magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noticed lag today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gooney
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Noticed lag today Reply with quote

I hooked my magicjack to my desktop this morning, and this evening i started to notice lag with my internet connection, took off MJ and all is well again... I hope they dont have any spyware or anything. This is the first time ive noticed this and ive had MJ for over 2 weeks now.

I found this in their TOS
===
Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads.
===

Do you think they give advertisers phone numbers we dial? because im starting to get phone calls on my cell from unknown sources and a couple of them from canada lol and i think its linked to MJ. Shocked
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooney,

I don't know if they would sell numbers or not, I would sure hope they don't. That would be a "Deal Breaker" for me. I would also plaster it all over the WEB.

The reason for my sudden intensity on this subject it because of your post and the fact that I received my first ever cell phone solicitation yesterday.

Last edited by HolmanGT on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
gooney

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called my bank the other day and input my account numbers so i can listen to my statements... should i worry? Shocked
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can put your number on the government do not call list it takes aprox. 30 days to kick in, it worked on my cell and home phone,it should work on MJ also. Are you guys using GC with your MJ? , google makes money from advertisement and I would bet that they could be selling your number after all why did google buy GC?, and it is free for you so where is google making the money. I am probably the only one in this forum who does not have or even tried GC with my MJ simply because its free and I hate getting unsolicitated calls at home.I could be wrong but guess what I have recieved 0(zero) unsolicitated calls. Smile
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge,

That is something, GC, that most of us probably have in common and they do have my Cell number, I don't think MJ has .... Oops yes they do I forgot. I put my cell number up on MJ for call forwarding.

Crap!

Last edited by HolmanGT on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooney wrote:
I called my bank the other day and input my account numbers so i can listen to my statements... should i worry? Shocked

gooney,

I think I would be worried enough to call the Bank and see what they think. But actually just having your account number would make it easier for someone to do things like ID theft and even draw money from your account.

ID theft aside if anyone pulls money from your account without authorization from you that should be completely recoverable.

I don't think we have anything to worry about, if either GC or MJ was found to be selling numbers and personal information they would be out of business in a twinkle. Either by customer attrition rate or the Federallies showing up at their front door.

PS - I hope.
Xen1969
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiousgeorge wrote:
I am probably the only one in this forum who does not have or even tried GC with my MJ simply because its free and I hate getting unsolicitated calls at home.I could be wrong but guess what I have recieved 0(zero) unsolicitated calls. Smile

I haven't tried GC yet either. I probably will at some point but haven't gotten to it yet. I haven't received any unsolicited calls. A few wrong numbers but no unsolicited calls yet.
curiousgeorge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xen1969, maybe thats why we have not recieved any unsolicited calls,could change if we get GC Surprised or maybe I am just paranoid. when I see FREE I always question the motives behind this very kind stranger that offers me something for nothing. Twisted Evil
gooney

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem why i was lagging... i had a virus name TROJ_VUNDO.AHE (file -> mljgggf.dll) some kind of adware trojan... it was hard to delete but i did it finally Wink
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gooney
I hoped the MJ didn't cause that virus. Otherwise we're all screwed!
Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
gooney,

I don't know if they would sell numbers or not, I would sure hope they don't. That would be a "Deal Breaker" for me. I would also plaster it all over the WEB.

The reason for my sudden intensity on this subject it because of your post and the fact that I received my first ever cell phone solicitation yesterday.

Interesting ... I got called by a couple of friends that said the same thing -- their first Cell phone solicitation occurred end of last week (approx 21-FEB). Hmm

I have been hearing about this potential coming ... it may be here ... aggravating and costly because you pay for both Inbound/Outbound minutes

Time to sign up your Cell with the DoNotCall list.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xen1969 wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:
I am probably the only one in this forum who does not have or even tried GC with my MJ simply because its free and I hate getting unsolicitated calls at home.I could be wrong but guess what I have recieved 0(zero) unsolicitated calls. Smile

I haven't tried GC yet either. I probably will at some point but haven't gotten to it yet. I haven't received any unsolicited calls. A few wrong numbers but no unsolicited calls yet.

Conceptually, GC is the "cat's meow" -- it is the (almost) the ultimate Telemarketer/SPIT/VAM blocker. (I say almost only because it may not be able to block calls that come from "Unknown" or "Private" numbers that do not show Caller ID -- though it claims to have builtin features including a Blacklist.)

If you haven't tried it, you will get hooked with what it can do ...

I just hope and pray that they (GC) never get hacked!!
gnimsh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get a lot of ads saying I should extend my car warranty, but I'm not sure if that was to my MJ number or my GC number. What I do know for sure is going to my GC account is American Collection Agency, calling the previous owner of my number in a futile attempt to get him to pay them...they always use different numbers, so every time I get a new one I set GC to play it the disconnected tone. It seems to me that all my telemarketing calls so far can be linked right to grand central.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: