magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Insufficient Flash Drive Space
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to create Juncion on DOK with WYSE 9450XE Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:
VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:
VaHam wrote:
windeguy wrote:
I have a WYSE 9450SE that I am trying to allow to use a DOK to free up space for MagicJack.

I formatted a 2 GB DOK to NTFS. I then followed the instructions and created the .bat file and ran it. The .bat file created the directory structure on the 2 GB HP DOK, but no files were installed there. Something is missing. By the way, the WYSE thin client can only format drives in FAT32, so I formatted the DOK to NTFS in a WIN7 machine.

I suspect the problem is that the Flash Drive on the WYSE may be FAT32 and the Junction program does not work to create the Junction to the DOK because of that. Any suggestions? Will the Junction program work in a FAT32 environment?

Sorry for the slow response I tend to forget to check the stickies.

Did you run the http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe?

During the course of getting MJ actually running on the WYSE, I did many things, and I am pretty certain the upgrade was one of them. MJ does run right now. Do you think I should try the upgrade again? And will that really have anything to do with having the WYSE work with the USB devices? I would hate to take a step backwards.

If it ain't broke don't fix it Smile

You siad there was nothing on the DOK so I wondered if you had run the update after making changes as I outlined?

I am quite certain I ran the update, otherwise I don't believe I would have even had the directory structure created on the DOK.

At this point I will need some help after I get some parts next month on the slow boat from China. I want to replace the 256 flash memory with a 512 MB flash memory "hard drive". How difficult will it be to get the drive image from the 256 MB drive over to the larger 512 MB drive? Thank for any help on that.

The instructions for flashing are fairly well documented in the stickies. Flash from china? What are you planning to use. I would have just ordered a Transcend module for that.

The directory structure on the DOK is created by the command line syntax or batch commands whichever you used.

Sure be glad to help in any event!

Thank you for the suggestions.

It looks like Magic Jack did an update and will no longer run on my 256 MB Flash Drive. So it looks like I need an upgrade. There is a sticky on the WYSE 9450XE that indeed says that 256MB of Flash is not enough to host the OS and MJ programs. So I looked at how to get a larger Flash Drive. The Transcend flash drive is probably the way to go, but here is what I am going to try:

What I found was a potential solution on EBAY using "bootable 40 pin IDE cards" that hold one or two Compact Flash cards. There are two versions of these cards, one for a single CF card and another that holds 2 CF cards. I ordered one of the cards that will hold 2 CF cards and a couple of 512 MB CF Flash cards. I was looking for the cheap way to get a 512 MB flash drive. (I have no idea if putting 2 of the 512 MB CF cards in the dual unit will show up as 1 GB drive, but I hope that happens.) I will not be getting this hardware until next month after I return from some travel and then I will need the resources on how to either clone the OS or install a fresh version of XPe and then install the MJ program.

Regarding using USB Flash drives to expand memory using the Junction Program, my research has shown me that the WYSE 9450XE is very picky on the flash drives and/or format options it will recognize. I don't appear to be fortunate enough to have a USB Drive large enough that will be recognized, so I cannot currently use the USB FLASH expansion method using the Juncion Program, etc, to solve my problem. That would have been the easy answer if the WYSE would cooperate.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: I am actually getting an error running the Junction command Reply with quote

While waiting for a larger flash drive, I decided to try the junction command again to see if I could get a DOK to work. The DOK is formatted to NTFS which does indeed seem to be required as the file system.

This time I ran the commands one at a time in the command line window.
When I ran the Junction Command

junction "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp" "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp"

I got an error. Here is what that command produced:

C:\>junction "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp"
"D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp"

Junction v1.06 - Windows junction creator and reparse point viewer
Copyright (C) 2000-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Error setting junction for C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application D
ata\mjusbsp:
The data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid.

Any idea what I need to do differently?
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outinaustin wrote:
Hi,

I am having trouble at the junction command.
junction "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp" "D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp"

I get an error stating
Error creating C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

I noticed that when I do the following
del "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\*.*" /S /F /Q
and then check it out, all the folder and files are still there. I must be doing something stupid, but can't figure out what. I am loged on as Administrator and that is the account where MJ is installed.

Some points of question:
1. In the orginal sticky by VaHam (Great info by the way, thanks VaHam and tonyben), I interperted You'll need to place this some where on your path so the C:\ is a good place.
to mean that it was advised to put the junction folder here C:\ (junction folder location).

2. I did not have a fully installed version of the MJ software since I tried it on a 256 flash/512 Ram setup. It never completly installed, but I stoped actions in the task manager as advised in the original sticky post.

3. I think my t5710 came off the junk pile. It works, but has had unusual problems all along the way. I have been able to overcome many by reading material here.

I think you may have your "Write Filter" on. Check down on the lower right side of your screen to see if the color of the Write Filter is Orange which means off. If it is Green, you will need to change it to Orange.

Since I also only have 256 MB of Flash as well, while trying to get a DOK working, I am getting a different error with Junction that I described in a post above. My error is The data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid.
outinaustin
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My write fileter (EWF) is disabled, but it was sure worth a try. Good idea though, thanks.

Some odd things I've noticed:

This Del line does not seem to work: del "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\*.*" /S /F /Q
As I understand the command, subfolders of mjusbsp should be emptied because of the /S extension. This is not happening, so I did it manually.
Now when I'm at the command line and use the dir command at mjusbsp, the subfolders show to be empty.
But, if I use Windows Explorer the files are still there. I tried refresh, but the two systems still show conflicting information.

I get the error The data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid when I tried to proceed after manually deleting the files that should be done by
del "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\*.*" /S /F /Q

This is unrelated, but I tried upgrading the flash by replacing the 256 with a 1 Gb laptop drive. All went well with the XPe reimage untill right at the end when I got
A problem is preventing Windows from accuratley checking the liscense for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002
After getting nowhere trying to resolve that issue I decided to try this method. I hope my thin client is not the problem (HP t5700).

Last edited by outinaustin on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outinaustin wrote:
My write fileter (EWF) is disabled, but it was sure worth a try. Good idea though, thanks.

Some odd things I've noticed:

This Del line does not seem to work: del "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\*.*" /S /F /Q
As I understand the command, subfolders of mjusbsp should be emptied because of the /S extension. This is not happening, so I did it manually.
Now when I'm at the command line and use the dir command at mjusbsp, the subfolders show to be empty.
But, if I use Windows Explorer the files are still there. I tried refresh, but the two systems still show conflicting information.

I get the error The data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid when I tried to proceed after manually deleting the files that should be done by

This is unrelated, but I tried upgrading the flash by replacing the 256 with a 1 Gb laptop drive. All went well with the XPe reimage untill right at the end when I got
A problem is preventing Windows from accuratley checking the liscense for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002
After getting nowhere trying to resolve that issue I decided to try this method. I hope my thin client is not the problem (HP t5700). Mad

You just found the same issue I did in my WYSE thin client regarding the subfolders not being deleted from mjusbsp when running

I also think the letters on the drives are reversed in the Junction command. I just tried reversing the drive letters and it is the first time the junction command just "took" without an error message. Now I have to go "upgrade" the MJ software and see if junction actuall did work properly. I should know shortly.
outinaustin
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of headway. Reversing the drive letters on the junction program command line script worked for me too (with no errors reported by the system). When I did the update the MJ files were copied to the D drive (USB flash drive). The files also show up on the C drive in the mjusbsp folder and I don't know if that is normal.

The mj is hung-up at the dialer window at the end of the installation. This is also what happened when I was trying to make things work with a 256F/512R set up.

All the MJ files do list on the D: flash drive (70mb +), but they are also on the C drive and its memory is maxed out! I tried deleting all the mjusbsp files manually from the C drive and then tried to start MJ from the D drive but got an error.
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Almost.. we are missing something. Reply with quote

outinaustin wrote:
A bit of headway. Reversing the drive letters on the junction program command line script worked for me too (with no errors reported by the system). When I did the update the MJ files were copied to the D drive (USB flash drive). The files also show up on the C drive in the mjusbsp folder and I don't know if that is normal.

The mj is hung-up at the dialer window at the end of the installation. This is also what happened when I was trying to make things work with a 256F/512R set up.

All the MJ files do list on the D: flash drive (70mb +), but they are also on the C drive and its memory is maxed out! I tried deleting all the mjusbsp files manually from the C drive and then tried to start MJ from the D drive but got an error.

We are at exactly the same point. By using the drive letters in the order originally suggested, no files get written to the USB Flash drive and the junction program reports an error message for me. Reversing the order of the drive letters when running the junction command has both the C: drive and the flash drive with files, but the local drive is full and MJ cannot full load which is where I was when I started this circular excercise. The MJ files are only supposed to be on the Flash drive and pointed to the flash drive through the empty directory on the C: drive by the "junction" command. But junction is not working. There has to be some small point we are missing. If the junction program were working we would be done... I forgot to mention, MJ actually worked just after I reversed the drive letters. Then I shut down the system and when I started it back up it would no longer fully load because of the full C: drive.

UPDATE: I just deleted the USB DRive to C: junction connection, deleted the mjsubsp folder, and ran the Junction command as origninally written and this time it ran correctly saying I have a the C: drive targeted at my USB drive. I have no idea why that did not happen before.

Next I tried to run the MJ Upate and see if the files are only on the USB drive....The files are on both the C: and my flash drive. The C: drive is full and MJ will not run, but gets stuck on the main screen and spins.
outinaustin
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windeguy I'm frustrated. We have made it about to the same point with the same type of errors, you on WYSE and me on a HP. About the farthest I've made it is to the "stuck on the main screen and spins" point.

This was also as far as I made it with the 256FLASH/512RAM set-up, so I thought I may have leftovers from the corrupted install of MJ causing trouble. I tried the MJ removal tool, and then finally just re-imaged the thin client to start from scratch.

I tried the procedure with and without MJ installed, NTFS, FAT32, attempted the "larger of the MagicJack drives method", and variations of all these. I did not always get the same errors.

Some times installing the MJ device would bring up the new device wizard, sometimes it would attempt to auto install then get stuck on the main screen and spin, sometimes the install would just quit and vanish, sometime the MJ would be listed as an optical drive in MY COMPUTER.

I've got about 30 hours into the "cheap easily available " upgrade methods, and about 20 hours into this one. I don't like to throw in the towel, but if I don't get somewhere by next weekend I'll probably just order an IDE flash drive. By then, my t5720 should be in and I can try it's 512 flash memory to see if the MJ might finally work with that. Then I can determine if I should order a flash drive for my problem child and be done with it Crying or Very sad Embarassed Mad Crying or Very sad .

Thanks,
James
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: I suspect Junction is not working properly for us Reply with quote

outinaustin, you have explored by the "scientific method" just about every possible combination of potential solutions at your disposal and so have I. I share the pain.

I suspect there is something not quite right with the Junction command on our hardware. Junction should just point at the USB Flash drive, install the files there, and not also fill up the C: drive as it is for both of us. It was very odd that I actually got MJ to work once until I rebooted the system.

Unless I can think of something else, I will wait for my Flash drive upgrade that consists of a 40 pin IDE Flash drive card that can hold two Compact Flash cards. I have that 40 pin IDE flash drive and two 512 MB Compact Flash cards on the way from suppliers in China, and then I will be on travel until the first week of next month. So I probably won't be able to try the experiment until then. Total cost is $20 for the Bootable IDE flash drive and the two CF flash memories. I should have a 1 GB Flash drive at that time if the Wyse will recognize all of the memory. If not, 512 MB of flash should be enough for MJ, but not enough for another program I want the WYSE to run as well.

One thing that could be useful at that time is knowing what you did to re-image the flash drive. I will have to put a valid XPe image on my new flash drive as well. I have the ability to use Linux or Windows software.
outinaustin
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey windeguy,

One other mention related to this subject. I experimented with removing parts of XPe that were non-essential, at least to my application. Things I removed were: extra fonts styles, bracket styles, programs related to the Media player, diskcopy, magnifier, etc.

I went into the system32, ordered things according to size, and googled each file to gauge its significance starting with the largest ones. If you try this, remember you do so at your own risk! I figured if I screw things up really good, I can just re-image the operating system. All in all I cleared about 15 Mb of space and still had a working system.

Files I was going to delete, I put in a folder that used the same file paths as located on the C drive so I could keep track of what I had done and where. In the end I saved this folder to a flash drive and then deleted it off the thin client.

Even after all this trouble I never could get MJ to install properly on my 256FLASH/512RAM set-up, even with a maxed RAM drive. It always filled the flash memory and never completed installation. Maybe I deleted something that I needed. I admit defeat and humbly await my Transcend flash upgrade.

Even though this did not work as hoped, if a little more space is needed for some reason, this approach may provide what is needed.
windeguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outinaustin, I am on travel right now, back on the 9th of October and will also hope to try to get things working using a larger flash drive.

I applaud the effort of trying to reduce the size of the OS to minimum, too bad it didn't quite get small enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: