magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Port NOW Completed Had Initial Problems Porting To MJP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctbear
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
What�s the big deal over $9.95 a year extra?

As you mention, in the overall cost of the product, it's not a big deal and they are obviously free to charge whatever they want.

It's more the principal of the thing, since there are no additional costs to them to keep your number active after they have ported it. It "seems" that they are taking advantage of those that want to keep their old numbers, since their major competitors don't offer it, yet.

My opinion is that they can get away with it until NetTalk gets their porting act together. After that, if the cost of the Duo and Plus are about the same, and the call quality is about the same, and it's impossible to deny that the customer service isn't the same, if you're a new customer and want to port, why in the world would someone pick the Plus? Just seems like a bad business decision.

If it was me, I would either make the billing of the annual port fee impossible and see what happens, or port it to GoogleVoice (if it's a cell number) and forward my calls to the MJ.

Well said. It's not about the money. I have a strong principal against companies that conduct their business in such ways...
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting on news of the first land line port, that is 100% successful.

Any confirmed reports would be helpful, Thank You !!
AllenChicago
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

First post. I'm a potential MagicJack customer. While paying the bills today my wife showed me the charges for our land-line. It's INSANE all the taxes and fees that are added. Our unlimited $38.95 Local/LD monthly service through ACN is ballooned to a whopping $61.95 with all the crap that the crooked Federal / State / Local municipalities have added on! I had no idea... Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, we're hoping that the final verdict on MagicJack Plus is a good one. Particularly the porting of the phone number. That's very important to the wife and will determine if we go with MagicJack.

If the in-house cell phone reception were better, I'd plead with her to get rid of the land line all-together, since we have the unlimited Sprint voice/date plan.

But there's NO WAY we're going to continue to put up with OUR government's 60% tax and fee markup on the land-line..NO WAY! I'll be watching this thread in hopeful anticipation of a good outcome. Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their experience with phone number porting to MagicJack.

Allen in Chicago
Altair IV
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876 & AllenChicago,

Port completed 09/26/11 and took FIVE DAYS. MagicJack Plus WORKS GREAT!!

Good luck,

Saving a lot of $$$$$$
New York
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic day to be a MagicJack customer, Land line porting works and the Apple MJ app works great ! Very Happy
Shred
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altair IV wrote:
Matt9876 & AllenChicago,

Port completed 09/26/11 and took FIVE DAYS. MagicJack Plus WORKS GREAT!!

Good luck,

Saving a lot of $$$$$$
New York

Can you see the $9.99 annual charge anywhere on your account? Or did it say it when you signed up? You know they will charge it anyway. and if you don't pay or if your card is not active they will turn your account off and then charge a fee to re-open it.

NetTalk duo will get a new customer(ME) if they offer porting soon. Tired of mj lack of ethics/good business sense. Pathetic...
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started land line port on new in the package MJ+.

Will let you all know when it is done. Smile
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sucessful Land line port to MJ+ from AT&T, took five days. Very Happy
ronny_b
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Voip Porting Reply with quote

Everything I have read so far about porting refers to the porting of landlines to MJ+. Well, I don't have a landline, so I tried a little experiment. I applied to port in my ViaTalk number *Voip).

MJ took my money and assigned the VT number as my caller ID (with name!) to my MJ+. Will post again if and when it goes through.

Ron
ronny_b
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Voip Number Porting Reply with quote

Well, the experiment was a success. Non-landline (Voip number) from ViaTalk completed port today! Took about 5 days, including weekend. Fastest port I have ever had!.

Ron
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: waiting for port. "Transfer Your Phone" is False A Reply with quote

Ok, well, Im not an employee for MagicJack. I bought my first MagicJack about 2 years ago and once everything was dialed in its been working great. So I bought the new MJ Plus and one of the main reasons was they advertised I can use my existing phone number. Right now I have already chatted with the online support..after waiting a couple days before one showed up. And they informed me about the 10 days required to port my existing phone number over. So, Im giving them the benefit of the doubt right now...Im at day 5 at im still getting the same message "We're sorry, your telephone number cannot be transferred at this time. Please check back in the future." Ok well, its been 10 days and still nothing... Chatted with MJ support and they dont know when I will have my phone number successfully ported. I suggested that they shouldnt advertise the can transfer phone numbers over, when they really cant yet...That would be against the law. To be continued....
mkretired
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plugged in my mj+ on dec.8th (cheap dlink router) used it for a few days and when everything was working fine i requested to port my old phone number from Vonage. took 5 days and everything is working great. phone quality as good as vonage, voicemail working, also answering machine no problems. very painless switch from $30 a month to $30 a year.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkretired wrote:
Very painless switch from $30 a month to $30 a year.

Exactly what I did in 2008 but it was just $20 a year back then.

Very Happy
dsiles
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: What info was needed for port? Reply with quote

All,

I have received my MJ+ as well. I tried to do a number port from AT&T Illinois to MJ. I was only asked for my phone number, a page asking that I agree to terms and services / MJ acts as my agent, etc, and then on to the payment screen for the $19.95.

I was surprised it didn't require any account info for verification with AT&T. Then two days later I logged in to my.magicjack and noticed the port was cancelled.

I did a support chat, don't laugh to hard Smile, and was told that if it said cancellled I needed to call AT&T to find out why they cancelled it. I did call AT&T just to play along and AT&T said they never received anything about a port request.

I guess it was just lost in translation, but before I go through and attempt to do a port again, want to here what people provided when they did their successful port.

I primarily use my cell, but my wife wants to keep our old phone number while I want to fire AT&T in the worst way. If MJ+ porting doesn't work, I might go do the landline to mobile number port and then just bounce it over to a Google Voice number, but would prefer that MJ+ porting work.

Thanks for the feedback and advice in advance.
SailorDave
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: What info was needed for port? Reply with quote

I successfully ported my service with Brighthouse to the MJ+ with no problems at all. Took just over a week. Quality while not spectacular is OK most of the time. VM worked as advertised. Works with my home answering machine set for 3 rings. Other telco providers may yield different results!
viajerista
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Port # from Verizon Reply with quote

Altair: First, congratulations, and thanks for this thread. I'm in the same situation you were earlier: MJP says my current Verizon land is not portable at this time. What, if anything, did you do differently between your first post, when you got that "unavailable for porting" message from MJ, and the next time you entered YOUR SUBSCRIPTION and MJ "magically" accepted your order? I'm still getting the "not available" message each time I try. Thanks again.
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Still waiting for port Reply with quote

Well, Im still waiting with no results. I even called Verizon my land line Co. And they informed me" They have nothing to do with porting over my phone number to MagicJack, and I needed to contact them ( MJ)" . So im thoughly disgusted with MagicJack and the FALSE ADVERTISEMENT MagicJack is still putting out to the public. And from what Im reading some Voip phones are trying to being switched. Someone suggested there are problems between MagicJack and Phone Companys releasing phone numbers to MagicJack customers?? I just need to know if MagicJack is Possibly having these issues with the phone Company, why they wouldn't inform me...the customer ??. If this is actually the case,. then I will cancel my land line right now and save money that I dont have. Always sounds a little dishonest to me. OK just called Verizon again and told them I wanted to stop my service and port my phone number to MagicJack , and after and hour of sales pitches and cut rate offers including cash, she finally tells me at the end..Verizon doesn't do anything.. MagicJack does that service by themselves. OK, so I was just verifying the verification. IF MAGIC JACK DOES NOT PORT YOUR PHONE NUMBER IT IS BECAUSE THEY CANT AND THEY ARE FALSE ADVERTISING.
viajerista
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Still waiting . . . Reply with quote

I had an entirely unsuccessful "live chat" with MJ customer service yesterday about this issue. The clerk clearly had no information about this issue other than what you find online, i.e., the service is "down" or it's still in beta mode, or some other nonsensical excuse. I pointed out that the advertising is misleading and MagicJack should change their promotion. The "expert" on the other end assured me that the ads were correct, that I could, indeed, transfer my number, just not right now. No word on when the service will be fixed, or up and running, or whatever excuse they're using that day. It was clear to me that the customer service person didn't actually work for MJ and was unfamiliar with the whole thing.
LivinLarge
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im glad this forum is here so we can all get on the same page, and hear whats really happening behind the scenes. And the don't say on the commercials ...." This Is MagicJack Beta" No they don't say that so...I didn't buy a beta. I wouldn't have never purchase a F###kin Beta . I foresee a lot of FCC and BBB grief for MagicJack thats for sure.

OK UPDATE: AS OF 3/27/2012 THE PORT FINALLY WENT THROUGH TODAY!
Its taken waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer plenty of grief chatting with "Techs" at MJ and "Techs" at the Phone company. Which was ultimately a waste of time. Dont waste your time doing that, if MagicJack can do it they will , and dont call your phone company they have no control of anything . I noticed My MagicJack sight has changed quite a bit, alot more organized looking and for some odd reason with the new look at this sight my Port Transfer went through immediately this last try. They notified me Friday and Transfer was successfully through Tuesday AM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: