magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reverse look-up api

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuq00
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: reverse look-up api Reply with quote

Hey there I was wondering if someone out there who has a bit of coding experience could look into this: http://developer.whitepages.com/ they let you sign up and get their api that you can put into a program. I was wondering if someone could look at this and see about putting this into majicjack if so please post the info, I would put my own API into it seeing as how they have a little bit of limitations with each api. Thanks
somenon3
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by "putting it into MagicJack"?
From what I've seen, MagicJack doesn't have any SDK's out there, or even support for any kind of integration.
An API allows you to integrate your own applications into something else, or use the capabilities of other programs within yours.
API = Application Programming Interface.
It's basically the sole purpose behind .dll files (well, the original purpose). DLL's are Dynamic Link Libraries, named that way because they could be accessed from any application given the correct entry points (functions/structures/class names/etc.).

Essentially, if you were wanting to use this API for reverse lookup, you'd have to write a program that used the API and made calls to whitepages database (through the API) to find information about the phone number (such as name/address/etc.), BUT it would not have the ability to integrate directly with magicJack unless MJ posted and SDK or API documentation of their own.
However, there are workarounds, but it would be tricky. First off, I would say that you could have a program that sat in the taskbar and waited for an executable to run (say magicjack.exe) but the mj executable is always running. So you'd have to find some kind of triggers to look for when a call came in. There are ways to "hook" into windows to grab information from other programs, but it's extremely tricky, and can result in program crashes if not performed correctly.

HOWEVER, there is another way this could be done. If you had a phone line splitter and a modem lying around, there are plenty of modem API's out there, so you could have a modem report to you when the line is ringing, but your modem would have to support CID to grab the CID from the call. You'd have to write code to instruct the modem to NOT answer the call, just report when it's ringing, similar to the TAPI protocols.

Hope this helps you, sorry it's probably not what you wanted to hear.
-Some
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somenon3 wrote:
what do you mean by "putting it into MagicJack"?
From what I've seen, MagicJack doesn't have any SDK's out there, or even support for any kind of integration.

Technically, there is no problem -- you add code that accesses WP to a SIP proxy that sits between the MJ app and the MJ server, similar to how the spoofer works. If fact, it's probably easiest to put the code in the spoofer. The name would be displayed on your phone, as well as in the softphone window. However, the licensing requirements are somewhat strict, and I don't know whether the WP folks would allow such an app. I posed this question in their forum; there was a comment from another developer, but none yet from WP management. See http://developer.whitepages.com/forum/read/19870 . If they do not respond in the next day or so, I'll probably post a CNAM script.
chuq00
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That would be great if it was incorporated into the spoofer script. The more things we can do with MJ the better!
Although I cannot get the spoofer to work for me... I have tried several servers and everything I can think of but to no avail... guess I need to make another post under spoofer.
Look forward to seeing your addition to script
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: