magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some calls I get a weird message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulabee716
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Some calls I get a weird message Reply with quote

"To call a conference line or a platform, you must visit our website for pre-paid minutes." ITS NOT A CONFERENCE LINE! Its my mother-in-law. We can't figure out why it's happening. We're in the 30 day trial period, and so at first we thought maybe we just couldn't make calls outside our area code. But I tested calling other long distance numbers and they worked just fine. As much as I would like a legitimate reason for not calling her, it's rude not to.

What's going on? How can I fix it? I have found another # that I get the same message, but its not a # I would need to call with any regularity.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all probability, your mother-in-law's phone company & MJ have not reached mutual agreement on call termination fee(s), especially if her phone company is a small/rural company, or is not an older "Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier" - which would mean that in order for you to call her from your MJ number you'd need to put some money into your online MJ account to cover the cost of the calls. Another *possibility" is that call routing between her company and MJ is not being done properly... ask her to try calling you at your MJ number - if it doesn't go through properly, ask her to notify her company that when she tries to call you it doesn't go through and that your phone company is "YMAX."
paulabee716
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, she is very rural, so that is most likely the problem Thanks!
skyscooter
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used MJ for 4+ yrs. and have called 801-xxx-xxxx regularly. I'm getting the same nutty message: To call a conference line or a platform, you must visit mymagicjack to purchase pre-paid minutes. I am calling tech spt. for my web site. I phoned MJ land line support twice, 561-594-9787 and went into the cue for 30 min. 2 sec. I then tried online chat 3 times. They kept giving me the same unresponsive robot-like response. When I asked to be transferred to a higher level of spt. I want given this url www.magicjack.com/techchat and a rewards link. Clicked on the techspt url which brought me right back to the general chat logon screen. Clicked on the rewards link and got a black screen. I'm done with MJ. Send yours back as soon as you can. I am not renewing my subscription. The company is too big for its britches. The customer is no longer valued. They want your money, but hide behind online chat people who read scripted answers that don't apply. And when they've repeated the answer, unable to address the real problem, they disconnect. MJ gets a Failing grade and lost my business.
paulabee716
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MIL tried to call us and it would let her call us, so apparently we just can't call her. Wink
skyscooter
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Paula. The unit is no good to you if MJ lists the numbers you want to call as fee-based. I have a new house with wireless throughout. I upgraded to MJ Plus because you're supposed to be able to use your handset without being connected to your computer. That never worked. It knocked my WIFI offline. MJ told me I needed a new handset. Bought one and had the same problem. Tech Spt. attempted to reset the unit with a different software without success. This has cost me too much time. My resolution: I've gone to an unlimited minute plan on my cell phone. And I don't get any goofy noise about prepaying for minutes.
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: this prob is everywhere in the US Reply with quote

this prob is everywhere in the US. No one is doing anything to fix it.
MagicJack is spost to call everyone free, not for so much per call when
it is only a few miles away on a different exchange. This is fraud.
What can we do to make them not screw us?
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Prepaid calling cards Reply with quote

My local phone company supervisors worked on this for several days and
said they do not charge Magicjack anything for calls or termination to the
numbers I call. They are no different than Century Link/ Qwest. This is %100% MagicJack screw job at 6 cents per minute. The support people at
MJ know nothing, type bad English, and will not talk to you. NO voice
help. This calls for a large Class Action LS.

many numbers I try call don't go and get recording, Incumbent local exchange carrier, please get prepaid calling card. all are local numbers
on a different exchange. Magicjack support just gives the same BS and will not fix. I am sure many have the same probs. What can we do to get it fixed?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Prepaid calling cards Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
My local phone company supervisors worked on this for several days and
said they do not charge Magicjack anything for calls or termination to the
numbers I call.

This statement is false.

Every Telephone Company A pays every other Telephone Company B (and Long Distance Telephone Company C) a pittance per minute of conversation that goes from A to B. This is called revenue settlement, and is the norm worldwide, not just in the US. After all, companies A, B and C are doing work to handle your phone call, so they should be paid.

The real numbers are much smaller than this, but here is an example of how settlement works. You have a deal with XYZ long distance company to pay 5 cents per minute to call anywhere in the US. You make your calls either by prefixing the number with XYZ's 1010xxx number or by having XYZ company registered as your Long Distance company. Here's how your 5 cents gets split up:

-- Your local phone company A gets 1 cent for having originated the call.
-- Your destination's local phone company B gets 1 cent for having terminated the call.
-- XYZ Long Distance Company keeps 2 cents for having carried the call across the US from A to B.
-- XYZ Long Distance Company keeps 1 cent for having performed Administration and Billing services for the call.

Because the real numbers are so small, many companies construct so called "unlimited" plans for their customers. Their actuaries have calculated how much it will cost them to support the calling habits of the entire customer base and have used that to determine how much they need to charge in order to make money. In MJ's case they decided that $1.67 per month was enough to satisfy this requirement. Some users will cost MJ more than $1.67 per month, but most will not use that much in a month.

[email protected] wrote:
They are no different than Century Link/ Qwest.

This statement is likely true. My guess is that your phone company, whose name you don't mention so we can't investigate, does not settle for more than the prevailing rate going to the Baby Bells.

If this statement is true, and there is no reason to doubt you, then it is time to pose this question to every telephone company that is on MJ's black list. If it turns out that MJ is blacklisting all smaller companies regardless of whether they settle for higher rates than the Baby Bells, that is the business equivalent of racial discrimination.

And, yes, I would have to agree that 6 cents per minute is considerably more than the fraction of a penny extra that these calls may or may not be costing MJ in settlement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: