magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running a full copy of XP on your thin client? *Read This*

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimisbell wrote:
I checked clearances for the 10gb drive and it fits easily inside the T5700. It would not fit in a T5710 because of more heat sinks. The T5700, or at least the one I have that is labeled "Engineering Sample" has very small heat sinks compared to the 5710.

Now I wonder if there will be enough cooling without a fan and a real HD inside the case. Any ideas?

I have ordered the 44 pin adapter and already have a cable with the right connectors on either end. The adapter to the HD has a 5V input on it, any idea where I should get the 5volts

The HD is an IBM Telstar drive.

For any voltage, you would have to solder to a point on the mobo. I actually soldered a fan on one of my thin clients that was running a quad PCI network card that got too hot. I had to use a multimeter to measure voltage on different solder points while it was on until I found one I liked.

If you get a regular 2.5" laptop hard drive, it will not need any additional voltage. You can probably find a cheap 2.5" used on ebay or craigs list if you want to go that route.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a "regular" 2.5" drive. Its for a IBM laptop. Is IBM some sort of non standard?
stroths

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd. Maybe its non-standard or has some adapter on it that uses a separate power connector. Here is a diagram of a standard 44 pin connection. You will notice the extra 4 pins (compared to a 40 pin PATA drive) are for power.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/5310c/Jumpers.htm
jimisbell

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
That is odd. Maybe its non-standard or has some adapter on it that uses a separate power connector. Here is a diagram of a standard 44 pin connection. You will notice the extra 4 pins (compared to a 40 pin PATA drive) are for power.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/5310c/Jumpers.htm

My adapter has pin 43 of the drive side connected to the negative side of a PokHom connector (black wire) and not connected thru to the same connector on the cable side. And the positive side (red wire) is connected to 42 on the cable side, that pin is connected through from drive side to cable side. The PokHom is a standard drive power connector. It looks like the 5volts was applied through this connector. This is a 44pin to 44 pin adapter. (CF to IDE ???)
jimisbell

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, now that I look at all the components I realize that what I really need is a CF to CF ribbon cable. My HD, an IBM Travelstar Model DJSA-210 10gb drive has a male connection that is exactly the same as the CF connector on the T5700 mother board. So I am assuming that a 7" ribbon cable with a female connector on each end will put the 10gig drive in operation.

BUT...I have searched EBay and can find none for sale. Does anyone have a source for this cable????
stroths

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The connector on the HP thin client is a 44 pin male PATA. Search on ebay with 44 pin cable and you will get a lot of results. For a standard laptop drive, it must be female on both ends of the cable. This is the cable you would use with a standard laptop hard drive. It's the same type I used to connect a 30gb 2.5 laptop drive to one of my thin clients when I was testing different configurations.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That's the info I was missing. I didnt realize till today that the standard IDE was 40 pin and these are 44 pin. Somehow I had it in my mind that IDE was 44 pin and without looking closely they are almost the same size! The adapter that I was discussing that I have is a 44pin laptop HD to 40 pin IDE adapter.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: WOW, that was EASY Reply with quote

I plugged the 8" female to female laptop drive cable into the IBM Travelstar 10 gb hard drive, pulled the flash drive out of its socket carefully, pluged the other end of the cable there, mounted the HD to the metal top of the TC5700 case (the TC5710 is harder because there are more heat sinks) closed the thing up, connected a mini keyboard, mouse and monitor and turned the mess on. It booted immediately to Windows ME (thats what I had left on the drive three years ago when it went into the junk box)

Then I plugged in a USB CD drive with the XP CD in it and re booted. 51 minutes later I have a FULL XP system running on the T5700. Works just like its should.

Tomorrow I will install the MJ, OBD software, and what ever else I think might be handy in the car.

Its the simplest install I have ever done and no modifications to the computer. I think if one wants to add a real HD to a TC then they should consider a 5700 NOT a 5710 because all you will loose if some speed...800 mhz as opposed to 1.2Ghz but you dont have to modify a thing and the installation including mounting the drive to the lid is less than 45 minutes. The install of XP takes longer than that and its all automated. Very Happy
stroths

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: WOW, that was EASY Reply with quote

jimisbell wrote:
I plugged the 8" female to female laptop drive cable into the IBM Travelstar 10 gb hard drive, pulled the flash drive out of its socket carefully, pluged the other end of the cable there, mounted the HD to the metal top of the TC5700 case (the TC5710 is harder because there are more heat sinks) closed the thing up, connected a mini keyboard, mouse and monitor and turned the mess on. It booted immediately to Windows ME (thats what I had left on the drive three years ago when it went into the junk box)

Then I plugged in a USB CD drive with the XP CD in it and re booted. 51 minutes later I have a FULL XP system running on the T5700. Works just like its should.

Tomorrow I will install the MJ, OBD software, and what ever else I think might be handy in the car.

The t5700 comes in a 1ghz as well, which is what mine is. The pics in my upgrade thread show my t5700 1ghz vs my t5710 1.2ghz. If I had to pick between the two, I would go with my t5700 because it runs cooler and doesn't need the larger heatsinks the t5710 does. It also leaves plenty of room for an internal hard drive if properly mounted.

Its the simplest install I have ever done and no modifications to the computer. I think if one wants to add a real HD to a TC then they should consider a 5700 NOT a 5710 because all you will loose if some speed...800 mhz as opposed to 1.2Ghz but you dont have to modify a thing and the installation including mounting the drive to the lid is less than 45 minutes. The install of XP takes longer than that and its all automated. Very Happy
stroths

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: WOW, that was EASY Reply with quote

jimisbell wrote:

The t5700 comes in a 1ghz as well, which is what mine is. The pics in my upgrade thread show my t5700 1ghz vs my t5710 1.2ghz. If I had to pick between the two, I would go with my t5700 because it runs cooler and doesn't need the larger heatsinks the t5710 does. It also leaves plenty of room for an internal hard drive if properly mounted.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the OBD-II software installed and running, I got the GPS installed and running, but the MJ wouldnt install, it said I had the wrong version. I think all I have to do is install SP2 which is not yet installed...I hope that is all it is.

I have found a joystick like trackball that you operate with your thumb with a trigger under your finger to do the "left click" that I plan on adding and I think I have also found a nice VGA 6.5" monitor that will mount nicely in the dash on EBAY for less than $40 delivered.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not find SP2 to install it. When I search for SP2 I find lots of places that want to sell me something under the guise of a free SP2 download. But I know I have downloaded it in the past with no problems. Can anyone tell me where to look to get an SP2 update without wading through a bunch of crap that I have to buy to get access to it??

I am absolutely sure I have done this before as I have used this CD before and I was always informed by BigFix to go get SP2 and I did. But now BigFix is no longer supported.

I am also having a problem getting the OS activated as it doesnt want toconnect to the activation center and if I try to activate it by phone I have to shut down the computer to turn on my MJ so I can call them. But that means it will generatye another activation code that wont match the one I give the guy on the phone.

Maybe I dont need SP2 but MJ doesnt like it the way it is and tells me it cannot install on this version of XP, and I think I read somewhere that MJ needs SP2??

This has turned into a mess.
stroths

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimisbell wrote:
I can not find SP2 to install it. When I search for SP2 I find lots of places that want to sell me something under the guise of a free SP2 download. But I know I have downloaded it in the past with no problems. Can anyone tell me where to look to get an SP2 update without wading through a bunch of crap that I have to buy to get access to it??

I am absolutely sure I have done this before as I have used this CD before and I was always informed by BigFix to go get SP2 and I did. But now BigFix is no longer supported.

I am also having a problem getting the OS activated as it doesnt want toconnect to the activation center and if I try to activate it by phone I have to shut down the computer to turn on my MJ so I can call them. But that means it will generatye another activation code that wont match the one I give the guy on the phone.

Maybe I dont need SP2 but MJ doesnt like it the way it is and tells me it cannot install on this version of XP, and I think I read somewhere that MJ needs SP2??

This has turned into a mess.

Here is a link to SP2 for XP. The trick is to search for the word "redistributable" (without the quotes) in addition to XP and SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Can't help on the activation question, but maybe someone else can.
almostageek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to pull the ewfntldr file off of a t5730 running xpe sp3, but after a search I can not find the file. Does sp3 use the ewfntldr file?
jimisbell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the easy way to activate it was to put the HD on my desktop and go from there. It worked perfectly.
almostageek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Trouble finding file for Enhanced Write Filter (EWF) Reply with quote

I am trying to install the enhanced write filter,(EWF), but one of the files that I need (ewfntldr) does not seem to exist on the Xpe Sp3 T5730, which by the way has the EWF installed and active.
stroths

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble finding file for Enhanced Write Filter (EWF) Reply with quote

almostageek wrote:
I am trying to install the enhanced write filter,(EWF), but one of the files that I need (ewfntldr) does not seem to exist on the Xpe Sp3 T5730, which by the way has the EWF installed and active.

I will not post a direct link here, but look at post #7 at the link below.

http://tinyurl.com/2w3epgn

You can also google ewf.zip and find some other sources.
almostageek
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: When EWF is installed on full xp do you get the lock icon Reply with quote

When EWF is properly installed on XpPro do you still get the lock symbol in the lower right of the screen that changes colors, red, green, & yellow depending on condition.
stroths

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: When EWF is installed on full xp do you get the lock ico Reply with quote

almostageek wrote:
When EWF is properly installed on XpPro do you still get the lock symbol in the lower right of the screen that changes colors, red, green, & yellow depending on condition.

No. That is just a program (service) that checks the status and allows you to commit, disable, etc. I use another one that someone wrote using autohotkey. I can't find the page, but here is a link to my copy.

http://rapidshare.com/files/246116452/ewf-monitor.rar

I included 2 copies of the same app. The exe version doesn't require you to install autohotkey. The .ahk file is uncompiled, but will run just fine without compiling if you have autohotkey installed.

I provided both so you can choose the one you want. I would suggest the exe.

Put a shortcut link to one of them in your startup folder and you will be good to go.

Here are some EWF apps I did write (using autohotkey). They allow you to check the status, disable EWF, etc. They do not run all the time like the other app, but only run on demand.

http://rapidshare.com/files/246117302/stroths_EWF.rar
Polo81
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Full XP Pro OEM on T5720 512 Ram 2GB FM Reply with quote

stroths wrote:
About a year ago, I bought an external USB enclosure for a laptop hard drive. I use this for all my installs because its portable and runs off the USB power.

You might consider buying one off ebay or somewhere cheap. Any external cdrom will work. You can even get an enclosure for a regular 5.25 bay cd/dvd drive.

They also make adapters that plug into the back of a hard drive or a CD/DVD drive. I bought one for about $15 from Fry's a while back and it has a laptop connector, SATA and IDE port so you can plug a variety of drives into it. On the other end is a USB cable so you can make about any drive portable.

I've never tried to install XP off a USB stick, so I can't really help there.

I would like to install full XP on my T5720. I am using external USD drive, while installing it fails to format the 2GB flash drive from Transcend, it's brand new, never been used. Am I missing a step here, has anyone experienced similar problem?
stroths could you please provide steps on installation full XP on 2GB FD.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: