magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Registerd Users Of MJS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zmaddmattz
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Registerd Users Of MJS Reply with quote

I just was doing a member search and I noticed the thousands of members (Seemed like thousands) that never made one post Going back over a year. you have to login to see the the tricks and hacks. these people are essentially leaching information off of the site. I can find alot of names I would have used if they were available. I thinkthe admin should purge the boards of these leechers. Its ben a while since I have used phpBB so I don't really remember the admins options. last board I configured was on a windows machine (no php). But I do know how to write php plugins for phpBBs. for a small fee (joking) I would write a plugin that the deletes any member that has a post count of zero and has been a member for over 30 days.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to agree with purging dormant accounts (I'm not the admin and simply have not made up my mind on the subject.), I would modify your criteria to be that accounts should be purged if there is a zero post count and the account has not been logged into in the past 60 days. This would spare active lurkers from being purged, while killing off the truly dead accounts.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Registerd Users Of MJS Reply with quote

zmaddmattz wrote:
you have to login to see the the tricks and hacks. these people are essentially leaching information off of the site.

Personally, I would lift the requirement to register to see the "hacks" forum. I don't see what purpose that serves except to create the very problem you're complaining about (people registering with no intent to post). Which then leads to a subsequent problem of creating an incentive for people to post just so their ID won't be purged (when they have nothing to say). That would just generate noise.

Mark
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeting to all the gods and smarter than Dans who have made this pool of knowledge possible. And for that Yoda in Utah, wow. This newbie thanks you all! I have spend a number of hours over the past two days reading thru several stickys in a number of topics - getting up to speed in this forum. From what I have read so far, this will be a regular spot for me. I have already bought the 1st Jack and am preparing for the 1st thin client. Looking forward to getting dunked my the Masters and keeping the pool clean to help those who follow.
VoipDude
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mark, the registration should be removed, as it serves no real purpose.
easypc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: wow MJ Reply with quote

wow mj is great.
a small barebones
MSI Wind Nettop 100 Intel 945GC 1 x 200Pin Intel GMA 950 Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System - Retail $149.00 newegg
add harddrive.....750GB $60.00 geeks.com
add memory..Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Laptop Memory Model KVR533D2S4/2G - Retail
# Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Laptop Memory Model KVR533D2S4/2G - Retail.....$24.00 newegg
works great for mj server /router/phone!plus an os w2k or xphome from used computer at with coa at yardsale $100 the money i saved on my phone bill last year paid for four of these if i wanted!
magicjack you rock!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lockmaster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: registration Reply with quote

Actually I think registration has its advantages. Unless I am wrong, registration enables users to share additional technical information with each other (thru persoinal messages) that might not be of interest to everyone else in the open forum. Several registered members have provided very valuable into to me directly on tc(s) and other related MJ subjects that I might not have received otherwise. I would suggest that perhaps a 60 day dormant period would be great rather than removing registration completely.
schwim
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone was saying that registering wasn't beneficial. Someone stated that the people forced to register to view portions of a public information forum were "leaches". The people looking at it logically simply stated that it was a problem created by the administration and registration shouldn't be mandatory to view a particular portion of the forum if they were concerned about stagnant user accounts.

I'm keeping my account warm, in case I have a problem in the near future Smile

thanks,
json
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
geohaneke
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: magicJack registration Reply with quote

As a new user of to forum, I will not make many posts. I will read a lot and try to find answers to any questions I have. I have little experience with magicJack. I ordered it with a five year prepay and plugged it in. It has worked exactly as I wanted with on small hitch since. I worked the problem out with Tech Support and have had no further problems.

I sometimes go months without checking forums that I belong to. I have one for repair and maintenance of old Army trucks. We have one we use with our VFD. When it has a problem then I will check out those forums. The same will be true here. If things are working then I will not be looking to fix it. I am not smart enough to be able to add any expertise to these discussions, other than I followed the directions and it worked as I had hoped.

Remember that this old man would rather not say anything and be thought less of, than say something that proves it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: