magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spoofing for dummies 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: spoofing for dummies 101 Reply with quote

i am so lost in the sauce when it comes to this technical jargon about spoofing my caller ID.
I just got my MJ 2 days ago and I think it is the best thing since sliced bread was discovered.
But i would love it more if my friends, family, and clients could see my regular landli8ne # instead of this new mj #.
I saw where someone said install perl (by the way what the heck is perl)but i was clueless on what to do next. .Then i saw where someone said install spoofer v 1.1 but a blank scrren comes up . I am obviously not hack savy by any means . Can someone please explain to me as if i where a 6 year old how to install a spoofer tool for my magic jack . Thanks a million.
Ohh and i reserved a number with Google's Grand Central a week ago and still have not heard anything back as of yet, are there any other comparable options other than brring.com.
hawkim
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: I feel your pain! Reply with quote

I am in the same boat... please someone reply with an answer that is not as technical sounding jargon as all the posts that are already out there. Thanx
couch-potato
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not tech-savvy either, but I managed to get the caller ID spoofer working. Keep reading the forums, I am sure it was there somewhere. I don't know what perl is and I didn't use it.

I downloaded something and it worked. I think there are two or three different ways to do the spoofer, so look for the easy one. The tricky part was editing the hosts file, but I was able to follow the instructions to do it.

By the way, I don't use the spoofer much anymore because of recent changes by MJ it doesn't work as well. I have to dial *67 1234567 ***
in order to use it and I find dialling all the stars to be a pain to use the 7 digit dialing and get the caller ID to work.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the thread has gotten a little crazy (i.e., long) but the Caller ID Spoofer is really pretty straightforward.

1.) Download CallerIDSpoofer.exe
2.) Locate your Hosts file c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and open with Notepad
3.) Add a proxy server to your Host file; for example: 127.0.0.1 proxy1.nashville.talk4free.com
4.) Save
5.) Execute CallerIDSpoofer and restart MJ

BTW, my spoofer continues to work great. I don't think there are any changes in MJ to affect it but sometimes I need to change proxy servers. Also, I continue to use the original version, not the improved one since it seems to work more consistently for me. Hope this helps.
couch-potato

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post Darkman - I knew someone could explain it better than I could.

BTW - when I edited the host file, I included the list of all of the proxy servers, not just one, so I never have to change proxy servers.

When you say "it is working great" do you have to change the way that you dial? i.e. using all the stars?

I liked it when I could use 7 digit dialing for a local call, and I didn't have to use any stars. MJ is my only phone, and it is connected into the existing wiring in the house, so if someone was visiting and wanted to use my phone, it behaved just as any ordinary landline phone, and they wouldn't know the difference. Now, when someone wants to use the phone, I have to instruct them how to dial.

When I said there were changes in MJ, I meant that it wouldn't allow 7-digit dialing, and I had to use the stars. If I make a call without using the stars, the caller ID spoofer doesn't work.

I am also using the original version (I think).
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couch-potato... You're right about putting all the proxy servers in the Host file. I didn't mention it 'cause I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

But I don't have to do anything special to dial out, i.e. no * (stars, right?) UNLESS I'm dialing a toll free number that doesn't like the MJ. Then the *67 workaround lets me connect. Also, I didn't mention it, but I regularly test the spoofer against this number: 712-580-9999. I like to be sure since I typically put my cell phone as the *spoofed* number and don't really use the MJ for incoming calls.

Also, I believe the new CallerID Spoofer puts the proxy server in the Host file for you, which is pretty kewl.
stroths

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the part that gets most people is determining which proxy to setup. However, if you do all of them then you should be covered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: