magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Answering Machine Not Picking Up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cabin Fever
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Answering Machine Not Picking Up? Reply with quote

I installed MJ+ last week. I could call out OK, but discovered the phone was not ringing for incoming calls. I did a search of the topic on the MJ website, but their suggestions did not work. I contacted chat and was told that because my number was being ported, the phone would not ring until that was completed. I got an email from MJ this morning saying that was now complete. I can now call out and get incoming calls.

Now, my answering machine will not pick up when I get a call. The MJ website said to set the answering machine to pick up after 3 rings. I did that, but it still won't pick up. I even tried setting it for 2 rings, with no luck. I contacted MJ chat, but they offered no other suggestions other than to, "check the answering machine users manual". Gee, thanks! It was working fine, until I switch to MJ.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

mjplus2000
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it going to mj voicemail? If so, after how many rings? Make sure the answering machine isn't set for custom ringing. Also, did you disconnect the original landline from the mix either at the side of the house or in the basement?

Edit: It's also very possible that the answering machine isn't detecting the ring depending on how many phones you have hooked up.
Cabin Fever
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the MJ+ voicemail is picking up after 5 rings. I've tried setting the answering machine set on 2 and 3 rings, but it just won't pick up for some reason. I've done many searches, but the only suggestion is to back off to 3 rings. I assume that has worked for everyone else??
mjplus2000
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my answering machine set for 4 rings and it works without issue. It really sounds like the am isn't registering the rings at all. Is the actual base associated with the am ringing? There might not be enough ring voltage from the mj to make it ring(or ring correctly) so it won't know to pick up.
mwCT
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Check Incoming Voice Reply with quote

I had a similar problem before MJ Engineering did something magical. It turns out the phone rang but there was no incoming voice. Once there was incoming voice, the answering machine picked up.
ponchatoulajohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

My answering machine, too, will not pick up. (Incidentally, there's something different about the MJ ring -- the individual rings are shorter than the AT&T rings.

But in any case, I can turn VM completely off on MJ, and my machine will never pick up. What "magic" did MJ Engineering do to enable "incoming voice," which allowed your home machine to work?

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: