magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SECRET_ Receive calls from the USA to anywhere in the world

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovemagicjack12345
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: SECRET_ Receive calls from the USA to anywhere in the world Reply with quote

A little known fact with the MAGICJACK SmartPhone app is that if you are traveling anywhere in the world (and let's say you only have WIFI enabled to save on International Roaming) with your SmartPhone, not only can you call back to anywhere in the US and Canada at ZERO COST, in addition you can RECEIVE calls on your iPhone with the MAGICJACK software from anywhere in the world for free. So someone in the US would call a local MAGICJACK access number and enter the Magic number of who they are calling (*1234567890*) and poof, you receive the call and never use minutes.

Just be at a WIFI Hotspot

Shocked
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: SECRET_ Receive calls from the USA to anywhere in the wo Reply with quote

lovemagicjack12345 wrote:
A little known fact with the MAGICJACK SmartPhone app is that if you are traveling anywhere in the world (and let's say you only have WIFI enabled to save on International Roaming) with your SmartPhone, not only can you call back to anywhere in the US and Canada at ZERO COST, in addition you can RECEIVE calls on your iPhone with the MAGICJACK software from anywhere in the world for free. So someone in the US would call a local MAGICJACK access number and enter the Magic number of who they are calling (*1234567890*) and poof, you receive the call and never use minutes.

Just be at a WIFI Hotspot

Shocked

And how exactly is this a secret?? It has been discussed here many times before and by me in particular when a buddy of mine went to Switzerland a few years ago. Others have talked about it working that way here to China too.
So, sorry to burst your bubble there pal, not a secret...
The real secret is his dogs are NOT called Magic and Jack.. Yep they are called Jack and Magic.

Sorry Dan I had to let everyone know.... Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lovemagicjack12345
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SECRET Reply with quote

Well now good for you. I never said it was an intentional secret, not to be revealed. But I did do a search on this website for international calling and smartphone and iPhone and could not find any helpful documentation.

The big deal here is that you can RECEIVE calls on your iPHONE with the MagicJack App for free. It becomes free if you can receive these calls in WIFI with your cell service in airplane mode. A friend of mine calls me VOIP from overseas on my iPhone. But the call terminates to my iPhone as a regular incoming call and I am charged minutes. Fortunately I have an unlimited plan. It would be worse if I was overseas roaming internationally. The MagicJack App solves the problem. Now I can downgrade my minutes plan.
This is a first.

NetTalk hopes to do this sometime in 2012.

It would be great if you could supply the search keywords in this website as a reply to help other users.
Thanks
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what I was saying you can do that with a regular MJ and your laptop, no smart phone needed. As long as one has internet access making or getting a call no matter where you are is the same as dialing a local number...

So no need to make a big deal out of something as if you are the first to have discovered this. That is all I was trying to say.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lovemagicjack12345
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with you dude. Yeah I knew about the MJP and computer thing. The exciting thing is that you can leave your MJP and laptop home and go to Hong Kong or wherever only with you iPhone (or Droid) and keep in in Airplane mode while you are there and make and receive calls to/fr the USA either in your hotel or at any WIFI hotspot. 100% free. That is cool. I think that is a big deal. And you don't even have to buy a MJP. The App for your smartphone is free.

If you check around, at least at the time of this post, you will be hard pressed to find many other apps which provide the functionality to receive calls on a wireless while ONLY in WIFI mode.

Of course you would need full internet access. WIFI in a truncated internet access may or may not work.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SECRET_ Receive calls from the USA to anywhere in the wo Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

It has been discussed here many times before

Linkage please?
allegan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

how do I get this application or how do I get my MJ+ to work on my BlackBerry bold
radzkillah
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SECRET_ Receive calls from the USA to anywhere in the wo Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

The real secret is his dogs are NOT called Magic and Jack.. Yep they are called Jack and Magic.

Sorry Dan I had to let everyone know.... Smile

Cool God!! I knew it!!
black_icon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allegan wrote:
Hi Guys

how do I get this application or how do I get my MJ+ to work on my BlackBerry bold

MJ app only works on iPhone, iPad or iPod. If you're talking about MJ Plus, it's a different thing from MJ app. MJ APP is just a software without the usb dongle but MJ PLUS has the usb dongle that can be used even without computer but modem/router.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently there is only an Apple iOS version of MJ app; and Android version is about to be released as well. And by the end of this year both versions should be sporting SMS text messaging as well as voip.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovemagicjack12345 wrote:
I am with you dude. Yeah I knew about the MJP and computer thing. The exciting thing is that you can leave your MJP and laptop home and go to Hong Kong or wherever only with you iPhone (or Droid) and keep in in Airplane mode while you are there and make and receive calls to/fr the USA either in your hotel or at any WIFI hotspot. 100% free. That is cool. I think that is a big deal. And you don't even have to buy a MJP. The App for your smartphone is free.

If you check around, at least at the time of this post, you will be hard pressed to find many other apps which provide the functionality to receive calls on a wireless while ONLY in WIFI mode.

Of course you would need full internet access. WIFI in a truncated internet access may or may not work.

- Correct on all counts. Who the heck wants to schlep a laptop around - or even a netbook - just to place and receive calls? The iOS app works GREAT! I love it!

But anyone who wants to call a MJ app user - even if the user is overseas - doesn't *necessarily* have to first call a MJ access number! A MagicJack app user has THREE choices re: MagicJack telephone service: 1) They can use the app with its own MJ number as a "stand-alone" FREE phone service - which MJ now refers to as "Basic" service and which require callers to first call a MJ access number and *then* enter the MJ customer's assigned number (as has been described); 2) When registering/activating the downloaded app they can purchase a full-featured, APP-ONLY MJ phone number (last I saw it was only $10/year and was called something like "Premier" service or whatever) - thus allowing callers to call the user's MJ number *directly*; or 3) When registering/activating the downloaded app they can LINK it to their PRE-EXISTING "regular" paid MJ number (if they already have one) AT NO CHARGE (and which of course also allows callers to call the MJ customer's number directly) ... if the user does this, when a caller calls one's MJ number both the MJ customer's MJ device AND his/her MJ app-running iOS device will ring (because they both share the same MJ number)... answering the call on one will stop the ringing on the other (in other words, it works a lot like Google Voice does when set up in this manner).

But app users should know that MJ's e911 service does NOT work with the app (for obvious reasons).
greenman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
... A MagicJack app user has THREE choices re: MagicJack telephone service: 1) They can use the app with its own MJ number as a "stand-alone" FREE phone service - which MJ now refers to as "Basic" service and which require callers to first call a MJ access number and *then* enter the MJ customer's assigned number (as has been described); 2) When registering/activating the downloaded app they can purchase a full-featured, APP-ONLY MJ phone number (last I saw it was only $10/year and was called something like "Premier" service or whatever) - thus allowing callers to call the user's MJ number *directly*; or 3) When registering/activating the downloaded app they can LINK it to their PRE-EXISTING "regular" paid MJ number (if they already have one) AT NO CHARGE (and which of course also allows callers to call the MJ customer's number directly) ... if the user does this, when a caller calls one's MJ number both the MJ customer's MJ device AND his/her MJ app-running iOS device will ring (because they both share the same MJ number)... answering the call on one will stop the ringing on the other (in other words, it works a lot like Google Voice does when set up in this manner).

But app users should know that MJ's e911 service does NOT work with the app (for obvious reasons).
This is great info, especially considering that the android app just came out. Thanks. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: