magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using MJ with Brinks/Broadview Security systems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luclin999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Using MJ with Brinks/Broadview Security systems? Reply with quote

Looking at dropping my Land Line for MJ but realized that we would still need a way for the security system to call into the home office for monitoring.

Have people had much luck using MJ with a monitored security system?
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Using MJ with Brinks/Broadview Security systems? Reply with quote

luclin999 wrote:
Looking at dropping my Land Line for MJ but realized that we would still need a way for the security system to call into the home office for monitoring.

Call the tech support folks at your security company til you get someone who can tell you what to do. Don't mention MJ, just say you have Vonage...

Good luck

Crackerjack
luclin999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that and unfortunately their answer to any VOIP conversion for me is to charge me $300 to install a cell based unit in the alarm box and an additional $10 a month fee for using it.

That is why I am trying to see if there is a way to make the MJ system work with the alarm instead.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luclin999 wrote:
I did that and unfortunately their answer to any VOIP conversion for me is to charge me $300 to install a cell based unit in the alarm box and an additional $10 a month fee for using it.

That is why I am trying to see if there is a way to make the MJ system work with the alarm instead.

I am sure you will find some suggestions apropos your alarm company. Take a look at http://www.vonage-forum.com/forum9.html. Most solutions described here translate well to MJ.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really want to trust your family's safety to magicjack?
luclin999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maine-iac wrote:
You really want to trust your family's safety to magicjack?

A monitored alarm provides very little in the way of "safety" beyond the actual siren alarm itself (which is what is really going to scare off an intruder). Frankly, all having the system monitored does is add a 20% credit to my Home owner's insurance.

What I don't want is to continue to be gouged by the phone company to the tune of $40 a month for a landline service which has absolutely no extras built into the account and is used for maybe two hours worth of calls total per month.

$40 a month is what I am charged after taxes and service fees for the lowest price that AT&T will give me for a landline.

That is for a basic account which just includes local calling and nothing else. No Caller ID, No 3-way calling, No call forwarding or waiting, No Long Distance.. etc.

Just basic local service. Which IMO is frankly ridiculous.
CaBooSe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just advise alarm company of your new Tel #... (magicjack) or if transfering original number to magicjack , just replace phone line with magicjackline...... Alarm panel includes dialout number so nothing really changed except for your phoneline and maybe your tel # ...... Shouldn't be a problem as far as i see.... logically.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaBooSe wrote:
Just advise alarm company of your new Tel #... (magicjack) or if transfering original number to magicjack , just replace phone line with magicjackline...... Alarm panel includes dialout number so nothing really changed except for your phoneline and maybe your tel # ...... Shouldn't be a problem as far as i see.... logically.

I think you missed the subtext: VOIP has problems digitizing an analog representation of a digital signal, and successfully conveying an intended circuit switched line via a packet switched network. Or something like that.
Llamaman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luclin999 wrote:

Brinks gave me a similar offer when I was looking for to replace my Monitronics system.

Connecting to the MJ might be problematic. Evidently, the phone wiring isn't as straight forward as it seems at first. I was trying to set my alarm up to call me and it wasn't working. I asked about connecting a similar device and an alarm tech gave me some ideas as to what the problem was...

http://forum.nettalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=3245#p3245

Also, Brinks/Broadview is quite expensive. If I were to have mine monitored again, I'd consider Smarthome at about $9.00 a month and a $35.00 setup fee.

http://www.smarthome.com/alarm.html?int_cid=rp0-0004

Unless your current contract has been auto renewed. If so, you might be stuck with them for another 3 years.
mphixson
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if at&t has 'measured local service'. I have this from Verizon. it's 17.53 a month (including all those taxes), and they charge you for any outgoing calls, (it's like 1 cent a call). We don't make any outgoing calls on that line, (other than alarm) but keep an answering machine on it, and occasionally use it for a fax.
it's not the best solution, but it's half the price you are paying now.
although it was nice to have a land line when the power went out for a week in the ice storm..
aevans0001
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I was just passing through to see If i could find out how to get my system working.

I am an alarm tech and as others have suggested hooking VOIP into an alarm system really is not a reliable option. If you do I would suggest hooking your computer and router to a backup battery, or better yet get a NEttalk or comparable phone line and then you would only have to use the backup battery for the router and Netalk adapter.. Very minimal electricity usage.

There is also the problem of alarm communications which is not 100% as the digital line does cause some issues. The other problem is that some systems just will not dial right with VOIP.. For instance a GE Allegro does not operate correctly with AT&T Uverse (VOIP) phone service.

With all that said I have gotten my alarm fixed to my netTalk phone line. I simply changed the communicator format (For the Techs out there) from Contact ID to SIA. I then tested my alarm and all signals went through 100% *this time*.....

So in closing....

If you go to the link posted above there is a website to get your installation guide for your alarm... There are also places on the internet that may tell you the installation code for your alarm for instance ADT is sometimes 6321....
Everton
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aevans0001 wrote:

I simply changed the communicator format (For the Techs out there) from Contact ID to SIA. I then tested my alarm and all signals went through 100% *this time*.....

When you say SIA format, what format is this and can you provide a link that explain this in more details. I have a VISTA 20p panel and would like to monitor it via VOIP or directly through some type of IP monitoring, without going through a VOIP provider. The few IP monitoring solution I have seen requires going through a third party, that then forward the signal to the central station. Is their any central station/monitoring company that have IP monitoring directly?

I do have a PAP2T-NA ATA that can be used for such a purpose.
francois
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Using MJ with Brinks/Broadview Security systems? Reply with quote

luclin999 wrote:

try alarmforce.com i use them with a cell back up it is cheap check out the website
Everton
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Using MJ with Brinks/Broadview Security systems? Reply with quote

francois wrote:
luclin999 wrote:

try alarmforce.com i use them with a cell back up it is cheap check out the website

I don't think $25/month is cheap. Alarm Relay is only $8.95 per month, paid one year in advance. No contract, etc.! Cellular monitoring is about $10 - $15 additional!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: