magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Multiple devices same account - switch numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feraz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Multiple devices same account - switch numbers Reply with quote

Looking for answers from people who actually have this.

Cannot seem to find a concrete answer for this. Is it possible to assign the telephone numbers from one device to the other, ie switch the numbers. What is the charge for this or can this be done multiple times if free. Have read there is a drop down box next to devices with phone numbers.

I have not set up new device yet, trying to switch to magic jack plus. Would like to go this route to reduce chances of losing one year service that come with new device. I have read many posts giving different options, need to find out if someone has used this method.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

notdeadyet
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't say for sure it would be the same with a MJ+ involved, but I DID exactly what you're wondering with 2 units I own...a 3rd and 4th gen...my CDN number was assigned to my 3rd gen unit, and I wanted it switched to my USA number assigned 4th gen...phoned in, was told it would be $10 for each change ($20 to switch the CDN to 4th and USA to 3rd)...I was told I had to activate my card in the auto renew section, which I did, the switch went thru, and I then immediately cancelled the auto renew again, and removed my card info, and I was never charged for the switch on my credit card Smile Smile
feraz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notdeadyet wrote:
can't say for sure it would be the same with a MJ+ involved, but I DID exactly what you're wondering with 2 units I own...a 3rd and 4th gen...my CDN number was assigned to my 3rd gen unit, and I wanted it switched to my USA number assigned 4th gen...phoned in, was told it would be $10 for each change ($20 to switch the CDN to 4th and USA to 3rd)...I was told I had to activate my card in the auto renew section, which I did, the switch went thru, and I then immediately cancelled the auto renew again, and removed my card info, and I was never charged for the switch on my credit card Smile Smile

Thanks, that is kind of the info I was looking for. Wonder if possible with US numbers. Looks like there is a drop down box for the phone numbers. Just wondering if changing numbers between devices incurs a charge when not a Canadian number.

We need a sticky for people who want to upgrade to MJ+ with two options. 1. Transfer old paid service or 2. Loose old paid service( about to expire) but not loose 1 year service with new device.

There are so many confusing and contraditory posts out there that it is tuff to decide which to follow.

Here is what I am trying to do:
I want to keep my old number, use the one year that comes with new MJ+ device (my old MJ device service expires soon). I am sure lots of people out there are in the same boat.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can switch phone number assignments among/between MJ devices and apps that are on the same account without incurring any additional charges for doing so.
feraz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
You can switch phone number assignments among/between MJ devices and apps that are on the same account without incurring any additional charges for doing so.

Thank you! so would this be the best/safest way to upgrade to MJ+ and keep the the one year free service and keep my old number and just let my other device expire?

I really wish there was a guide for this.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feraz wrote:
SteveHC wrote:

Thank you! so would this be the best/safest way to upgrade to MJ+ and keep the the one year free service and keep my old number and just let my other device expire?

- Not necessarily; it all depends on - among other things - what exactly is your highest priority and I'm unclear as to what yours is. Please do not read anything more into what I've written, though... no matter how you do it you will not be "gaining" more time on any one number than what you've paid for. For example: Let's say you already have a "standard" MJ with 1 year left on it and its number. You then buy a new MJ+ and receive a new number on it (you've now got 2 MJ devices, each with its own number paid up for one year). No matter how you then later "assign" the 2 numbers to whichever device - whether you "swap" the numbers among the devices or even assign one of the 2 numbers to both devices - you will STILL be left with 2 numbers each of which is paid up for one year... you will NOT have one number with 2 paid-up years on it.

OCCASIONALLY MJ offers current subscribers with only a standard MJ device an official "upgrade" deal wherein they can purchase a MJ+ directly from the company at a reduced cost and which directly REPLACES the standard MJ device but with no "free year" included... in this case your old number (along with its remaining paid-up time) is transfered from the standard device to the replacement MJ+ device and the old "standard" device is deactivated altogether. If you think this would be the best way for you to go and you haven't received any such offer from the company (either on your MJ softphone or via email) you could try asking about the possibility of it via MJ "live help chat."
feraz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:

- Not necessarily; it all depends on - among other things - what exactly is your highest priority and I'm unclear as to what yours is. Please do not read anything more into what I've written, though... no matter how you do it you will not be "gaining" more time on any one number than what you've paid for. For example: Let's say you already have a "standard" MJ with 1 year left on it and its number. You then buy a new MJ+ and receive a new number on it (you've now got 2 MJ devices, each with its own number paid up for one year). No matter how you then later "assign" the 2 numbers to whichever device - whether you "swap" the numbers among the devices or even assign one of the 2 numbers to both devices - you will STILL be left with 2 numbers each of which is paid up for one year... you will NOT have one number with 2 paid-up years on it.

OCCASIONALLY MJ offers current subscribers with only a standard MJ device an official "upgrade" deal wherein they can purchase a MJ+ directly from the company at a reduced cost and which directly REPLACES the standard MJ device but with no "free year" included... in this case your old number (along with its remaining paid-up time) is transfered from the standard device to the replacement MJ+ device and the old "standard" device is deactivated altogether. If you think this would be the best way for you to go and you haven't received any such offer from the company (either on your MJ softphone or via email) you could try asking about the possibility of it via MJ "live help chat."

That's exactly what I am trying to do. I used the upgrade offer and I have the device in hand. I have 1 month left on my old device, and I am trying to squeeze out an extra year from the upgrade.

I do not wish to transfer the balance from my previous device as I have read that it will cause me to loose the free year on the new device. I am sure there is a boatload of people in the same situation.

When it comes to the upgrade there are two camps of folks. One camp may have paid for 5 years and wants the balance transferred. The other camp wants nothing transferred and would like to get the free year that come with a new device. I am sure both camps wants to keep their existing number. I have read people that have been told by MJ that the number of years is tied to the device so their 5 years will be lost with upgrade (now there appears to be a transfer option). Excuse me for trying to take advantage of MJ and not pay for a year.

There should be lots of folks looking for the best way to complete the upgrade and looking for these answers. Thank you guys in the know for keeping us from having to deal with MJ CSRs! Cool
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feraz wrote:
SteveHC wrote:

That's exactly what I am trying to do. I used the upgrade offer and I have the device in hand. I have 1 month left on my old device, and I am trying to squeeze out an extra year from the upgrade.

I do not wish to transfer the balance from my previous device as I have read that it will cause me to loose the free year on the new device. I am sure there is a boatload of people in the same situation.

When it comes to the upgrade there are two camps of folks. One camp may have paid for 5 years and wants the balance transferred. The other camp wants nothing transferred and would like to get the free year that come with a new device. I am sure both camps wants to keep their existing number. I have read people that have been told by MJ that the number of years is tied to the device so their 5 years will be lost with upgrade (now there appears to be a transfer option). Excuse me for trying to take advantage of MJ and not pay for a year.

There should be lots of folks looking for the best way to complete the upgrade and looking for these answers. Thank you guys in the know for keeping us from having to deal with MJ CSRs! Cool

It's my recollection that the genuine, company-discounted "upgrade" offers do not come with a "free" year of service, as the offer is/was simply a *hardware* UPGRADE offer. But the company has also, in the past, occasionally offered new "general" MJ+ discounted purchase offers that DID come with a "free" year. I have no idea which deal it was that you7 took advantage of. Regardless, the details of number swapping among hardware devices remains as I've previously described.
feraz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:

It's my recollection that the genuine, company-discounted "upgrade" offers do not come with a "free" year of service, as the offer is/was simply a *hardware* UPGRADE offer. But the company has also, in the past, occasionally offered new "general" MJ+ discounted purchase offers that DID come with a "free" year. I have no idea which deal it was that you7 took advantage of. Regardless, the details of number swapping among hardware devices remains as I've previously described.

Hmm, so how will they track which of their devices are upgrades and which are regular, surely they will not be tracking the serial numbers of these devices. Unless they are basing it of the answers provided during registration.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feraz wrote:
SteveHC wrote:

Hmm, so how will they track which of their devices are upgrades and which are regular, surely they will not be tracking the serial numbers of these devices. Unless they are basing it of the answers provided during registration.

- Yes, they DO keep track of each device's (and app's) "serial number" - ABSOLUTELY. Every single one. As well as which type of offer you respond(ed) to (if you purchased the device directly from the company) and therefor whether or not they credited one year of service to the new device/phone number. It's not complicated.
ertooso
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodnight. Please tell me, if I have a smartphone and an iPad, can I connect these two Smart Devices to the same Google account, or do I need to create for each separately? And also, advise good AirPods. Maybe I can see something here on 4Pro? What do you think? Maybe some of you have already used the services of this site and can recommend something? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: