magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open source alternative to Geek Squad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Open source alternative to Geek Squad? Reply with quote

Hi forum,
I've read quite a few threads on here from brilliant people so I figured I should be able to get an experienced response. I am looking for an open source toolset with similar capabilities of the Geek Squad MRI disk. I would love a linux distro centered around this type of computer maintenance. USB bootable and updatable so I wouldn't have to update definitions each boot. Looking to start making money with my computer knowledge and free right now is about all I can afford Smile Thanks for the help ahead of time.
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard the saying "it takes money to make money"??? You may want to invest just a few dollars in some diagnostic harware.

I do not have a complete MRI replacement solution, but you can download Dr.Web Free Boot Disk for virus removal. Write the ISO to a CD, boot from CD, run the update and run the scan. You can even create a bootable USB stick once you've booted from CD. It works well and it's free!!!
newtoncd
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Open source alternative to Geek Squad? Reply with quote

Poo619 wrote:
Hi forum,
I've read quite a few threads on here from brilliant people so I figured I should be able to get an experienced response. I am looking for an open source toolset with similar capabilities of the Geek Squad MRI disk. I would love a linux distro centered around this type of computer maintenance. USB bootable and updatable so I wouldn't have to update definitions each boot. Looking to start making money with my computer knowledge and free right now is about all I can afford Smile Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I haven't see the Geek Squad disk but the following work nicely for me ... and they meet your cost requirement .... free:

Hirens Boot Disk
Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows
Ultimate Boot CD
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info, it is much appreciated. I do know money tends to make money, but so do well prepared, properly experienced people. I knew I could get great info and tools that were readily available for nothing (software). Here is what I used. It is an application called http://www.sarducd.it/. It links you to many free tools, virus malware boot disks linux distros. It then creates a boot menu and allows you to boot any of the distros it supports. Its exactly what I was looking for in a software solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: