magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ordered a TK6000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Ordered a TK6000 Reply with quote

I'm not usually the early adopter type, because I like other people to serve as the guinea pigs. However, last night I ordered a Tk6000.

I had some minor issues with the web ordering. Like any good sales system, it tries to up-sell you as you go through the process. Do you want additional units as gifts? Do you want extended warranties? Do you want to pay a lump sum and get free shipping? Do you want to pay for customer service? Yes, that last one is true.

So, everything was going fine. They limit you to a total of two units per purchase "due to high demand."

I opted to pay the lump sum, since I'm cheap. It said to expect shipment within 2-3 weeks due to increased demand.

The step where they asked about an extended warranty was a bit confusing to me, only because I've read elsewhere that they sometimes offer promotions.

It read like this:
Quote:

5-Year Extended Warranty

To protect your TK6000 against damage and wear and tear, you have the option of including a 5-year extended replacement warranty for just $19.95. This way if anything should happen to your TK6000 simply send it back and we will either fix it or replace it with no questions and no hassles.

*All of the TK6000 units you order today will automatically be upgraded with a 5-year extended warranty.

For some reason, I kept thinking the asterisk print was implying that for "today," all ordered TK's were automatically receiving the extended warranty (for free), which would have been nice, obviously. A call to their 800 number cleared that question up. What it really meant was that, if I ordered multiple units, and elected the extended warranty, that $20.00 would automatically be applied to my order for each unit to receive the warranty.

I elected to pay the $20.00, because I already know my "lifetime" service is for the "life of the product." I don't want to get into a semantics battle with customer service about what "life of the product" means when my Tk6000 dies after 3 years. Does it mean the physical life of my unit? Does it mean as long as NetTalk supports that device? Better just to guarantee my extra years of hardware life, and hope the company survives long enough to get my money's worth.

Next, it asked me if I wanted to pay for live phone technical support. 2 months free, then $9.95 per month after that. At first I was a bit indignant, since I've heard many praises of NetTalk's superior customer service compared to MJ. Of course it's better! You have to pay for it! However, upon further consideration, I realized it is a good thing. There are those people who want/need that level of support. If they are willing to pay for it, then that helps all of us to keep our "lifetime" service and low price. I'm content with trouble tickets and forum support, so I passed.

Oddly, at the order summary page, it showed an order for 2 units with extended warranties for both, even though I only selected a quantity of one. I think there is a bug in their software. I briefly selected two units on that step of the process, but changed it to 1 before clicking "next." Apparently, the system only recognizes that first change.

It was easy to delete the second unit and warranty at the summary page before clicking the "submit" button.

Both time I've called their 800 order line, the two separate people I spoke to both seemed quite competent about the product in general, and were friendly, though I declined to order over the phone.

Putting up $120.00 for a product with "lifetime" service, when I know the company is not quite firing on all cylinders yet, is not something I'm accustomed to doing. I'll feel cheated, even four years from now, if the company tanks or says "sorry, we are no longer supporting this product, please consider trying our new femtowidget 7000 for a discounted price of $100.00 plus $50 annual fee." etc.

Also, my wife is asking what we're going to do with the MJ. Our MJ service has been outstanding. NetTalk doesn't offer porting in yet, and she refuses to repeat the hassle of telling everyone we know, including friends, clinics, schools, banks, libraries, etc that we have a new number.

I think in the short term, I'll just forward the MJ to the Tk, but keep the MJ for travel, etc. Who knows, I may end up extending the MJ license if it proves useful in that capacity. If/when NetTalk allows porting, I'll consider killing off the MJ by taking its number.

Ultimately, what swayed me to try the Tk, was:

-Direct router connection (no brainer)
-Promise of "lifetime" service
-Made in USA. Having been raised as the son of an auto worker, in an area of the country that has seen countless factories converted into luxury condos, I'm a sucker for the old "Made in USA" appeal.

I'll try to keep you posted.

Last edited by Nobody beats the Whiz! on Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
onlyme
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I still like my MJ better, I hope that the TK improves in time, The TK I have I ordered for a friend because he didnt have a credot card. He paid me up front and right befor it got here he and his wife split, he moved to Ohio and told me to keep the unit so I lucked out and ended up getting mine free. I like it but there are no local numbers for my area yet and it drops calls when I call Alaska and it stutters from time to time (cuts in and out) TK tech support is still working on that. I love that it doesnt need a computer to run. Hopefully in the future the bugs will disappear like they did with my MJ.

Keep us posted on how you like it.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyme wrote:
So far I still like my MJ better, I hope that the TK improves in time, The TK I have I ordered for a friend because he didnt have a credot card. He paid me up front and right befor it got here he and his wife split, he moved to Ohio and told me to keep the unit so I lucked out and ended up getting mine free. I like it but there are no local numbers for my area yet and it drops calls when I call Alaska and it stutters from time to time (cuts in and out) TK tech support is still working on that. I love that it doesnt need a computer to run. Hopefully in the future the bugs will disappear like they did with my MJ.

Keep us posted on how you like it.

Lucky you with the free TK! Thanks for the heads up on their current technical issues.

I know I'm putting myself out there a bit by plunking a hundred bucks down as an early adopter. My order number is a very low 33XX! That seems to mean only 3300 or so TK orders have been taken. Like I have said in another post, their network hasn't really been tested. Could you imagine 10k+ orders per day, like MJ? I think they'd be swamped.

That said, I'm hopeful that the Tk is functional, and the company successful.
MagicJackLover
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max order for TK6000 is 3 per household along with a crap load of restrctions, I suggest reading their terms of service first. Then read magicjack.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJackLover wrote:
Max order for TK6000 is 3 per household along with a crap load of restrctions, I suggest reading their terms of service first. Then read magicjack.

I already am a MJ user.

As for a limit of 3, whoop dee doo. Rolling Eyes

That's a temporary per-order restriction due to difficulties meeting current demand.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiz! - If I remember correctly, you have ooma, TK6000, and MJ and you like the TK6000 best. Would you care to elaborate? If I don't get my two MJ's working properly soon, I may have to order the TK6000.

Apologies if you've already answered this but I didn't remember seeing why you preferred one over the others. Thank you.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
Whiz! - If I remember correctly, you have ooma, TK6000, and MJ and you like the TK6000 best. Would you care to elaborate? If I don't get my two MJ's working properly soon, I may have to order the TK6000.

Apologies if you've already answered this but I didn't remember seeing why you preferred one over the others. Thank you.

Hey Darkman,

I kind of broke it down at on this post:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/anyone-hear-of-this-mj-like-but-ata-device-t7143-120.html

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I remembered some of your original post but not all the finer points. That helps a lot.
surfzombie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a TK600 for almost a week now and I am NOT impressed. They have very limited number to choose from. I got a semi close number. It is in my area code but still long distance for my neighbors and sounding area. The call quality is good but I have never had voice mail since I got it because they are working on it or something. All calls are 11-digit dialing which I think sucks but can live with to save money. It's O.K. but the Magicjack with the added Magicfeatures is AWESOME. I have 7-digit dialing and my MJ is just working to GREAT right now. That is what I am using for my whole house phone system and just have a single phone plugged into the TK600. Conclusion: I like them both but right now I prefer the magicjack over the tk6000 because of the magicfeatures plug-in.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the plunge and ordered one. I hope it doesn't take 3 weeks to get here but if it does it's not the end of the world. I read on crunchgears site that nettalk just received 5 mil in capital so they should be around long enough for me to at least have some fun with this. With the femtocell coming out and MJ not adding any new features (ever) it's time to give another provider a try. Ooma seems tempting but $250 is way to steep and the telo seems to have it's own set of problems (power cord and headset issues) so nettalk wins my latest "toy" purchase.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
Well I took the plunge and ordered one. I hope it doesn't take 3 weeks to get here but if it does it's not the end of the world. I read on crunchgears site that nettalk just received 5 mil in capital so they should be around long enough for me to at least have some fun with this. With the femtocell coming out and MJ not adding any new features (ever) it's time to give another provider a try. Ooma seems tempting but $250 is way to steep and the telo seems to have it's own set of problems (power cord and headset issues) so nettalk wins my latest "toy" purchase.

Personally, I think you're making a good choice. It still has some kinks to be worked out, but you can see that progress is being made.

The Ooma Core (Hub) is solid, but I don't like its large size, and Ooma's feature structure. They really want you to subscribe to the Premier service (which I admit is good for long-term viability). They do justifiably make some of their unique features Premier-only, such as the ability to screen your incoming voicemails similar to an answering machine, and their blacklist functions. However, I guess I've been spoiled by MJ and NT, because it ticks me off that "basic" features such as 3WC, Call Forwarding, Multi-Ring, vmail to email, etc. are premier-only features. I'm a cheapskate, however.

Recent reports of shipping time put the wait at between 1 and 2 weeks, some sooner. I had to wait the full three weeks, due to the rush of orders after they started the "lifetime" offer.

Please keep us posted on the experience.
surfzombie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine tool about two weeks to arrive.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking about this for 2 month's. While I have not yet received MJ's latest upgrade on my main MJ the latest upgrades made me consider the tk6000. It seems that these upgrades do not enhance MJ's service but just make it harder for people to get their sip credentials. MJ is still rock solid for me but they always seem to find a way to mess things up. The beeping from the upgrade last summer and the fact they actually had to issue a downgrade earlier this year makes the tk purchase seem reasonable to me. The guys over at tk seem like a good group of people who sincerely try to make a customer satisfied and this is probably the biggest factor in my deciding to purchase one.
donschjr
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine on the 3rd, card was charged on the 5th and according to their website it shipped on the 10th. I'm still waiting for delivery and the tracking the website provides says no information check back later.
surfzombie
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There order tracking is a joke. It said the same thing on mine and even the day I received it it said the same thing. Maybe I shouldgo check it now and see if they ever updated it.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my tk today and was up and running in a few minutes. I've made a few test calls and the quality is just as good if not better than MJ so far. This is an interesting device MJ better be worried if nettalk ever gets into the retail outlets like they are.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
I received my tk today and was up and running in a few minutes. I've made a few test calls and the quality is just as good if not better than MJ so far. This is an interesting device MJ better be worried if nettalk ever gets into the retail outlets like they are.

Good news, Sabresfan. I hope it works well for you.
donschjr
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my TK 3 days ago and am amazed at how much better the quality of the phone calls is. I haven't had the keep alive problem so I'm pretty happy with it so far and will probably be retiring my MJ and switching to the TK soon as my primary home line.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only been a few hours but I have not had the keep alive problem either. I have made about a dozen test calls and all have been completed without a problem. I'm gonna keep MJ up and running for now. It runs much better on an ata. If my TK can continue to perform like this I'm gonna grab a couple of early Christmas presents and get a head start.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A two week update on my TK and so far all is running smooth. Calls sound good and nettalk seems to be stable. I have MJ and TK running and both run well. TK still has some problems to get worked out with their network (no voicemail yet and I did have to power cycle my TK once) but overall I'm pleased with the service so far.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabresfan wrote:
A two week update on my TK and so far all is running smooth. Calls sound good and nettalk seems to be stable. I have MJ and TK running and both run well. TK still has some problems to get worked out with their network (no voicemail yet and I did have to power cycle my TK once) but overall I'm pleased with the service so far.

Good news. Glad to hear it's working out!

I am certainly happy with mine, too.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just short of a 2 month update now and have not any problems in well over a month. I have faxed numerous times with my TK and all have gone through so far. Their voicemail is not up yet but if you have a googlevoice account or an old MJ that's still active your not using then it's covered. I have only had to powercycle my TK twice so far and that was back in early April. I have had calls go from a few minutes to about 20 minutes and sound clear so far. Other users report some problems but so far this has been much simpler to use than when I first bought my MJ. It's not a completely free of trouble service (what voip service is) but I'm very pleased overall with it's performance so far.
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn ... I did not know I stumbled into the TK6000 forum and with my same username and password as in the Unofficial magicJack forum ...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by conniemadagain on Tue May 25, 2010 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
Damn ... I did not know I stumbled into the TK6000 forum and with my same username and password as in the Unofficial magicJack forum ...

Damn, I wonder if they have a User Lounge section of the TK6000 forum you stumbled into, that is for "Off topic talk about anything and everything."
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think the:

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:

Damn, I wonder if they have a User Lounge section of the TK6000 forum you stumbled into, that is for "Off topic talk about anything and everything."
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
Why do you think the... [LOL's]

I saw that, but didn't find it funny. There was neither clever use of irony, nor a humorous punchline, therefore it didn't pass my patented joke test.

Instead, it seemed to be used as an excuse to be snide.

The real irony was that it seemed you were attempting to mock someone for off-topic posting in a place where it is welcomed.

That is funny on different level.

On the other hand, it may have been an honest bad joke. I've been known to make them, myself.

In that case, I apologize for drawing attention to it
Wink
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:

Just giving folks an update. I get a few pm's every now and again asking me about using a TK so it's just easier to give an update when you have some spare time every now and then. Cool
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honest bad joke???

never happen ... Laughing

we need to work on your "patented joke test" ...

Twisted Evil

for the record ... don't care what any one uses for their phone ...

hate the one post wonders asking for help and when they get it they never reply ... lame!!!

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:
Why do you think the... [LOL's]

I saw that, but didn't find it funny. There was neither clever use of irony, nor a humorous punchline, therefore it didn't pass my patented joke test.

Instead, it seemed to be used as an excuse to be snide.

The real irony was that it seemed you were attempting to mock someone for off-topic posting in a place where it is welcomed.

That is funny on different level.

On the other hand, it may have been an honest bad joke. I've been known to make them, myself.

In that case, I apologize for drawing attention to it
Wink
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: if the price was cheeper for the 6000 I would try it ... i'm just to cheeeeeeeeeeep!!!!
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
PS: if the price was cheeper for the 6000 I would try it ... i'm just to cheeeeeeeeeeep!!!!

I am a fellow cheapskate. Wink

I love my cheap and trusty MJ. I bought the TK to simplify my setup, and allow me to turn my cpu off at night (save $$), without going the thin client route.

My MJ is still my primary incoming line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: