magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ooma Telo on sale today $139.99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Ooma Telo on sale today $139.99 Reply with quote

Ooma Telo's on sale today http://www.woot.com/ I picked one up. Altogether it cost $145 with shipping. I figured I needed a new toy to play around with. Once I get it up and running I will put my MJ, TK and Telo to the test and compare them. Currently both MJ and TK give me great call quality so hopefully as others have stated Ooma's call quality blows both of these away so I guess I will hopefully know within about 2 weeks.

Last edited by sabresfan on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At $145 it should run circles around all the others combined ...

Laughing
lcompton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ooma Telo on sale today $139.99 Reply with quote

Good morning, sabresfan.

sabresfan wrote:
Ooma Telo's on sale today http://www.woot.com/ I picked one up. Altogether it cost $145 with shipping. I figured I needed a new toy to play around with. Once I get it up and running I will put my MJ, TK and Telo to the test and compare them. Currently both MJ and TK give me great call quality so hopefully as others have stated Ooma's call quality blows both of these away so I guess I will hopefully know with about 2 weeks.

I saw this deal, too. I almost pulled the trigger on it in anticipation of the demise of the free Obi110 <�> Google Voice solution. Then, I discovered that Ooma service isn't free. That surprised me because I was under the impression that, after the initial capital investment for hardware, Ooma was free for life. Confused

Good luck with your Ooma!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was even discussed in the discussion section on WOOT for todays sale.
About $3.50 a month which is a tad more than a Net Talk Duo will cost you a year and more than double a MJ yearly cost.
Still a good deal if Ooma is as good as others have said. However since they make the bulk of their money selling the hardware at SOME point they will have sold most of it and then where will their revenue come from?
Right now seems like your way, OBi110 is the way to go. As long as it still works with GV of course... Actually a MJ for $20 a yr and the OBi seem to be a good combo..One as a backup for the other.. Well to me anyway. Now if Amazon would just lower the damn price back to $50.

Last edited by bitstopjoe on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $3.50 or so a month doesn't bother me for 911 and taxes. I was thinking about getting the Obi but already have an ata and a couple of ways to make GV calls for free. My TK outgoing caller id shows as my GV number (got this back when they would change this for users), I have an sipsorcery account and use GVOut. I'm more interested in seeing if the hype about Ooma's call quality is really that good. Also if it blows MJ away I would like to try and port one of my MJ numbers over to them. The 716 MJ number I have for family in NY to call me is actually an easy number to remember and it would be a shame to let MJ hold on to it.
lcompton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening, sabresfan.

sabresfan wrote:
The $3.50 or so a month doesn't bother me for 911 and taxes. I was thinking about getting the Obi but already have an ata and a couple of ways to make GV calls for free. My TK outgoing caller id shows as my GV number (got this back when they would change this for users), I have an sipsorcery account and use GVOut. I'm more interested in seeing if the hype about Ooma's call quality is really that good. Also if it blows MJ away I would like to try and port one of my MJ numbers over to them. The 716 MJ number I have for family in NY to call me is actually an easy number to remember and it would be a shame to let MJ hold on to it.

Does Ooma have any call caps of which you're aware? They want USD3.47/month for my ZIP code, which is less costly than the USD5.00/month Skype wants with their 6-hour/50-number daily call cap.

One thing to keep in mind is that if these things are showing up on Woot! as refurbished units then a pretty large group of subscribers didn't find Ooma all it was cracked up to be. Just saying...
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per their TOS: "Lack of continuous conversation, unusual calling patterns, excessive caller and calling destinations and/or excessive usage (e.g. 5,000 minutes per base unit per month or more) will be considered as indicators that your use of the Equipment may be inconsistent with normal residential usage."

It seems they rushed the Telo hardware out before it was ready, a year or two ago, and they had many warranty returns. Since then, it seems they've fixed the issues on new units, and that may also be why there are so many refurbs being pushed out.

I've got the old hardware, which was grandfathered with no monthly tax/fees. Wink I like it, it's solid.
lcompton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening Whiz.

Nobody beats the Whiz! wrote:
Per their TOS: "Lack of continuous conversation, unusual calling patterns, excessive caller and calling destinations and/or excessive usage (e.g. 5,000 minutes per base unit per month or more) will be considered as indicators that your use of the Equipment may be inconsistent with normal residential usage."

This is handy information to have. I went looking for terms-of-use at ooma.com, but couldn't find anything.

5,000 minutes (83 hours and 20 minutes/month or two hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds per day) isn't very generous, unfortunately. On the other hand, at least Ooma doesn't have any per-call caps, which is pretty nice.

It seems they rushed the Telo hardware out before it was ready, a year or two ago, and they had many warranty returns. Since then, it seems they've fixed the issues on new units, and that may also be why there are so many refurbs being pushed out.

That's certainly possible. I do know that Woot! doesn't generally sell refurbished units unless they can buy a large quantity of stock (in the thousands), which is a lot of returns in my opinion. When the Woot! is over, they'll disclose the total number of units sold.

I've got the old hardware, which was grandfathered with no monthly tax/fees. Wink I like it, it's solid.

Lucky bum! On the other hand, you probably paid top dollar for the hardware. Weren't they selling for USD250.00 back then?

I'm going to hold off on buying one. The OBi110 <�> Google Voice solution is functioning ridiculously well for USD0.00/annum. If/when Google moves on to a revenue-generating model, we'll see what they decide to charge. This solution may be worth paying for when the dust settles. I haven't found anything even close to the functionality and value the OBi110 <�> Google Voice solution offers.

The Woot! deal on the Ooma is about 25% off retail new at Amazon.com, which is selling the Ooma Telo for USD199.99 with no tax or shipping charges. So, if the Ooma turned out to be a sweet deal, another USD55.00 capital outlay wouldn't likely sour it too much.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree they rushed the telo out before it was ready. These days I see more good than bad said about the quality of these so I figure why not. Also seeing a commercial on fox business channel the other day is also a good sign to me. I will also look into the mobile app to use with my droid2. The biggest reason to try it out though is to see if the call quality is really that great. Besides MJ imho has seen better days and if Dan doesn't come out with an ata type device soon he's gonna get left behind the competition.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely use my Ooma; it's a backup to other backups. Wink

I got a deal on the old hardware during a Black Friday promotion, but still ended up paying ~$180.00, IIRC. I know it would take a long time to make that cost back, compared to MJ and NT (or impossible against your OBi110 <�> Google Voice solution), but it's another fun tech toy to have around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: