magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

outgoing calls do not work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: outgoing calls do not work Reply with quote

(I will be editing this first post in the thread as it progresses)
here is a list of what I have tried so far.
Quote:

HARDWARE
1) tried using two different telephones.
2) tried using two different magicjacks.
3) tried using my microphone and desktop speakers.
4) no router, no firewall on modem, no hardware firewall.
5) hi-speed cable approximately 8 mbps download and 1 mbps upload.
6) tried all four usb ports (two in front and two in back)

SOFTWARE
1) Windows media player cannot be updated from version 10
2) Divx codec installed
3) completely removed and reinstalled/updated magicjack

SETTINGS
1) system restore unable to restore from before the crash.
2) windows firewall disabled
3) zonealarm firewall disabled
4) ports 5060 and 5070 open
5) no antivirus or p2p software running
6) set magicjack process priority to "high"

it took me a while to make my last post and i will have to update this list later I spent too much time on magicjack today.

My computer crashed on april 6th, after watching a video on my browser. The computer still crashes (freezes some times but most times it restarts) very frequently when watching videos on my browser. I am using the latest version of firefox.

magicjack was installed and working fine prior to this event.

after my computer crashed and rebooted on april 6th, I tried logging in. explorer (windows itself) never loaded after several attempts.

I went into safe mode and ran msconfig.
I disabled all startup programs.
I disabled all non microsoft services.
I rebooted the computer and after logging in, explorer loaded.

Magicjack is not working correctly now. Incoming calls work fine. When i place an outgoing call, you can hear the dial tone and the key tones when you press the keys, but you cannot hear a ring tone and the person who receives your call can not hear you and you can not hear them.

When i place a call to my banks automated telephone system, I do not hear the ring tone when calling, but I am able to hear the automated system and reply with the keypad.

(excerpt from magicjack official chat support)

Quote:

Todd: I contacted you two weeks ago and spent 4 hours with an agent. I ran out of time and the next day I spent another 4 hours. The issue was not resolved and forwarded to your technical department. After a week I contacted you again and spent another 4 hours with an agent. A follow up report was sent to the technical department. It has been a week since then and I have not been contacted once. I have spent 2 hours with agents today. I have spent 14 hours of my time and have waited two weeks now and my issue is still not resolved. It is unacceptable for me to wait without an update sent to my email. you have had two weeks to resolve this issue, but not only is it not resolved, but you have not sent me any response at all. I am just expected to wait while my service does not work. Perhaps the unit is faulty? If the issue is not software related and it is unable to be resolved at this time, then I would appreciate a replacement magicjack. Is there a higher level of support, a supervising manager, or a direct means of contact with the technical department? I keep having to take steps with agents that disconnect me from chat and each new agent I talk with wants me to repeat the same steps over and over. All i want is an answer to my questions without having to waste more of my time trying the same things I have done repeatedly. two top 10% agents have already had to forward my issue to technical support. I don't think the issue will be resolved with more time troubleshooting unless there is something we have not tried yet.

Ashton: I can process a replacement magicJack device for you for free but you need to pay the shipping and handling for $9.95. This is a shipping and handling charge and it will be charged immediately.

Todd: we dont even know if thats the problem.

Todd: if the device is faulty the shipping should be waived

Todd: it is not damaged in any way.

Ashton: Shall we proceed now fixing your issue?

Todd: replacing my magicjack for a shipping fee? or fixing the issue, because neither addresses the problem.

Ashton: We will continue fixing your issue.

Todd: is there a supervisor i can speak with?

Ashton: Unfortunately, I'm the last person who you can chat.

Todd: if you were able to help me then two separate top 10% agents would not have already forwarded my issue to technical support.

Todd: how can i contact technical support? because nobody is contacting me.

Todd: i have already waited two weeks and spent over 14 hours of my time and i do not want to pay shipping and wait any longer because the problem cant be resolved on your end

Todd: i think i have been more than patient.

Ashton: Unfortunately, that's the replacement policy all about.

Todd: but the unit is not proven to be faulty. if the replacement comes and the issue is still not resolved there is no guarantee for a refund of my expenses, and that means the software is faulty and that is not my burden.

Todd: i am only interested in a replacement to hasten the process of fixing my issue

Ashton: Please confirm about the charge for replamcent for $9.95.

Todd: this charge is unreasonable because you fail to respond to my technical issue. if the technical department replies and states that the unit is faulty through some sort of online check then I can accept that, but nobody has replied to my issue

Todd: i would like a simple response before i make a purchase that may be pointless

Todd: has the technical department responded to either of the two reports that were sent in to them?

Ashton: I would suggest to please wait for them to contact you before you decide to ask for a replacement or purchase a new magicJack device.

Todd: and I am very able to wait if I am given a time but i waited a week, and then contacted you and i waited another week and then contacted you again

Todd: in the meantime the service that i am paying for does not work

Todd: how long do you suggest that I wait while I pay for a service that i am not receiving?

Ashton: I can't provide you timeframe. I would suggest to please check your email account from time to time.

Todd: does your policy allow for a credit of service for the time that I have been unable to use the service?

Ashton: Unfortunately, we can't issue a credit for that.

Todd: that is unacceptable. I have waited long enough. I have tried to resolve the issue directly with you. The issue is on your end and If you are not able to make any attempt to resolve the issue in a timely fashion without further expense to me then I will have to file a consumer complaint with the proper authorities.

Ashton: I have enough time to continue and try to fix your issue. I only need your cooperating with me.

Todd: alright, you may continue making suggestions i am a fair person and not trying to be rude, however if you suggest something that I have already tried I am not willing to repeat the same steps, I will let you know if i have tried it if you suggest it. if the issue is not resolved today I have no choice but to find someone else that can solve it.

Ashton: Thank you.

Todd: Thank you.

Ashton: Please unplug the magicJack device.

Todd: ok

Ashton: Are you connected with a router on your computer?

Todd: no

Ashton: Okay.

Ashton: http://upgrades.talk4free.com/tools/mjRemover.exe

Ashton: Please click the link above and run it.

Todd: i have already done this step.

Ashton: Please try to click again this time so we can reinstall your magicJack. Thank you.

Todd: i have reinstalled it 12 times

Todd: if this does not work you will just have me repeat another step i have done 12 times

Ashton: No, we won't repeat anything other steps.

Todd: if you are able to read more than just my last conversation, and you are able to read ALL of my conversations then you would not have asked me any of the questions you already have, or asked me to take any of the steps i already have. you may not have told me those steps but someone else has and i have already gone through them with other agents.

Todd: again not trying to be rude but i dont want to go through this again for 4 hours just so you can send a third follow up report. please just ask me if you have something if i have tried it yet

Todd: i will tell you if i have tried it already

Ashton: Please download the DivX Player from www.divX.com . Click the "FREE DOWNLOAD" button then click " RUN " then select the DivX Codec only in the installation.

Todd: i have already installed the codec

Ashton: Right click "My Computer", Go to "Properties" then go to "Hardware" tab and click "Device Manager".

Ashton: . Expand "Sound, game and video controllers" and right click "Audio Codecs" to check its properties.

Ashton: . Look for "msg711.acm" from the list.

Todd: one moment

Todd: I have located the file.

Ashton: Click on START then RUN.

Ashton: In the white box, type in "dxdiag" (without the quotes).

Ashton: Please take note of any error message that will popup.

Todd: its asking me if i want to allow DxDiag to check if my drivers are digitally signed, I assume i click yes here right?

Ashton: That's right.

Todd: DirectX Diagnostic Tool window has appeared, no error messages.

Ashton: Okay. Thank you.

Todd: of course

Ashton: On the softphone click on Menu > Advanced Users > Restart. Your magicJack dialpad will restart.

Todd: the dialpad is not active. the magicjack is not plugged in.

Ashton: Please plug the magicjack now.

Todd: done

Ashton: Is the blue light on?

Todd: yes

Ashton: Do you see the magicJack icon on your screen?

Ashton: Please double click the magicJack icon.

Todd: the magicjack window becomes focused

Ashton: Do you have the magicJack pad that show "Ready to Call"?

Ashton: Please try to place a call now.

Todd: it did not work.

Ashton: May I know the behavior of the call?

Todd: the magicjack states "session progress" and there is no ring tone coming from the phones speaker while the call is being placed. the phone is picked up and magicjack states "active" and no audio can be heard from either phone. when placing a call from the other telephone to the magicjack the call operates normally.

Ashton: Do you have another phone that you can use?

Todd: i have tried using another phone and have also tried the headset.

Todd: i have also tried placing the call to different phones.

Todd: i just placed a call to the magicjack and everything worked. but every time i place a call FROM magicjack the audio does not work on either phone.

Todd: the phone definitely works, the problem is either the software has a bug or the unit is faulty.

Ashton: Okay. Please wait while I will make a follow report on your issue.

Todd: if the magicjack was damaged then i could accept the shipping charge for the replacement but is there no warranty on the unit itself for if it is faulty?

Ashton: Unfortunately, we don't have warranty on magicJack.

Todd: the unit is also not lost

Todd: i did not purchase the magicjack directly through your company, but is there a return policy?

Todd: i do not have a receipt from the vendor

Ashton: If you purchased the magicJack device from a store, please contact the distributor or retailer directly to learn about their return policy.

Todd: i am willing to wait if i am confident the issue is being addressed, but i have not received a response. is there a policy about customer satisfaction? If you need more time I would like an email. I am unable to make use of my telephone service until you send me a reply, then I can make a decision to discontinue the service or get a new unit. but in the meantime I should just be further inconvenienced?

Ashton: May I have the best email that we can't contact you?

Todd: i have already waited for a week on two occasions, and a third follow up report is not gaining my confidence that the process will be any more expediatory. you already have my email address

Todd: i did not contact you so that you can waste my time for another 3 hours then make another follow up report. there are already 2 reports a third is redundant.

Todd: i contacted you hoping to get a response to my previous reports and possibly resolve this issue

Todd: if you cannot resolve it then I will have to file a report as this companies policies are seemingly unethical.

Ashton: I understand that. I will only need to follow up your issue since you haven't receive any reports yet.

Todd: but if the department you are sending information to does not reply and you have no way of contacting them directly then how are you following anything up? it is merely a reminder report, not a follow up report.

Ashton: I do understand your point and I will do my best to address and expedite your issue.

Todd: i do wish that I could be confident in your answer but unfortunately It is the third time it has been given to me and I am not convinced.

Todd: nothing personal of course.

Ashton: I apologize for that.

Todd: not your fault, but as a representative of the company with no higher ups i can talk to unfortunately you are the one who has to deal with me.

Todd: if there is nothing else that you can offer me at this time then you have my email address already.

Todd: I wont be contacting you again, I will be making a report of my own and waiting for a reply from your end or a higher authority.

Todd: neither side is benefiting from any further technical assistance.

Todd: thank you for your time and if you have anything else? otherwise we can end this conversation.

Ashton: Thank you so much for your cooperation and patience. I appreciate it.

Todd: likewise

Todd: do you have any further questions or comments for me Ashton?

Ashton: That will be all, Todd.

Todd: Do you have my email address?

Ashton: Is this the best email [email protected] we can contact you?

Ashton: Okay. Thank you.

Ashton: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Ashton: Have a great day ahead, Take care always.

Todd: goodbye

Ashton: Thank you for chatting. Goodbye.

I added color to the names for easier reading.

So basically I contacted the Better Business Bureau where magicjack is located (Florida) and magicjack shipped me a new unit the very next day free of charge and it just arrived today.

The problem is, I plugged it in and it did not fix the issue.
I am hoping to get some feedback on this thread and if you have any suggestions let me know and I have tried everything and even the techs cant figure it out but I will edit my first post as this thread moves on with a list of things i have already tried so that we will not get any repeat suggestions.

Last edited by Toddie on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:01 pm; edited 7 times in total
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

well it has been a week since i contacted them last,
here is the newest conversation.

Quote:

Jonahlour: Hello, how may I help you?

Todd: I spent about 16 hours with agents, had 3 reports sent to the technical department after they couldnt fix it, and even used a replacement magicjack and replacement telephone, I am still unable to make outgoing phone calls and after 3 weeks I have still not received a reply from your technical department. Whats going on?

Jonahlour: Please wait while I check your previous chats.

Todd: are you able to access the entire history of conversations since april 6th? or only the last few

Jonahlour: Yes.

Jonahlour: May I know if you have a ticket number please?

Todd: is it possible to have a transcript of my conversations sent to my email address? the ticket numbers are in the conversations i did not save any of them.

Jonahlour: I see.

Jonahlour: Please wait while I check that for you

Todd: thank you. the purpose is so that i may make a list of things i have, and have not tried.. to assist in troubleshooting and make it easier so that we do not repeat the same steps

Jonahlour: One moment please...

Jonahlour: Thank you for patiently waiting.,]

Jonahlour: As I check your previous chats, you have bad audio issues right

Jonahlour: ?**

Todd: there is many previous chats, would it be possible to have a copy for my own records?

Jonahlour: One moment please...

Jonahlour: Thank you for patiently waiting.

Jonahlour: Unfortunately we cannot give you the entire history of your chats.

Todd: is that a company policy?

Jonahlour: Yes.

Jonahlour: I can only give you the ticket number of our chat.

Todd: what about the other ticket numbers for previous chats

Jonahlour: Unfortunately I cannot give them to you Todd.

Todd: The problem may or may not be audio related, I have gone through all of the steps for troubleshooting audio, i cannot make outgoing calls.

Todd: the audio works fine for incoming calls

Jonahlour: I see.

Todd: the telephone speaker will not even produce a ringtone while dialing another phone however the dial tone is present

Jonahlour: Can you see a "Ready To Call" message on your dial pad right now?

Jonahlour: Okay.

Todd: an interesting occurance is that when i call an automated computer phone system, the audio is... audible.

Jonahlour: Please click the �Menu� button on the softphone then �Volume/Headset Control� and check if you have properly toggled to Telephone or Headset.

Jonahlour: Please click the �Menu� button on the softphone then �Volume/Headset Control� and lower the volume for both microphone and speakers to about 1/3 of max.

Jonahlour: If you're using a telephone, please click on the MENU button on the softphone then Volume/Headset Control, make sure the option "Telephone" is chosen. If you're using a headset, make sure the option "Headset" is chosen.

Jonahlour: Please do the set up above for your magicJack dial pad.

Todd: i have done this previously, the settings are correct.

Jonahlour: Okay.

Jonahlour: Please go to Control Panel. In there, please click Sounds and Audio Devices. Under Audio tab, please do not select Tigerjet as your default device for both dropdown menus. After that, please click the two first Volumes and slide all the bars all the way to the top, make sure nothing is muted.

Todd: i have tried using two different phones, 2 different magicjack, and a headset. and i have already done that last step and the settings are all correct.

Todd: but they are not set on tigerjet

Jonahlour: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.

Todd: i am always told to make sure they are NOT set to tigerjet

Chat InformationPlease wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

Destiny: Hi, This is Destiny.

Destiny: Would you mind giving me a moment to review your past chat?

Todd: sure

Destiny: Are you using a wireless connection?

Destiny: Are you using a router?

Destiny: Have you tried plugging in the Magicjack to another Computer and check if the problem still persist?

Todd: no, i am sure that it would work. the magicjack used to work on this computer. it crashed 3 weeks ago and after rebooting into safe mode and only starting microsoft services and devices the issue seems to be software that is conflicting on this computer with magicjack.

Todd: i do not have another computer unfortunately

Destiny: Magicjack rely on Computer's Internet connection, Speed, Strength and signal for it to work properly. As I checked your Magicjack settings and line here, all are working great with no problem.

Todd: incoming calls work fine

Todd: i can hear a dial tone, but when i make outgoing calls, i can not hear a ring tone while their phone is ringing, and when they answer the phone neither party can hear each other.

Destiny: Please Go to control panel then click on Network connections.

Destiny: In there right click on your active Internet connection and select properties, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click it, then click on properties.

Todd: preferred dns server 67.90.152.22 alternate dns server 67.107.71.186

Destiny: Is your anti-virus disabled?

Destiny: Have you tried using an AC powered hub?

Todd: no but would a computer crash have effected the power output of all four usb ports on my computer?

Todd: because it worked without a poweredhub before

Destiny: Yes, Todd.

Destiny: Have you tried using the Computer mic and speakers?

Todd: those do not work

Todd: not for magicjack they dont i mean

Todd: they work normally

Todd: so that probably eliminates the power possibility

Destiny: Do you have Computer headset there?

Todd: no i have a microphone and desktop speakers

Destiny: We will try to use it.

Destiny: On your magicJack, click menu and volume/headset control

Todd: i have tried this you just asked me

Destiny: Make sure the Headset is selected.

Todd: my microphone and speakers work fine i have tested them, i hear a dial tone on the speakers and can hear the tones when i dial on the softpad

Todd: when i place a call using the headset option with the mic and speakers, there is no ring tone and no party can hear each other

Destiny: Follow the steps below.

Destiny: Please Click the Windows Button (Old Start Button)

Destiny: And then Click Control Panel.

Destiny: If your Control Panel is in Classic View,

Destiny: Double-Click Sound

Destiny: If not, please Click on Hardware and Sound.

Destiny: And then Click Sound.

Todd: already on classic Wink

Destiny: In there Right-Click on your default device (the one you want to use)

Destiny: and select Set as De fault Device

Destiny: * Never select Tigerjet as your default device.

Destiny: And then Click Ok.

Todd: would that be under the audio tab?

Destiny: Yes.

Todd: already not default and "use only default devices" is checked.

Destiny: http://www.magicjack.com/site/downloads/mjrecover_setup.exe

Destiny: Click the link and click "run".

Todd: i have already ran that file on numerous occasions

Todd: i just installed a brand new magicjack also on this computer

Destiny: Same problem, right?

Todd: yes'

Destiny: That's because you are using the same connection.

Todd: explain

Destiny: Try plugging in the Magicjack to another PC with different connection and check the difference. Can you do it, Todd?

Todd: i do not have another pc available. what does the connection have to do with anything? the file is downloaded on my computer just fine

Destiny: Yes, you downloaded the file like that.

Destiny: Magicjack won't support the use of slow connection like satellite, aircard or Dial up. The reason for that is because those connection mentioned about can't support the Magicjack. Users can experience Audio problem. So Magicjack rely on your Computer's connection for it to work properly. Even if you will keep on buying new Magicjack device but you still have the same connection, you will still experience the same problem. I assure you that.

Todd: but the connection has not changed. magicjack worked on this computer 3 weeks ago before my computer crashed. it is high speed cable and magicjack is set to Normal (Hi-Speed)

Destiny: "computer crashed" you may have changed some settings on your Computer.

Todd: yes i know. i ask questions but they are not answered by previous agents

Todd: i disabled all devices and services non microsoft

Todd: is there any device or service that magicjack uses that i need to enable?

Destiny: No, Todd. Let's do a test. Try plugging in the Magicjack to another PC with different connection and check the difference. You may try it on your friends or relatives PC and check the difference.

Todd: but what will that solve? we can safely say the issue is the software on this computer conflicting with magicjack, so instead of resolving the conflict we will eliminate the computer? thats like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Todd: so magicjack works on another computer. what then?

Todd: move to my friends house?

Destiny: No, you need to reset your modem or use an AC powered hub.

Todd: i have reset the modem, and if the a/c powered hub does not resolve the issue that would not only be a replacement phone, and a replacement magicjack, but now a new piece of hardware. is it possible that the problem is not related to the usb ports being underpowered? i dont see how a software crash can effect the power on 4 separate pieces of hardware.

Destiny: The problem may be in your USB port, the power it is supplying to your magicjack and phone may be insufficient, if you have an AC powered USB hub I suggest you try it with your magicjack, (it will supply more power to your magicjack which will make it download the sound files faster),

Destiny: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eql6VjJUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Destiny: If in case the problem still persist please chat us back and look for me or if in the event that I am assisting others please ask for any second level tech online so that we can assist you further. Do not worry this chat transcript will be saved after this session. We can review this for reference so that you will not explain again.

Todd: depending on the speed of the download, different versions of the file are received?

Destiny: Yes.

Todd: if i download the files on a computer with a faster download speed and then upload them to my own server for download later or transfer them to media it might be more prudent than installing the magicjack on another computer

Todd: is there not a direct link to the faster version of the files?

Destiny: I am sorry but no, Todd.

Todd: what should be the minimum download and upload speed for magicjack to receive these files at?

Destiny: You need to have atleast 128 kbps

Todd: i have taken the speed test on this computer and it is roughly 8 mbps

Destiny: The problem may be in your USB port, the power it is supplying to your magicjack and phone may be insufficient, if you have an AC powered USB hub I suggest you try it with your magicjack, (it will supply more power to your magicjack which will make it download the sound files faster),

Destiny: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eql6VjJUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Destiny: Try plugging in the Magicjack to another PC with different connection and check the difference. You may try it on your friends or relatives PC and check the difference.

Todd: yes, repeating yourself is redundant, but i am asking a question that is unanswered. can a SOFTWARE crash effect the power output on HARDWARE?

Destiny: Yes, Todd.

Todd: i believe it is possible to test the output of my usb ports with software

Todd: do you happen to know what the minimum output shuld be?

Destiny: No, Todd. You may update your Computer's USB Drivers.

Todd: well i will try that

Destiny: Please do.

Todd: last question, i had to have a tech send in a report 3 weeks ago and two follow up reports have been sent since and i have not had a reply yet

Todd: i generally like to do a follow up report once a week

Destiny: I am sorry but we will not send any emails about the reports made. We will just fix it here in our system.

Todd: yes but the reason the report was sent was because you were unable to fix it

Todd: so the report is not interactive?

Todd: when you solve the problem you will not let me know?

Todd: i must keep checking back periodically?

Destiny: We received it, Todd.

Todd: yes, but when the issue is resolved can i expect a contact email with instructions on how to fix the error?

Destiny: No, you really to chat us here for the fixes since we need you online to check the settings and fix the issue.

Todd: if it needs to be fixed online then can i know why i am disconnected from chat because the agent tells me they cannot solve my issue and that they need to send a report?

Todd: i would love to fix it but i was under the impression from previous agents that i needed to wait

Destiny: They sent the report to the higher department so they can check the line and settings of your Magicjack.

Todd: ah, and the line and settings are fine... so its not a speed issue

Todd: if i buy a powered hub and that does not correct the problem do you suggest i buy a new computer? and if that does not work, then maybe i should move because the isp in my area is not sufficient?

Destiny: It's a speed issue. They still need to check it and make sure all settings are working great with no problem

Destiny: I did not suggest to but new computer.

Todd: if i download at a higher rate than the one you listed how is the speed an issue?

Destiny: You connection speed has a problem not your Computer specs or etc

Todd: there was no issue before the computer crash and i dont see how that would effect my isp

Todd: you think its coincidental?

Todd: perhaps i should contact my isp?

Destiny: Yes, you may.

Todd: if the connection is in question, you are saying that a powered hub would increase my speed?

Todd: i dont see how they are related

Destiny: ( it will supply more power to your magicjack which will make it download the sound files faster),

Todd: but i believe i already have the fastest version of the file downloaded. i can check the version in properties if you would like

Todd: i have taken the speed test online and i download over 8 mbps

Todd: will i not get the fastest version of the file with that download speed?

Todd: and if the speed was an issue, would that not also effect incoming calls?

Todd: i do not want to go out and buy an ac powered hub after i already replaced my magicjack and telephone unless i am absolutely sure that it may be a possibility

Destiny: You really need to try another computer or AC powered hub. If you insist that the computer don't have any problem. Do you want us to process the replacement again even if you are aware that you will still experience the same problem?

Destiny: Do you want it again?

Todd: i only offered that as a possible remedy to expedite the process, had i been aware that there would be no follow up after concluding the unit was not the issue, then.... well in a nutshell.. no i do not want another unit

Destiny: Let's do a test. Try plugging in the Magicjack to another PC with different connection and check the difference. You may try it on your friends or relatives PC and check the difference.

Destiny: I believe that I have already provided you all the information needed; I would like to ask permission to end this conversation with you. Thank you.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the site operator.

"Destiny" hung up on me after she couldn't make up her mind whether it was a power issue or a connection speed issue, which it should be neither since incoming calls work just fine.

it would be either a hardware issue which its not since i replaced both the phone and magicjack, or a software or settings issue, which it has to be.

boy the customer support is lousy, all that time they were sending reports, it was just for them! they just admitted they do not follow up with the customer on reports! they just expect you to "go away" i guess.
kuhntech
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is you internet service provider? Does their modem have a built-in firewall? Have you tried disabling Windows firewall?
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhntech wrote:
Who is you internet service provider? Does their modem have a built-in firewall? Have you tried disabling Windows firewall?

U.S. Cable.
No.
Yes.

Here is a conversation I had after being disconnected.

Quote:

Jewel: Hello, how may I help you?

Todd: i was just rudely disconnected by "Destiny" and I would like to complain. I also have a few questions that i would like answered.

Jewel: Yes, Todd, let me assist you this time.

Todd: I would like to know, if you have the answer, if you do not then tell me you do not know. my first question is this.

Jewel: Yes I have the answer.

Todd: i have not asked you any questions yet.

Jewel: Yes Todd.

Jewel: I am just prepared to answer any questions from you.

Todd: would bad connection speed effect both outgoing and incoming calls? if incoming calls work fine, would the connection speed being too slow still be a possibility as to why my outgoing calls will not work?

Jewel: Are you experiencing this issue most of the time?

Todd: every time

Todd: every time i make an outgoing call, but incoming calls work fine

Todd: if there was an issue with my connection speed, would incoming calls also be effected?

Jewel: Yes Todd.

Todd: my incoming calls are not effected. i have also taken the speed test.

Todd: therefore there is nothing wrong with my connection speed, however the last agent told me that there was something wrong with it.

Jewel: Is your computer connected to a router or a networking equipment like Cisco, Linksys, Netgear, or D-link?

Jewel: Do you see the magicJack dialpad up on your computer screen with the "Ready to Call" status message?

Todd: the issue has been forwarded to the technical department several times and they have tested my connection and line and the last agent i spoke with stated it is working properly

Todd: i have another question.

Todd: if the usb is not supplying enough power for magicjack to function properly, would that effect incoming calls as well as outgoing calls?

Jewel: Yes, most of the time Todd, it really affects power supply.

Jewel: If the ports were blocked, that the traffic would never work.

Todd: so if incoming calls work properly, then the usb power supply is sufficient and me not being able to place outgoing calls has nothing to do with the power output of the usb?

Todd: the last agent suggested i purchase an ac powered hub after explaining this. clearly this will not solve the problem. am i correct?

Todd: about your port comment, if the ports are blocked would i still be able to reveice incoming calls?

Todd: receive*

Todd: also i can make outgoing calls, but the audio does not work for the call... i can hear the dial tone on the phone so the audio is not the issue

Jewel: If the ports were blocked, it is hard for you to hear the other end, using magicJack.

Todd: i can hear the other end just fine when receiving a call, could the ports still be blocked?

Jewel: Were you able to add port 5060 and 5070 on your system?

Todd: i have not tried

Todd: can you provide me with the procedure?

Jewel: Sure.

Jewel: Please open Control Panel then open Windows Firewall.

Jewel: On Windows firewall, please click on "Exceptions" tab.

Jewel: under Exceptions tab, please click on "Add Port" button.

Jewel: (On Add Port Window)

Todd: if windows firewall is already off will changing the settings effect it?

Jewel: It will still take effect Todd, since you will not going turn off your firewall all the time.

Jewel: So, adding ports is a big help.

Jewel: Okay.

Todd: should i choose tcp or udp

Jewel: On the add port, please input the following.

Jewel: name: magicJack

Jewel: Port Number: 5060

Jewel: Please select "UDP" then click "OK" button.

Todd: so i should turn windows firewall on?

Jewel: Yes.

Jewel: Now, click on the ADD PORT button again, because we will be going to add port number 5070 this time.

Jewel: name: magicJack

Jewel: Port Number: 5070

Jewel: Please select "UDP" then click "OK" button

Todd: both ports are now added and windows firewall is turned n

Todd: on

Jewel: Okay.

Jewel: That's fine.

Todd: should i test a call now?

Jewel: Yes please.

Jewel: Please restart your dial pad by clicking on Menu>Advanced Users>Restart

Jewel: Restart your dial pad first.

Jewel: For the changes that will take effect.

Jewel: Sure.

Todd: the other phone still rings, so as i suspected the port is not blocked. but nobody can hear on either end

Todd: if the usb did not provide enough power this would happen on incoming calls as well correct?

Jewel: Yes, that's right.

Todd: this is an obvious software conflict

Todd: i have already tried to troubleshoot the software with agents and they give up after a few hours

Todd: what do you suggest?

Jewel: Yes, I am thinking right now.

Jewel: Do you have a different Voip service carrier with you?

Todd: no is there a free one that i can sign up with and test?

Jewel: Can I have your magicJack phone number first for me to check your account setting here in our database?

Todd: *** ***-****

Jewel: Thank you.

Jewel: So your license will expire this coming 2010-07-08

Todd: 3 months

Jewel: Yes.

Jewel: Do you mean, you are asking for a replacement?

Todd: no i have already received a replacement and the new unit did not resolve the issue.

Jewel: Oh I see, thanks for the info.

Jewel: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.

Nigel: Hello Todd. My name is Nigel. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat. Thank you.

Nigel: Thank you for waiting.

Todd: of course

Nigel: Let's try a few more things to address the issue. Please perform the steps below.

Todd: alright

Nigel: Click the "Start" button then "Settings" then "Control Panel" then go to "Internet Options", under "Privacy" tab, slide the bar down to "Accept all cookies".

Todd: the settings are already set to accept all cookies.

Nigel: Great.

Nigel: Then let's proceed.

Nigel: Click "Security" tab, click on "Trusted Sites" then click the "Sites" button.

Nigel: Un-check the box at the bottom left of the window that says "Require Server Verification".

Todd: already unchecked.

Nigel: Type the following address into the text bar, reg.talk4free.com then click the "Add" button, and also type in the following address, my.magicJack.com and click "Add" then "Close" then "OK".

Todd: both address already entered.

Nigel: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade (applicable for both XP & Vista):

Nigel: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Nigel: i have already upgraded more than once, and i just replaced the magicjack so it is the newest version already.

Nigel: Okay, then let's proceed to the other fixes.

Todd: sure

Nigel: We have to reset your Device Manager drivers. Please perform the following steps. Are you ready?

Todd: i have tried this and no update is available

Nigel: Please try this with me.

Nigel: Can we proceed.

Nigel: At Device Manager window, click + to the left of Disk drives. (Do you see YMAX MagicJack USB Device or Tigerjet Harddisk USB Device?)

Nigel: Right click on YMAX MagicJack USB Device or Tigerjet Harddisk USB Device and select Uninstall.

Todd: done this half a dozen times already. i uninstalled and now i am prompted to restart the computer

Nigel: Click + to the left of DVD/CD drives. (Do you see YMAX MagicJack USB Device or TigerJet CD-ROM USB Device?)

Todd: yep

Nigel: Right click on YMAX MagicJack USB Device or TigerJet CD-ROM USB Device and select Uninstall.

Nigel: Click the + sign next to Sound, video and games Controllers then see if you can find USB Internet Phone by Tigerjet in there.

Todd: usb audio device

Nigel: Right click the USB Audio device then click properties. In the properties box, under the general tab, check if you see location 0 usb internet phone by tigerjet. ( IF YES, then proceed to the steps below )

Todd: it is

Nigel: Right click on USB Internet Phone by Tigerjet or USB Audio Device with Tigerjet location on its properties and select uninstall.

Nigel: If the computer prompts you to reboot, click CANCEL or NO on the dialog box.

Nigel: Kindly unplug the magicJack.

Todd: unplugged

Nigel: Click start menu/start button then click RUN. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter key on your keyboard or click start menu/start button then click Control Panel and double click device manager.

Todd: its still open

Nigel: At Device Manager window, click + to the left of Sound, Video and Game Controllers. (You may also see Human Interface Device instead)

Todd: update all 3 drivers?

Nigel: You should see USB Audio Device. Right-click on that and select Update Drive.

Todd: it is not on the list. should i plug in magicjack first perhaps?

Nigel: Not yet.

Todd: the specified device is not listed

Nigel: You may also see Human Interface Device instead.

Todd: under human interface devices there are 3 listed.

Nigel: Okay.

Todd: only one is usb and its not tigerjet

Nigel: May I know what are under the Human Interface device?

Nigel: You should see USB Audio Device. Right-click on that and select Update Drive.

Todd: HID-complaint consumer control device,HID-complaint consumer control device and USB Human Interface Device

Todd: there is no USB audio device

Todd: the usb listed i check properties and its my webcam which is not even plugged in

Todd: oh nevermind

Todd: its my keyboard

Todd: or my mouse or something

Nigel: Please right click on USB Human Interface Device and select update.

Todd: in properties that is (Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop� 1.00)

Todd: you want me to update my keyboard and mouse?

Nigel: No need.

Nigel: Okay, leave it there.

Todd: the usb audio device is not listed

Nigel: Plug the magicJack back in.

Todd: the HID-complaint consumer control device in that treeview say location 0 in the properties, just a coincidence? or could those be the device i need

Nigel: Please do unplug the magicjack device and update that option.

Todd: leave those alone? or try to uninstall them?

Todd: i have not lpugged the magicjack in yet

Todd: they do not say usb

Todd: try to uninstall them anyway?

Nigel: No update that please.

Todd: update? or uninstall

Todd: there are two of them, and they both say location 0

Todd: in the properties

Todd: manufacturer microsoft

Nigel: Okay, just leave it there.

Nigel: Plug the magicJack device back in on your computer.

Todd: ok one moment

Nigel: Close that window now.

Nigel: Let me know once your done.

Todd: doine

Nigel: Do you see the magicJack dial pad now with the Ready to Call message on it?

Todd: its loading

Todd: "Ready to call"

Nigel: Great.

Nigel: Try placing a call.

Nigel: Check if the audio is better now.

Todd: i can hear the dial tone just like before, but there is still no ring tone or audio on either end when i place a call. incoming calls still work fine. i have already uninstalled and reinstalled many many times.

Nigel: I see.

Nigel: May I know if you are using Headset or Handset in placing a call?

Todd: i have tried both. my suspicion is that something in windows is set to something that magicjack does not check for. the magicjack worked 3 weeks ago before my computer crashed nd would not load explorer on reboot. after going into safe mode and disabling all devices and services non microsoft i was able to boot normally and get explorer to load. after that magicjack does not work for outgoing calls. i have tried 2 phones, two magicjack, a headset, and so far a little over 18 hours of tech support.

Nigel: Now we need to totally remove the magicJack system files from your computer and replace them with the one from our website. Please be informed that once we delete the magicJack system, the contacts that are save in your magicJack dial pad will be erased as well, is that okay with you?

Todd: if there is any microsoft files that i might need to update that magicjack uses perhaps we shuld try that next

Todd: can i export the list?

Todd: i also have a second magicjack. i was under the impression that the contact list is stored serverside because it says to wait while downoading contacts

Nigel: It will only delete your contacts save in your magicJack dial pad?

Todd: where is the data stored

Todd: my computer, the magicjack, or your server

Nigel: Please go to My Computer please.

Nigel: From the menu bar go to "Tools" and select "Folder Options". In there click on the "View" tab and make sure the option "Show hidden files and folders" is checked then click "OK".

Nigel: Look for the magicJack drive that has a "Format" option, double-click on that drive then look for the "magicJack" folder and copy the file named "Addressbook" then Paste it into your "Desktop".

Todd: it asks me to insert a disk and will not let me open it

Nigel: May I know if your magicJack device is plugged in right now?

Todd: it is

Todd: when i plugged in my new magicjack the contacts were downloaded automatically

Nigel: Okay, kindly unplug your magicJack device please.

Todd: two drives dissappeared from my computer

Nigel: http://upgrades.talk4free.com/tools/mjRemover.exe

Nigel: Click on the link above, the run the mj remover.

Todd: i never checked the other for the address folder you mentioned

Todd: i have tried this file before also

Todd: run it now?

Todd: btw the other drive did not have any format option

Nigel: Make sure magicJack is not plug in while running the mj remover.

Nigel: Let me know once your done running the mj remover.

Todd: magicjack was removed successfully

Nigel: Wait for 1 minutes before you plug it back.

Todd: "ready to call". contacts were downloaded.

Nigel: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade (applicable for both XP & Vista):

Nigel: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Todd: when magicjack was loading it told me "lucky you, upgrading now" should i update again with this new file?

Nigel: Yes, please do.

Todd: upgraded. "ready to call".

Nigel: Now, try placing a call.

Nigel: Check if the audio is better now.

Todd: it is not. same issue.

Nigel: I will be making a report about your concern and our Technical Engineers will be checking on this. Please do provide me with the needed information below:

Nigel: Customer name....:

Nigel: Email address....:

Nigel: MJ Number........:

Todd: interesting to note, when i place a call to an automated phone the audio works

Nigel: What do you mean it is working now?

Todd: no when the problem started 3 weeks ago i was able to place a call to my bank and use the automated phone service but i have tried 6 other numbers both cell phones and land lines and the calls do not work

Todd: for some reason, placing a call to the banks automated service does work, i have not tried with other automated services

Todd: i have already sent in three reports and "Destiny" told me that the reports are only for follow up on your end. she also told me that they just use the report to check my connection and line and she stated that both were working properly.

Todd: in the meantime my problem will never be solved because you dont reply back to the customer.

Nigel: No, worries since Destiny already sent a report to our Engineers I will another report to make sure that this will reach and our Engineers will take immediate action on this.

Todd: the magicjack may work on another computer but it does not work on this one. what immediate action will be taken? i was already told that emails are not sent out to customers. how will i know how to resolve the issue if/when it has been solved?

Nigel: Okay, this is the best thing I can do for you now, to address your concern to our Engineers.

Nigel: Right after this chat session, I will make sure that this will reach to our Engineers.

Todd: the issue seems to be related to my computer, since after it crashed the magicjack has not worked. the engineers can not troubleshoot my computer from their end. Destiny explained that the best way to solve the issue is with live chat, but then you are not able to help me and keep filing reports. so if the reports are supposed to address the issue, and i am told that your engineers dont follow up with the customer, so what is the purpose of live chat after i file a report?

Todd: i come to live chat because my report is not being replied to and i am specifically told it will not be replied to, and then another report is filed? i dont see how that will address my concern.

Nigel: Okay, if the issue still persist after agent doing a lots of fixes. And still does not work.

Todd: yes?

Nigel: That is the time that will forward the concern to Our Engineers.

Todd: but a report has been made and already forwarded three more times, you are making a fourth follow up, it has been 3 weeks and 5 reports.

Nigel: And our Engineers will be tracing the problem and doing solution for the problem to be resolved.

Todd: i was told by agents at first to wait for an email, but destiny told me no email will ever be sent. which one is it?

Todd: i do not want to make future follow up reports

Todd: i would like to know when and if i will ever receive a reply

Todd: i am only contacting you again for the status of the report because i have not been contacted

Todd: 3 weeks without service as of now, and i would like to know if i will receive a reply or if i should use another carrier in the meantime

Nigel: Okay, I really love to help you, But I have tried almost all the fixes for your issue.

Todd: i am not asking for help i am asking for an answer

Nigel: But still won't work, forwarding your issue to our Engineers is the only option I had right now.

Todd: does the technical department send out emails to customers or not?

Nigel: Yes, they do.

Nigel: But because a lot of customer we need to cater our Engineers are also busy fixing customers demand and issue.

Nigel: That is why sometimes the forwarded concern of the customer to the Engineers, have a late reply or response.

Todd: not being able to solve the problem immediately is not my concern, after 3 weeks i have not received a reply. i find that rude that i have not received a reply reassuring me that my issue is important. can you give me an estimate on when i might receive one?

Nigel: But, our Engineers do send the emails for the response on your concern.

Todd: i have yet to receive one.

Todd: i would like to know if they are unable to fix my issue so that i can move on

Todd: if they cannot fix it i would like to know

Todd: my concern is that i am not being contacted.

Nigel: I really love to give you time frame however, I don't have the answer yet now, I would be giving false information for that.

Nigel: And I don't want to give false information on every customer I assisted for I value each customer I had assisted.

Nigel: Hope you would understand my side.

Todd: yes i understand this however i am without service while this is straightened out. this would not be as much of a problem if my account was credited for the time my service has been out however i was told previously that your policy does not allow for that.

Todd: i understand you are merely an employee, but you must understand that you are the one i am contacting which represents the company and if you cannot answer my questions then you should find someone that can.

Nigel: For now I am the supervisor in-charged here, the only thing I can do is forward the concern of our Customers that even done all the fixes still the problem persist.

Todd: i have tried to contact higher support or a supervisor but was told there are none higher as you just mentioned.

Nigel: Yes, on this department I am the highest support you can have.

Todd: if my service which is set to expire in 3 months is still not working, and i have not received a reply from the technical department, should i renew the service at that time?

Nigel: But, if still the issue is not solve that is the time we need to do report and submit it on the next department which is the Engineers.

Todd: how much time do they need?

Todd: there is no way to contact them directly since you cannot help me it would be more prudent to speak with them would it not?

Todd: it makes no sense for you to repeatedly relay the info like a secretary and for me to repeatedly troubleshoot the same steps and waste more time so another report can be sent

Nigel: One moment please...

Todd: alright

Nigel: Can we test your Internet Speed first Todd.

Nigel: http://speedtest.net/

Nigel: Click on the link above to test your Internet Speed.

Nigel: See if outgoing/upstream is slow.

Todd: i have before, but you we can again. it is roughly over 8 mbps upload. according to my research this is slightly above average for high speed

Todd: excuse me 8 mbps download

Todd: 1 mbps upload

Nigel: Okay, would it be okay if we try it now.

Todd: currently running the test

Nigel: Please click on the underline message above.

Todd: 8.52/1.04

Nigel: Do you have Windows Media Player version 11? If yes and you don't know which version it is, please open the program and go to Help > About Windows Media Player.

Todd: version 10.00.00.4036

Nigel: MagicJack requires Windows Media Player version 11.

Nigel: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

Nigel: Please click on the link above download and run the windows media player version 11 in your system.

Nigel: Let me know once your done.

Todd: ya know i asked about what magicjack required 3 weeks ago and that was never mentioned, i will try this one moment.

Todd: i am unable to update

Nigel: Did you click on the link above.

Nigel: The underline message above?

Todd: windows genuine advantage claims my version of windows is not genuine

Todd: it wont let me install

Todd: the magicjack worked before with this version

Nigel: Yes, but it is needed to update the Windows media player to version 11.

Todd: windows genuine advantage is merely anti pirating software, i have corporate version of xp professional which means i can install it on as many computers as i want, however it is not recognising my copy as genuine

Todd: magicjack was working with this current version of windows media player installed on my computer

Todd: i can download the file but i cannot install unless i can find another version of the software from somewhere else

Nigel: One moment please...

Nigel: May I know if you have installed divX player on your PC?

Todd: i have

Nigel: May I know the version?

Todd: just the codec, and it was last week

Nigel: You need to install the latest version of Windows Media player on your computer, Todd.

Todd: ah, so because windows will not let me do that i must find a pirated version

Todd: pirated version of freeware

Todd: magicjack worked before with this version of media player. can you explain that?

Nigel: Do you get any error message when you try to install Windows Media Player?

Todd: no error message

Nigel: Can you try it again/

Nigel: I mean try installing again.

Todd: it connects with microsoft server and checks my copy of windows to make sure it is valid

Todd: it says my copy is not genuine

Todd: and it will not let me proceed

Nigel: Have you tried connecting your magicjack into another computer, Todd?

Todd: that only thing that would do is re-establish that my computer is not compatable with magicjack. of course it would work on another computer.

Todd: i have not tried it for obvious reasons.

Todd: i have no other computer here at home and i would need to bring the magicjack somewhere else
Nigel: Please also try to update your sound card driver.

Todd: already tried that

Todd: if the current version of media player worked with the magicjack for months i cant see how the problem is resulting from the version not being updated.

Todd: unless you have any other suggestions for me? i have been over this for hours with other agents.

Nigel: We will be updating our magicJack servers here on our end from time to time without informing you as well. Might as well try to install the latest version of Windows Media Player on your PC.

Todd: might as well try.. is a lot different than "it is required".

Todd: Wink

Nigel: Yes, sorry.

Todd: yes i have tried the same things many times repeatedly, i am also sorry for me.

Todd: do you have anything else to add for suggestions

Nigel: Try it on another PC as well. For us to make sure that the problem is with your computer or on the magicJack itself.

Todd: i have received a replacement magicjack already. i believe that it has already been established.

Nigel: I do apologize for the trouble it caused you, Todd.

Nigel: Oh I see. So, it's obvious that it's your computer that is having problem.

Todd: not your fault but you can appreciate my frustration which i cannot direct to the proper authority

Todd: i would like to have a word with the engineers my friend.

Todd: the computer is not compatable with the magicjack but its not necessarily my problem

Nigel: I understand. In as much as I would like to transfer you to one of our Engineers, unfortunately, it's not possible.

Nigel: The least I can do is to send a report and have our Engineers send you an email regarding your issue.

Todd: i understand i am just amphasizing that you do not need to apologize.

Nigel: Since we already have tried all possible fixes.

Todd: well i appreciate your support in doing what you can personally

Todd: and yes i agree we have

Nigel: Thank you for your kindness my friend.

Nigel: Shall I go ahead and make the follow up report now?

Nigel: No worries, rest assured this will be taken cared of and this will be prioritized.

Todd: it is unfortunate that you are incapable of addressing my issue, but seeing as how this is the way it is, my only plausible recourse seems to be to file a second consumer complaint. I liked the service when it worked and i would rather wait for it to be fixed, however I have waited a reasonable amount of time already for this to be resolved but it has not been nor has any estimated time frame been given. I cannot wait forever without a response while my service does not work. this time I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and requesting a pro-rated refund for the remainder of my service from 4/6/10 until it expires on 7/8/10 and I will have to find a different phone carrier. thank you for your time and i appreciate you doing your best and making another report. maybe the issue will be fixed shortly it would be preferred....

Nigel: I understand that you are frustrated, Todd. And I will respect your decision as well.

Todd: but i cannot wait hoping that it does i must be responsible and take steps on my own end to resolve the issue since it cannot be done for me.

Todd: with regret i am doing so however its worth repeating the mention that i did enjoy the service while it worked and these things happen but the resolution process is not adequate for my standards.

Todd: thank you for making another folow up report nigel and i hope you have a good day

Nigel: You're welcome, Todd. And have a good day too.

Todd: goodbye

Nigel: Do take care and best regards to you and your family.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick suggestion to eliminate or condemn MJ - have you tried it in another computer? The problem is that MJ may be working just fine - but one thing or another that you have loaded on your PC may cause a conflict resulting in your symptoms. The MJ tech chat folks are reading from scripts so they can't help you debug your PC - let alone the MJ. If you have another (relatively "clean" PC) try it and see what results you get. If you happen to have a spare hard drive and don't mind installing Windows on it as a factory-fresh installation and then try MJ on that. Results for MJ vary from machine-2-machine because of such conflicts.
Paul777
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did u get this working ?
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul777 wrote:
did u get this working ?

no

hsweiss wrote:
Quick suggestion to eliminate or condemn MJ - have you tried it in another computer? The problem is that MJ may be working just fine - but one thing or another that you have loaded on your PC may cause a conflict resulting in your symptoms. The MJ tech chat folks are reading from scripts so they can't help you debug your PC - let alone the MJ. If you have another (relatively "clean" PC) try it and see what results you get. If you happen to have a spare hard drive and don't mind installing Windows on it as a factory-fresh installation and then try MJ on that. Results for MJ vary from machine-2-machine because of such conflicts.

Far from quick.
I have not contacted the BBB a second time as of yet I merely stated that I would be contacting them. On Tuesday it will have been a month. then..

its not condemnation for the unit, its condemnation for the service.
I enjoyed it while it was working.

OBVIOUSLY mj would work on a FRESH brand new computer...
you are missing the point.

mj did not design windows, Microsoft did. by nature its going to be full of conflicts.

I did not install anything, my computer crashed. there is no third party software. the conflict is with the operating system itself. the burden is not mine EVEN THOUGH i was nice enough to spend over 20 hours troubleshooting the problem.

in a nutshell when should I condemn it? it has been a month, 20 hours of my time, and not ONE single reply from the technical department.

I have only one computer at my house.
lets say I try it on another computer and it works, (which it will) then what? buy a brand new computer for a piece of hardware and service worth $20?

Or are you suggesting I wait another 3 months without being contacted until my service expires, all the while not being able to use it, and then renew my service that still does not work? how much of this have you actually read?

I would prefer a credit to be honest. I am a patient man.
I am not saying mj is a piece of crap... But surely at those times when it craps out you should be given the benefit of the doubt that you did not kick it or drop it into a glass of water... and you basically did not personally cause the issue... all in all the service does not work so I should not be charged for it. pure and simple. their policy does not allow for credits for unused service which is the sole reason I involved the BBB in the first place.

I made this thread for offering technical suggestions to fix the problem, not for offering criticism, even if you deem it constructive... its not. If mj cant work on my computer anymore then I can accept that just as long as I am given the unused remainder of my prepaid service pro-rated and returned.

After being rudely disconnected on more than one occasion by live chat agents, I really should not be giving mj ANY chance to redeem itself.

I am doing more than enough on MY end including contacting mj, debugging myself, seeking out outside help... for example using google and also posting in this unofficial forums

they obviously use scripts, to try to debug.. the only thing is they are generic. I am a+ certified and so are the techs (I am told) that work for mj. The scripts are just a template which is very basic, but when the basic methods fail should I not be transferred to someone that CAN debug my computer?

if they can spend FOUR hours per session with me, I dont see it as a monetary issue that they dont have the time to help me. they are simply unwilling.

even if for some reason it is MY fault (which it is not) I should just do nothing while they ignore me? besides the no credit policy, them not contacting me is my second largest complaint. then the fact that when you do speak with a live agent, they dont listen, dont answer questions, repeat themselves, tell you different solutions which are impossible, sometimes even hang up on you... the list goes on but i digress.

So you are saying I am going too far? Maybe I am not justified in my actions? Maybe I should skip through a field of flowers and sing la la la?
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your frustration. And I agree that dealing with MJ is a pain in the ass because they really don't want to deal with you. And the major problem with MJ is that its operation is based on your PC. The dongle doesn't do much other than convert from an RJ-11 phone to digital. The "real" guts of the operation is the program downloaded and running on your PC. For some folks it works great, for others its not worth the plastic its made of. All I'm saying is that you should try to eliminate all the problems - is it MJ or is it your computer. If you determine that the MJ is working fine in another computer, you can at least decide what your next step will be. You can simply punt and say, "oh well, I just tossed $40 down the drain." Or you can say "well, I really could use a new computer anyway." Or you can say, "well, my machine is running kind of crappy anyway, so I should reload with a fresh copy of windows and try it again." If you want a more fool-proof alternative phone capability (which will cost you more), you might try one of the other hardware-based solutions like Vonage, Ooma, and TK6000. Vonage will cost you monthly what you are paying for MJ per year. The other guys will cost you more $$ upfront but they don't rely on your PC so your results might be better. As for dealing with MJ and trying to get your money back - I'm behind you 100% and would suggest you search this forum for more info about folks who have had problems and did get their money back.
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsweiss wrote:
I understand your frustration. And I agree that dealing with MJ is a pain in the ass because they really don't want to deal with you. And the major problem with MJ is that its operation is based on your PC. The dongle doesn't do much other than convert from an RJ-11 phone to digital. The "real" guts of the operation is the program downloaded and running on your PC. For some folks it works great, for others its not worth the plastic its made of. All I'm saying is that you should try to eliminate all the problems - is it MJ or is it your computer. If you determine that the MJ is working fine in another computer, you can at least decide what your next step will be. You can simply punt and say, "oh well, I just tossed $40 down the drain." Or you can say "well, I really could use a new computer anyway." Or you can say, "well, my machine is running kind of crappy anyway, so I should reload with a fresh copy of windows and try it again." If you want a more fool-proof alternative phone capability (which will cost you more), you might try one of the other hardware-based solutions like Vonage, Ooma, and TK6000. Vonage will cost you monthly what you are paying for MJ per year. The other guys will cost you more $$ upfront but they don't rely on your PC so your results might be better. As for dealing with MJ and trying to get your money back - I'm behind you 100% and would suggest you search this forum for more info about folks who have had problems and did get their money back.

I reiterate...
I only have 3 months left on my service.
The magicjack worked on this computer for 9 months.
My computer crashed.
Since then I have tried two MJ, and two telephones.

hsweiss wrote:
All I'm saying is that you should try to eliminate all the problems - is it MJ or is it your computer.

I have already determined that it is my computer.
Posting in this forum is one of the things I am doing to try to eliminate the problems.

Again, This is a thread for technical support. I am fully capable of determining the best approach to handle my situation if and when I decide to give up on magicjack.

I do not have a copy of windows on disk any longer, and I am unwilling to buy a new computer.

You yourself say its most likely software related since the guts of magicjack is the program itself. I could not agree more. especially when incoming calls work (so the hardware must work). Surely the most reasonable way to fix this issue would be to find out whats causing the conflict. Any idiot can recommend trying a new computer. This fixes nothing and merely replaces something. It is a dismissive solution for which I have already articulated my thoughts upon.

Do you have any possible solutions that I have not tried yet?
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddie wrote:

My computer crashed.

I have already determined that it is my computer.

I do not have a copy of windows on disk any longer, and I am unwilling to buy a new computer.

Any idiot can recommend trying a new computer. This fixes nothing and merely replaces something. It is a dismissive solution for which I have already articulated my thoughts upon.

Do you have any possible solutions that I have not tried yet?

It looks like you've narrowed it down. Any idiot can ignore the obvious solution.
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not worth replying to, except that I would like to say that YOU are an idiot... or selectively illiterate. I have ignored nothing, however you seem to be quite ignorant in a willful way.

When you need an oil change do you replace your car? how about when it runs out of gas?

Again, This is a thread for technical support. I am fully capable of determining the best approach to handle my situation if and when I decide to give up on magicjack.

Please do yourself a favor and DON'T click reply.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the idiot?

I bet it's the one who says "I know my car needs oil, but my oil can is empty. What do I do?"

I'll edit and add this, because I'm sure the metaphor is lost on you.

You know you have a problem with the Windows on your computer. You stupidly inferred that I meant the only solution to that problem is to buy another computer.

You claim to have no copy of Windows, and that is an insurmountable obstacle to you. Your oil can is empty. Whatever should you do?

Idiot defined.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddie.... YES this is a technical support FORUM made up of users who do not work for MJ but try to help people on OUR time with nothing asked in return, not even $$.
There are certain troubleshooting techniques which we use to try to help. He never said BUY a new PC he said to try MJ on another PC as part of troubleshooting your problem. Sorry you do not have any friends or family with a pc. Sounds like there may be other problems NOT related to PC there, but I won't touch that.
If you are not willing to try the suggestions then you need to look on iknowmorethanyouthereforeiamsmarter.com and see if they can help you..

Joe Sica

Last edited by bitstopjoe on Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try on the analogy, but it does not apply.

Oil is required regularly for a car to function as part of its maintenance.
If you run out of oil it is an obvious solution to procure more.

installing a new operating system or getting a new computer is not maintenance its replacement.

I would love to stay and have a riveting duel of wits with you, however you are obviously unarmed.

Now stop being such a glittering jewel of ignorance and re-read my previous two statements. They should need no rephrasing.

Quote:

Quote:

Please do yourself a favor and DON'T click reply.

EDIT: I could continue but why would I waste my time?
The operating system works in EVERY WAY but magicjack software does not work. yet you are right it MUST be the operating system NOT magicjack software which I have already found several bugs in.

Just stfu already.

Last edited by Toddie on Sun May 02, 2010 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Toddie.... YES this is a technical support FORUM made up of users who do not work for MJ but try to help people on OUR time with nothing asked in return, not even $$.
There are certain troubleshooting techniques which we use to try to help. If you are not willing to try them then you need to look on iknowmorethanyouthereforeiamsmarter.com and see if they can help you..

Joe Sica

WHERE IS YOUR troubleshooting technique?
replacement is a technique now?

Thats right you dont get paid to reply. its your CHOICE.
so stop whining about free will because you can choose to not participate instead of spamming up my thread...
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bright one, the oil analogy was your own. I merely answered your question. Are you keeping up here?

If you can't be troubled to keep a copy of Windows handy for a Windows PC, then that's your problem. I won't buy you a can of oil, either.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddie wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
There are certain troubleshooting techniques which we use to try to help. If you are not willing to try them then you need to look on iknowmorethanyouthereforeiamsmarter.com and see if they can help you..

Joe Sica

WHERE IS YOUR troubleshooting technique?
replacement is a technique now?

Thats right you dont get paid to reply. its your CHOICE.
so stop whining about free will because you can choose to not participate instead of spamming up my thread...

Again trying MJ on another PC is NOT replacement, or do I need to type slower since you don't read very well..
Who is whining? I enjoy helping people on here when I can, especially those who know how to appreciate it when someone offers help. Not bitch and moan like you.
I am sure there are many other forums for you to invade, good luck.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the invader, invading my thread.

I asked you nicely to offer a suggestion other than replacement.
If you continue to reply with anything less after I specifically told you that repeating yourself is not helping me, then thats on you buddy.

Only someone insane repeats the same thing expecting a different result.
care to reply again?

EDIT: p.s. read the thread. I have already determined it is my computer that is the issue. So I try mj on another computer and it works... then what?
seems to me replacement is EXACTLY what you are suggesting.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddie wrote:
You are the invader, invading my thread.

I asked you nicely to offer a suggestion other than replacement.
If you continue to reply with anything less after I specifically told you that repeating yourself is not helping me, then thats on you buddy.

Only someone insane repeats the same thing expecting a different result.
care to reply again?

Coming from someone who is repeating himself..... No it is NOT replacement it is removing the MJ from the equation, THEN one can concentrate on finding the conflict on your PC. IF you didnt try your MJ on another PC and the MJ was at fault there would be no point in troubleshooting any further, or is that to hard for you to grasp?
Yes this time I did type slower for you.

Have a nice Sunday.

Joe Sica

Last edited by bitstopjoe on Sun May 02, 2010 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing Mr. last word.

EDIT:
p.s. since you so graciously edited your post, IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DETERMINED that it is my pc. NOT the magicjack. MJ HAS ALREADY BEEN REMOVED FROM THE EQUATION! I am only repeating the answers to your repeat questions/statements.

Last edited by Toddie on Sun May 02, 2010 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we've all calmed down, I think I can help. Since you refuse to fix the problem by reinstalling Windows (changing the oil), I have a couple other alternative solutions for you:

1) Set your computer to "self heal" mode by turning it off and covering it with a blanket for 90 days. Do not disturb it or use power tools in the vicinity.

2) Get a lobotomy. You can even do it yourself! Just Google the "Neurosurgery Technical Support Forum." Just be sure not to disturb your healing computer while you drill the holes in your skull.
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, no user control panel for putting other users on ignore.
I would calmly slap you but shit splatters.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please skip to option 2. That lobotomy just can't wait another day.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you came back and added this tough talk after I already responded to your post.

Toddie wrote:

EDIT: I could continue but why would I waste my time?
The operating system works in EVERY WAY but magicjack software does not work. yet you are right it MUST be the operating system NOT magicjack software which I have already found several bugs in.

Just stfu already.

How do you reconcile that claim with the below info from your initial post? :

Toddie wrote:

My computer crashed on april 6th, after watching a video on my browser. The computer still crashes (freezes some times but most times it restarts) very frequently...

Have you run the MJ uninstall utility that is available at the MJ faq page????
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:

Toddie wrote:

My computer crashed on april 6th, after watching a video on my browser. The computer still crashes (freezes some times but most times it restarts) very frequently...

Easy.

Its only when watching videos on my browser. the browser is not part of the OS.

its possibly a browser plugin or settings issue and the computer never crashes while running normally, it only crashes when I watch a video and only sometimes while I watch them.

even if it was a video card issue, this would be completely unrelated to MJ.

Have you run the MJ uninstall utility that is available at the MJ faq page????

well at least you are offering a suggestion now, thank you.

however...

This was explained already in one of my chats with the MJ technicians. But for the benefit of you not having to actually read the conversation, I will answer again.

Yes.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought have you removed MJ from your system http://upgrades.talk4free.com/tools/mjRemover.exe and reinstalled it.
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Just a thought have you removed MJ from your system http://upgrades.talk4free.com/tools/mjRemover.exe and reinstalled it.

Is there any wonder as to why I am frustrated?
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well please recycle when you throw your MJ in the trash.
Toddie
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*
Paul777
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. I can understand the frustration. He bought an MJ and it doesn't work due to a PC issue.. There are so many variables. Different machines, desk tops, laptops, thin clients. All with different OS and configurations. I myself had some set up issues on the first MJ I bought, but after spending time with MJ support it was up and running. So I got it working on an old HP desktop (tower) running XP, and also on a HP laptop (2 years old) running Vista.

So happy with MJ I bought one for my mother and one for nephew. I plan on giving it as gifts for birthdays to other people too.

When I realized leaving a computer on all the time was not going to be good for the electricity bill, I went looking for thin clients as I read in this forum MJ runs quite nicely on thin clients. I lucked out and bought 4 Neoware for $100. However, after some trial and tribulation, only one unit could run with MJ. So not great, but I did have success with one.

Then reading how nicely MJ works on the T5710 thin client from HP, I starting looking. Found a place selling them (not cheap - $110) each, I thought it was going to be golden. I bought 3 units since I didn't want to drive back and forth and risk the seller not having more units. Again I had trouble with the set up and was just about to make thin clients fly. I did contact MJ help but they were stumped. I returned back to the forum asking for input. One poster suggested I start with an absolute clean image. That's excatly what I did and once installed I found I had an internal networking issue. With that resolved, I installed MJ and it worked !!

So now I have 3 HP thin clients and a Neoware thin client all up and running with MJ. So it can and does work. Sometimes not as easily and sometimes you need help and sometimes it does work on first install.

So am I saving $300 a year on my phone bill- Yes ! Did I spend more time and effort to get there - Yes! Will I be saving $300 a year for the next 5 years ? Yes !

I suspect all Todie wants is a unit that will work on a specific computer and also save $300 a year. Unfortunately it`s giving him grief. The frustration might be getting the better of him. Believe me when I bought the 3 HP units and couldn`t get it to work, I was ready to make them fly out the window ! Smile See my other posts... it`s all there.. But in the end I kept trying and finally UTOPIA !

Now I can go back to having a social life. Those hours spent trying to get my set up to work, only made me realize that not everything is as easy as it seems, and I have a greater appreciation for what is really important above and beyond the $300 a year savings.... my friends and family !

Now that I have MJ running I can actually call them ! Smile

Last edited by Paul777 on Sun May 02, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddie wrote:
IT HAS ALREADY BEEN DETERMINED that it is my pc. NOT the magicjack.

Sounds to me that you picked up an infection watching the video. Try downloading and running CCleaner and then follow that by downloading Malwarebytes and running that. They should cleanup your virus situation pretty well.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toddie wrote:

Toddie wrote:

Easy.

Its only when watching videos on my browser. the browser is not part of the OS.

Do you think the browser does not rely on any portion of the operating system to function? That's interesting.

As a recent poster said, you may be able to clean a virus, and salvage what's left. Otherwise, we're back to you and your operating system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: