magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MJ+ with Sprint wireless router - no computer, no t.c.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommytoes2011
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: MJ+ with Sprint wireless router - no computer, no t.c. Reply with quote

Using the MJ+ with a Sprint wireless router presented some challenges. No cable or dsl in my area so the Spring OverdriveEFB is my only choice. The challenge was to use the MJ without a dedicated computer or thin client.

This forum was helpful after reading about a bridge. Bridging an ethernet connection to wireless. Amazon lists many bridges which may work, but I always try local businesses first, in the interest of the local economy.

No bridges at WM, only the range of routers from $49 to 199. None that would operate in bridge mode. Do not attempt using an extender, the one I tried said it would operate in bridge mode on the box, not true (Netgear).

At Best(Bye) the floor (2)associates didn't even know what a bridge was. The geek squad came out to convince me what I was trying to do was not possible and suggested an option which still required a dedicated computer, ahhhhh!

My search ended at Staples with a ($69.95) Netgear wireless internet adaptor, another name for a bridge. Connected the unit with an ethernet cable for setup using a browser window, (on a Mac) to recognize the Overdrive, painless, less than five minutes. Plugged the MJ+ ethernet cable to the RJ-45 connection on the adaptor, give it a minute to login. If it does not recognize the connection try this (this is what I did):

Set up static i.p. for your MJ+ by logging into your mymagicjack internet account and uncheck the DHCP. You will be able to fill in the rest. Here's what I used I.P. 192.168.0.14 this is within the range for the MJ+ and the adaptor.
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

If the MJ+ doesn't connect, unplug from power re-plug and let it restart.

Using the AC adaptor for the MJ+ and the AC adaptor for the Netgear, you now have a low powered setup with plenty of ringing power for your phone(s). I am using a Panasonic DECT 6.0+. Wireless phones for the whole house and a lot of features including call blocking (for pesky telemarketers) and shared phonebook.

So far, so good. Hope this helps with your wireless setup.
Let me know if you have tried a regular bridge for this.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ypu can also pick up router compatible with DD-WRT and load up the firmware to make it a wireless bridge.
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ+ with Sprint wireless router - no computer, no t.c. Reply with quote

GREAT 1ST POST!!!

tommytoes2011 wrote:
Using the MJ+ with a Sprint wireless router presented some challenges. No cable or dsl in my area so the Spring OverdriveEFB is my only choice. The challenge was to use the MJ without a dedicated computer or thin client.

This forum was helpful after reading about a bridge. Bridging an ethernet connection to wireless. Amazon lists many bridges which may work, but I always try local businesses first, in the interest of the local economy.

No bridges at WM, only the range of routers from $49 to 199. None that would operate in bridge mode. Do not attempt using an extender, the one I tried said it would operate in bridge mode on the box, not true (Netgear).

At Best(Bye) the floor (2)associates didn't even know what a bridge was. The geek squad came out to convince me what I was trying to do was not possible and suggested an option which still required a dedicated computer, ahhhhh!

My search ended at Staples with a ($69.95) Netgear wireless internet adaptor, another name for a bridge. Connected the unit with an ethernet cable for setup using a browser window, (on a Mac) to recognize the Overdrive, painless, less than five minutes. Plugged the MJ+ ethernet cable to the RJ-45 connection on the adaptor, give it a minute to login. If it does not recognize the connection try this (this is what I did):

Set up static i.p. for your MJ+ by logging into your mymagicjack internet account and uncheck the DHCP. You will be able to fill in the rest. Here's what I used I.P. 192.168.0.14 this is within the range for the MJ+ and the adaptor.
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

If the MJ+ doesn't connect, unplug from power re-plug and let it restart.

Using the AC adaptor for the MJ+ and the AC adaptor for the Netgear, you now have a low powered setup with plenty of ringing power for your phone(s). I am using a Panasonic DECT 6.0+. Wireless phones for the whole house and a lot of features including call blocking (for pesky telemarketers) and shared phonebook.

So far, so good. Hope this helps with your wireless setup.
Let me know if you have tried a regular bridge for this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: