magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nothing to fear re e911 and/or Universal Service Fund fees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Nothing to fear re e911 and/or Universal Service Fund fees Reply with quote

In its most recent announcements, MJ execs made it pretty clear that even if MJ wound up *having* to collect e911 and/or Universal Service Fund fees from subscribers that doing so would result in very small if not negligible cost to its customers. My *guess* is that they'd find a way to charge it/them ONCE per subscription renewal rather than monthly. Regardless, they are VERY small. But MJ's made it pretty clear that they will not collect them unless taken to court by individual states over the issues and/or otherwise ordered to collect them in a legally enforceable manner.

As far as the potential ability of states and/or their counties or municipalities who currently impose separate "Public Service" (separate utility) taxes on telephone service accounts ever being able to somehow force MJ to begin collecting them on its customers goes: *I* do not see that happening, at least for the foreseeable future... and it is those Public Service taxes that would probably be the most troublesome for MJ customers, not e911 or Universal Service Fund fees. ON THE OTHER HAND, even such Public Service taxes would be pretty tiny for MJ customers - in the tax jurisdictions where they are currently imposed on landline and cellular providers they're typically 5%-10% of the *base* phone service bill; thus, for MJ customers, if they *were* to become required they would only add another $1 - $3 per YEAR.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue came up several times here on this forum( and elsewhere) and the general consensus is that unless there is some comprehensive federal regulation of VOIP attempts to collect 911 or utility/ sales taxes is rather futile. Even Callcentric which provides a mandatory 911 service for it's North American customers does not charge local 911 taxes. The credit card billing address is the only thing which can tie you up to a residence for VOIP purposes and there are ways around it.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
This issue came up several times here on this forum( and elsewhere) and the general consensus is that unless there is some comprehensive federal regulation of VOIP attempts to collect 911 or utility/ sales taxes is rather futile. Even Callcentric which provides a mandatory 911 service for it's North American customers does not charge local 911 taxes. The credit card billing address is the only thing which can tie you up to a residence for VOIP purposes and there are ways around it.

Apparently 1 or 2 individual states have been pursuing the issue regarding 1 or 2 of these taxes/fees on their own independently of the feds, in court. I'm not certain of what if any outcome there has been yet regarding it, but the impression I got from what little I've read about it led me to believe that MJ was intending on holding firm in its position. And you're right, the issues don't pertain just to MJ but to all VOIP providers. If I remember correctly, this stuff came up here most recently in another thread somewhere when another poster raised these 1 or 2 individual state cases, implying that they might "doom" MJ if it had to start collecting the taxes and fees LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: