?! either the number is on the 'local' exchange or it's not -- waiting it out won't change that!!!

so, before ordering nettalk over the phone, i asked the salesperson if their service allowed others in my dayton, ohio area, who only have a 'local' phone service, to call me by just dialing whatever new 7-digit phone number i choose for the dayton area and they assured me that as long as i chose one of the numbers from their dayton 937 area code list that neighbors would be able to simply dial my 7-digit phone number. so i ordered it and found out they were wrong. so, since nettalk allows you to pick a different number (free of charge) i tried all different 3-digit 'local' exchange numbers and tested them out. not a single one of them worked, so i just recently sent it back for a full refund, less $9.95 s/h charge. still waiting on that refund.

so, i am becoming doubtful that any voip service will be able to allow this or not. i recently re-established my at&t phone number (which i dropped a few months ago) since my old number was still available.

now that i have that old number back, i'm wondering if porting this number to mj+ or ooma or other voip service will allow a neighbor or local friend to be able to simply call me by dialing just 7-digits or is this just not possible for some reason with voip phone service.

any thoughts or insight into this is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance

Go with OBi 7 digit dialing is one check box!
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: excited about mj+, but will it allow 7-digit local calls Reply with quote

scott-ohio wrote:
hi,

Just because a number is in the same area code, doesn't mean it is "local."

The local calling area is defined by the Telco providing service to your nearby friends.

There are two possibilities here:

1) The phone numbers available from MJ or NetTalk are simply not within the "local" call area defined by your friend's telco. There's nothing to do about that but ask and hope for new prefixes to be made available from them (MJ/NT).

2) The available phone numbers SHOULD be local to your friends, but the prefixes are new and not yet being properly routed by your FRIEND's telco. (that was probably the assumption of the MJ tech you chatted with.)

Either way, it is not NetTalk's fault nor MJ's fault. The way a person has to dial his phone is ALWAYS dictated by his OWN phone company, not the destination phone company.
scott-ohio
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Go with OBi 7 digit dialing is one check box!

Hi VaHam, thanks for your reply. I have started reading about OBi today after reading your earlier remarks in this thread you made to others.

It seems like the newer (110) model allows the user to plug into router, but don't know much more yet -- still reading comments on amazon, etc.

I like the fact too that my existing at&t phone # can be ported using OBi, according to another earlier comment you made, but don't like the sound of paying a monthly fee to that VoipMyWay company to do so. Maybe I'm still not understanding something about porting my # yet though.

I'm not famiiar with Google Voice either, so I've obviously got a lot more research to do.

I'd rather not spend the big bucks to go with Ooma, even though I can apparently port my current # to them, for a 1-time $40 fee though! Plus, they just recently increased their 'fee' and 'taxes'

According to the mj+ review, it appears as though mj+ only charges a 1-time $20 fee to port my number to them, but i am reluctant to go back to magic-jack (+, once it's available) because of my concern with them last time when they wouldn't let me try a different mj # without charging me for changing numbers! i wanted to see if neighbors could call me with their 'local' service using a different 3-digit local exchange.
scott-ohio
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just because a number is in the same area code, doesn't mean it is "local."

The local calling area is defined by the Telco providing service to your nearby friends.

There are two possibilities here:

1) The phone numbers available from MJ or NetTalk are simply not within the "local" call area defined by your friend's telco. There's nothing to do about that but ask and hope for new prefixes to be made available from them (MJ/NT).

2) The available phone numbers SHOULD be local to your friends, but the prefixes are new and not yet being properly routed by your FRIEND's telco. (that was probably the assumption of the MJ tech you chatted with.)

Either way, it is not NetTalk's fault nor MJ's fault. The way a person has to dial his phone is ALWAYS dictated by his OWN phone company, not the destination phone company.

Hi Whiz,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I should have explained that I fully realize that my local telco (only 1 here in Dayton -- at&t) determines what is on the 'local exchange' and also where the 'regional long distance' begins within our 937 area code.

I should have also mentioned that both, MJ and NT, provide a list of different 3-digit pre-fixes (which are associated with local suburbs in the Dayton area) to choose a number from. While both lists don't include 'every' suburban city around Dayton, there are many listed which are not only nearby me, but WOULD be on the 'local' exchange if someone only wanted to pay for local residential service through at&t. However, when selecting one of those nearby suburbs, it turns out in fact that they are NOT on the local exchange because no one can just dial this 7-digit #. I should metion that the Dayton local phone service covers quite a broad range through at&t.

At least with MJ, the would be caller would hear a message that said 'you must first dial the area code when dialing this number' just as you would get if someone tried to call a location in a regional long distance location -- like Springfield, OH even though it is still a 937 area code.

With NT, the would be caller just gets a busy signal and does not even realize they must first dial the area code! They just think I'm ALWAYS on my phone, or at least the phone is off the hook.
ST Dog
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: excited about mj+, but will it allow 7-digit local calls Reply with quote

scott-ohio wrote:

...will allow a neighbor or local friend to be able to simply call me by dialing just 7-digits or is this just not possible for some reason with voip phone service.

A lot of companies have gone to 10 digit dialing.
It has been common with cell phone carriers for years.

I'm now in an area code overlay, so all calls require 10 digits.

It was also required by the telco at my previous location, an there wasn't and overlay there.

May as well get used to it because soon it'll be required everywhere except PBXs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: