magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official BEEPING troubleshooting thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthernCheer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: beeping chattering noise and connection broken on one en Reply with quote

Pete Gannon wrote:
I had the problem of disconnection after a chattering noise (beeping, etc). Sometimes it was after just a few minutes. Sometimes after 20 or 25 minutes. After reading the Tech Support Info on changing my Power Management settings for the USB Root Hubs, I went into Control Panel and de-clicked the box - 'Allow Computer to turn off this Device to conserve power.' Now the phone is much more clear and , so far, has not gone to chattering at all even after a half hour call. Thank you! Love my Magic Jack

Well, the new magic jack hasn't stopped the audio problems for me.
I have a Mac Mini.
I wonder how I can try what you have done?
What I don't understand is that I had no trouble the first year with the same computer......so changing a setting like that doesn't make sense to me.
I love the magic jack also, lol...
I am NOT giving up till I find the solution.
Pete Gannon
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Chattering, beeping noise continues Reply with quote

Sad to say that mine seemed fixed for about a day and then started doing it again! I'm going to try using a powered phone to see if that helps. Very disappointing.
JSD
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Beeping in MJ Reply with quote

I'm a recent user of MJ and I have had the beeping problem also. That's how I found this forum.

I am an Apple user and I find the tech support of MJ to be severely inept in finding the solution.

I have discovered that the beeping is coming from the my software key pad. While on a call, I can see random numbers dialed, one at a time and randomly. I can be on a call for 10 minutes and have no beep or 1 min and get a beep. It is something in their software and it has to do with random dialing. It has nothing to do with volume or our sound cards... IMHO. We must continue to complain. By the looks of this feed, this problem is over a year old. That is not good.

Any help out there for mac users?

thanks
JSD
yuji22
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same same problem with my Mac. I just ditched my PC and started using a Mac. I never had this problem when the MJ was connected to the PC.
hokies1999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Other party hears a beep on the line Reply with quote

My MJ worked great for three mos (apr, may & jun of 2010). Now I have a case of the beeps! MJ really should fix this... Rolling Eyes
techineer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Beeping - possible hypothesis Reply with quote

We have more trouble with beeps during a female voice conversation.

I suspect that the MJ is listening to the line for the touchtone frequencies and when it 'thinks' it hears one it regenerates the tone. It is odd that the person speaking doesn't hear it.

I do hope that MJ tech support is actively working on the problem. It is a major irritation.
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beeping - possible hypothesis Reply with quote

techineer wrote:
It is odd that the person speaking doesn't hear it.

It's not that odd when you consider the fact that a person pushes a button to send a tone out, and not to listen to.

Consider also, that the software "assumes" you pressed a local button on your phone, so you should have heard your own beep. Then, when it hears what it thinks is the tone of a button press, it tries to relay it on down the line. There would be no need to provide a feedback beep to the initiator.
JOFTAA
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I have either missed the solution posted, or there is not one posted. If I missed it, please give me a hint as to where it is.

I am using a SPA2102 and do not have the MJ anywhere near my computer. Nor do I run the MJ software or softphone. There is no way the beeping problem that I am experiencing is coming from the MJ/softphone.

At first, I do not hear the beeping. The person I am speaking to asks about the beeping. As the conversation continues, I can start to hear the beep as well.

What is up with the beep?

Thanks.
andrewhalladay
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Survey and Petition Reply with quote

Hello all ye fellow beeping sufferers,

I know we're all hoping that magicJack has taken the initiative themselves to work on fixing this obvious software glitch. However, has anyone taken the time to officially complain to the corporate office? Their customer service has no way to address this issue, clearly, and no one has been able to figure out a sure fire hardware fix for the problem.

I think it would be valuable for all of us to unite in an assertive complaint. Companies generally like to keep a good reputation, and if the public is giving them a bad rap, then they usually take measures to resolve their failing credibility. Take Apple and the recent iPhone antenna issue, for example.

If magicJack's issue is truly just a software issue, it could cost as little as one coder's salary to fix everyone's problems. Way cheaper than having to buy everyone a new phone case, that's for sure.

The fact is, I would recommend magicJack to everyone if it wasn't for this simple, stupid, annoying glitch in their system. Right now, I tell everyone "Well, it's cheap, and you get what you pay for." Not well on their way to being "the fastest growing Telecom company in the World" as they aspire to be.

Here's a survey I created
http://bit.ly/9VZ9dV

and a petition
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/magicjack/

Help make magicJack take this issue seriously!
newtoncd
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOFTAA wrote:
So far, I have either missed the solution posted, or there is not one posted. If I missed it, please give me a hint as to where it is.

I am using a SPA2102 and do not have the MJ anywhere near my computer. Nor do I run the MJ software or softphone. There is no way the beeping problem that I am experiencing is coming from the MJ/softphone.

At first, I do not hear the beeping. The person I am speaking to asks about the beeping. As the conversation continues, I can start to hear the beep as well.

What is up with the beep?

Thanks.

When I used my PAP2T-NA, the following seemed to fix the beeps:

Set DTMFTx method to: VAT (default is auto)
DTMFTx mode: Strict (default is Strict)
FXSPort Input Gain: -6
FXSPortOutputGain: -8
DTMF Playback Level: -16
DTMF Playback Length: -1
MattInLA
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This beeping is a nightmare. MJ is unusable. ARE YOU LISTENING DAN BORISLOW? MJ IS JUNK.
brad h
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Maybe it's fixed? Reply with quote

I like andrewhalladay's idea. But wait... maybe it's fixed?! Yesterday when I got home and picked up my phone there was no dial tone. I went to the PC and there was a message on the MJ panel that said " don't dial out you will be receiving an important update in the next 60 seconds". An hour later it had not done the update nor did I have my dial tone back. I re-booted the PC and MJ proceeded to do it's update and took away the message.

Today I have not had a single beep! None! Zip! Nada! Usually I can count on at least one beep every minute I am on the phone (usually many more). But today - none!

I notice they are doing heavy TV advertising lately and telling you to get one at Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walgreens, etc. Could it be that one or more of these large retailers has had massive returns and therefore have given MJ a warning? I hope so! They really needed a swift kick in the ass if you ask me!

Anyone else get this update? Did it solve your problem? If not, let's do as andrew suggested and let MJ know that we are NOT happy campers!
johnccc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Beeping Reply with quote

Is anybody still having this problem-- I am, and it is driving me crazy!
brad h
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Still beeping Reply with quote

I am still having the problem but to a much lessor degree. In a one hour call I will now get from 1 to 5 beeps - about half what it was before - but still unacceptable as far as I am concerned. I am starting to look into other VOIP choices. Any comment on these?
johnccc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Still Beeping Reply with quote

I never hear the beeps but the person on the other end of the line usually says that it 2 or 3 per minute. And asks me to repeat, "didn't hear you your phone beeped". !!!

I've read a little about settings in a PAPT (?) or other units that mitigate the problem (instead of using the PC and MJ software). I am probably competent to go down that road but it looks like it would be a "project", that I'm not sure I want to...

I bought my dongle in 2007 but only really started trying to use it early this year. I'm wondering if I have an "early version" of the dongle hardware that is more afflicted by this.

Anybody have any suggestions?
kellster
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Simple MJ Beeping Fix! Reply with quote

HI!
I'm happy to say that my MJ has stopped beeping! After a two+ hour live chat with MJ, here is the simple fix:

-have your MJ application on before you contact MJ live chat.
-from the magicjack site, start a live chat.
-request that the agent 'reset dtmf sensitivity' on their end. (you will need to give them your MJ phone number for this)
-the agent will have you restart the MJ.

That's it!

So far, I've dialed out once and had someone dial me once, both calls of 10 minutes and no beeping. YAY!

I've included the content of the (LONG) live chat below. You'll notice I had to be transferred a couple of time before I got to the person with the solution. Probably best to just skip to the end, to the chat with the agent called 'Hero'.

Aloha,
Kelly

You are now chatting with 'Joan'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK43605370172X
Joan: Hello, how may I help you?
kelly: HI!
Joan: Hi Kelly.
kelly: Like many people, I'm experiencing a lot of beeping (as are the people I call) and it's shrill and frustrating. I've noticed that while on non-magic jack site forums there are up to thirty pages of discussions around how to fix this, on the magic jack site there is nothing at all listed about this problem (in technical issues section) which is shocking, given that everyone I know with a magic jack has this problem.
kelly: My request is for the fix and also for it to be posted on the technical issues section to help others.
Joan: Can you make calls to other phone numbers?
kelly: yes, the mj functions fine in all respects. actually i rarely call other mjs...the problem of beeping seems to happen whether its a landline or cell.
Joan: May I have at least 3 phone numbers that you cannot make calls in magicjack pelase?
kelly: (no idea if it also happens calling another mj since I don't do that)
kelly: I CAN make calls to ALL numbers that I dial. It works fine, except that there is the addition of annoying beeping while talking to the person.
Joan: Please wait while I check that for you
kelly: thanks
Joan: One moment please...
Joan: Thank you for waiting.
Joan: May I have your magicjack phone number please?
kelly: Here is a URL with many pages discussing this issue. no one seems to have a decisive answer yet.
kelly: [url]http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/official-beeping-troubleshooting-thread-t6439.html[/url]
kelly: (phone number deleted)
kelly: (ps my MJ has been upgraded with the latest upgrade as of today).
Joan: Thank you.
kelly: Are you still there?
Joan: Yes
kelly: great.
Joan: Still checking...
Joan: Please wait.
kelly: ok, thanks!
Joan: You are welcome.
Joan: Thank you for waiting.
Joan: Do you see the dial pad on your screen?
kelly: yes
Joan: On your dial pad, please clickmenu>advanced users>restart
kelly: ok, it's restarted.
Joan: Please try to place a test call.
kelly: ok
Joan: Let see if it works now.
kelly: on a call now, just checking.
Joan: Okay.
kelly: I just had someone call me, cause it's usually worse when I receive calls..
Joan: Please click Apple menu at the top-right corner of the screen and choose "System Preferences."
Joan: Please open �Security�; then click on the �Firewall� tab
kelly: ok, the setting is at 'allow all incoming connections'.
Joan: Please unplug your magicjack and plug in to other USB port.
kelly: I have done this before, many times, and the beeping exists even if I do this.
Joan: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Roxy'
Roxy: Hello Kelly. My name is Roxy. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat/s. Thank you.
Roxy: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Roxy: Open task manager ( to open task manager window, press control + alt + delete on your keyboard at the same time ) and click the tab named processes. Locate and end the following processes: UTSCSI, NEWNET_SETUP, MAGICJACKSPLASH, MJSETUP, MAGICJACK, and MAGICJACKLOADER. If one or several of these are not listed, do not worry.
kelly: I"m on a Mac..
Roxy: I see.
kelly: is there a different command to open something like a task manager?
Roxy: Click Apple Icon, select "System Preferences" and click on " Network ".
kelly: done.
Roxy: Thanks.
Roxy: Please hold on the shift key on your keyboard while unplugging your magicJack for 15 seconds then plug it back again after.
Roxy: Click Apple Icon, select "System Preferences" and click on " Network ".
kelly: done
Roxy: Please click on your active connection.
Roxy: Click on advanced tab.
kelly: ok done
Roxy: Please click on DNS servers.
kelly: done
Roxy: Please type in 67.90.152.122 then click on apply. Then type in 67.107.71.186. Click apply and OK
kelly: they are already both there
Roxy: Okay.
Roxy: One moment please...
Roxy: Open the Safari Browser.
Roxy: Hover the pointer into the word "Safari"
Roxy: Select "Preferences"
Roxy: Click on Security Tab.
kelly: ok done
Roxy: Under Web Content: UNCHECK the box besides "Block pop-up Windows"
kelly: ok, done. (but I don't want pop ups!)
Roxy: Okay.
Roxy: You can change the settings after five minutes.
Roxy: Then on cookies check the word always.
Roxy: Thanks.
kelly: I assume I can change that back in a few minutes, I don't want to 'always' accept all cookies.
Roxy: yes.
Roxy: Click Apple Icon, select "System Preferences" and click on Security.
kelly: yep, still there.
There may be a problem communicating with Roxy. Please wait while your chat is transferred to another operator.
You are now chatting with 'Hero'
kelly: hi
Hero: Hello Kelly. My name is Hero. To better assist you, let me put you on hold while I read your previous chat/s. Thank you.
Hero: Is your magicjack currently plugged in?
Hero: I will be right with you.
Hero: May I have your magicJack phone number, please?
kelly: (deleted) (it was included in the chat already...)
Hero: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Hero: Thank you for the information.
Hero: Let me refresh your connection here in our end.
Hero: Please hold.
Hero: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
Hero: To take effect the changes that I made here, please restart your magicJack dial pad by going through MENU>ADVANCED USER>RESTART.
kelly: it's been restarted.
Hero: Is it done?
Hero: Please try to make a call now.
kelly: generally the beeping is worse when people call me. sometimes it can take 10 minutes before the beeping starts.
Hero: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Hero: Please contact someone from your contact list and let him/her call you back to check if the problem still exist.
kelly: Can you describe for me which changes you made on your end? I would like to have this information, so that if my friends call (with the same problem) then they can tell the technical person what the fix is... save them time...I've been on this chat for about two hours now so far and you're the third person I've talked to...)
Hero: I did refresh your connection here.
Hero: That resets magicJack settings.
kelly: thanks! So I installed the most recent upgrade, changed my security preferences on both the computer and the internet browser, and you refreshed my connection. Do you know which one of these is the best for fixing this? Or do all things need to happen.
Hero: If I refresh your connection here, you don't need to install the upgrade software for the magicjack.
kelly: ok, thanks.
kelly: So it's been about 8 minutes on this call and so far no beeping.
Hero: You are most welcome.
Hero: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
kelly: I"m wondering if you could post in the troubleshooting section of the magic jack website, this solution, since MANY people have this issue. It will save a lot of time for people if they just know to do a chat and get their connection refreshed on your end.
kelly: I"m also wondering if this can be added to your procedures for the troubleshooting with the agents (so that the chat doesn't need to be escalated to fix the problem, and so that people like me won't have to go though lengthy, unnecessary steps.
Hero: It is not posted in the Websites since this can be done through our end only.
kelly: Yes, but people need to know that it is fixable if they do call in.
Hero: You can simply ask the agent to reset dtmf sensitivity.
kelly: As a reminder, there are thirty pages of posts on this topic alone on the website I mentioned earlier (unoffical magic jack troubleshooting). So many people have this issue. This is what I recommend: listing 'beeping' as an MJ problem, and stating this as the solution: 'Contact MJ by live chat and 'simply ask the agent to reset dtmf sensitivity'. This would really help! (I've had this problem for many months, but this problem was not acknowledged on the MJ site as a technical issue...didn't know that the fix was so easy! MANY people will be happy with you for posting this one line as an ACKNOWLEGEMENT that this is a fixable problem.
Hero: Alright, I understand you, Kelly. No worries, we will try to suggest this to our proper department post such fix in our FAQs.
Hero: We do value you as our customer and we are doing everything to serve you best.
kelly: THANK YOU! I really appreciate it.
Hero: My pleasure assisting you.
kelly: Wishing you a wonderful day, and thanks again for your help.
Hero: You are most welcome.
Hero: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "CLOSE" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again! Have a great night!
kelly: My partner's mJ does the same thing
kelly: can you possibly reset his as well?
Hero: Yes, may I have his magicJack phone number?
kelly: Thanks its (deleted)
Hero: Alright. Please hold.
kelly: happily holding
Hero: Thank you.
Hero: Is the magicJack currently plugged in?
Hero: Please restart your magicJack dial pad by going through MENU>ADVANCED USER>RESTART.
kelly: ok, done
Hero: Alright.
Hero: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
kelly: no, that's it! Thanks a million! And thanks for doing what you can to post this fix on the MJ technical issues part of the site.
kelly: cheers!
Hero: My pleasure assisting you.
Hero: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the"CLOSE" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again! Have a great night!
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on previous disappointments documented all over this forum, I am a bit skeptical that MJ have developed a true fix for the "beeping" issue. If they had invested time and money in it, you would think they would have pushed out the fix to everybody or at least make users more aware of it on their website.

I hope I am wrong but my guess is that they simply turned off the PIN dialing feature that used to be visible for customers to turn on and off themselves in the my.magicjack.com account interface.

Previously, if you turned off the PIN dialing feature it did stop the beeping problem. The direct side effect of turning off the PIN dialing feature was however a show stopper for many users. By turning it off users could no longer reliably use PIN dialing (DTMF entry) after a call was established for navigating voice response menus from their phone keypad (i.e. Press 0 to reach a customer service representative).

The only simple way to know if that is how they resolved your issue is to see if you can still consistently and reliably navigate various voice menus using your phone keypad over a reasonable number of test calls.
Dfdo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Beeping gone with DTMF Reset requet Reply with quote

I too had the beeping problem lately.

I called and specifically asked them to do the 'DTMF Sensitivity Reset' at their end which seems taken care of the problem. They also wanted me to run the latest update.exe from the web address avlbl for that purpose.

They also wanted me to do the following which makes the PC allow more processing power to background services. It is ok with me since I am using a dedicated PC just to run my MJ. I am not sure how that change from programs to b/g services would affect a regular PC use + MJ.

*** Control Panel-->System-->Advanced-->Settings (under performance)-->Advanced-->Processor Scheduling-->Check Background Svcs-->Apply-->ok

I tested my DTMF input by calling cpl of my cr cards which seems functioning ok ...so far so good.
May be just until the next **** YOU! update...I guess!!
johnccc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple MJ Beeping Fix! Reply with quote

kellster wrote:
HI!
I'm happy to say that my MJ has stopped beeping! After a two+ hour live chat with MJ, here is the simple fix:

-request that the agent 'reset dtmf sensitivity' on their end. (you will need to give them your MJ phone number for this)

YES! THANK YOU! I did the same thing and it seems to have worked!! (A couple hours of phone calls with NO beeps!)

Cheers,
John
tricia995
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple MJ Beeping Fix! Reply with quote

kellster wrote:
HI!

That's it!

Thank you so much for sharing this! We've had this problem for quite some time, it just kept getting worse and worse. My husband was already on with MJ for a half hr when I found this site. I told him to have the technician do what you suggested and sure enough, it worked!! I just had a 15 min conversation and no beeps!!

I hope more people stumble upon this post, no doubt there are plenty more people having the same problem.

Thanks again!

Tricia
Very Happy
daniel devereaux
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: line noise - garbled calls and/or clicking sounds on a call Reply with quote

Window's firewall and a home routers have a built-in firewall. MJ uses ports 5060 and 5070 to send and recieve UDP Voip packets. If you open those 2 ports in your windows firewall and your home router - your call quality will improve sharply (from my experience).
fudrom
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an agent 'reset dtmf sensitivity' on my MJ with no luck in resolving the phone beeping problem.

Any other ideas? I guess when something is too good to be true, it usually is. This sucks.
drd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: "beep" problem Reply with quote

I spent time online with an agent months ago including doing a 'reset dtmf sensitivity' and still have the problem. I wish there was an option to disable dtmf after connecting. That would at least band-aid the problem.

DrD
forcedfx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I dropped my MJ subscription a LONG time ago and I'm amazed that people are still having this problem.
Katharyn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forcedfx wrote:
Wow, I dropped my MJ subscription a LONG time ago and I'm amazed that people are still having this problem.

I gave up and set my billing to not renew since I CANNOT USE this magicjack due to this beeping. I cannot believe in this day and age that ANYONE would run a business and make customer support virtually impossible to deal with.

MagicJack is a piece of dung. The person who runs MagicJack must be king dung.
Katharyn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Simple MJ Beeping Fix! Reply with quote

kellster wrote:
HI!
I'm happy to say that my MJ has stopped beeping! After a two+ hour live chat with MJ, here is the simple fix: <.....>

AND it turns out to NOT be a valid fix. (More like a KLUDGE!)

My point.
tfs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried and tried and tried.... lousy stinking beeping is not possible to use. Chat after chat after chat.... (who runs a business that way?).

Long story short... returned this piece of junk. I refuse to "chat" with another automaton that can read a script. If I ran that company the beep would be fixed next version. Too bad.
CPUjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: I am a new MJ+ customer 9/22 order, and spent days on chat.. Reply with quote

Still no resolution to beeping problem.

Always from outside caller to MJ+ never hear dialing tones from inside MJ house. More prevalent when direct connected to router than to PC. Setting up MJ+ with manual IP, and adding it as a DMZ, nor adding port forwarding of 5070 and 5080 UDP fixed the issue completely. Having MJ+ support reset "DTMF Sensitivity" or upgrades did not fix problem. (as of 10/21/2011).

I am at the end of my 30 day trial, what else is available with "Telephone Number Porting" available, as I put my number into MagicJack ?
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarge912 wrote:
I had UVerse VoIP prior. It had a line filter installed (M-150) Modular RFI line filter.
I installed it on my Magic Jack Plus line and the tones have stopped. Don't know for how long but it seems to be working now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Just passing along information.

Found more information on this filter:

http://www.wilcominc.com/Item.cfm?ProdID=104
CPUjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876,

You definitely are onto something here !

The last conversation I had with MJ support, told me to move the MJ as far from all other electronics as possible.

I had a mish-mash of wires as my network all came together right next to where I have the MJ+ connected to the routers & switches. I moved the MJ just a few feet over and de-tangled all my wires and low and behold, the beeping is dramatically less (not completely gone, but better).

I suspect that the MJ it is not well shielded or doesn't have much (if any) RF suppression, which would explain why some people have no problems (little electronics where the MJ+ is at), versus a person like me that has tons of equipment (servers, switches, hubs) along with analog phone lines all running parallel right next to each other.

Please keep us up-to-date as to your consistency of "no dialing tones" over the next several days, as I was okay at certain times of day, and during peak telephone hours, the beeping would come back !

Thanks,
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely get the beeps and due to getting the MJ+ device it is now located about 7 feet away from my wireless/wired Linksys router.

also have it on a line filtered UPS unit.

I hope someone figures this out, sarge912 with the RFI filter said it's back to beeping again.
CPUjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: I added a DSL filter too... Reply with quote

I have a box of leftover DSL filters from previous installations also, and I added an MPhase DSL filter. There appear to be two types of standard telephone filters; RF (that filters 1-30Mhz), and AM (which filters out AM broadcast & DSL signals). I believe the DSL AM low-band filters might do the trick, I will keep you up to date with how well this works.
edknn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved my MJ Plus about 4 feet from my modem and router and have not experienced any beeps since. If this continues working, my question is why didn't the people at MJ figure it out? Makes you wonder how they ever developed the product in the first place.
CPUjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: No more beeps since moving wiring, and adding DSL filters. Reply with quote

To answer EdKnn's question, I suspect that the MJ+ was located near telephone wiring, and they ran Ethernet to that location. What I was doing was centralizing all telephone wiring very close to where are computers, routers, servers, switches, and accessories all came together. After I figured out what was happening, I kept phone wires at least 12 inches away from computer wires, and remotely powered the MJ+ off a UPS away from a computer power strip.

I am guessing that they probably built the MJ+ to handle normal RF, but being that close to unshielded RF noise, was just too much to inexpensively filter out.

The device should come with instructions to mount far from computers, and if possible, to remote your telephone wiring away from computers. The MJ+ will work best if you use a longer Ethernet cable than the patch cable supplied with the unit. It also helps to plug the MJ+ far away from where the computers are powered. If you use cordless phones, remote the MJ+ near the base unit of the phones, and make a longer Ethernet cable to connect.
NewGuy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Beeps & Screeches Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the tips; I was able to fix the problems of beeps and short screeches in the MJ+ system I just set up in my house as a trial.

I had MJ+ plugged into a power strip with everything else. I unplugged it and moved it into its own outlet. I removed the flat network cable they supplied and replaced it with a nice cat6 normal, somewhat-round twisted pair 10' cord and moved the whole thing 8' away from the wireless router it had been plugged into and sitting 2' away from before.

One or some combination of those things helped solve the problem; the noise is gone. Everything looks promising now.
Magic Jack Tips
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Beeping Reply with quote

I've never experienced the beeping on a call, but I have when trying to get my fax to work.
CPUjohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Faxing may be getting beeping if DTMF sensitivity is high.. Reply with quote

I would contact MJ and see if they could turn down your DTMF sensitivity. If you can no longer dial with a tone-pad, then it's too low, otherwise, perhaps your particular machine/modem has an issue. I send faxes on my MJ+ with very few problems.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I have sorted the issues, with my Magic Jack Plus...
I used have problems with
The cracks, static,beeps, choppy and cuts in and out sound issues.
After doing these 6 steps all are fixed.

1) I made my Magic Jack DMZ on my router.
(Step by step : http://zaxa.ca/magicjack-plus-not-working-plugged-directly-in-the-router-solved)

2) On top of it i opened ports 5060, 5070, 49152, 65525 on my router, and gave magic jack plus a static IP.

3) I upgraded the firmware to the latest for my magic jack plus.Plug magic jack into a computer then download
Magic Jack Firmware (Feb 2012) 2.0.13 (a113100301d015) then install it.
For windows get it here http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe

A big issue seemed to be:
the location of my magic jack and phone lines... I had them all scattered behind my tv and mixed with my cat 5 cords/ power

cords, cable lines and router. The Magic Jack plus was on a power bar with 10 other things...
From what I read the cat 5 cords/router can interfere with the magic jack (causing cracks and beeps) ..
4) so its better to use a 14foot cat 6 cord(I got a new high quality one) and get the magic jack as far away from the router

and cords as possible... Directly after moving the phone cords and the magic jack to its OWN plug bang it seemed to work

better.

Although what i posted above helped.. I did a few other things, as it wasn't completely fixed.( still some random static

sometimes.)

5) I figured the Magic jack was overheating... during a call I put my hand on it and it was SMOKING hot... remeber this is

computer hardware so heat = BAD...i decided to get an exacto blade and pop the front plate off my magic jack. I then got a

plastic lid from strawberries and cut it to the exact size of the front plate.. I then poped 10-15 holes in the plastic

strawberry lid with a paper hole punch and then taped it back into the place the "magic Jack front plate" sat. I obviously

kept the magic jack faceplate so i can make it "original" at anytime.
(Watch this video to see him holding the front plate @ 5:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfTNHcLNdwk)

6) I also Used the included 6 inch usb cord to keep the dongle away from the power plug/heat.

Some other things you might want to know
I used panasonic 6.0 cordless phones.(Model KT-tg9331cta)- not required but recommended
The phone cord to the magic jack was approx 5 feet.
The Cat 6 cord I used was a rocketfish rf-pcc107 high performance cat 6

Since I did these 6 steps (dec 27 2012) my magic jack has worked perfectly, and I recommend you try the steps I listed

above.It took me many days of reseaching, and many days of frustration to lay out this Magic Jack Plus "fix" try them, I hope

they work for you as well.
slacker29
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had the beeping issue going on for months now. It actually started for us after we got hit by Sandy. We had some power outages but nothing blew as we found out over trial and error. We ended up replacing our cable modem, switched from a magic jack plus to a regular magic jack, did all the updates, put the MJ Plus in the DMZ and even put the PC with the regular MJ in the DMZ. None of this worked. Our router is a DLINK 655 which we just replaced recently as well.

After reading a lot of these posts we moved the entire MJ away from where it initially sat. We had the MJ connected pretty close to our router using a 6ft Cat cable and powered up on a strip near the router and cable modem.

We switched back to the MJ plus, moved the MJ to another outlet about 8ft away then ran the Cat 5e cable through a switch we have in our office that is connected to our router. So far no more issues with the beeping. We haven't had any reported beeping issues all day. I hope it stays that way. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
slacker29
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought my troubles were over after moving the MJ and putting it with a different cable, diff location, and through a switch but once again the beeping has persisted. Ignore my last post saying i got it working because it doesn't.

On top of that there is no way to forward the damn phone number to a landline. What a joke!!!
anyberg
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: beeping is gone Reply with quote

After many chats with magic jack online and trying a bunch of different combinations the fix we found was to buy a new DECT cordless phone and have the Magic jackass on the online chat turn off the "extension dialing". The cordless phone generates a dual tone when a number button is pressed which works fine at our bank, comcast, ect, when we need to "press 1 select the billing department". Try it it worked. We have our MJ plugged into our router. Good luck.
hempster
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Beeps Reply with quote

Hi
I'm having to same problem.Can you explain a little more in detail what you did to fix the beeps.I don't understand when you say to "turn off the "extension dialing"

Thank you

Max
Starfire
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Annoying beeping sound continually heard during conversation Reply with quote

As mentioned elsewhere, this problem can easily be fixed by logging into your Magic Jack account and opening the Chat option. Copy/paste the following comment into the Chat window and press Enter.

Hi - My MJ number is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Most people I talk with, report hearing continual, and extremely annoying "beeping" sounds while we're talking - a problem well-known to MJ tech support. Not long ago, I spent over an hour with your higher-level tech dept, and he had me download the latest upgrades and firmware for my MJ unit. He said the "beeping" sound can easily be corrected by having YOU lower my "DTMF sensitivity", then "RESETTING" my MJ unit. I have the MJ unit plugged directly into a USB port, now, and I'm logged in. Will you please decrease my DTMF sensitivity level and reset my MJ unit?

Be sure to replace the XXX's (shown above) with YOUR MJ phone number. The Chat person will make the necessary changes on their end, and then ask you to call someone to test that the beeping sounds have been eliminated. It takes about 5 mins. My experience with MJ Support has been great - they take whatever time is necessary to help you resolve your problem. If the Chat person is unable to help, they will forward your problem to higher-level tech personnel, who will contact you - which could take one week. A little patience on your part, could solve your problem, and deter you from throwing your MJ unit away.
[/b]
DanTheMan54
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: beeping and no dialtone Reply with quote

This weekend started getting the busy signal and no dial tone, and after over 3 hours in dealing with 2 levels of technical support having me doing all sorts of things with no luck they hung-up on me (had me move my MJ plus directly on the router in another part of the house, guess I took to long). After all of that I rereviewed my setup and found;

that my voice mail timer was set to less than 45 seconds. I changed that to 1 minute and my system started/is working.

hope this helps some of you to check this before you waste your time with tech support who are some of the least technically proficient people I have been in contact with. MJ really needs to rewrite these peoples scripts and teach them the basics of networking hardware.
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Changing DTMF Sensitivity Gives you Loss of Touch Tone Reply with quote

The problem that I had with MJ changing the dtmf sensitivity is that I then lost touch tone. Chat told me that they only have one setting. I can't tolerate the beeping, but I have to have touch tone. It used to be that if you didn't have touch tone when you made a call, you had the option to just stay on the line. That's not the case with all companies anymore. They end the call if you don't push a selection. MJ said that their engineers can set the sensitivity for both touch tone and to eliminate the beeping. I am awaiting the engineers email. If they do give me both and fix the problem, I will post again.
Arnie962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Moved to PC Reply with quote

New to this site and looks like a lot of pretty good info.

Well boys and girls. I finally gave up and removed the unit from my router. I plugged the MJ into a usb port. So far no beeping. reluctant to lower that dtmf setting for touch tone issues.
Rolling Eyes
Appreciate any pitfalls or reported issues with the usb use.
Thanks
Arnie
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to MJ's Facebook page and told them about this long-standing problem. They reviewed my long history with this issue and then sent me the newer MJ Go free of charge. It solved the problem. The new MJ must have been modified to resolve this issue. I was ready to throw in the towel. I actually bought a cell phone to start using as my new house phone, but after I received the new MJ, I didn't have to go that route.
Arnie962
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Great!! Reply with quote

SandraLynn wrote:
I went to MJ's Facebook page and told them about this long-standing problem. They reviewed my long history with this issue and then sent me the newer MJ Go free of charge. It solved the problem. The new MJ must have been modified to resolve this issue. I was ready to throw in the towel. I actually bought a cell phone to start using as my new house phone, but after I received the new MJ, I didn't have to go that route.

Great Sandra, Were you connected to your PC via USB port or were you connected to your router? Also , what was your connection when having beeping errors. I may try that also. Did they request you to return the old MJ?
Thanks
Arnie
H2O
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: BEEPING MJ+ Reply with quote

[quote="SandraLynn"]I went to MJ's Facebook page and told them about this long-standing problem. They reviewed my long history with this issue and then sent me the newer MJ Go free of charge. It solved the problem. The new MJ must have been modified to resolve this issue. I was ready to throw in the towel. I actually bought a cell phone to start using as my new house phone, but after I received the new MJ, I didn't have to go that route.[/quote]

Well, I did everything on this issue (MJ-Plus) you can think off. If MJ resets the account I loose touchtone responses. If I have touchtone response (handset, ie for tone for banking call trees, etc.) the callers on the other end get BEEPS every minute or two.

I called MJ one last time and got a Warranty replacement (cost $24.95 it was out of warranty but they promised to send a MJ - GO). Should know if this fixes that beeping and touchpad response issues by this time next week??

I have had MJ for 4 years and this problem came up about 3 months ago
SandraLynn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was connected to my router, but I ended up connecting to my laptop for awhile because the connection seemed somewhat better. The problem was that I had to choose between having touch tone service or screeching/beeping. A person can't be w/o touch tone these days. Every company uses it now for the most part. After awhile, I had no touch tone and I had the screeching/beeping as well. That's when I threw in the towel. MJ asked me to return the old one, but they told me that it wasn't mandatory so I didn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: