magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Number Porting MJ --> Grandcentral --> MJ or OOMA Id

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rawthang
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Number Porting MJ --> Grandcentral --> MJ or OOMA Id Reply with quote

We have had our home phone for years. Wife will not give up the number so I am waiting to Port it. For the past several months, MJ says PORTING will be available in the coming months but still nothing...I know I can use the Phone Number bank to port it and forward it from there and I might do it but this is what I learned and would like.

I currently have a MJ and love it. I use it as a second phone because my wife is always on the main phone and when I am on the main phone, call waiting is constantly ringing in. I have Grandcentral but with out of state number.

I want to port my number either to MJ or Preferably Grandcentral.
If I have it ported to MJ I will purchase a 2nd MJ.
I want to use MJ as my main phone.
I need the second because when I use the call forwarding function on MJ with it plugged in to the computer, MJ never Rings
At $20 a year, I can afford 2 or more MJs. Use the Ported MJ to forward calls to grandcentral for all the features. Use the 2nd MJ to recieve all the incoming calls.
I took an out of state Grandcentral Number for 2 reasons.
1st reason is an establised Grandcentral Account was given to me by a friend that had 2 accounts and there doesn't seem to be a way to change the number
2nd Reason. It was given to me because my Brother is in Iraq and can call Houston Exchanges for Free and this was a Houston Exchange.

I really wish I could avoid having to have MJ plugged into my Computer. I am thinking of when I can port a number, getting www.ooma.com so I can avoid monthly fees and not relying on the computer being required to be on all the time. I would prefer to find a cheaper solution like hacking MJ to work with an unlocked PAP2 device. Sorry if I have this wrong but would love to learn how to do it. OOMA seems like an easier but more costly solution to hacking the MJ and PAP2 but at $250 investment, I would be very upset if they go out of business in a few months. MJ pays for itself in less then 1 month compared to what I pay to Ma Bell.

I am interested in other Ideas that may be more efficient, cheaper, better etc.
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not cheap, but you could port your number to phonenumberbank.com and they will allow you to forward it to the number of your choice for $10/mo. I believe they are a telco, so your number should be pretty safe.

I wanted to keep my number, but didn't feel like spending $10/mo ($120/yr) for a number forwarding service. I ended up porting my number to VoiceStick and getting the Next2Nothing plan which has no monthly fee. I left a voicemail on it giving my grand central number and advising callers to update their records with the new number. The number porting was free as well.

I get charge $.02 minute for any voicemails left. I could also forward my calls, but there would be a per minute fee to forward so I decided not to do that. My solution may not be the best for you since your wife wants to continue to use the number.

As far as an ATA, check out the link in my sig. You can get a low power, small footprint HP thin client and leave it on 24/7 just like you would an ATA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: