magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
De-register before sale?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack related items For Sale / Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: De-register before sale? Reply with quote

I've got three expired MJs, one original and two Plus. Can I de-register them and sell them so that the buyer can start from scratch (without the free months obviously)? Is there personal info stored on the device itself?
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely no personal information stored on your magicJack or magicJack Plus dongles. You won't be able to resell them for use with magicJack's phone service unless you are brave enough to sell them with your phone number and active login information details.

You can however resell them without any worries for use with Google Voice's subscription free phone service. The only thing the buyer needs to do is plug the magicJack or magicJack Plus dongle into a USB port on their Windows computer and then download and install the GVJackApp.

The GVJackApp is a one time purchase and costs $12.95 (Standard Version). It now also supports Google Hangouts. Users can try it out free for 7 days to make sure it meets their needs before making a purchase decision.
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that clear info.

Re. GVJackApp:

I have ported my main number to Google Voice and use the GV plugin in my browser together with a USB cordless headset. Works great but I have to be the computer to receive and initiate calls.

I have an OBi100 and set that up to use Google Voice, but then discovered that it conflicted with the browser plugin. The OBi basically wants to "own" a Google Voice number, or put another way, you can only log in to one GV number from one device.

Can I assume that the GVJackApp behaves the same way?
Bill Smith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, yes. I have an Obi 110 and an old MJ that I use with the GVJackApp. I can make calls via GV using the MJ connected to the computer with the GVJackApp but can not receive calls. If the MJ-GVJackApp combo is used as the only method to connect to GV, then the phone will ring.
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limitation you are referring to is only present if you are still using Google's original phone service that is based on XMPP signalling. With the latter if you are signed in using the same Gmail account in more than one location, it confuses the Google Voice network where to send your incoming calls.

That limitation was however eliminated by Google with the release of their new Google Hangouts based phone service that is now also supported by the GVJackApp (i.e. GVJackApp2 for "New Hangouts Calling"). With Google Hangouts you can actually be signed into the very same account in multiple locations and all locations will ring when an incoming call arrives.

For example, you can use the new Google Hangouts version of the GVJackApp with your magicJack and also install the new Google Hangouts Dialer App available from the Google Playstore on your smartphone (ref. https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/6079055?hl=en ).

You can then place and receive free VoIP based calls using Google Hangouts on both your "GVJack" phone and your smartphone that are both signed in using the same Gmail account at the same time with no conflicts or problems.
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redpper - thanks for the clarification. I use the original GVJackApp since the computer is old and does not have the specs to run the newer version.
mmagic
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Sounds like I need to learn more about the Hangouts app(s). At first search, I don't see a dialer app that runs in my Windows browser (like the Flash dialer in Google Voice).

Re. privacy concerns with old MJs: MJ Plus only exposes one drive to the Windows desktop and mine only contains installers. However my original MJ exposes two drives. One of these contains my address book as AddressBook.xml, as well as a Profiles.db file. Definitely not something I'd want to pass along to a third party. Makes me wonder if there may be other files hidden in one or both MJ versions. I'm thinking these MJs may be e-Waste if I don't need them for GVJackApp.
Bill Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old MJ had a memory chip that stored the address book, et al. You can shred any personal files easily and then sell/give the devices for use with the GVJackApp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack related items For Sale / Wanted All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: