magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll - Did you use the 100K mod to fix your caller-ID issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does snafu2's 100K Resistor caller-ID fix work for your MagicJack device?
1. Yes, it works!
100%
 100%  [ 9 ]
2. No, it didn't help!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

DrStrange
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My caller ID worked before the 12/17 upgrade [after which it stopped], so I used a 220k resistor, just to be cautious and so as to minimize any possible effect on audio quality. The resistor mod restored caller ID function.
mcole44
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resistor mod worked great for me until the upgrade. I will try the 220k fix. Hopefully that will work.
mcole44
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried the 220k fix. Still doesn't work. Worked fine before the upgrade, but doesn't work now. Anyone else having trouble with the update?
DrStrange
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I didn't explain clearly the first time:

My caller ID was working without the resistor mod before the 12/17 update. Since the original post about the resistor mod mentioned trying several different values of resistance, I used a higher resistance [in order to preserve audio quality; back in my 2-way radio days, putting a resistor across the transmitter audio line could get rid of feedback noises, etc, but it would make the audio tinny].

If your caller ID was working before 12/17 but not after, you'd theoretically need a lower value resistor. I think I'll leave it up to the person who invented the modification to suggest what value to use, unless you have a lot of junk resistors lying around and you want to try incrementing downward [use 92K, then 85K, etc.].

Last edited by DrStrange on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
JigoLigo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CID works well with my cheap GE phone without any 100k modification.
mthrun
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked for me!!!
PennWritre
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: YES!!! Reply with quote

Very Happy Yes, this also worked for me.
A simple solution, rather than solder the resistor in between the wires was to install the resistor between the screw terminals inside the wall jack. I am using line 2 so I used Yellow and Black, as opposed to red and green for line 1.
severly
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This worked for me also. Not a bad solution for 99 cents, and I have 4 extra resistors Very Happy
gwguruman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked for me also.
mdima
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see CID on my phones, but only the incoming number, not the name. Will resistor fix help here?
smalcom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll - Did you use the 100K mod to fix your caller-ID is Reply with quote

LikeMagic wrote:
If you had problem with caller-ID not showing up on your phone and you used snafu2's 100K resistor fix, does the fix work?

The 100K resistor Caller-ID fix provided by snafu2 is discussed here:
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/inbound-cid-possible-fix-t108.html

Worked for me on my Uniden TRU9466 2-line phone.
slycat63
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: It Works!! Reply with quote

Caller ID works w/ 100k resistor
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a new MJ the other day from Radio Shack. Sometime my CID works and other times it doesn't work. Would this mod fix the issue? wiki said that this fix doesnt work anymore:

Quote:
Note: The 12/17/2008 upgrade seemed to cause this fix to stop working for some people. It was later reported that experimenting with different resisters helped, and one person reported a 220k-ohm resister worked. Also one report that the USB device's case may contribute to this problem, and that wrapping electrical tape around the device's case helped.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/FAQ#Why_doesn.27t_my_handset_display_caller_ID.3F

Any suggestions?
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this:

>Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Scroll to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and expand>Right click on each USB Root Hub and select Properties>Select Power Management tab>Make sure the to uncheck the box next to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

And it didn't work right away. So I swapped out the 6ft phone cord (cord that goes from phone to MagicJack) with a heavier, higher quality and it worked. Of course I'll need to give it a few days to see if it actually fixed it.

EDIT: Nevermind, didnt fix it
str8shooter
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold about 40 100k "do-dad's" and have had only one complaint.
Gear-Monkey
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

str8shooter wrote:
I have sold about 40 100k "do-dad's" and have had only one complaint.

I made a do-dad thing (100k resistor) today and it seems to be working fine now.
dhart94
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Resistor Reply with quote

This 100K resistor worked great for me. Thanks for the info, saved me
lots of trouble. I was getting prepared to rewire the phone cables in the house.
Laughing
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By popular demand, I've just listed the solderless Y-adapter version of this fix on ebay . I'm calling it the CIDJak Mini. Priced at under $7 plus actual shipping, it's a bargain. Check it out HERE. I'm not trying to make a killing on this product, just recoup some costs and cover a little of my time while providing a solution for some of you that don't have the means to build this handy little device themselves.
V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: 100k ohm Magic fix Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my Thank You's to snafu2 for coming up with the 100k ohm resistor Caller ID display fix. Idea I suspected inner wiring capacitance was the issue but due to lack of experiment time, I just went out and bought a cordless base that supports multiple phones. I tried your fix just now and TA-DA! Now my whole house is supported INCLUDING the DirecTV receiver's Caller ID display. The magicJack Tech Support (I use the term "support" extremely loosely) told me specifically that it would never, quote "NEVER" work on my satellite receiver. I'm tempted to go rub it in their faces but my jabs would fall on deaf ears, I'm sure. I mean, they MUST be deaf, right? Snafu2 came up with this fix over two years ago and they're still telling their customers the same old incorrect BS?

At any rate, Snafu2, You are Truly Da MAN! Very Happy

Gonna go download the PCPhoneSoft software now. Hope my luck holds.

Later MJ fans.
mgvet
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: CID Fix Reply with quote

Thank you snafu2 for coming up with the 100k ohm resistor CID fix. It worked great. Wink
shardman1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine with my Uniden also.
tahwos
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Still works! Reply with quote

I know this an old poll, but this fix still works. Just did it with a $15 vTech from Wal-Mart, and a MagicJack that I bought in February 2010. Crimped the resistor into an RJ11 connector and plugged it into a line splitter. It also worked plugging it into an empty phone jack, in the same room.

EDIT: For the sake of not bumping an old thread - my caller ID has never worked at any stage of upgrade, until today, when I added the resistor. I am currently on MagicJack 2.0.1, USB 2.0, directly into the back of my tower.

Last edited by tahwos on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
shardman1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: I don't need it anymore... Reply with quote

Since the last upgrade, I no longer need the fix to get caller ID to come through. I am running two MJ and noticed that the caller ID started working on the one that I did not have the resistor on, so I took it off the other one too. Works just fine. Thanks MJ!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: