magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks everyone! MJ-Thin client setup on 512 Flash, 256 RAM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Thanks everyone! MJ-Thin client setup on 512 Flash, 256 RAM Reply with quote

Thanks very much to JeepsterGuy, HolmanGT and everyone else who have posted tips and procedures.

Here are my observations and a couple of questions at the bottom.

The TC is now running:
- MJ
- Maxivista (extended monitor for my latop, also has remote control)
- Logmein (fool proof remote control)
- RealVNC (hey reduncancy is good)
- WinAmp lite to stream music

With 512 MB Flash DOM I have about 248 MB free. So as reported by others you can conceivably use a 256F/256R unit to run MJ

I did not install Direct X. Others reported not neededing it, so I skipped that step and MJ works fine. Now maybe Direct X is included in the XPe image? I downloaded the image using JeepsterGuy's link.

Snafus.
- I couldn't install the full WinAmp, ran into problem when it was installing a .dll. So went with WinAmp lite.

- I ordered 512 MB RAM but the TC wouldn't boot with it in. It was DDR333. I wonder if that was too fast? The 256MB RAM that came with the TC's was DDR266. But everything is working with 256 MB RAM.
With the DDR333 RAM installed, the TC would hang at white screen with HP logo and "press F10 for setup". When I put the 256 MB RAM back in the TC worked fine.

Performance.
- will update here after a few days
[Update Dec 2/08] The sound quality seems to be better with the TC, less static and pops. Still the occasional pop and squeal. Sound volume is high. People I call say the call quality is landline -like. I'm not sure why the call quality would be better than the dedicated laptop the TC replaced.

Questions
1. The specs for the T5700 state that max Flash DOM is 512MB yet people with (I think) the same unit are putting in 1 GB DOM?

2. Is there a way to remove Remote Desktop? I'm looking to free up some space. I didn't see a remove utility on the Altiris HP site.

Thanks everyone!
-Tony

Last edited by tony on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardware should take any size drive you throw at it. I have hooked a 120gb laptop drive using a 44 pin cable with no issues. However, the XPe image apparently doesn't like running on anything larger than 1gb. I would suggest you stick with the 1gb DOM to keep it simple and give you enough room to play around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: