magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks
magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Try this fix for lousy call quality
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumbles@aol.com
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Try this fix for lousy call quality Reply with quote

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to solve the often mentioned choppy call quality which many people experience. I finally found a fix that appears to work and not sure if it's been mentioned already in the many posts on this forum.

Try disabling the power management feature in each of the USB root hubs on your computer. For Windows XP go into the device manager for hardware and find the USB controller and hit the + sign to expand the listing. Under each USB root hub right click and pull up properties...Find the power management option and uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Again make sure you do this for each of the USB root hubs listed. I've had a friend try this as well who was using an externally A/C powered USB device and he found he now no longer need that. Hope this helps!
Google
AdSense

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Magicjack support, tips, tricks, and hacks

Melman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this advice and I just also unchecked the power management under each USB device listed in Device Manager. My magicJack works excellent, but I am here always learning to see if I can get the most out of my computer using MJ.

Melman
lida
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it and no difference other then laptop battery runs down faster now?
Magicjackernc
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into the computer to do the fix thru the Device Manager....

mine are already unchecked.

If you come up with something else- please post it. These fading calls are annoying and making me wonder about buying another years worth.
bumbles@aol.com
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....after a few days of the power management change, calls have improved but are still not consistent enough for me. I noticed using the testvoip website that I can range between 3.2 and 4.5 depending on the time of day and what software I have running. Am now considering looking at the Hawking Broadband booster. I don't have a separate router...just a cable modem where the router is integrated. I believe I can purchase a network switch box and basically run network cables from the computer...to the switch box....to the Broadband booster...and finally to the cable modem.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumbles@aol.com wrote:
Ok....after a few days of the power management change, calls have improved but are still not consistent enough for me. I noticed using the testvoip website that I can range between 3.2 and 4.5 depending on the time of day and what software I have running. Am now considering looking at the Hawking Broadband booster. I don't have a separate router...just a cable modem where the router is integrated. I believe I can purchase a network switch box and basically run network cables from the computer...to the switch box....to the Broadband booster...and finally to the cable modem.

If you see performance effected by other programs running you may want to elevate magicJack.exe priority in task manager to "Above Normal" or higher. Above Normal would give it priority over most other tasks while leaving OS related processes higher priority.

If that makes a difference for you check out the Prio utility which can make the priority setting permanent and adds some other nice features too. It is free for personal use.
bumbles@aol.com
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you see performance effected by other programs running you may want to elevate magicJack.exe priority in task manager to "Above Normal" or higher. Above Normal would give it priority over most other tasks while leaving OS related processes higher priority.

If that makes a difference for you check out the Prio utility which can make the priority setting permanent and adds some other nice features too. It is free for personal use.

Yes I already set the magicjack.exe to high and still don't have the consistent quality. I have one of those Hawking devices in transit and will report back once installed. Thanks.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumbles@aol.com wrote:
Yes I already set the magicjack.exe to high and still don't have the consistent quality. I have one of those Hawking devices in transit and will report back once installed.

While you wait for the Hawking Broadband Booster, you might try changing your proxy (as described on the wiki FAQ). It seems like some MJ proxy/vms servers are oversold. Or, some people have bad network routes to them.

You might want to get a handle on that before trying the Hawking device. Just as a baseline.

Mark
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Hawking HBB1 for 2 years and my MJ audio in the last few months has gotten real bad and I'm pissed. The Hawking made a big difference for a long time but not now. This company must be overselling MJ and clogging the pipe. I have one of the original MJ devices and I may go get a new one. Does anyone have a new model and how good is it working for you? I have anti echo software running but still get some-this is really starting to suck having people avoid my calls because of lousy reception.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
Does anyone have a new model and how good is it working for you?

I have Gen 2. It works fine with MJ local (to my physical location) proxy server. I have a Gen 3 with a distant area code. I noticed choppiness with that. I don't know if it was the proxy/vms servers in that location, or the network hops from here to there. I never tried to force that MJ to use my local proxy/vms servers because I don't really use that MJ. I just set it up and have it forward calls to my primary MJ.

You might try changing your proxy (as described on the wiki FAQ).

You might also try emailing Dan and Richard (the support manager) telling them you feel it's a significant gap that MJ customers can't buy a new USB device without also paying for a year's service (which they may not need after purchasing 5 years). I think that's a significant shortcoming. You can't have a backup device, or upgrade to newer technology without buying a year you don't need.

Mark
saxman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AZ-I contacted the tech support and they said I just had to contact them when I got a new one so they can turn it on using my current number. She said nothing about paying for another year of service! I'm paid up now and unless this thing clears up I won't pay for another. I've been using MJ for nearly 2 years now as a primary phone but lately it's sounding so bad I hate using it. So, if I go to Radio Shack I'm looking at paying for another year to get it running? And will the new one sound any better? She never answered that question for me.
bumbles@aol.com
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK latest update on call quality solutions... just found out that people who are not on a home network and have a cable modem CAN'T use the Hawking Broad Band Booster without putting a router in between. I have Cox Cable out of Connecticut and they indicated that the cable modems they provide are NOT a modem/router combination...they don't sell those. So without purchasing a router you can't benefit from the Booster.

Now another tip I have implemented in the interim is switching to Mozilla Firefox from Internet Explorer. This will definitely cause a reduction in the amount of system resources being utilized which in turn can affect Magic Jack performance.

My call quality over the past two weeks has SIGNIFICANTLY improved...callers can't tell whether I'm on the land line or the Magic Jack. I suspect some of the improvement is from changes I made but the bulk of it is something MagicJack is doing on their end. Now my only bitch is the occasional drop off of the call in midstream...and it's not because I've exceeded my time limit. Can't pin down yet why it's happening.....
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumbles. How does the Hawking setup page show how to install it? With mine, because I do have a modum, router combo, I had to add a switch. Another 20 bucks but it was worth it. I noticed the quality improve immediatley.
bumbles@aol.com
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxman wrote:
Bumbles. How does the Hawking setup page show how to install it? With mine, because I do have a modum, router combo, I had to add a switch. Another 20 bucks but it was worth it. I noticed the quality improve immediatley.

I was anticipating doing exactly what you did, but my modem is not a combo. So I'd have to add a router instead of a switch and then it will work. I'm holding off on the router for now especially since the call quality has NEVER been better lately...you wonder how many of these "fixes" are actually fixes or do they happen to coincide with whatever the hell magicjack is doing on their end.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumbles@aol.com wrote:
I'm holding off on the router for now

If you get a router, you might as well get a Linksys WRT54GL and flash it to Tomato firmware. Tomato is relatively easy (compared to DD-WRT). But, not as easy as plugging in a Hawking BB.

Personally, it doesn't sound right to me that you can't put the Hawking between your computer and modem. There should be nothing different about that and putting it between a router and modem.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: