magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Obsolete: outbound Caller ID blocking and spoofing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogfish
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote

Wow. Stewart and MagicHack, you guys are awesome. Your little doohicky works great. Keep up the good work.
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

cosmicsurfer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot to Stewart and Magicjack for this, I just installed it and it works great. You guys are truly the best. Very Happy
jeffnyc
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. Thanks again Stewart and MH. This is amazing. Using with ata and works great!

Now I dont care as much about the portal being forever postponed.

Im not using it this way but spoofing with your Grandcentral number is now a true workaround to a local area code. Outgoing calls from MJ will appear as originating from your GC # and incoming calls will ring on your MJ.
EagleBoy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Thanks for this! Reply with quote

Just another BIG thank you for this small hack. I only use my MJ for outbound calls. So now, I can display the CallerID of my work phone if I'm working at home that day .. or can display my cell phone number when calling friends (since they won't answer the phone if they don't recognize the callerID).

What a great tool! Thanks! Very Happy
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great work on this. love seeing my local # showing up. question is, if someone had the skills and knowhow would it be possible to run straight from an ATA? Or if not possible that way, maybe a script running on a DD-WRT router?
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will this tool work with other providers or just mj?

if yes, is it possible to have 2 instances running at same time against a non 5060 port?
MagicHack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
will this tool work with other providers or just mj?

Perhaps.. (though, If I were to bet, I'd say not likely - as they probably use a port other than 5070(out) and 5060(in)...) What provider did you want to use it with?

jeffnyc wrote:
if yes, is it possible to have 2 instances running at same time against a non 5060 port?

I don't believe that would work. Remember that this code listens on port 5070. It simply forwards outgoing requests to the magicjack server on port 5070 (and spoofs the phone number), and forwards incoming requests to the magicjack running on port 5060.

With that said, it would probably be possible to make this work with other VoIP's - you'd need to do a network capture, and look at the actual data. Then you'll need to modify the code - incoming/outgoing ports, and possibly replace some of the extra data in the SIP REGISTER packet depending on your situation/configuration... Keep trying until your 'spoofed' packets look identical to your original packets...
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried spoofing with two other carriers:

Vitelity: Outbound service is not associated with a number, even if billed to an account that has one or more incoming DIDs. If you are using an IP phone or ATA, you specify the desired outbound caller ID via the web portal, so no need to spoof. If you are using e.g. Asterisk, you can send any caller ID. However, if you send a toll-free number, one of their upstream carriers has a bug that ends up sending the 800 (or 888, etc.) as a country code, so you are in practice limited to geographic NPAs.

SunRocket/Teleblend: Spoofing works, but the call is rejected unless the spoofed number is associated with the calling account, so it's only useful for sending a signature number.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo619 wrote:
if someone had the skills and knowhow would it be possible to run straight from an ATA? Or if not possible that way, maybe a script running on a DD-WRT router?
AFAIK, there are no open source ATAs, so you would need to do a little reverse engineering. The biggest problem would probably be figuring out how to build a valid firmware image. The SPA / PAP devices have an integrity check that I don't understand. If it's a true signature, it may be very difficult to forge. Devices such as AC-211 or Innomedia would be much easier in that regard (though IMO they are crappy ATAs). Of course, if you mess up, you may end up with a brick.

Putting it in a router seems much simpler -- there are many open source router firmwares available. Just take one with a SIP ALG and modify the code to add the required headers.
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:

Vitelity: Outbound service is not associated with a number, even if billed to an account that has one or more incoming DIDs. If you are using an IP phone or ATA, you specify the desired outbound caller ID via the web portal, so no need to spoof. If you are using e.g. Asterisk, you can send any caller ID. However, if you send a toll-free number, one of their upstream carriers has a bug that ends up sending the 800 (or 888, etc.) as a country code, so you are in practice limited to geographic NPAs.

SunRocket/Teleblend: Spoofing works, but the call is rejected unless the spoofed number is associated with the calling account, so it's only useful for sending a signature number.

I was thinking Voicestick or Onesuite. I would be more interested in seeing anonymous incoming caller ids than spoofing the outgoing callerid for those services,
MagicHack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
Stewart wrote:

I was thinking Voicestick or Onesuite. I would be more interested in seeing anonymous incoming caller ids than spoofing the outgoing callerid for those services,

Do a network capture while receiving an anonymous call for your provider, and see if you see the 'anonymous' phone number in one of the packets.

If you do see the callers phone number in one of the incoming packets, then it is certainly possible (though, some code changes might be required)...
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
I know nothing about those services, but if they have a bug that leaks anonymous caller IDs, IMO they will fix it quickly, once the word gets out. If you really want to know who's calling, get a toll free number. For example, Vitelity charges only $0.019/minute + $0.50/month, and there is no need to hack anything, because the law says that if you are paying for the call you have a right to know who is calling. (If blocking was requested by the caller, there are legal limitations on what business use you can make of his number.)
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:

Putting it in a router seems much simpler -- there are many open source router firmwares available. Just take one with a SIP ALG and modify the code to add the required headers.

must be nice knowing what you are talking about Smile I'm in the market for a WRT54G. I guess I should start researching what the hell a ALG is. Also when you say modify code do you mean just input numbers hehe
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicHack wrote:
jeffnyc wrote:
Stewart wrote:

Do a network capture while receiving an anonymous call for your provider, and see if you see the 'anonymous' phone number in one of the packets.

If you do see the callers phone number in one of the incoming packets, then it is certainly possible (though, some code changes might be required)...

Can I use fiddler for this (network capture)?
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffnyc wrote:
Can I use fiddler for this (network capture)?
No, Fiddler only works for HTTP and HTTPS (and FTP under some conditions). However, Wireshark is pretty easy to use. The problem, regardless of what capture tool you use, is getting the tool to see the packets. If your other provider's connection is via an ATA or IP phone, you need a dumb hub, managed switch, or bridging through your PC to get the packets to the capture tool. If supported by the provider, using a softphone for your test incoming call would be simplest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 3 of 31

Jump to: