magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

power adapter for magic jack plus not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivianlmft
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: power adapter for magic jack plus not working Reply with quote

My magick jack plus suddenly stopped working. It did not have a dial tone. I plugged and unplugged the unit, also the router, etc. and nothing worked. I took it off the ac power adapter and plugged it directly on the computer and the power light came on and it works that way. But what is the story with the power adapter? Where can a new power adapter be purchased? Does anyone else have this problem?
DeepYellow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vivianlmft,

To get a replacement magicJack PLUS Power Adapter:

Go to the main MJ webpage (http://www.magicjack.com/)

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the 'FAQ's / Knowledgebase' link.

Enter 'power adapter' in the search field and click 'Search'.

The first entry in the list of results I got was "Can I order a replacement power adapter?"

Find this entry and click on it. The answer to the question is:

"Yes. To order a replacement power adapter, please click here.
Note: Limit one replacement power adapter per customer"

The link takes you to the MyMagicJack login page. When you login, you are taken to an ordering page for the 'magicJack PLUS Power Adaptor'.

Price shows as "$0.00" and they repeat the "Limit one per customer" line.

I clicked on the order button to see if the price changes and it stayed at $0:00. I didn't take the order any further as I don't need a power adapter, so I can't vouch for what happens next, but it looks like you can get one replacement power adapter for free.

Good luck!

DY
vivianlmft
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. I 've ordered it, hope it does not malfunction again.
DeepYellow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Can you confirm that the power adapter was free - you weren't charged anything at all, even shipping?

Thanks,

DY
vivianlmft
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Confirmation Reply with quote

Yes, it was free including shipping.
DeepYellow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation vivianlmft.
tbrewer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had this problem. I went to the Live Chat option and entered my information. When I selected MagicJack Plus a new question was added. It asked if the blue light was solid or blinking. When I selected blinking I was offered the option to order a new power adapter for FREE. It was added to my cart at $.00 and free shipping. Don't know when it will get here, but I have confirmed that this was the problem. I tried the power adapter from my Droid tablet and the MagicJack is working just fine now.
vivianlmft
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the information. I was wondering whether there were other adapters that would work, especially since they only replace this one once.
alexis ed
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the bad news..... I too replaced my adapter after numerous hours with tech support, and, yes, it was free. But, guess what. It doesn't work either. My MJ+ worked for several months. In fact, it replaced my entire land line and is available throughout the house without being plugged directly into the computer. Tthen, NOT. Just a busy signal no matter what I do (other than plug it directly into the computer). I find tech support a little too optimistic and unable to really listen or diagnose the problem. My saved chats fill a binder. Any suggestions? Could the actual unit do bad??
Pilot
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are you saying; do you now have 2 power adapters / transformers (120 volt > 5 volt) that don't work?
If so, I suggest you buy another one from Ebay, from $2-$5
vivianlmft
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: New adapter arrived... Reply with quote

I received the new adapter in the mail and it worked immediately. Let's hope it stays working, it has been a few days now. Perhaps in the case of your adapters, both are defective or the actual unit is defective. I once had that problem with the regular magic jack and they replaced it for a charge of $10, but I don't know what their protocol is for magicjack plus. Good luck.
Los Angeles jack
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexis ed wrote:
Now for the bad news..... I too replaced my adapter after numerous hours with tech support, and, yes, it was free. But, guess what. It doesn't work either. My MJ+ worked for several months. In fact, it replaced my entire land line and is available throughout the house without being plugged directly into the computer. Tthen, NOT. Just a busy signal no matter what I do (other than plug it directly into the computer). I find tech support a little too optimistic and unable to really listen or diagnose the problem. My saved chats fill a binder. Any suggestions? Could the actual unit do bad??

Hi Alexis Ed, it could also turn out to be what you thought was a busy signal is actually a stutter dial tone indicating that you have voice mail. Try clearing all of your voice mails and see if you get a steady dial tone.
kkingcqe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack Plus Power Supply Reply with quote

They charge shipping for the power supply now. The amount is over $5. I bought a generic power supply on Amazon.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is still having issues with their MagicJack Plus adapter,
I explain some stuff about adapters, ...
...in the posts starting at the link here...
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post84082.html#84082

The post after those, from another member, proves how the choice of adapter can make a difference to the operation of your MagicJack Plus working better, or not.

Similar to what power supply you get to operate your computer, ...
...cheaper... isn't always better.
madraida
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Why is MJ Plus "destroying" power adapters? Reply with quote

My father-in-law's Magic Jack Plus power adapter stopped working on Jun 2014. Mine stopped working on Nov 2014. MJ sent me a replacement. It worked then stopped working yesterday. My MJ Plus power adapter is plugged into an APC UPS/surge protector.

Why do power adapters fail when used with MJ Plus? Is it drawing more power than the power adapter is rated for? Would using a 2A power adapter fix the problem?

That is really very annoying when we have to replace power adapters several times in a year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: