magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Do you know if I can adapt a USB wifi adapter to a HP t5520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kos99ngel
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Do you know if I can adapt a USB wifi adapter to a HP t5520 Reply with quote

Do you know if I can adapt a USB wifi adapter to a HP t5520 that is running XPe SP3?

I am talking about an adapter like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166041
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to get it to work, but not as easy as you may think.

The limiting factor is that memory is fixed at 128mb. Pagefile is enabled on the unit, but disk writes are pretty slow. The USB wireless adapter would be continuously writing to Virtual Memory, slowing down performance of mJ.

The solution is to add a second MicroDrive and offload Pagefile, Temp and Temporary Internet files to the second drive, freeing up the main drive and increasing overall performance.

It works quite well, I use this setup myself on a t5530 and I've sold this configuration to two other customers without any problems.

PM me for pricing details to modify it for you, or buy a MD on eBay and try it yourself.

After the mod, you may also want to create an image of the mail drive for restore as the original image will not work correctly after the changes. If I do the upgrade for you I will provide the new image on disc for you.

-Greg

Alpman aka acpcguy on ebay
angelscamp.pc.guy@sbcglobal.net
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Do you know if I can adapt a USB wifi adapter to a HP t5 Reply with quote

kos99ngel wrote:
Do you know if I can adapt a USB wifi adapter to a HP t5520 that is running XPe SP3?

An alternative that requires no software driver on the thin client is a Linksys wireless bridge http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/linksys-wbp54g-wireless-g-bridge-phone-adapters-reviews. The bridge plugs into the ethernet port on your TC. I've used the bridge to supply Internet to a PC instead of using a USB wifi adapter. Worked great.

You'll need to set up the bridge (it comes with a wizard application) then once set up for your wifi, from the perspective of your TC, it's like it's connected to the Internet by an ethernet cable. Note, the bridge's software only runs on XP. Another note is the bridge doesn't come with a power supply, you have to buy separately.
kos99ngel
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for ur help.............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: