magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing landline phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delljim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Replacing landline phone Reply with quote

I made the mistake of replacing my land line with magicjack. My problem is when I shut down my Apple computer or put it to sleep, my phone goes off, leaving my wife with no phone as she does not use a computer. At night, I put my computer to sleep so we have no phone other than the cell. If I leave with the cell, my wife has no phone.

I have tried different workarounds with no luck. My only options are get a landline phone again, or buy a 2nd cell phone for my wife.

I'm sure many of you have run into the same situation. Would like to hear other solutions. Thanks much.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAYBE if you had done a LITTLE research first you would have known you HAVE to keep the PC on for your MJ to work.
All you need to do is forward your MJ # to your cell phone, this way when your PC is off you can still get calls on your cell.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
delljim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: replacing magic jack with landline Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. I was aware and have used that option, but that still leaves my wife at home with no phone. I may have to look into getting her a cell phone, or just go back to my old landline.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into this product as NO PC required and it is similar to the MJ

https://www.tk6000.com/

If you have had your MJ for less than 30 days return it and get your money back and put it towards this device as it costs a bit more.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thin client might be an option. Or, just leave your computer on. Can't imagine going back to a landline. I'll bet you a cookie that leaving your computer on, especially a thin client, would be cheaper than going back to a land line, unless you showed financial hardship.
delljim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Switching to landline????? Reply with quote

TK6000 is not presently compatible with an Apple computer. Looks like a good option Joe----Soon as they make it compatible.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm why not just leave the PC on all the time? Power off your monitor and, if Apple offers it, spin down your hard drive but do NOT put your PC in sleep mode.. The MJ wont work in sleep mode. Other than that there is always Ooma ( www.ooma.com) YES it is a lot more expensive than the MJ but it might just be what you need as it will be cheaper than a landline after a few months..

Joe Sica
delljim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Getting new landline Reply with quote

Joe---Yes I have all those options set on my iMac. That may do the trick. What do you think of the option of RESTART AUTOMATICALLY AFTER POWER FAILURE? That can be checked or unchecked.---Jim
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.. But since I do not have a Mac I cant say for sure but seems like a good setting as it would be the same as powering off then on, no??

Joe Sica
delljim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Getting a landline Reply with quote

One exception----If computer is turned off or put to sleep.,Magic Jack will not restart on its own. That has been my experience--Jim
Brenbro2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: TK6000 Apple Compatibility Reply with quote

I'm not sure that compatibility with any particular type computer OS is a factor with the TK6000. It is connectable directly to the Internet via your router and the PC connectability is really only a backup provision or if you don't in fact have a router (low cost routers are readily available). No computer is required to use the TK6000, only a high speed internet connection. Laughing
delljim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will take that in consideration. They do not have my area code open yet, so like Magic Jack I would expect lots of changes in the future.
Brenbro2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the TK6000 is one of the obtions I'm looking at as an alternative to the MJ at the lower cost end (primarily because of lack of Linux support and the need for PC being on to have the phone avail.). I am thinking seriously about Globalinx they are currently using the Grandstream GPV3000 video phone I believe. I am also considering the purchase of The GPV3000 ($219 - $270+) as an open standalone and setting up my choice of of voip services (obtion of 3 lines different services. Could then program in Skype, Yahoo, Voipbuster or whatever on the phone (setup info for about 8 or 9 different services provided in their manual). Phone also has built in router and can be connected between the DSL modem and the PC. The call fowarding to my cell is not an obtion for me, can't forward my U.S. number to my Philippines cell and if I could would be a long distance call - LoL.

Don't misunderstand, am happy with the MJ in general and you can't beat the cost. But in the Service you learn to make contingencie plans to cover you butt.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenious ripoff. That hunk of crap as you call it. Last month, it was originally three payments of $29.95 for $90. Now they have ELIMINATED one payment for only TWO payments of $49.95 for $100.00, a $10 increase. What kind of math is that?
Brenbro2
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHO EVER EDITED MY POST and added "That Hunk of crap rip off" to it, please DO NOT do anything like that again!!!!!! It would been better had you corrected my miss spelling of "option" then added words that were not mine over my signature. If you know for a "fact" about said equipment or want to express your opinion, then tells us over your own signature how and why you know this. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: