magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No luck with gvjack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinuxBob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: No luck with gvjack Reply with quote

I plugged my MJ plus into USB port of Windows 7 PC. I installed gvjack program, created google email just for my phone, and never got the phones (wireless DECT phones) to ring for incoming calls. I got the firt intial ring which is supposed ot mean phones are ready to go but nothing else. I did get audio notification, beeps, on PC and the cell phone I "tied" to the account but not on the wireless 5.* Ghz phones.

Even more troubling, I cannot restart gvjack once I quit, log off or reboot. It does not automatically restart. WHen I select the icon under Windoes Programs I get windows message that the app gvjackapp.exe has been changed or moved would I like to delete the icon?

I guess I must be the only one to ever have anything but rousing success the first time installing gvjack.

Unfortunately, have to revert back to MJ for now.
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make sure we are on the same page together, the installation instructions are detailed on the program "Downloads" page here http://download.pcphonesoft.com/#gja .

The only simple but subtle things not explicitly mentioned in your description that are in the installation instructions are:

1. You must install the GVJackApp on an Administrator account. If you try to install and use it from a general user level account Windows will give you the messages you are describing.

2. Set up and configure an incoming phone number with Google Voice. The incoming phone number set up instructions are located here http://www.pcphonesoft.com/gvjackappdetails.html#menu .

Google Voice lets you port in your mobile phone number or set up a new easy to remember vanity phone number in your area. You can also set it up to ring your mobile phone and GVJack phone at the same time allowing the GVJack phone to act like a free seamless extension of your mobile phone service to use at home/office.

Before testing incoming calls again, place an outgoing call to the known working phone number 800-555-1212 and make sure it routes and works fine. You should be connected to an automated white pages number look up service.

If you have any further challenges, rather than post it here please visit the Product Support Center here http://support.pcphonesoft.com and contact technical support for follow help as needed.

Last edited by redpepper on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
LinuxBob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: will try install as Admin Reply with quote

it occurred to me that might be the problem but even though I was not admin user I had to provide admin password to proceed. I will try doing the whole install as Admin next.

How is the mobile an extended phone. If it rings when the GC number is called aren't minutes being used if you answer on the mobile provider's network even if mobile number not called?
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it occurred to me that might be the problem but even though I was not admin user I had to provide admin password to proceed. I will try doing the whole install as Admin next.

The GVJackApp definitely needs to be installed on an Administrator account as detailed in the instructions.

Quote:
How is the mobile an extended phone. If it rings when the GC number is called aren't minutes being used if you answer on the mobile provider's network even if mobile number not called?

For clarification, it is the other way around. The GVJack phone can be set up to basically act like a seamless free extension of your mobile phone service.

You have the option of setting up your Google Voice account to ring your mobile phone and the GVJack phone at the same time. In this case if you answer the incoming call when you are at home/office with your GVJack phone instead of answering using your mobile phone, the call is free saving your mobile phone minutes.

If you take it a step further and also port in your mobile phone number to Google Voice.

Last edited by redpepper on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
LinuxBob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying ALL phones including mobile will ring whether it is the mobile or landline number being called?

If not and just rings when the GV # is called then isn't the mobile simply another extension when within the house?
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. It just works exactly like I described above.

That's all the constructive information I have to share and hope it helps you move forward to get up and going. You can use the Product Support Center at http://support.pcphonesoft.com if you need any further assistance.
LinuxBob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redpepper wrote:
Nope. It just works exactly like I described above.

That's all the constructive information I have to share and hope it helps you move forward to get up and going. You can use the Product Support Center at http://support.pcphonesoft.com if you need any further assistance.

No, here is how ti works. When the gv phone number is called the mobile rings and acts as an extension. But if you think a call to the mobile phone is answerable on your home gvjack phones think again
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is that you will give out your Google Voice number as your only phone number.

You have the option of installing the Google Voice App on your Android or iPhone mobile phone allowing your Google Voice phone number to be displayed to the other party when placing outgoing calls from your mobile phone (ref. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice&hl=en ). You can also optionally port your mobile phone number into Google Voice.

Unfortunately, it does not seem like we have been able to sync up on the same page together anywhere in this dialog. Best of luck...
tubthumpr
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: I got one for ya Reply with quote

GVjack has been working flawlessly, until aug 20 2013, now all my incoming phone calls can not be answered, i pu my phone and the other incoming phone is still ringing till they get vm. any options?
redpepper
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification, the phone service and underlying call technology is provided by Google Voice.

In coordination with problem reports from general users on Google Voice's own forum and help and input from a few GVJackApp users, we decided to have a look ourselves and narrowed the issue down to Google having pushed out a bad interim update of its Google Talk Plugin (NOT the GVJackApp) to some Gmail users.

Many users have been able to resolve the issue by uninstalling the bad interim update of the Google Talk Plugin (NOT the GVJackApp) and re-installing the very latest version as follows:

1. Right mouse click on the GVJackApp and select "Exit" from the menu that appears to close the program. Also close any web browsers you have open.

2. Go to Start/Control Panel/Programs and uninstall the Google Talk Plugin (NOT the GVJackApp).

3. Manually reinstall the very latest version of the Google Talk Plugin using the link here https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin .

4. Click on the GVJackApp to start the program again.

In general, support is not provided for the GVJackApp here. If you have any further challenges, please use the Product Support Center at http://support.pcphonesoft.com .
LinuxBob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Call gvjack phone from office Reply with quote

I get busy signal 100% of time, even when no one home to be on gvjack phone. I can call gvjack phone from my cell phones fine, others call too. But for some reason my office phone gives me busy sginal when calling my gvjack #.

Sorry about not syncing up but this is a forum for Q&A and the support page redpepper provided does not address this issue. Other respondents are also welcome to reply.
MJPlusPlus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are able to get through to your Google Voice number from any phone except from your office phone and you get a busy signal, the company that provides your office phone service are the ones who are not able to complete your call and you need to report the problem to them to investigate and fix. One of the trunk routes in their network has probably malfunctioned.
LinuxBob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJPlusPlus wrote:
If you are able to get through to your Google Voice number from any phone except from your office phone and you get a busy signal, the company that provides your office phone service are the ones who are not able to complete your call and you need to report the problem to them to investigate and fix. One of the trunk routes in their network has probably malfunctioned.

And yet I can call any other number from my office phone without problem?
MJPlusPlus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinuxBob wrote:

And yet I can call any other number from my office phone without problem?

And yet you can get through to your Google Voice phone number from absolutely any other phone except from your office phone without a problem?

This type of issue of not being able to get through from certain phones to certain phone numbers happens between telephone network operators all the time. Have the telephone network provider that your office uses investigate and test it to make sure the problem is not on their end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: