magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

says a local call is a "conference call"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoonieRach
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: says a local call is a "conference call" Reply with quote

This week my magic jack plus decided that calls to one local prefix are "conference calls". I was on chat for one hour with technical support and got no help. They just kept telling me to read the terms of service and that I would have to purchase prepaid minutes to make these locals calls. I have been calling these numbers for over two years with my magic jack. This change just happened this week.
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: says a local call is a "conference call" Reply with quote

same thing may have happen to me when I tried to fax to a number that I have sent faxes to before ...

Looks like numbers you call a on a regular bases may be put into a category to grab more money from you ...

would think that might be illegal too but ???

DoonieRach wrote:
This week my magic jack plus decided that calls to one local prefix are "conference calls". I was on chat for one hour with technical support and got no help. They just kept telling me to read the terms of service and that I would have to purchase prepaid minutes to make these locals calls. I have been calling these numbers for over two years with my magic jack. This change just happened this week.
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get used to it.... soon ALL calls will a charge / minute!
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
Get used to it.... soon ALL calls will a charge / minute!

Sent ole dan an email ... lets see what his peeps send back ...
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far here is my emails:

Subject: Blocking my Pension Fax Number now??? What !!!

Dan,

This number (xxxxxxxxxx) is my PENSION fax number NOT a conference all line �

Come on � this is how I exchange info for my pension �

What the heck is going on ???

I need access to that number as it is my lifeline �

connie
xxx xxx xxxx (My MJ+ number)

Dear connie,

My name is Jonathan and Dan asked me to assist you.

Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

We may require prepaid purchase and/or we may charge you for calls to conference lines, platforms and certain non-ILEC area calls, or any call wherein we incur a cost from another carrier. We may provide for a fee, premium prepaid services, which may be powered by YMAX Communications Corp. (YMAX), and may include some inbound, international, conference, platform and outbound calls that receive a recording and certain calls to non-ILEC areas, and the rates for those services will be governed by listed price lists or tariffs.

Please purchase prepaid minutes in your account portal at www.my.magicjack.com in for your call to go through

Your understanding to this matter is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Arnold (he said his name was Jonathan)

Jonathan,

I cannot understand �

I have called this number many times to fax pension info �

WHY NOW are you wanting EXTRA money from a person on a pension ???

On top of this it is a LOCAL call � Remember your ad �FREE LOCAL CALLS� �

Look � I cannot afford a �NEW� charge for local calls that I have to make to survive � just refund my money as I just re-newed in August.

connie

Dear connie,

magicJack can call for FREE within the United States and Canada. However, since you've been prompted to purchase pre-paid minutes, the purchase will be necessary to complete the call. In some circumstances, we may require prepaid purchase or we may charge you for calls to conference lines, platforms and certain non-ILEC area calls, or any call wherein we incur a cost from another carrier.
Should you have further questions, please email us again.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I was NEVER charged to make this call before � that is one reason I renewed � This is a local call that you are now charging �

Your cost is the cost of doing business and you never informed me this before my renewal � so just refund my money �

connie

Waiting for the next reply ...
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that Dan is working on a secret plan to charge only for phone calls you do not make.... Twisted Evil
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ... my last email was very interesting ... I will report back if dreams really do come true in 3 to 5 business days ...

cell14 wrote:
I hear that Dan is working on a secret plan to charge only for phone calls you do not make.... Twisted Evil
Iam
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: says a local call is a "conference call" a rip Reply with quote

DoonieRach wrote:

I have the same issue with magicjack. Magicjack�s rep is telling me that I need to purchase prepaid minutes if I call a number that has a recording before you get connected to a live person. The area code I tried to access is 603, and the rep said it is listed on the high cost area. I asked for a list of area codes affected by this agreement and the Rep. ended the conversation. Not only that, their new strategy is to paste repeatedly the same long message; so they will not have to answer your questions.

Chat session wrote:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Aram'

Vic: Hello Aram
Aram: Hello, how may I help you?
Vic: I do not have access to area code 603
Vic: I get a message telling me that I need to purchase conference minutes

Aram: I see
Aram: If you hear that message you will need to purchase prepaid minutes.
Aram: Please go to my.magicjack.com/prepaid for more details.
Aram: Great majority of where you can call is free, including certain numbers in countries or areas outside the US. In some instances, you may be required to purchase prepaid minutes to call an International number or a conference line or where a recording is now playing.
Aram: In the Terms of Service: magicjack.com/tos
Aram: Agreement Number 4. What Is Free and What is Not:
Aram: "We may require prepaid purchase and/or we may charge you for calls to conference lines, platforms and certain non-ILEC area calls, or any call wherein we incur a cost from another carrier."
Aram: magicJack completes calls to conference lines, platforms and certain non-ILEC area calls in conjunction with large phone carriers and these calls require a prepaid purchase. Please know that these rates are at a substantial discount to Verizon rates and the other largest carriers and are the wholesale rates of the largest carrier.
Aram: ILEC refers to the local telephone company in the United States that was in existence at the time of the breakup of AT&T into the Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOCs), also known as the "Baby Bells." The ILEC is the former Bell System or Independent Telephone Company responsible for providing local telephone exchange services in a specified geographic area. GTE was the second largest ILEC after the Bells, but it has since been absorbed into Verizon, a RBOC.
Vic: 603 is an area code within the USA
Aram: Yes I understand that but the reason why you can't longer call that number it is because it is already listed on the high cost area.
Vic: high cost area?
Aram: Yes
Aram: "We may require prepaid purchase and/or we may charge you for calls to conference lines, platforms and certain non-ILEC area calls, or any call wherein we incur a cost from another carrier."
Aram: magicJack completes calls to conference lines, platforms and certain non-ILEC area calls in conjunction with large phone carriers and these calls require a prepaid purchase. Please know that these rates are at a substantial discount to Verizon rates and the other largest carriers and are the wholesale rates of the largest carrier.
Vic: I am not making a conference call
Aram: Yes I understand that but if you hear that kind of message you need to purchase a IPP minutes in order to reach that number since the number that your trying to call is already listed on the high cost area
Aram: ILEC refers to the local telephone company in the United States that was in existence at the time of the breakup of AT&T into the Regional Bell Operating Companies (RBOCs), also known as the "Baby Bells." The ILEC is the former Bell System or Independent Telephone Company responsible for providing local telephone exchange services in a specified geographic area. GTE was the second largest ILEC after the Bells, but it has since been absorbed into Verizon, a RBOC.
Vic: when the breakup of AT&T took effect?
Vic: because I was able to call this number not too long ago

Aram: Just started recently
Vic: will I have the same problem with my regular landline telephone service?
Vic: or my cell phone?
Vic: let me see
Vic: I am going to try calling from my cell phone
Vic: and then from my landline long distance carrier
Vic: I have no problem calling from my cell phone

Vic: same result with my landline, no problem
Vic: why the problem with magicjack?

Vic: listen
Vic: I was able to make phone calls to this area code with magicjack. If you added this area code later to your high cost list, them, you are supposed to let us know
Vic: I am going to post this conversation on the web and see how many magicjack users are having the same problem
Vic: Can you provide me with a list of high cost area codes affected by this breakup?
Aram:
I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Jordan'
Please wait while I transfer the chat to 'Aram'.
You are now chatting with 'Aram'
Aram: Hi Vic
Vic: I was chating with you
Aram: yes I understand
Vic: so, what's going on?
Vic: I am not a happy camper with this issue

Aram: I understand your problem Vic but the only way to call the number that you want to reach is for you to purchase a IPP minutes in able for you to reach the number
Aram: Since the number that your trying to call is already been listed on the high cost area
Vic: are you going to provide me with a list of high cost area codes affected by this change?
Vic: could you stop pasting the same message over and over
Aram: I perfectly understand your situation, however I believe we are keep on repeating the same process. May I now end this chat session? Thank you
Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat
You are not currently in a chat session.
You are not currently in a chat session.
You are not currently in a chat session..
tm19
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this same issue just today for a 270 area code number. It took me by surprise, because I had never heard that for a domestic long-distance number before.

I called the same number with Google Voice for free -- no nasty message about having to have a prepaid account.

Maybe there should be an area on the forums where we can start entering these expensive numbers (not the whole number, just the area code and exchange numbers, perhaps).
lmsang
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem. Charging for local calls now. Can't call any businesses hardly. When I went online to chat with them (two different names from the MJ rep), they just kept posting the terms and conditions. HIGHLY frustrating... and rude. Totally unimpressed. No point in having MJ if I have to keep using my cell phone to call my dentist, doctor, schools, etc. BRUTAL. If anyone has any luck getting a logical answer to this, let us all know!
greenman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours are one of a number of exchanges that are blocked by magicJack.
This has been a problem for a while now.
They don't advertise it, obviously, but there are a growing number of small local phone companies that are fighting back because they ostensibly can't afford the exchange costs. So when they charge more than magicJack is willing to pay, you're forced to use long-distance/international pre-paid phone credit to call someone who might be just next door.

http://mjcheck.low.li/banned-exchanges/
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN GENERAL, greenman is correct. HOWEVER, in some cases the problem is not actually at MJ's end but rather the result of mistakes being made at the local telephone company's end with regard to switch/call routing settings etc. It is therefor always a good idea to ask someone you know whose phone you can't call to do you the favor of reporting the problem to their phone company - in addition to YOU reporting the problem to MJ - just in case it's a phone company interconnection, call routing or call flagging/billing coding error. These kinds of errors seem to be more likely when a local company has been acquired by another and/or has otherwise recently made some major changes to their network equipment and/or software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: